X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adrian carreon
    • Mar 2006

12v trigger question...

Hello guys,

I've been searching this kind of question regarding on 12v trigger it seems that most of the topics is about RB-1080 and getting some problem like bad fuses, L&R ch not working due to resistor, caps and etc. Just wondering if there's anyone here encounter same problem on RMB-1075 by using a 12v trigger? I just bought RMB-1075 three weeks ago and thinking of using a 12v trigger for convenient purposes instead of turning off/on the switch. When I checked on the forum I got those kind of problem which I'm not sure if the 12v trigger gives problem. Might as well live it on instead of switching on & off everytime I use it.

I'm using Marantz SR8500 which has 12v trigger output and connect to RMB-1075.

Also just a curiousity which is dumb, when I'm using a 2 channel from my amps am I getting a 200w /2ch on 4 ohms or 200+w /2ch on 4 ohms? Base from the specs (rotel.com) it says 200w / 5 ch on 4 ohms so when i'm using 2 channels only most likely I will get more? Sorry for my ignorance on this not sure if I getting it right on this wattage theory thing.

Thanks for your help on this.

Rotel rules!!!
    ;x( :T ;x( :T
    Marantz SR8500; RMB-1075 Silver
    Dynaudio Audience 72SE; Audience 122C; Audience 42 & B&W ASW 600
    Samsung DV841; Samsung DLP 50"
    Cobalt Cable Interconnect; Audio Quest & Monster Cable
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

I was wondering about the wattage thing myself ...
    if for example a rotel rmb1075 can do 120 x 5 = 600 watts 8ohms
    can it do 300w x 2 8ohms?

300w is of course an exaggeration, but how high can its 2 ch go?

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

The 1075 is essentially bullet proof. It is one of Rotels most reliable, under priced pieces. The 12 v trigger is not an issue, its a very useful feature.
      The 1080 had an issue with one channel popping fuses but it took some precise circumstances (possibly including the 12 v trigger) for that to happen.
      The output from the 1075 is discrete, so if your'e running 2 channels, you get the 120 into 8 ohm, 200 into 4 ohm per channel.
      If it were "bridgeable" you could bump up the output (higher wattage), but it is not.
      Bridging would be grabbing one channels positive output, another channels negative output, and then juumping the remaining two output posts together, but again, the 1075 is not bridgeable.
      Did your'e 12 v trigger out of your'e Marantz not turn on the 1075? There is a small toggle switch on the back of the 1075 to enable, or disable the trigger.
      Is your'e Marantz set up to "output" 12 volts where you have the cable plugged in?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by soundhound
        The output from the 1075 is discrete, so if your'e running 2 channels, you get the 120 into 8 ohm, 200 into 4 ohm per channel.
        Most of Rotel's other multi-channel amps will supply more power when only using two of the channels. The power supplies have more current available. Is there something unique about the 1075 I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• adrian carreon
          • Mar 2006

by Soundhound : Did your'e 12 v trigger out of your'e Marantz not turn on the 1075? There is a small toggle switch on the back of the 1075 to enable, or disable the trigger.
          Sorry I havent try the trigger from my Marantz yet.

by Soundhound: Is your'e Marantz set up to "output" 12 volts where you have the cable plugged in?
          Good question on that hehehe I never thought of that soundhound. I thought it's standard 12v trigger but the way you ask it seems that its not...luckily I havent try it yet maybe I might screwed my system by using this trigger stuff. Well, I need to check on the manual or ask the tech support guys from Marantz.

Soundhound & Kevin D

Now it's confuse me about the wattage theory thing...hehehe Sorry I brought you guys into this kind of theory about wattage.
          Like what I've heard and read when your using 2 ch out of 5 ch the remaining wattage will increase. Unless I read it or understood it wrong...hehehe

Comment

• mike c
            • Dec 2005

Rmb 1066

In six channel mode, the RMB-1066 delivers 60 watts RMS each (20 Hz to 20 kHz @0.03%THD into 8 ohms). In five channel mode (one channel quiescent), power increases to 70 watts RMS each measured by the same demanding standards
            I was thinking, the fewer the channels used, the more power to those in use.
            does anyone know of 2 channel bench tests done on the 1075?

Comment

• metallo
              • Sep 2004

Yes, ultimateav measuerd RMB-1075 with two channels driven.

"With all five channels driven into 8ohms, the Rotel clipped (1% THD+noise) at 131 watts per channel at both 20Hz and 1kHz. Into 4ohms, clipping occurred at 204Wpc at 20Hz and 212Wpc at 1kHz. With two channels driven, the RMB-1075 clipped at 161Wpc into 8ohms and 264Wpc into 4ohms."

I have used 12-volttrigger between RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 for about 1,5 year now with no problems at all...

/Daniel

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

For all intensive purposes Kevin, no.
                I am assuming most who come here with questions do so more for curiosities sake than for the deep theory.
                How the amps get "tested" and "rated" can vary greatly. As in your'e quote above metallo, you notice the wattage change with load and frequency both. Rotel is one who puts an honest to goodness "rating" on their amps, example 120 watts @ 10-20 khz @ 8 ohm vs brand x who one time was able to pass a 412 watt, 5 hz spike through it in one channel and call it a 5 by 400 multi channel amp.

Comment

• adrian carreon
                  • Mar 2006

Oh man obviously that's a bogus thing but it seems they do those in some brands, right guys?

by metallo: I have used 12-volttrigger between RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 for about 1,5 year now with no problems at all...
                  So far you dont have any problems with your amps (knock on wood)? Ok then so I will use my 12v trigger output.

soundhound,

I did check with tech support guys from marantz and they said that it's a 12v trigger output so later today I will try it hopefully it wont give me some problem like what I'm getting from the other threads.

As wattage per say my concern on this is if I make a right decision on the 1075(200wpc in 4 ohms) instead of 1095 (330wpc in 4ohms). Anyway, I already bought the 1075 so I think I have no choice on this anymore... hehehe :B :B Just want to know exactly (if there is...) the wpc on 4ohms.

Rotel Rules!!!
                  ;x( :T ;x( :T

Comment

• soundhound
                    • Mar 2004

Adrian, I still have an RMB-1075 for ht and will probably never part with it simply because @ its price point (bought 2 yrs ago for a little over $800) it is one of the best, if not the best value out there.
                    I bought and sold an RB-1080, (2 x 200 into 8 ohms) needed more power for 2 channel.
                    Then bought and sold an RB-1090 (2 x 380 into 8 ohms) again, figured I needed more power.
                    Ultimately I have settled on 20 watt mono tube amps. 20 watts gives me plenty of db in a 15 x 16 room. My speaks are quite efficient, but, I wouldn't get to caught up in the #'s game.

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

I just use the power switcher in my power conditioner which works perfect, no problems plus I don't have to worry about blowing my 12 volt on my RB-1080.....

Also, it would generally make sence that the less load on the power supply the more current it could send to the loaded channels there for creating more wattage. Not, a lot more but some more....
                      -Joe

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"