Adding 12v Trigger and silent fans to iNuke 6000DSP (along with other sweets mods)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinm
    • Jun 2013

Adding 12v Trigger and silent fans to iNuke 6000DSP (along with other sweets mods)

Hi all,

I almost posted this in my other thread, but thought maybe it could use its own. A few weeks ago I picked up an iNuke 6000DSP to run my LFE channel. These amps are amazing to run subs. The extra headroom for my drivers has added a very audible benefit to my system - and the DSP adds extra parametric EQ and a peak limiter so I don't over power the drivers.

However, the noise and lack of 12v trigger was a little more than inconvenient, so I started to explore my options. Read below for some sweet tweaks!

First, I found a guide to painting your iNuke if you so wish. Since I was adding a 12v trigger and voiding my warranty doing so, I figured why not make it more attractive. Along with the paint, I also added the o-rings in that the poster referenced. I don't want to take credit for anything, so take a look here for how to do it if you are interested

Click image for larger version

Name:	TcLnt2q.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	935526

Name:	Pdfn6uf.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	935527

Next, I added quieter fans. The existing fans are just standard 80mm computer fans, so they are easing to replace. I went with these on Amazon - decent price and amazingly quiet. I can't remember the DB reading before them, but without the amp on, my nose floor was 38db 1ft away from the amp. With the amp running, my decibel reader showed 40db - incredible. They are inaudible at my listening position. No problems with thermal shutdown either.

Lastly, the 12v trigger relay. Being a Pro Amp, they need to be manually turned on right-out-of-the-box, so I found a thread that has a mod for an internal relay to add a 12v trigger. It turns my amp on just like Emotiva amps - works great. Once again, I don't want to take credit, so here is the guide - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...n-thump-2.html

My parts were:

Omron relay from Mouser - http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...3-G7L-2AJ-DC12
    Mono 1/8" female jack - http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack...H4GBA&tab=tab2
    Mono cable to run from the relay to the jack (cut off the ends)- http://www.radioshack.com/6-ft-mono-...e/4202472.html
    10AWG wire from HD to use as the power jumper - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire...z0ukz9Z1z10nga

Name:	jgJOItZ.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	935528

Name:	5ENDTqe.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	935529

Name:	5dhs4ch.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	935530
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 17:57 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
  • oneplustwo
    • Jan 2010

Thanks for the write up! Looks pretty OEM to me. Do you know if it's the same process for the iNuke 3000? Not sure which one I'll get yet.
    Zaph SR-71
    Zaph ZDT 3.5
    Sunflower Redux
    12" Dayton HF sub
    CJD RS 150 MT
    Revelator bookshelf
    2x12 Guitar cab
    Corner loaded line array

Comment

• kevinm
      • Jun 2013

It should be the same for any of the DSPs models. I also picked up an iNuke 3000 (non-dsp model) to power my newest subs. The non-dsp models don't have the low voltage wire, so it's a slightly different relay. I've ordered another relay and will install it once I test the 3000 to make sure it'll work in my configuration.

I'm a pretty big fan of the iNukes for sub duty. What're you thinking of powering?

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Looks great in black. Good info. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to copy the info into this thread, because links go dead or get moved. Just show the referral link and maybe use the Quote feature.

The iNuke amps look great. I've got an old Behringeer EP2500. I've had trouble figuring out Behringer ever since they switch peek power in the model numbers.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Excellent write-up & great results!

Nice to know Dan (PewterTA) & I are not the only ones crazy enough to void warranties cuz we cant wait to mod something!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dar47
            • Nov 2008

Thanks Kev, Although my amp is in a back room I need a power trigger for my new 3000dsp.:T

Comment

• kevinm
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by ---k---
              Looks great in black. Good info. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to copy the info into this thread, because links go dead or get moved. Just show the referral link and maybe use the Quote feature.

