X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slick
    • Aug 2005

Wise to buy RSX-1056 right now?...

I have a 2 channel setup consisting of a Marantz DV6400 (for DVD/CD playback), Parasound Halo P3/A23 combo, and B&W 704 floorstanders. I want to get a multichannel setup going, so I need to dump the P3/A23. I got the center I wanted (HTM7) and a new subwoofer (Velodyne DD-10) and the rears will come later, but I need a receiver.
    Since I can't afford a pre/pro/amp combo (What I wanted was a Halo C2/A52), but realistically, under $1500 is where I need to be. I was looking at receivers from Pioneer, Denon, and Yamaha and found them to be feature rich with such features as HDMI, Auto Room EQ/Setup, XM ready, etc. And then you have a receiver like the RSX-1056 which doesn't have these features, but is very well made and a high quality unit.
    I don't need the Room EQ stuff and XM I can care less about, but HDMI is an appealing feature for the future. I would love to be able to run ONE cable from my receiver to my TV (Sony 32" XBR BRAVIA LCD).
    Would I really be losing out in the future by getting the RSX-1056? I really like this unit, and other than HDMI, it has everything I would need and more.
    I only ask here since I really have no Rotel experience and would really appreciate opinions from those who know the company, or may even have info that I don't know anything about (and yes, I am aware that CES is going on, anxiously awaiting updates myself ).
    Sorry for the long read, just trying to make sure I make the right purchase.

Thanks.
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

I would see what news we get from CES but I don't think Rotel has a replacemnet for the 1056 that is going to be out anytime soon and incorporates HDMI. For myself, HDMI is not a deal breaker. Since it seems you do value music, there are more reasons to buy the 1056 than there are not to.

If you have to have HDMI then I would look at Pioneer next. It is a bit more money and though amp section/ sound quality are getting better, It's still not on the same level as the 1056 for music. On the other hand, the Pioneer has the features. You mentioned you don't care about those though so I would say go for the 1056. You'll be pleased with it. I still have it's predecessor, the 1055 and really like it with no plans to upgrade - I'm more than happy and I listen to more music than I do watch movies. In a couple of years, once the HDMI gets sorted out, then I may think about replacing it..if I can bring myself to part with it. Besides, I like to avoid running video through my receiver if possible.

Comment

• pramod
      • Dec 2005

I only ask here since I really have no Rotel experience and would really appreciate opinions from those who know the company, or may even have info that I don't know anything about (and yes, I am aware that CES is going on, anxiously awaiting updates myself ).
      Sorry for the long read, just trying to make sure I make the right purchase.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi There,

I second Gianni's comments, I also have RSX1055, and I'm coming from Denon, and WOW what a difference in music, specially two channel is awesome, I would never want to go back to Denon again for its fetures after knowing Rotel for its quality,clarity and detail. You will surreally enjoy it. and I read that the 1056 is more refined then 1055 in-terms of software etc.
      Good Luck.
      Pramod

Comment

• AGS
        • Feb 2005

Do it!

Hey Slick! I went thru a similar decision about a year ago now...and I never looked back. I'm really pleased with the way my set up turned out. I'm running the RSX-1056. I started with that and a set of DefTech BB7004s and 2003center channel spkr. I've since added the RB-1080 for my 40th birthday this summer for the front two channels. I'm now using the redirect feature to use the front channel amp to run my zone 2 inwalls in the kitchen and I just added the Panny 50PHD8Uk Plasma this Christmas. So my point is that this avr is very expandable...as are the others I would assume. But this set up rocks! I'm running component video with only one cable going from the 1056 thru the wall to my plasma and the picture quality is simply awesome! DVD and HDTV look stunning! Even SDTV aint bad...but I have a hard time watching it now that I've been spoiled with HD. I've also added the XM indoor kit so I can enjoy XM outside of my car. There are many options available to bring XM indoors now.

But perhaps the best reason to buy a Rotel product is this community. These guys are pretty damn good when it comes to sharing info, ideas, and help when troubleshooting is needed. You'd be hard pressed to find this level of support anywhere else! So as they say in the Nike commercials "Just Do It!" You won't look back either.

