X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

What LP are You Spinning?

I have been lusting over a good turntable since I bought my first ‘real’ system in 1977. It was an all Advent ensemble: speakers, cassette deck and integrated amp/receiver. I didn’t have $ for a TT at the time, (just starting college) and could only dream of getting one in the near future. Well, 30+ years latter, still no TT! But what I keep with me is the memory of hearing the ‘primo’ system they had at the shop where I got that first stereo. It was a Linn Sondek TT with a Transcripter tone arm, Mac mono-block tubes, and Dahlquist speakers.

I have since heard good, better and way better analog systems, but have yet to own my own TT. Recently, a V kind, generous and trusting friend has lent me his Sota Sapphire. At the moment, I have less than 20 LP’s in the house, but one thing I know for sure, I will have a TT in the V near future.

Over 400 CDs, all I do is listen to the same few LPs. Those of you who appreciate analog do not need me to explain further.

With the background set, I would like to make the first post in what I hope will be a fun and informative thread for us......What LP are You Spinning?

The Doors - Self Titled (courtesy of PewterTA)

Click image for larger version

Name:	51j5TLbNa5L._AA240_.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	930941
    Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 16:34 Friday. Reason: Update image location
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

How did I know you created this thread!

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
      How did I know you created this thread!
      :lol:
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Just remember to get one of those steam cleaners everyone swears by them.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Raising Sand (Robert Plant and Alison Krauss) and a couple Heart albums (Little Queen and Bebe Le Strange). Also , Led Zep III.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Someday I might get a TT. We'll see. I'm still rather interested in building one. But I might be building some other things first. A bed frame and what not...maybe sanding down this old dresser and putting some nice veneer on it.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
              Joni Mitchel's Blue, the recent reissue.

For me, this is a tricky thread. I have over 4000 records, most in fine condition. No single one stays out of the shelves very long. I'm constantly shifting through the collection.

My primary music source is my vinyl collection. I only have about 400 CD's and 250 DVD's. Often I feel like a duck out of water on this forum which is so dominantly digital, as it should be given the HT focus.

Also, discussing vinyl on a HT forum is close to rebellion, isn't it? By definition everybody here is into digital media, not vinyl. It would be interesting to poll the members to see how many even own a turntable. After viewing all the photos of member systems, I think that very few own a turntable. Maybe it's more than I think.

From my point of view, collecting vinyl is very worthwhile. But putting together a vinyl collection now is difficult. One is almost forced to mostly buy used records. This activity becomes a rewarding sub hobby since used records are so cheap. Many of my albums were purchased used. A good record cleaning machine is essential. Factor one into your budget if you get serious about vinyl.

Sparky

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Karma
                Often I feel like a duck out of water on this forum which is so dominantly digital, as it should be given the HT focus.

Also, discussing vinyl on a HT forum is close to rebellion, isn't it? By definition everybody here is into digital media, not vinyl. It would be interesting to poll the members to see how many even own a turntable. After viewing all the photos of member systems, I think that very few own a turntable. Maybe it's more than I think.
                I own a TT although vinyl is not my primary source. I recall that there are other members in the Classé Club either into vinyl or considering it. Recently I was lucky to find a (now discontinued) optional internal phono board for my preamp to replace the Monolithic Sound external phono pre and power supply I was using. Of course the internal phono stage sounds superior to the Monolithic setup so I am now rediscovering my vinyl collection. Currently spinning various LPs.

My 20 year old Denon DP-59L with Audio-Technica ATOC9 cartridge; captive signal cables replaced with RCA sockets and binding post:
                Image not available

Image not available

Image not available
                Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 15:12 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

That Denon looks pretty darn nice.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

I'm listening to whatever wkhanna is listening to. Since he has my LPs. :rofl:

Once I get my Million records from the guy selling them in the North Hills, then I'll have plenty to listen to! :T
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Your buying a million records?

