X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boombox
    • Oct 2005

RCD1072 problems...

Hi all,

Maybe this is not the place to discuss this, but I have quite a problem on my hands. A couple of months ago I got me the RDV1040 at an excellent price. My aim was to go for the RCD1072, but I had budget constraints. Times have changed and I am in business for the RCD1072. However, the money I was saving initially was for an engagement ring for my girlfriend of 5 years and it seemed at the time that the RDV1040 was a good compromise. Now I'm having second thoughts on the ring idea, because the quality of my stereo sound increase immensely when I auditioned the player with my other Rotel gear. Though she does not know that I have these reserves, it will be strange that she sees new Rotel gear instead of a ring as we have been shopping around for a ring as well ($ ring = $ CD player). Unfortunately I don't want to let go of the DVD player for obvious reasons (..ie..no DVD player) and I know my stereo will sound incredible with the CD player :T .

Why do I mention this here is because partly everyone here knows the quality of the RCD1072 and hopefully understands my predicament. Another is that I know that if I don't buy the CD player now, I'll never do it (wedding, marriage, house, kids, blah, blah,...).

Is there another decent CD player that is cheaper but will match the RCD1072 in performance. I don't think so....does anyone have any suggestions..??
    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Boombox
    Though she does not know that I have these reserves, it will be strange that she sees new Rotel gear instead of a ring as we have been shopping around for a ring as well ($ ring = $ CD player).

You are lucky to live there in S. Africa. Here in the states, a decent engagement ring equals that of an entire Home Theater package, including all speakers and electronics!! Go for both!!

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

Let's see: a beautiful ring that symbolizes my devotion to a woman I love with all my heart and want to spend the rest of my life with....or a CD player?

Hmmmmmm.

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Is there another decent CD player that is cheaper but will match the RCD1072 in performance. I don't think so....does anyone have any suggestions..??
        Short answer, none.

The real question is, is there a better CD player that sells for less than 3x the price of the 1072?

Comment

• H.Donald
          • Aug 2004

A ring is just a little metal and a stone or two...it can be easily lost,stolen or sold.
          The love that you have in your heart and soul for her is everlasting and ever standing...much more so than a mere trinket.

Picture yourself holding her as you listen to beautiful sounds coming from your new 1072.....

See if she'll buy those lines......

Comment

• rpryan
            • Mar 2005

sorry guys, but it's the 1072. After you get married, it will be sometime before you'll have that kind of money for stereo equipment. On the 2nd point I haven't listen to a cd player that sounds that good for the money. I have listen to many that are better, but at 2x-10x in price. IMHO

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

Hi all,

Maybe this is not the place to discuss this, but I have quite a problem on my hands. A couple of months ago I got me the RDV1040 at an excellent price. My aim was to go for the RCD1072, but I had budget constraints. Times have changed and I am in business for the RCD1072. However, the money I was saving initially was for an engagement ring for my girlfriend of 5 years and it seemed at the time that the RDV1040 was a good compromise. Now I'm having second thoughts on the ring idea, because the quality of my stereo sound increase immensely when I auditioned the player with my other Rotel gear. Though she does not know that I have these reserves, it will be strange that she sees new Rotel gear instead of a ring as we have been shopping around for a ring as well ($ ring = $ CD player). Unfortunately I don't want to let go of the DVD player for obvious reasons (..ie..no DVD player) and I know my stereo will sound incredible with the CD player :T .

Why do I mention this here is because partly everyone here knows the quality of the RCD1072 and hopefully understands my predicament. Another is that I know that if I don't buy the CD player now, I'll never do it (wedding, marriage, house, kids, blah, blah,...).

if she loves you the ring wont matter in which case a less expensive ring is more of a symbol then an expensive one. Marriage ads nothing to a relationship that shouldnt have already been there. Ask her if she minds getting a less expensive ring, and see what her repsonse is. You may find that by the response a new CD player is better then a wife....either way you get the CD player

Comment

• stewfoo
                • Jul 2005

Boombox.... I have the 1072 and love it. The nice thing about being in S. Africa is that you can just go to one of the local warlords that has plenty of slave mines and dig yourself up a nice stone at a fraction of the cost that we pay here.
                Or was that Nigeria..???
                OK that was wrong... sorry
                Stew the Foo
                Stew

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

The ring. Spoken from someone married for 25 yrs. Make the loved one happy and in return you will be happy. If she sees you more interested in stereo gear than her, she may be history before you know it and you already have spent 5 yrs with her so ther must be a future for you two.

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

Hey you should do a reality show on this, "ring or stereo". Ultimately it would pay for the ring, euh, the stereo :rofl:

Comment

• Mitchell
                      • Sep 2004

Perhaps a turntable with a diamond stylus. Kill 2 birds one diamond.
                      Mitchell

Comment

• gd
                        • Jan 2003

Take the 1072 and run.

