X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apotts
    • Jan 2004

1098 popping help!!

Hello! Wonder if anyone can help (short timescale I'm afraid....)

Kit: Arcam DV88+, B&W ASW675, M&K K-17's and K-4's.

I have a Denon 3803, and I added a 1075 amp and was very happy. The 3803 processor seems to do a good job.

I've borrowed a 1098 from my dealer, and I put it back into the box, disgusted!! After setup, the sound was very thin and gave me a headache! Well I got it out of the box after reading about the sub setting level error, and I've got a much better sound out of it - better than the Denon on all Digital sources, but about the same on analogue.

But here's my problem...

Every time my fridge or heating or whatever turns on or off, I get a click from some or all of the speakers! I can simulate this with a cheap lamp and sure enough I can make the system make terrible noises. On analogue (but still using bass management, obv) it can even "stop" the sound for a split second. On general use, I get a click every 2-3 minutes...

Any clues?

Some things I've done, and some observations:

This is NOT a relay clicking!!!
    With the volume off (or mute on) the problem stops. At volume 2, it's there (so it's the 1098 innards, for sure).
    I have changed the power cable, tried a fancy Isotek one, tried plugging it in in different places, and even used an Isotek interference stopper.
    The Denon makes none of these noises.
    I only have 3 inputs, one analogue, one coax and one optical. No video.

One one occasion (listening via optical) the click was so loud the 1098 suddenly turned the volume down on me. Well, the volume indication was the same but the output volume was halved. Had to re-cycle inputs to get it back.

Firmware is 1.1.5, though the hardware is probably an early unit.

I want to like this thing, but the clicking is shocking! Any clues before I send it back?

Andrew
  • SpOoNmAn
    • Sep 2003

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the 1098. From what you've told us, it seems you have a wiring problem in your house. This is why I firmly believe in having several dedicated circuits for a home theatre.

Maybe someone else can come in here and say otherwise, but 9 times out of 10, what you just described is a house wiring problem. If I am wrong, so be it, it's happened b4 :LOL:

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
    GameTracker -My List-
    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• apotts
      • Jan 2004

Yes, I thought about this, but it doesn't happen on any other bit of kit I have.... The Denon remember was immune. I have tried switching off everything else in the house, but no change. And it is unlikely to be a dodgy earth, since the 1098 isn't earthed. I've also tried generating sparks nearby (with no effect) so it is most likely coming through the mains. I find it amazing that such a pricey pre/pro is so susceptible to such a basic problem.

There it goes again! That was the boiler clicking on....

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Sounds like a neutral bonding problem to me. In plain speak...the white wire is not making good contact in your electrical service panel. Try going there with a long handled insulated screwdriver and tighten every connector screw you see. If you are nervous about doing this or you have the DTs occassionally, hire an electrician!

Jerry Rappaport

Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075/RB-1050
        Klipsch RF7C/RC7C/RS7/RS3 SVS PB2+
        Bravo D1 DVD
        Dish Network 6000U HD
        Ultravision 65" HDTV
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• apotts
          • Jan 2004

Thanks for all your help. Spoke to Rotel - nothing to offer over what I've already tried...

Denon proc + 1075 = no noise
          1098 proc + Denon amp = noise, subjectively not quite as bad
          1098 proc + 1075 = noise

I also noticed that this proc is quite noisy at "idle", with the volume down there's quite a noticeable amount of buzz from the speakers...

Really not impressed, esp the way it dropped the volume to half on a loud click. Checked mains wiring, nothing abnormal (it's all very new).

Dealer gets it back this pm.

Might try again when he gets another one next week, since the movie SQ is better than the Denon.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Hi,

I went from a Denon 3802 (like your 3803) to the Rotel 1075 and 1080 amps with the 1098 processor and It was a magnificent change - awesomely better sound - clearer, more musical, more 3D, amazing stereo etc. I could never ever go back....

So - try another 1098 you probably have a faulty one right now and a good one is just magnificent. However if a new one also has problems then you have a mains problem and need an electrician.

Regards

Geoff Costello

Comment

• apotts
              • Jan 2004

Rotel and the dealer are keen to impress! Rotel are soak testing a new one and sending it up to the dealer for me to pick up early next week. If I like, I keep, and the dealer is more than happy to have it back if I am not impressed. All good stuff.

Sadly, I have to move house regularly (job related, and no, I don't rob banks...) and I need my equipment to be as resilient to poor mains as, say, the 3803 is. I cannot get a landlord to rewire a house because my expensive processor is picking up interference! If my Denon, my Panasonic TV, my DVD palyer, my Yam 3090, my £100 kitchen radio, my B&W sub (etc etc) can filter it, then I expect my £2000 processor to. If it can't, it isn't good enough for me!

Here's looking forward to next week....

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Dr.Rapp, please put your equipment list in your equipment profile, not your signature. This waistes bandwidth as well as messing up any searches someone does on equipment listed.

Club Rotel moderator, please make sure this is done, in case the good Dr doesn't see this post. I'd have emailed him myself, but I can't at this point.

thanks,
                Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

The 1098 (and a lot of other pre/pro's) are sensitive to power drops, which is what happens when your fridge turns on.

You could try a powerconditioner like an APC Line-R to make sure you get a steady supply of power. This things makes sure your get your constant 110volts (I think its that in USA).

I've used that before and found it very usefull.

Comment

• apotts
                    • Jan 2004

Got a replacement from Rotel - and it's a keeper!

The SQ is miles better, and the clicks are there but are now rare (one an hour) and quiet.

Also, I suspect I might have a modified one, since the whine from the centre channel is gone!

Thanks for you help.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"