Comment

• DelRay
                        • Jun 2004

I'm listening to England Dan & John Ford Coley "Nights Are Forever" LP

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DelRay
                          I'm listening to England Dan & John Ford Coley "Nights Are Forever" LP

Name:	41BS16HyqWL._AA240_.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	930942

From Amazon.com: The duo's debut album for Big Tree Records. Features two of the biggest hits of 1976 -- I'D REALLY LOVE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT and NIGHTS ARE FOREVER. OTHER SONGS: I'LL STAY / WESTWARD WIND / LONG WAY HOME / THERE'LL NEVER BE ANOTHER FOR ME / IT'S NOT THE SAME / SHOWBOAT GAMBLER / THE PRISONER / LADY / EVERYTHING'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT. Produced by Kyle Lehning.
                          Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 16:34 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by Glen B
                            I own a TT although vinyl is not my primary source. I recall that there are other members in the Classé Club either into vinyl or considering it.
                            HI Glen,
                            That's a sweet turntable. The first Denon products I ever saw were their turntables. They were excellent. That was around 1977 or so.

So, do you have an extensive vinyl collection? Just curious.

I notice that no other posts on this thread claim to have a turntable. Are we the only two? I wonder.

How about you Alaric? Do you have one?

Sparky

Comment

• Bob
                              • Jul 2000

Last night I started out with Mary Gauthier's country noir, "Mercy Now".
                              Then switched to a old Abbott and Costello comedy album. Needed to lighten up the evening after Ms. Gauthier. Also, I started collecting all the albums I can find with R. Crumb artwork. I always listen to them once before I frame them and hang them up. All bad music but, fun art for a music room.

I rarely listen to cds, except in the car.

Comment

• Glen B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2004

So, do you have an extensive vinyl collection? Just curious.
                                Only a few hundred cherished LPs and a couple handfulls of 45 singles. Like many others, I did a stupid thing after CD came out by getting rid of a large percentage of my vinyl collection. Over the years I have been slowly re-acquring titles I once had.

Comment

• DelRay
                                  • Jun 2004

[QUOTE=wkhanna]

From Amazon.com: The duo's debut album for Big Tree Records. Features two of the biggest hits of 1976 -- I'D REALLY LOVE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT and NIGHTS ARE FOREVER. OTHER SONGS: I'LL STAY / WESTWARD WIND / LONG WAY HOME / THERE'LL NEVER BE ANOTHER FOR ME / IT'S NOT THE SAME / SHOWBOAT GAMBLER / THE PRISONER / LADY / EVERYTHING'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT. Produced by Kyle Lehning.[/QUOTE

That's it. Although the cover on mine is a little wore out. After all, I bought it over 30 years ago.
                                  I know it's a little off topic, but after seeing Glens' rig, I was wondering what tt do you guys have?

Here's mine.

Name:	DSC00767.webp
Views:	81
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	931073
                                  Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 22:03 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                    Your buying a million records?
                                    No, it's actually 3 million!

-Dan

Comment

• dknightd
                                      • Mar 2006

I don't spin vinyl much anymore. But do still have a turntable (Harmon Kardon T-60, with sumiko blue point cartridge) that I use occasionally. Mostly for things that I know are better mastered on LP than on CD. I've digitized a good portion of the things I like that will probably never be released on CD. I think the last LP I spun was probably MSFL Beatles Abbey Road.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Ok so must have been a joke.... Guessing you aren't actually going to buy it

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

Ha ha, no I don't have a spare $3 million sitting around, I think it was in my "other pants pocket." :lol:

I would have LOVED to get that though...I would've had I won the $153 million PowerBall. :T

I guess I'll just have to settle for what little my parents have left (they got rid of over 400 LPs) and possibly look into a TT for myself and start growing the collection.

