X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

What is HDMI 1.3 (and who should care)

The seven HDMl Founder companies (Hitachi, Ltd.; Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.; [Panasonic]; Philips Consumer Electronics International B.V.; Silicon Image, Inc.; Sony Corp.; Thomson, Inc.; and Toshiba Corp.) at the recent International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) highlighted key capabilities under development for the next version (v1.3) of High-Definition Multimedia Interface'" (HDMI'") targeted for the first half of 2006, including support for deep color, higher speed, and easier integration into personal computers. According to its developers, HDMl dramatically simplifies cabling and helps provide consumers with the highest-quality home theatre experience. All-digital audio and video is delivered via a single cable. According to its developers, new capabilities under development for HDMl include:

Higher speed: Though HDMl has more than twice the bandwidth needed to support all HDTV formats, HDMl will increase its single-link bandwidth to support the demands of future HD display devices, such as higher resolutions, deep color, and high frame rates.
    Deep color: HDMl will support 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit color depths for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.
    Greater PCICE convergence: HDMl will be enhanced for easier integration into low voltage, AC-coupled PC graphics controllers, cementing HDMl's position as the de facto standard digital multimedia interface enabling true convergence across PC and CE platforms. The HDMl Founders also support compatibility between HDMl and the Unified Display Interface (UDI), the HDMI-compatible digital video interface for PC displays announced recently by a group of leading PC technology makers.
    New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless HDTV connectivity, HDMI will offer a new, smaller form factor connector option. Since HDMI offers the highest quality digital audio and video on a single connection, such devices will benefit from a reduced connector count.
    Lip Sync: CE devices are employing increasingly complex digital signal processing of high resolution video and audio formats to enhance the clarity and detail of the content. As a result, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments.

HDMl will incorporate features to enable this synchronization to be done automatically by the devices with greater accuracy.

New compressed audio formats: In addition to HDMl's current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby Digital and DTS*), HDMl will add additional support for new compressed and lossless digital audio formats Dolby True HD and DTS-HD. Products implementing these new versions of the HDMl specification will continue to be fully backward compatible with earlier HDMl products and support of 1080p.

"HDMI is an evolving standard, designed to meet the needs of a dynamic marketplace," said Leslie Chard, President of HDMl Licensing, LLC. "These new capabilities, currently under development, reflect how HDMl continues to adapt to new market developments, specifically the need for increased bandwidth and the inevitable convergence of consumer electronics with PC devices." The announcement at CES comes as HDMl solidifies its position as the de facto standard digital interface for HD and the consumer electronics market. HDMl Licensing, LLC announced that more than 300 makers of consumer electronics and PC products worldwide have adopted HDMI. More than 17 million devices featuring HDMl were shipped during 2005, and 59 million more are expected to ship

in 2006, according to market researcher In-Stat.

Most major HDTV manufacturers have incorporated HDMl inputs into their latest offerings. HDMl has also been incorporated into media PCs, DVD players, DVD recorders, cable set-top boxes, satellite set-top boxes, and A/V receivers, with HDMl expected in game consoles and camcorders during 2006.

Internationally, HDMl is undergoing significant growth. In China, which alone accounts for almost a third of the world's television owning households, 45 mainland Chinese companies have become HDMl Adopters, and the number is growing rapidly. In November 2005, China's first HDMl testing facility was announced in Shenzen, which will greatly simplify and accelerate the process of bringing HDMl to the Chinese market. In August, the Cable and Satellite Broadcast Association of Asia (CASBAA) recommended that HDMl (or DVI) and HDCP "be included on every set-top box capable of outputting uncompressed high-definition content.'' In Europe, the European Information & Communications Technology Industry Association (EICTA) in 2005 mandated that all HDTVs displaying the HD Ready logo must include HDMI or DVI inputs.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Good info Andrew :T
    Jason

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Indeed that is a wealth of information.

