X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

Upgrade help needed: RC-1070 or RCD-1072

Hi, everyone

I need some help here as I am planning to upgrade one of my components in order to improve my 2 channel listening. I currently have a marantz dv6400 dvd player, yamaha rx-v 657 as a pre amp and a rotel RB-1080 power amp running paradigm studio 100 v3 speakers. I plan on keeping the rb-1080 but upgrading either the dv6400 to the RCD-1072 or upgrading the yamaha rx-v 657 to the RC-1070. If i do upgrade either component I will still be keeping the old one for home theatre use in my current set up. I need to know which upgrade will warrant better 2 channel audio. I am mainly into listening to my cd's and not so much into watching movies.

Thanks in advance, David
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

well for two channel cds the rotel rcd-1072 gets high praise as im sure you are aware

while hdcd sounds fantastic, the actual material is hard to find

what you are realy paying for is the dac's and honestly feeding digital out to my denon reciever in pure dirrect i cannot tell a difference (admitedly my speakers arnt up to par)
    i also further question my own ownership of it at times, wondering if i'd of not been better off getting a player that does sacd and dvd a stereo....my 2 cents

Comment

• Bluespower
      • Sep 2005

DL86

I have been a Rotel owner less than a year (RSP1068, RMB1095 & RCD971). What I upgraded from was the Marantz 7400 receiver and their 5400 DVD-A player. As I've stated here before, I was not prepared for how HUGE an improvement I was going to realize playing CDs using "bypass" mode. It is truely a night and day difference between what I was used to.

I had bought the Marantz 5400 deliberately to save rack space but after hearing the difference the 1068/1095 made (and having read how many other users have dedicated CD & DVD players) I decided to add a CD player into the mix. I was all set to order an RCD1072 when an excellent RCD971 became available that I snatched up. Again, the 971 provided another noticable improvement.

Now, while I do not have personal experience with the RC1070, IF the "contour off" setting is equivalent to the "bypass" mode of the 1068, then my vote would be to go with the RC1070. That was the most notible improvement I've experienced in my upgrade path. Good luck to ya...
      Bluespower

Comment

• JDH
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DL86
        Hi, everyone

I need some help here as I am planning to upgrade one of my components in order to improve my 2 channel listening. I currently have a marantz dv6400 dvd player, yamaha rx-v 657 as a pre amp and a rotel RB-1080 power amp running paradigm studio 100 v3 speakers. I plan on keeping the rb-1080 but upgrading either the dv6400 to the RCD-1072 or upgrading the yamaha rx-v 657 to the RC-1070. If i do upgrade either component I will still be keeping the old one for home theatre use in my current set up. I need to know which upgrade will warrant better 2 channel audio. I am mainly into listening to my cd's and not so much into watching movies.

Thanks in advance, David
        David,

You have good quality speakers and amplification so I'd probably buy an external DAC like a Benchmark DAC-1 or musical fidelity X-DAC v3 and keep the Marantz DV6400 as a transport for the external DAC.

I own the Benchmark DAC-1 and use it between my RB-1080 and Pioneer DVD player and Yamaha HD1300 CD writer. A great improvement for 2ch sound. Otherwise save a bit more and buy both the RCD-1072 and RC-1070 otherwise start off with the RCD-1072 then add either the RC-1070 or external DAC.

JDH.
        Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• DL86
          • Sep 2005

So I can buy a musical fidelity X-DAC v3 keep my marantz dv6400 and my yamaha rx-v 657 as a pre amp, then connect the X-DAC v3 in between the dv6400 and the yamaha pre and notice a large improvement in 2 channel audio? Just a question, I send a digital output from the dv6400 into the X-DAC v3 then analog output from the X-DAC v3 into the yamaha pre? I was hoping I can still make use of the expensive audio interconnects I just bought if I choose this option.

Thanks, David

Comment

• abqnmusa
            • Jan 2006

I own both the RCD-1070 & to RCD-1072's. The 1070 is a good CD player with a clean nice sound. But the 1072 is a wonderful player. It adds HDCD for 20 bit play, and the sound is a big step above the 1070 in my opinion. Even at high volume the sound is clean with amazing detail. Every CD music lover should get a RCD-1072 and enjoy the music. For the $$$$ a fantastic player.

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

DL86, You can still use those nice new cables. If it's your best set, use them from the pre/pro to the amp. Or if your Yamaha is a receiver, use them from the x-DAC v3 to your receiver/ pre-pro. There should always be a place in your system for a great pair of cables.

Jeff

p.s. If you do purchase the x-DAC v3, please share your experience. I'm considering that, in addition to the x-PSU v3 power supply and the x-10 v3 Tube buffer (running all on the same system). Or the Benchmark DAC1.

Comment

• DL86
                • Sep 2005

Jeff, I just changed my mind about the X-DACv3. I plan on getting a X-10v3 for now and adding the X-DACv3 and X-PSUv3 later on. After reading a few reviews on the lot they recon you should first buy X-10v3 instead of the X-DACv3 because the X-10v3 makes an obviously bigger improvement than what the x-dacv3 will do. I just rang up my dealer and it appears they have a couple in stock of the x-10 I'm wasting no time since only 4800 of these units will ever be made. I'll post up my experience of the X-10v3 soon.

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

If interested, I will be replacing my RC-1070 soon and will be putting it up for sale.

Comment

• Jeff
                    • Dec 2004

DL86, I'm surprised they feel the Tube Output stage will have a greater benefit than their DAC? That doesn't seem right.

Regardless, give us an update on the X10 v3.

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

• BTB
                      • Jan 2006

Hi DL86

I recently compared the RCD 1072 against the Arcam CD73T. I ended up buying the Arcam after testing both at home for a few days with my RB 1070 power RC 1070 pre combo. In a nutshell, I reckon the Arcam is a more exciting listen. Better dynamics, bigger soundstage, sweeter sounding. By comparison the Rotel sounded pretty dry and consistently less involving than the Arcam.

Trust me, I wanted to like the Rotel. Built better and would've made a nicer stack with my amp, but the sonic improvements were too hard to ignore. I see you're also considering a seperate DAC, but if a one box player is still an option check out the Arcam and see what you think.

Comment

• DL86
                        • Sep 2005

Thanks for that. Never really looked into Arcam before. I just might go and have a listen to one. I could get the Arcam for about 200 bucks more than the Rotel.

Comment

• BTB
                          • Jan 2006

Hi DL86

Sure, no problem. I don't mean to be disloyal, this is a Rotel forum after all!! ;x(

Anyway, funny about the prices, here in South Africa they cost about the same, then again in the UK the Arcam's much cheaper than the Rotel. No matter, I hope you enjoy it if you audition it, it's a real cracker. The Rotel's built better though, if that's a consideration, but sonically there's little contest. IMHO of course!

Cheers
                          BTB

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"