Off to Jerry's we'll have to go!
                                          -Dan

Comment

• draganm
                                            • Jul 2005

From my point of view, collecting vinyl is very worthwhile. But putting together a vinyl collection now is difficult. One is almost forced to mostly buy used records.
                                            say what, where have you been in the last few years? There are more new vinyl records available now than there ever were except for the golden age of pre 80's digital de-evolution. It's also primo stuff, perfectyl mastered and true audiophile, 180 gram and 3 songs per side for better tracking.
                                            I will never give up my Cherished Linn Sondeck LP12. cuurently running a Goldring cart. soon switching to the new Ortogon 2M Bronze.I have been listening to Raising Sand as well as Mark Knoplfler and Emmy Lou on All the Road Running. the second one is my favoriite duet album ever recorded . Also picked up a couple of Mint Beatles from the Early 70's in MINT condition. Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road. Not really a Beatles fan though ops: For best sound, Diana Krall's Best of is a real knockout.
                                            Oh almsot forgot, I built this table for a good friend of mine. That's an OL modded RB250. It only took him 2 years to finally get me a motor but I'm actually going to finish this puppy in the next couple of months.

Name:	Black Beauty (Small).jpg
Views:	427
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	850083
                                            Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 22:03 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

Ah Ha!
                                              So out of the woodwork they come! I suspected as much.
                                              Have no shame, in my estimation, the sub-culture of Analog is a resurgent one, and gaining popularity as the Baby Boomers attempt to recapture their youth. This can only be a good thing, as it will revitalize the market, and make more choices at better prices for those of us that feel the medium is one worth perusing.

As far as Analog being a taboo subject here, I hope Lex would be supportive of our banter, since a great portion of the content here is about audio, and most of us come here to share our own experiences and learn from the experience of others. And if we should increase sight traffic, well that cant be a bad thing for the site, can it? Besides, the first thing I am going to do when I get my TT is order a set CatCables to run it into to my pre-amp!

I am thrilled with the early and numerous responses, keep it coming! I’m having a ball, and really like seeing the pics of everyone’s rigs!
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                • Jan 2006

Some shots of the Sota that is in temporary residence within my system.

Name:	sota1.webp
Views:	81
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	931074

Name:	sota2.webp
Views:	80
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	931075

Name:	sota3.webp
Views:	71
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	931076
                                                Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 22:06 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by draganm
                                                  say what, where have you been in the last few years? There are more new vinyl records available now than there ever were except for the golden age of pre 80's digital de-evolution. It's also primo stuff, perfectyl mastered and true audiophile, 180 gram and 3 songs per side for better tracking.
                                                  HI draganm,
                                                  You just have to be kidding or you are very young. Go into any "record" store today and just do a visual comparison of the size of their CD offerings verses their LP's. Sony introduced the CD and player in 1984 to the public. I was present at Sony's CES introduction; they had all of 3 CD's to demo. At that time all record stores had NOTHING but LP's. You could get anything your heart desired. ANYTHING! Building a collection only required money and taste.

When I said building a collection is difficult today I'll stand by that statement. For example, try to build a complete collection of Bach's organ music from the selection of new and reissued records now available. It can't be done. Or try a complete Sarah Vaughn, or Keith Jarret, or Joan Baez or ....... well you get the point.

As for quality, well that has always been highly variable. There have always been labels that sold poor quality and those that specialized in premium quality. This held for all genre. Nothing has changed. CD's are the same way.

As for the new reissues you should be very careful about being so dogmatic with your statements. While I believe there is an attempt at high quality pressings for the new reissues the results are often disappointing. That plus the selection is extremely limited. I much prefer to buy used. The selection is much better and the quality can be excellent. It can also be crap. One has to be very selective and careful, and have a good record washing machine. BTW, one still needs a washing machine even for new records. It is a great investment.

The current revival of vinyl is encouraging and surprising. In truth, new and reissued LP's constitute only a tiny, but growing, market segment. Whether or not this grows into a full fledged movement large enough for the record companies to start building new pressing plants and producing LP's in quantity is unknown. In my view this will never happen. Is the revival just a fad, a passing fancy? I think so. I hope I'm wrong.