The iNuke amps look great. I've got an old Behringeer EP2500. I've had trouble figuring out Behringer ever since they switch peek power in the model numbers.
              Thanks, K. I probably should add the guides - unfortunately quickly trying to add the existing post doesn't pull over the pictures. Boo. I'll figure something out tonight.

Yeah, that's a shame about Behringer's posted numbers. A while back I found a post from their CEO, Uli, describing their reasoning for showing peak numbers and not RMS. He was really passionate that RMS numbers are really inadequate at describing real performance because no material will ever match the same kind of signal - hence using peak to align more to music. However, I still wasn't a huge fan of they chose to advertise peak. A little deceptive feeling when the entire industry advertises lower values. -1 for that.

But, the value of their products is fairly insane - so +1 for that. Overall, I'm happy with them.

Comment

• kevinm
                • Jun 2013

Originally posted by dar47
                Thanks Kev, Although my amp is in a back room I need a power trigger for my new 3000dsp.:T

The nice thing about this mod is it makes sure you don't get the dreaded power down/up thump that the external triggers give

Comment

• kevinm
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by wkhanna
                  Excellent write-up & great results!

Nice to know Dan (PewterTA) & I are not the only ones crazy enough to void warranties cuz we cant wait to mod something!
                  I figured if I am going to modify fans, why not. However, I can see this as being a dangerous road, I'm a little more curious about other mods now

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Ha!
                    Yes, it is addicting!

Then you might be interested in this.....

Link to Mu-Metal Mod
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kevinm
                      • Jun 2013

Hehe, that's what I was referencing....I have a pair of Emotiva XPA-1s that I'm looking into making some mods on. Where did you acquire your cork?

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

We got ours here
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• BBLV
                          • Dec 2007

Thanks for the tips. Might have to place a few online orders to mod mine before it's even hooked up

Comment

• kevinm
                            • Jun 2013

Hi all, I have another fun little project. I found out my processor didn't have enough 12v power to turn on my 4 XPA amps AND the giant Omron relay. So I needed to add more power to the 12v trigger pathway. After exploring other threads, an AVS member showed me this Emotiva unit:https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/et-3

I wanted two inputs - 1 for my 2 channel setup (I use an iNuke to run my stereo bass bins) and 1 input to run the LFE channel (second iNuke). Rather than spend the money to buy 2 ET3s, I decided to try and make my own.

I ended up purchasing one of these:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of these:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these:

I then went to RadioShack and grabbed a bunch of 1/8in mono jacks (12v triggers) and a DC jack (I use a DC power supply for power).

I think it cost about $35 at most. Works great, allows me to independently turn on my two iNukes and I have 2 120mm PC fans running off of the other 2 12v triggers.

Project below:

Name:	NkNhNZn.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	884.3 KB
ID:	935531

Name:	RwAAIzK.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	935532

Name:	r8WWWde.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	935533
                            Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 17:58 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• BobEllis
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

Thanks for that, Kevin. Those relay boards are just the ticket for a sequencer I have planned. Too many DIY amps with conventional overkill linear supplies to turn on all at once, so using Rod Elliot's sequencer schematic. http://sound.westhost.com/project144.htm

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

Nice little box. It's very cool to see people creating and building solutions to their problems. :T
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kevinm
                                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by BobEllis
                                  Thanks for that, Kevin. Those relay boards are just the ticket for a sequencer I have planned. Too many DIY amps with conventional overkill linear supplies to turn on all at once, so using Rod Elliot's sequencer schematic. http://sound.westhost.com/project144.htm
                                  I've thought about building something like that myself. I am using 3 dedicated 20amp circuits to run my system off of, and all of my lights dim when the amps turn on

I did just start investing in Smartthings home automation, so I am wondering if there is something there with z-wave outlets as well.

Comment

• kevinm
                                    • Jun 2013

Thanks! I have to say, I felt almost as accomplished figuring this out as I did all of my speakers builds hehe

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"