:twisted:

Sorry... couldn't resist.

On a more constructive note, consider a less expensive outboard DAC for your 1040... though that might be more easily said than done in your part of the world.
                        greg (gd to you)
                        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• NMG
                          • Oct 2004

LOL . . . I can't believe this question!

If you are honestly ready to marry this woman and spend the rest of your life with her, my advise would be to buy her the ring ASAP and THEN worry about the RCD-1072. I know it sounds sappy, but DON'T put material items ahead of something like love because life is too damn short and you never know what could come up to throw a wrench in things.

Now that being said, I already have an RCD-1072 :B

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

If you go for the RCD-1072 now, every time you propose an upgrade in future you'll be reminded what a rat fink you are for short-changing her on the eve of her wedding.

If you sacrifice the RCD-1072 now and go for the ring, you'll be in upgrade heaven for the rest of your life.

Comment

• Boombox
                              • Oct 2005

When I think about it, MINER is right. Lately she's been adding cd's to my music collection and she's always present when I audition audio equipment. She's more prescious than the most expensive audio equipmnt out there!

THE RING IS WHAT I'LL GET!!

Thanks NMG, I agree with you too.

Comment

• Boombox
                                • Oct 2005

I'm with you bigburner!!!!

Comment

• gianni
                                  • Nov 2002

Good decision Boombox.

Comment

• bigburner
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Originally posted by gd
                                    On a more constructive note, consider a less expensive outboard DAC for your 1040...
                                    gd, would you please explain what this involves and roughly how much it costs?

Boombox will be interested too as his budget has just been reduced!

Comment

• Boombox
                                      • Oct 2005

Yes, I'm very interested it this option....the outboard DAC....

Comment

• Nolan B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2005

Yes, I'm very interested it this option....the outboard DAC....

Would a good outboard DAC really make the 1040 sound close to as good as the 1072?

Comment

• jim777
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                          Would a good outboard DAC really make the 1040 sound close to as good as the 1072?
                                          For less than the price of a 1072? not too sure...

Comment

• gd
                                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                            No easy answers to that, as this tweak is done to yield a subjective, quality, "musical" difference.

An outboard DAC (digital > analog converter) would be an additional component that already exists in your CD / DVD player... theoretically, a dedicated unit like that should outperform the one already in your player.

However, the newer your player is, the less likely an older cheaper DAC will outperform it... I haven't heard the current model RDV-1040, but I imagine its internal DACs are rather good (if maybe not as good as RCD-1072)... and it may take a substantial DAC to outdo it.

Further complicating the issue is that there are relatively few DAC reviews (except for the well-received Benchmark DAC1, which I've not heard), and DAC prices vary wildly... in other words, you necessarily must be willing to experiment.

In my case, I've done this twice... about 10 years ago I added an Audio Alchemy DAC to my laserdisc/CD player... and within the last couple years, I've added an older EAD DAC... both units were used, and both created a discernible improvement in detail and depth... among the components improved is a Rotel 900-series CD player.

In Boombox's case, I'm not sure what the marketplace is like in South Africa, but DACs aren't commonly found in retail outlets here... you usually need to visit a high-end store for that -- and that might blow a budget right there... I'm budgeted too, so I don't mind buying used... this classified listing will give you an idea of the (US$) pricing for used DACs: http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?dgtlconv&1&ctg&st1

As to which DAC to recommend -- especially under $500 -- I can only suggest you do as I did... visit a forum where there is lots of discussion on the subject... on this forum, the favorite is the $1K Benchmark... there is a very expanded DAC discussion at Audio Asylum as well.

Happy hunting.
                                            greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Nolan B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by gd
                                              No easy answers to that, as this tweak is done to yield a subjective, quality, "musical" difference.

An outboard DAC (digital > analog converter) would be an additional component that already exists in your CD / DVD player... theoretically, a dedicated unit like that should outperform the one already in your player.

However, the newer your player is, the less likely an older cheaper DAC will outperform it... I haven't heard the current model RDV-1040, but I imagine its internal DACs are rather good (if maybe not as good as RCD-1072)... and it may take a substantial DAC to outdo it.

Further complicating the issue is that there are relatively few DAC reviews (except for the well-received Benchmark DAC1, which I've not heard), and DAC prices vary wildly... in other words, you necessarily must be willing to experiment.

In my case, I've done this twice... about 10 years ago I added an Audio Alchemy DAC to my laserdisc/CD player... and within the last couple years, I've added an older EAD DAC... both units were used, and both created a discernible improvement in detail and depth... among the components improved is a Rotel 900-series CD player.