And in the old days (say, pre-1990) many great pressings were available at common prices. Plus the selection was nearly unlimited. Now, to get the "audiophile" reissues one must pay real money, often for disappointing results. For example, my new reissue of Blue that I mentioned above is an audiophile pressing for which I paid $25.00. I must compare it to the original which I also have. My original is a bit beat up (it's all I could find) but the audio quality is outstanding as befitting its sonic reputation. The reissue is a quieter pressing (it is new, after all) but the remix is not sonically as good as the original. I'm certain that a new example of the original would be the one to keep. The original probably cost the typical $3.00.

Now, we must seek out reissues and new records on the web, not at our local record store. When we see the selection we must cry. One big advantage of the new reissues is typically the artists, the music, and original recordings were great. So, if the reissues are well done, they certainly can be worth the money. For me, my collection is so big and specialized to my tastes that I get very little advantage from the reissues.

Oh, and draganm, you talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not about to waste the forums time with my audio resume but I can assure you that I do. I'll just say that I have into high performance audio for over 50 years. I have seen and heard it all. I have owned and operated two high end hi fi repair shops. Some of my best friends have names you might recognize from Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. Just know that my Krell/B&W based HT system that I write about here is but a pale shadow of my main ARC based music system (with two turntables, BTW). Please try to have some respect.

Sparky

Comment

• draganm
                                                    • Jul 2005

HI draganm,
                                                    You just have to be kidding or you are very young. Go into any "record" store today and just do a visual comparison of the size of their CD offerings verses their LP's. Sony introduced the CD and player in 1984 to the public. I was present at Sony's CES introduction; they had all of 3 CD's to demo. At that time all record stores had NOTHING but LP's. You could get anything your heart desired. ANYTHING! Building a collection only required money and taste.
                                                    who the heck shops at brick and mortar stores today and pays the 8% tax? Go to acousticsounds.com and see what they have to offer. I can buy all the Zeppleins, all the Who albums, Beatles, Creedance,Dire Straits and more classical than I would ever listen to in my lifetime. Sure, obsucre things like Organ music is hard to find but the reason they're not available is because it's expensive to make vinyl and cater to small fringe interests. BTW, i'm 40 and thanks for calling me young :B

When I said building a collection is difficult today I'll stand by that statement. For example, try to build a complete collection of Bach's organ music from the selection of new and reissued records now available. It can't be done. Or try a complete Sarah Vaughn(sic), or Keith Jarret, or Joan Baez or ....... well you get the point.
                                                    ok, just for giggles I checked to see if you waht you said is true http://store.acousticsounds.com/search_results.cfm
                                                    Sarah Vaughan 5 new LP's
                                                    Keith Jarret = 6 new LP's
                                                    Joan Baez = 5 new LP's
                                                    Oviously it's not all their records but does anyone really want to own every record Joan Baez ever made?

As for quality, well that has always been highly variable. There have always been labels that sold poor quality and those that specialized in premium quality. This held for all genre. Nothing has changed. CD's are the same way.As for the new reissues you should be very careful about being so dogmatic with your statements. While I believe there is an attempt at high quality pressings for the new reissues the results are often disappointing. That plus the selection is extremely limited. I much prefer to buy used. The selection is much better and the quality can be excellent. It can also be crap. One has to be very selective and careful, and have a good record washing machine. BTW, one still needs a washing machine even for new records. It is a great investment.
                                                    I like buying used as well, but I have never bought a new re-issue mastered by Steve Hoffman or Stan Ricker that didn't just blow away the original. They're expensive at 30 bucks a pop but worth every penny IMO. Also, I can easilly endorse Classic Records, analogue productions, Speakers corner, Sundazed, Warner Brothers, and many others.