Cheers,

Mike

Comment

• slick
          • Aug 2005

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it.
          Main reason I wanted HDMI is so I can run one cable to my TV since I plan on mounting it on the wall.
          I was going to get a cable box which uses HDMI out, but decided to go with the cable card my cable company supplies, this way, there is no extra remote, and no need to use up the one HDMI that I have.
          I downloaded the RSX-1056 manual last night and went through it, and it seems to have the two things I really wanted, Component Video upconversion and a flexible crossover.
          You guys are also correct that I want something for music. I really do love my music, but I felt that the 2 Channel setup didn't do that well in movies (mainly wanted that center and sub to give my movies a more full effect).
          I just saw some sort of "video enhancer" coming out from Rotel (RVE-1070 Maybe?), judging by the display, it looks to have some sort of video upconversion, hoping it has HDMI. Rotel also has a new tuner coming out, HD Radio and Sirius (since I have Sirius in my car, I guess I can add it to my home). I think Rotel has what I want, and this isn't the first time I heard that Rotel makes great products for those that like music (also heard they pair well with B&W speakers, true?).
          Thanks for the help. I am going to wait for CES to finish, and unless something is coming out that just wow's me, I think I will pick up the Rotel RSX-1056 next week
          Thanks again guys.

Comment

• lmib
            • Jul 2004

Hi Slick,

don't do it, cause the Rotel Fever will kill you. :-)

I was in a similar decision when I came from a Yamaha 1300 Receiver. I had a Yamaha DVD 2300 Universal Player and was quite happy with this equipment, even when I upgrade my used IQ System 100 to 300 the yamaha was not able to run them really properly, cause they are real 4 Ohm speakers.

So I decided to go for a Receiver, which is capable to run big 4 Ohm Floorstanders. I scanned the market and there where only a few manufacturers of these kind of receivers.

I heard a few and went with Rotel. I'm really happy with my RSX 1055, but since then I changed nearly my whole eqipment into Rotel. I recognized a huge difference in sound stage after I went for my RCD 1072 and a big increase in picture quality after I bought the RDV 1050.

Even your marantz is quite a really good DVD Player, the RDV 1050 will beat it in picture and DVD sound and the RCD 1072 in CD Sound.

So be careful, when you have done the first step there is no way back. There is no medicine to heal the Rotel Fever.

But you will never look back. :-)

Ciaó lmib :T ;x(
            lmib

Comment

• Elvis
              • Jan 2005

Well,unless you have quite a bit more money to spend the 1056 is hard to beat.I have moved up the Rotel line and have a 1056 in the pawnshop area for sale(perfect).

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Good advice so far but also give this thread a look

Jason

Comment

• charles17
                  • Oct 2005

Slick, a few months ago I was faced with upgrade decisions. Initially I was going to upgrade my Denon 1602 to a Denon 2805. This was more a financial decision. I always loved Rotel but decided the savings was worth it UNTIL I listened a Rotel setup.

Out of the window went the budget and the order was placed for my RSX 1056. I love the music - way better than my old Denon. The home theatre is more realistic, but not quite as dynamic as I would have liked. I have made some small tweaks and that has made HT better and is more involving now.

My point of view - go for it. I have loved so many aspects, so good luck.

Comment

• slick
                    • Aug 2005

I'm quite sure I am going to get the RSX-1056 (RSP-1068 would be prefered, but then I would need an amp also). I see that Rotel is releasing APC branded line conditioners, that would be nice also. And if that RVE-1070 unit is what I think it is, then HDMI will be covered also.
                    Thanks for the help guys, I'll see what happens when I visit my local Rotel dealer this week

Comment

• slick
                      • Aug 2005

Might be getting a good deal on one. Went to the local dealer (same place I bought the Marantz Dv6400 and B&W 704/HTM7 from) and they had one in the store, someone ordered it a week ago. Just today, the guy that ordered called in to ask about another reciever, he made it sound like he didn't want the Rotel. If they find out he doesn't want it and goes with something else, they will sell it to me at a discount (they don't normally stock the RSX-1056, for recievers, they use the Pioneer Elite, for Pre/Pro's they use the Rotel).
                      I forgot to ask what color it was, either way its fine with me, but what color do you guys prefer?

Comment

• grit
                        • Jan 2005

I'm a fan of the silver-face equipment, but they both sound the same

Comment

• gd
                          • Jan 2003

Everybody knows the black ones sound better...
                          greg (gd to you)
                          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• slick
                            • Aug 2005

I might ask to listen to both, a black and silver model and make the "sound" judgement myself, lol.
                            kind of hoping its silver, saw a lot of silver Rotel products in the sticky thread and they seem to be more pleasing to the eye to me (love the blue lighting also).

Comment

• slick
                              • Aug 2005

Darn, forgot to ask one question. I heard that this receiver can be used as a 7.1 receiver if I add a 2 channel amp to it, is this true?

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by slick
                                Darn, forgot to ask one question. I heard that this receiver can be used as a 7.1 receiver if I add a 2 channel amp to it, is this true?
                                :yesnod:
                                Jason

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"