In Boombox's case, I'm not sure what the marketplace is like in South Africa, but DACs aren't commonly found in retail outlets here... you usually need to visit a high-end store for that -- and that might blow a budget right there... I'm budgeted too, so I don't mind buying used... this classified listing will give you an idea of the (US$) pricing for used DACs: http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?dgtlconv&1&ctg&st1

As to which DAC to recommend -- especially under $500 -- I can only suggest you do as I did... visit a forum where there is lots of discussion on the subject... on this forum, the favorite is the $1K Benchmark... there is a very expanded DAC discussion at Audio Asylum as well.

Happy hunting.
                                              but before the conversion (digital-Analog) is done wouldnt the digital signal have to be good? I mean would the RDV 1072 not do a better job from the begining then the RDV 1040? Assuming bot the 1072 and 1040 used the exact same DACs would the 1072 not still sound better because of that?

Comment

• gd
                                                • Jan 2003

If -- and it's a big if -- the 1072 transport is in some way 'better' than the 1040, I can't imagine the difference would be audible thru the same DAC... it might be measurable somehow, but I sure would be surprised if anyone could hear it.

If you've got a critical ear for music, and you're looking into DACs, you might be advised to try one with built-in jitter correction (such as the Benchmark or my older EAD)... naturally, those cost more.

Whether that will actually improve the digital signal from the 1040 or 1072 (again, those are current models with good performance) could only be realized by testing, whether on the bench or with critical ears... neither of which I have.

And yes, there are dedicated transports to go with dedicated DACs... and again, once you're there, you'll find even more expense, more cables etc... at which point you wonder if you should just get an even more upscale standalone CD player.

Or new speakers.

It never ends, huh.
                                                greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2005

so, i fyou compared the sound quality of the rdv 1040 and rcd 1072 via the digital output only it would be hard to tell a difference?

Comment

• gd
                                                    • Jan 2003

I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference... they're both modern, quality components made by the same manufacturer, at comparable price points.

But I've not made that exact comparison.
                                                    greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                                      • Nov 2004

Checkout Ebay for a good used cd player depending on which player you want, they can be bought at a good price and also buy a ring on ebay. LOL

It will save you heaps. LOL

PS dont tell her you got the ring on ebay

Comment

• NMG
                                                        • Oct 2004

Great choice Boombox :T

Comment

• bigburner
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2005

Originally posted by gd
                                                          You referred to the 1040 rather than the 1050 or 1060. Is there a reason for that? Is the audio quality of the 1040 superior?

Comment

• gd
                                                            • Jan 2003

Original poster was comparing the 1040 and 1072... I can't speak to the comparative audio quality of 1040/50/60... I've not done direct comparisons.
                                                            greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Boombox
                                                              • Oct 2005

I asked my dealer about a DAC convertion on the RDV1040. He said that it is an option one can try out and he'll find out from Rotel here in South Africa about the costs. I'll keep you posted and also for those living here.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by gd
                                                                Original poster was comparing the 1040 and 1072... I can't speak to the comparative audio quality of 1040/50/60... I've not done direct comparisons.
                                                                i havent read a post anywhere where anyone gives a good comparison on these three models, for sound or picture.

Comment

• Boombox
                                                                  • Oct 2005

its 6 months later...!!!

Thanks guys for your input....6 month ago....

Finally bought the ring. See attachment...

I asked last night and she said: YES!!!
                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Congratulations!!!!!

How’s it sound?

Sorry, I could not resist.

It’s a very nice ring, My best wishes to you both!
                                                                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2005

Good work that man!

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2003

Bravo!

Comment

• audiojunky
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Mar 2006

Amazong ring - I really like the design. Congratulations!!

btw ... I was looking for CD players in the RCD-1072 range and found 2 others which are quite good.

1) Cambridge Audio Azur 640c
                                                                          2) Music Hall CD player

The Rega Apollo at around $900 is a little more expensive but is an amazing player.

Comment

• Vinny
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                            • 252

Thanks guys for your input....6 month ago....

Congratulation! Just read this thread by now..... or seriously I would come up with some saying like this:
                                                                            "Go get the ring and ask your friends to buy you the CD player as a marriage gift." :
                                                                            Pioneer KRP-500M
                                                                            Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                            Parasound 5125
                                                                            Oppo BDP-83
                                                                            Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                                                                            SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• chinets
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2005
                                                                              • 855

#39
                                                                              Boombox,
                                                                              The ring ,my precious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                              Lord of the rings is the ONE holding the 1072???????
                                                                              Just kidding, Give your girl the ring and live happily ever after...My 2 cents worth!
                                                                              Congratulations...Love over materialistic things any day..that is my motto!!!!!!!!
                                                                              Good Luck,
                                                                              Chinets

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"