Oh, and draganm, you talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not about to waste the forums time with my audio resume but I can assure you that I do. I'll just say that I have into high performance audio for over 50 years. ......try to have some respect. ops.
                                                    Sparky
                                                    take it easy Sparky, I never said you didn't know what you were talking about. I simply pointed out that your comment about it being "diifucult" to build a vinyl collection simply isn't true. I guess I just assumed you didn't know they are still pressing new vinyl. AAMOF, Warner Brothers just openend a new pressing plant, so if you buy some I'm sure it will encourage even more pressings. Maybe even some Organ music just for you. :W

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
                                                      Organ music and an infinite number of others. Please, you are straining credibility. Or maybe you have not seen a good and large record collection. You know, one with classical, jazz, folk, sound tracks, pop, rock, etc. in it. That is what a collection is. When you quit counting records and measure its size by feet then multiplying by the average number of records per foot, well, then you have a collection.

If you are 40 now, then you were about 17 when CD's hit. Maybe you don't remember the golden age of LP's which was truly golden. Well, think CD's and substitute LP's. That's what it was like.

Let's end this silly discussion now. I'm glad a new pressing plant is going into operation. I want it to succeed. But I won't blindly support it unless I like the music and the artists and the quality is first rate. I am long past the age when I supported movements. Remember, I'm the one that has over 4000 records (a small to modest collection by some standards) that I love. I don't need many more. I don't have room for many more. Now, back the the general topic of this thread.

Sparky

Comment

• draganm
                                                        • Jul 2005

no troubles, I was just joking around anyway. I guess i'm still young enough to belive in crusades and was just able to be on the losing side of one in HD-DVD.
                                                        I also only have a few hundred albums and still have very little time to listen to them. Lets hope this litte Vinyl renaissance has a long and prosperous life.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                          • Jan 2006

Image not available

My Allman Bro CDs don't have anywhere near the soul or emotion that I hear on this LP. Pure life is leaping out as if fired from a cannon, creating a huge soundstage that is totally captivating.
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 03 April 2023, 15:12 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

I own a Sony PS-T22 direct-drive turntable. With an Empire p40e cartridge. I've owned this combo about 18 years. Though, I have not used the turntable in the last 2 years or so. There are two reasons for this. 1) I got a new pre/pro that didn't have a phono preamp (though my previous Pioneer Elite receiver did). 2) Laziness. And that is related to getting my Sansui Au-317 integrated amp cleaned. This could serve as my phono preamp with my B&K.

The Sansui has begun the crackle with the volume and sometimes, drops the right channel altogether. I have not been able to locate a place in my area (I'd trust) to look at it. I'm just going to have to breakdown and ship it to someone in the know.

I have around 300 albums. I do miss the music. There is just something about vinyl that's addicting.
                                                            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• twitch54
                                                              • Apr 2006

Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster....Verve records...Superb !!

Just a quick injection into Sparky's previous post..... with todays $100 plus a barrel cost for oil that too has an effect on the cost of new pressings I suspect.

I for one will freely admitt that I own more dissapointing $15 CD's than I do $29 Lp's !
                                                              Dave

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                • Jan 2006

Name:	410MGXGJAML._SS500_.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	931077

Pink Floyd - Animals

Off the few LPs I have, this is in pristine condition, likely less than 10 plays.
                                                                This is where the difference in analog truly becomes apparent.

The only way I can describe it is liquid.
                                                                Pure sonic bliss!

Oh, and BTW, V nice selection, twitch54 :T
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 22:07 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• servicetech
                                                                  • Sep 2007

Reminds me of my high school days back before CD players were affordable. Cassettes were all the rage back then and LP's were on their way out. I still to this day think the LP's I recorded on to cassette for portable listening sounded at least as good as the cassettes you bought in the store. I also remember 8track and Reel to Reel tapes.

I've since sold all my old equipment and LP's, never listened to them much once I got on the CD bandwagon. It was a lot easier to load up 5 CD's and let it play for hours instead of changing LP's every 20 minutes. LP's definitely DO have a unique sound to them.

