X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cdub
    • Aug 2003

How to reduce noise from a ReplayTV?

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience reducing the noise coming from a ReplayTV unit. I have a 5040 which i upgraded the HD to a 200 gig WD 7200rpm unit. Its louder than I remember the stock unit. I've heard about people using materials such as dynamat, sand bags or rope calking to dampen the chassis, but what i am wondering is how effective these options would be at reducing the noise coming the the spinning HD.

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Interesting. TiVo seems to be very quite, at least first generation ones are.

Hard disc dampening could help. We may do better in this case moving this to Tower of Power. If you don't get the responses you want here, we'll move it over there later.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

WD isn't known for being really silent. Does that drive have Fluid Dynamic Bearings...that makes big difference in quieting things up (seagate is still the quietest on the market I believe).

Course you already have the drive so that's a done deal. Maybe you could build a hush box for the replaytv unit...
      or
      Get it in an enclosed cabinet somehow.
      or
      Look into silicone grommets for your hard drive mount...that will kill the vibration transferring to the unit and then to the shelf...

Antec and others make these pc noise reducing kits...

"A RONSTER!"
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Cdub
        • Aug 2003

Thanks for the replies guys. The only "hush box" type apparatus I've seen is this http://www.nextgenelectronics.com/smartdrive.shtml . But I don't know if will fit internally inside the replay unit which can be seen here http://www.grandallusion.com/ (scroll down to see the internals of a 5000 series model.)

Any opinions on dynamat? It seems in this link that the reviewer thinks that all is does is absorb vibration of the case and does not necessarily dampen sound from fans or drives, which seems to be the culprit of sound in the Replay. http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=107317&P=2

Feel free to move this thread if you think it will receive better responses.

Thanks guys,
        Chris

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"