I've just connected my HDMI cable from my Pioneer AVi59 to the Panny 900U and viola 720p via DVD, man it's beautiful thing to behold. I await with breathless anticipation for HDMI 1.3, it is hard to believe that it can be better than this. The kids are sleeping with mom, so I can watch HD until my hearts content (or until I fall asleep). I might have to go through my DVD collection again.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
      Last edited by Azeke; 03 March 2006, 09:05 Friday.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I too think that 1.3 will be a good thing. Just waiting for it to be released, along with DD+, DTS-HD, etc... (and where the heck is the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray that keeps getting pushed back?)
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
          I too think that 1.3 will be a good thing. Just waiting for it to be released, along with DD+, DTS-HD, etc... (and where the heck is the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray that keeps getting pushed back?)

I bet we see HDMI 1.3 no sooner than 12 months... that's an odd way to say that, I guess I mean, if we see it inside of a year from now i'll be shocked.

But!

it is being developed

fort that matter:
          (so are personal hoovercraft) :Z
          Last edited by Chris D; 05 December 2016, 12:31 Monday.

Comment

• Wick
            • Dec 2005

Are TV's spec'd out for a certain HDMI version? For example, will a current high end tv on the market today allow the full capabilities of HDMI 1.3? or will it be limited to what HDMI version was out when the tv was made?

I've only noticed HDMI versions spec'd on DVD players, so I'm guessing it affects those.
            Paul

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

I believe all HDMI is capable of 1080P so we're good there. Audio wise is another story..

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Wick
                Are TV's spec'd out for a certain HDMI version? For example, will a current high end tv on the market today allow the full capabilities of HDMI 1.3? or will it be limited to what HDMI version was out when the tv was made?

I've only noticed HDMI versions spec'd on DVD players, so I'm guessing it affects those.
                DVI TV's are not going to be fully 1.3 compatible
                no worries otherwise

Comment

• tmwalsh
                  • Jan 2006

I haven't really concerned myself with hdmi 1.3 (or any other iteration) but in talking with a buddy at work I got to thinking: exactly what is all the fuss about? I realize it will allow multi-channel audio and (hd) video but are you only passing the video to the tv/monitor? You wouldn't be running audio to the monitor since that would defeat the purpose.
                  So, if you have hdmi out from your source (dvd player, stb) you'd need a compatible hdmi in for your processor or avr. From the processor, wouldn't you run just a video-only connection to the monitor? No need to pass audio. Or is this just a question of "one cable vs. 3" in the case of RGB component?
                  I thought I kind of understood this but in retrospect, I must be missing something since it doesn't seem to be the A/V "silver bullet" cure all.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

The new HD audio formats from DD/DTS can only be transmitted, compressed, to a processor to decode, do bass management/delay settings via 1.3. I believe 1.1 is compatible with an uncompressed copy of the HD-audio formats where the player does the processing and signal manipulation.
                    Jason

Comment

• tmwalsh
                      • Jan 2006

Thanks. I'd have to do considerable upgrades since nothing I currently have includes any hdmi. taken as a whole, that's quite an investment and not something I'm really ready to think about!

I'm starting to think those two-channel, audio-only guys are onto something.

Comment

• zorg
                        • Dec 2005

frogive my dumb question will speaker setup will you need to get the best from 1.3 ie 7.1?

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

No problem, Zorg, actually, the question should not really be phrased in terms of speaker setup for HDMI 1.3, (or video resolution, or whatever) as HDMI is simply a transport for video and audio signals, based on current technology. HDMI 1.3 will support all current video and audio standards, as well as those planned for the next few years. If you want to maximize HDMI 1.3's CAPABILITY, (and if you had all the cash necessary) you'd buy video displays of at LEAST 1080p resolution and a 7.1 setup. 1.3 supports resolution past 1080p, but that's pretty much all you're going to get now out of sources and displays. Somewhat along the same lines, as far as I know, the highest source audio setup still is only 6.1, which is of itself even rare. (DTS ES and DD EX) Blu-Ray and HD-DVD do have the capability of DISCRETE 7.1 audio, but I don't know of any discs yet that actually take advantage of it.

Bottom line, if I were planning a setup right now, I'd go for 1080p video, and 7.1 audio.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• zorg
                            • Dec 2005

thanks for the reply Chris, thats what I am planning, even if i have to wait a while, getting a new abode built so will get the wiring done for 7.1 along with 2 subs.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Yeah :T
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"