Comment

• c019740
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2008

On my Rega, I've been lately listening to Jack Johnson and Beck. But its always fun to bring out the Foghat. Foghat Live!

Comment

• draganm
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by servicetech
                                                                      It was a lot easier to load up 5 CD's and let it play for hours instead of changing LP's every 20 minutes. LP's definitely DO have a unique sound to them.
                                                                      I'm sure veryone here has a CD player they load up for 5 hours of background music. Even I have one and I use it for parties and such.
                                                                      Vinyl OTOH for me is about actually sitting down and actively listening to the music. On my system when listening to well recorded music on a brand new LP, I can actually hear the vocalist breathe in between lyrics. Now i'm sure most people could give 2 shites about this but at this level of detail you can actually get an idea of what the artist was feeling when they wrote/sang the music, that's what I get out if it.
                                                                      Oh and BTW, Pink Floyd's Animals is an un-frickin, believable album. From the time you drop the needle one side onme it's a non-stop whirl-wind ride through the mind of Roger Waters. IT still gives me goose bumps when I listen to it. 8O

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Warming up my gear now-Nirvana , "Nevermind". Japanese pressing on heavy vinyl.
                                                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                                                        Marantz CD5005
                                                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 5673

Name:	318DW444M9L._AA240_.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	931078

A good Jazz fusion LP ( this example being in exceptional condition ) from the early eighties.

This one is also on loan, and I will miss it when the owner picks it back up.
                                                                          A great example of how piano strings can sound like the instrument is actually in the room.
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 22:07 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                            Moderator
                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                            • 2901

I think I need to make sure I here PF - Animals before you have to return the TT Bill!!! :T

I can't remember, did we play the Yellowjackets at all when I was there?! I'd probably like that one too!

Are you planning to make a run to Jerry's? I'd be interested in going if you do.
                                                                            -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 5673

#39
                                                                              Oh yes! the PF LP is a 'must hear!

No, we didn't get to play the Yellowjacket's LP during the meet.
                                                                              It is in V good shape, any quiet passages are as black as any of the best CD's I have!

I have not made it over to Jerry's (used music - tons of LPs) yet. I will be out of town this weekend, so either come by tomorrow (we can get a Killer fish sammich (a Friday Pittsburgh tradition) from Satillio's just a block away and hang out for a while, or we will have to hook up next week sometime. :T
                                                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 5673

#40
                                                                                OK guys, I need some help.

I found a used Music Hall MMF-7 (not a 7.1) for ~ $600 with a V low milage Grado Green cart.

Give me some opinions, if you can. I am ready to bite on this one.

TIA
                                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                  • Nov 2004
                                                                                  • 2901

#41
                                                                                  I like the sounds of it, the reviews I found say it's a pretty decent TT. The price you are picking it up for is very good too.
                                                                                  -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 16075

#42
                                                                                    John the younger guy that was there with his dad just bought an MMF-5.1 and loves it. I'll ask him about it. How much did they go for new?

I looked up the MMF-7 and it looks very nice! Remember I was telling you about steam cleaning the vinyl? Well John researched it some more and went and got a steam cleaner today and made up a mixture of stuff for solution that he found on line and said it works amazingly good.

Wondering what that Grado cartirdge costs because origionally the MMF-7 came with a really nice 400 dollar cartridge.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 5673

#43
                                                                                      The Grado is a < $100 unit, I have the option to buy the TT w/o it.
                                                                                      It would most likely make a good back-up, till I get a different one.
                                                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 16075

#44
                                                                                        Yeah... hmm I would try and make them an offer for around 500 just due to the cartridge if thats an option. If not it still sounds like a great deal.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 4143

#45
                                                                                          That's what I paid for a mmf-5SE (NIB). The Goldring Eroica that came with the mmf-7 is a nice cartridge-any chance the seller still has it?
                                                                                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                                          Schiit Modi 3
                                                                                          Marantz CD5005
                                                                                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"