• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wmn
    • Mar 2004

RSP-1098 clicking

Hi,

Here is a the text of an E-Mail that I have send so the Rotel Support team:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an RSP-1098 and I have a problem with the fact that the analog
    bypass mode is always selected by deffault when the digital signal is temporary shut-off at the digital input.

The problem is that my HDTV SAT receiver shut-off the digital audio
    output when changing channel. That cause the RSP-1098 to
    switch temporary to analog bypass mode, then switch back to digital input
    when the digital signal is back from the SAT receiver. (I dont have any audio analog cables that connect to the RSP-1098 from the SAT receiver)

That generate a lots of relay clicking this is realy disturbing, and also, thats my opinion, can generate a failure of the relay part in the long run.

Is there any way to prevent the switching to analog bypass mode ?

May be a new software update can fix that problem ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the reply I got from Rotel:

Good morning Sir,

I have requested new software. This software will only look at the analog or only look at the digital input when selected. I will find out if it is possible soon. I am sure this will cure your issue.

Sorry for the delay.

Andrew Shaw

Asst. Service Manager
    Rotel/B&W Service
    Ashaw@equityaudio.com
    tel. 1-800-370-3741x230
    fax 1-800-681-0673

This email message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. Equity International, Inc does not accept responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent.

The views expressed in this document are that of the individual and may not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement or recommendation by Equity International, Inc.

The reply from Rotel was received the 2004/02/17

I have updated my RSP-1098 to the 2.1.1 software and the problem is still there.

I hope that they will fix it soon.

I think that this is a good topic to be included in the Wish List V4.0..

thanks.
  • Fox
    • Nov 2003

I also reported this annoying feature to Rotel, but got no replay.

The processor losses (too) quick the digital lock with the two DVD-players (Sony an Panasonic) and CD-player (Denon) I have. This happens with all digital format (PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and MPEG).

What is happening is a lot of switching (clicking) noise from the relays with a faint "PLOP" sound through all speakers (also the subwoofer).

But this also means losing about 1-2 seconds of audio/dialogue. It happens really as lot, not only at a "chapter skip" or "layer change", but also at "pause", and "backward" and "forward" scanning.

Imagine how irritating it is when you have a DVD-menu who has a cycle of 30 seconds, its almost a continues plopping and switching noise with audio that starts too late and sounds like someone with a speaking problem.
    An other problem is that if I make some temporary changes (channel levels), the 1098 switches back to the default setting.

I hope the fix the time interval, because when the unit has it's digital lock, it sounds great.

PS. Any news in de RF shield? What's the status on the replacement.

Comment

• wmn
      • Mar 2004

There is a thread about the RF Shield:

I have asked my dealer to got the part for me from Rotel. I'm waiting for a feedback.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Wmn,

Consider your request added to V4.0 of the wish list.

Looking at the several posts on this issue, my sense is people want some combination of being able to:
        • Have the option on the RSP-1098 for any given input to be set to be locked on digital or analog and treat as silence any gaps in the digital signal, or if locked on analog, ignore any temporary digital signal.
        • Have the option of extending the time that the RSP-1098 retains lock on to a given digital signal and type (e.g. MPEG) before activating the relays and hunting for another signal type.

Is this a fair summation?

I also think this could/should be reported as a bug by you and the others experiencing the issue along the lines of "RSP-1098 doesn’t retain digital lock for long enough on certain model digital sources such as DVD players"

PPS - On my RSP-1098 unit with 4 different digital sources (coax and optical) - I don't get this problem at all - so it must be relaitvely source dependent - hence not so many people reporting it.

Geoff

Comment

• Zzap
          • Sep 2003

This is in fact the only other "issue" i have with my 1098.

One being keeping the display switched off during volume changes and two having the 1098 ignore temporary loss of digital signal (primarily when my DVD changes layers).

They are not major issues - not even close, but it would be really nice to get rid of them anyway
          /John

Comment

• wmn
            • Mar 2004

Geoff,

very good description of the problem and solution. I hope that Rotel will read carefully the V4.0 of the wish list.

thank you.

Comment

• Fox
              • Nov 2003

Geoff,

I have also tested this problem also with other DVD players from Toschiba and Marantz.

So far 5 mayor brands, I have tested gave this problem (Sony, Panasonic, Denon, Toschiba, Marantz) with the 1098.
              In mine opinion is this not a minor problem and sounded happen.

A friend of mine has a TAG 32 who also uses relays to keep the audio stream clean, and has no problems with losing the digital lock with these players (aka no switching noise or loosing audio!).

A hope Rotel will fix this soon.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Fox,

Thanks for this. I have upped the priority to Essential on the wish list V4.0. However Rotel understandably respond first to bugs and faults (as they should) so I suggest you also formally log this as a fault with Rotel using (say) the suggested text above. The more people report this as a fault the higher priority it will get.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"