X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frisco64
    • Jan 2006

Any problems with RB-1080?

I am new to the Rotel sound, but from what I have heard so far, I am impressed. I intend to purchase an RB-1080 with RC-1070 Pre. Are there any inherent issues plaguing the RB-1080? ;x(
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

There's a fuse blowing issue that can happen with certain speakers (seems random) and using the 12v trigger.

Rotel believes they have fixed the issue (I've only seen one report of it on ones that have the fix). If you want to be sure, get a new one and verify that the fix has been applied. In reality though, you have a 99.5% chance of not having a problem.

Kevin D.

Comment

• BWzes03
      • Oct 2005

I second that, I've been running the RB-1080 using the 12v trigger for some 3 months now and having no problems what so ever.
      The previous owner of the amp used to run tests on different DIY speakers, with many different loads put onto the amp. ranging from light (8 ohm nominal) to very difficult loads (down to 2 Ohm on some frequencies). Still, this amp does not break.
      There are some units that have problems, but they are few and far between.

If you do purchase the RB-1080, do make sure you keep it well ventilated, as this machine does run hotter then expected.

Comment

• DL86
        • Sep 2005

My rb-1080 runs perfect. No problems what so ever. Just make sure it has the dual binding posts on the back for each speaker output. And that it is a V3 model.

Comment

• gymguymass
          • May 2004

Hi. I have owned both the RC1070 and RB1080 without incident. The amp has performed flawlessy for me since I purchased it in May 2004. I do not use the 12v trigger as I learned of potential issues with this connection through this forum. I leave my amp on all the time. While the top of amp does get warm, it is not uncomfortable to touch.

Comment

• frisco64
            • Jan 2006

Thanks for the input. I plan on buying one from a local dealer and I will be using PSB Stratus Mini's. I will be sure to confirm that the 1080 is the latest model. I have been using a RX-1052 Receiver and I intend to return it to my dealer. For some reason my dealer seems hesitant to accept the exchange. I just purchased it on January 11, 2006 and there is not a scratch on it.

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

Why do you want to return your 1052? Is your Dealer The Home Theater Store?

Comment

• frisco64
                • Jan 2006

No, it is not the Home Theatre Store in NY. It is a local dealer. What happened was that I promised myself that the RX-1052 would get me through the year until I returned to seperates. However, as soon as I purchased my new PSB Mini's and listened to them I got the upgrade bug again. These Mini's are neutral and provide a deep and powerful soundstage. I want to get the overhead the RB-1080 would provide. I should have thought it over before purchasing the RX-1052. This receiver sounds wonderful and it sounds better than some amps I have owned but I quickly realized just how much better the seperates would sound...maybe I'm being too picky.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"