X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeyo
    • Jan 2006

RCD-1072 spinning noise

Long time lurker here but this is my first post.

I've recently upgraded everything I got to Rotel equipment and am loving every bit of it but I seem to be having a bit of a problem with the RCD-1072.

With some CDs it seems to be making a kind of clicking or loud spinning noise. The funny thing is that it only happens on certain CDs. CDs that are scratched pretty bad make the noise but some CDs that are scratched like crazy spin perfectly quiet. Brand new CDs fresh out of their wrapping can sometimes make the noise. It is odd in that it really is only certain CDs that do this. I know, for example, that I put my friend's Arcade Fire that it will make the noise but I could put in my Solaris soundtrack and it will spin perfectly quiet.

What's especially weird is that on some CDs it's only the first couple of tracks that spin louder while the rest of the CD is fine. Even weirder is on some of them the first couple tracks spin loud then gets quiet and then spins loud on the last track.

Is this a problem inherent to this model? I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't sitting right next to me (it has to until the weather warms up and I can finish my A/V rack) but should I be worried? Anyone else experience this problem? Is something like this covered under warranty and if so is the repair process at the dealer pretty easy?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I know a lot of people complain about RDV-1060 making noise, but I haven't heard too much about the 1072. From the sound of it, it might have something loose that lets slightly out-of-balance discs wobble a bit.

I would get your dealer to swap it out or order in a new transport.

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

Mine's silent... dunno what to tell ya.

Comment

• mattstacey
        • Oct 2003

I have had mine for over a year now and haven't noticed any noise in the transport mechanism. I do get this with my DVD player from time to time but never with the 1072. Sounds like you have a broken one.....
        Matt Stacey

Comment

• DUCKY
          • Nov 2005

I switched from a RDV-1060 to the RCD-1072 because I thought the RDV made too much noise. The RCD-1072 is very very quiet indeed. I would be hard pressed to hear it even with my ear right next to the tray.

Think you may have a faulty unit.

Lennart

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

Miyeko,That is not right!!!! Sorry to hear this, as I have a 1072 and it is quiet as a door mouse??
            You have a problem and should tell your dealer immediately, because that is not normal at all!!
            Good Luck!!! Hope you solve this problem.
            Chinets

Comment

• BWzes03
              • Oct 2005

Thats very unfortunate, my 1072 is quiet aswell.....
              I guess there is something wrong with the machine....

Comment

• gianni
                • Nov 2002

My 1072 has none of these issues.

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

Mt RCC-1055 (changer version of 1072) does not have this issue either.

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

My 1072 is also quiet. My amp's xfo makes more noise than the 1072!

I also know that some scratched CD's will play on a cheapo cdp but not on a good one because the laser is more focused or something with the good ones... but it only happened to me once and the "faulty" CD didn't play in some other drives too.

So maybe check your some of your CD's with the dealer's 1072???

Comment

• DTK
                      • Jan 2006

Sorry to reawaken this old post but did you manage to resolve this problem with the spinning noise, as my RCD-1072 has started to show signs of this in the same manner eg brand new cds making really bad noise and old scratched ones perfectly quiet :cry:

Any pointers on what to say to dealer, is it a known problem etc

Thank you

David
                      RDV1080, RCD1072, RSP1066, RB1080, RMB1075
                      CDM 9NTx2, CDM CNTx1, CDM 1NTx2
                      Yamaha YST-315 (looking for a proper sub to match)
                      DA-LITE 16:9 Sony HS-60
                      Oppo 971HD
                      QED SR Hdmi

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

I would contact Rotel Tech Support 978-664-3820 of North America.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• DTK
                          • Jan 2006

Thanks for the advice, I will ring the UK support site on Monday, to see if they can help me or not
                          RDV1080, RCD1072, RSP1066, RB1080, RMB1075
                          CDM 9NTx2, CDM CNTx1, CDM 1NTx2
                          Yamaha YST-315 (looking for a proper sub to match)
                          DA-LITE 16:9 Sony HS-60
                          Oppo 971HD
                          QED SR Hdmi

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"