X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conchuco
    • Dec 2003

1095 protection leds giving some fun?

Hello all,

I'm a new ( and happy ) rotel user for over two months now. 1066 + 1095 feeding a pair of b&w n804 as mains, htm1 as centre and 2x705 as rears. To say that I'm enchanted with the system's performance is an understatement !
    I found a buzz/hiss problem with the 1095 which was quickly addressed after careful checking of all my interconnects ( kinda ground loop, for sure ).
    Now all is ok, but... there's still an annoying, yet not - apparently - serious issue with the 1095.

Let's assume the 1095 has been turned off all the night. Let's say, 8-10 hours. You wake up and turn it on. For my initial dismay, the centre-channel protection led will light up in that menacing red tone. A quick look at the manual states that "under rare circumstances, when the protection leds light up, the channel will be shut down and no sound will come from that channel".
    First in the mouth. The channel not only doesn't shut down, but it sounds flawlessly ! Somehow, the protection circuit is engaged but not damaging sonic performance (??). The manual isn't very clear at this point : it talks about some kind of "overcurrent protection which has not sonic impact", if I remember well.

Now wait. As seconds pass, the center-channel protection led starts to... gradually turn off ! first starts flashing lightly... from solid-red to now-red-now-black ... as time elapses, is more often black than red.. and finally, is always black ( i.e., turned off, as it should have been always ) with occasional red flashes.
    Within 2-3 minutes, the led turns completly off, and everything continues working just perfect. This is regardless of the use of the 1095 : wether you're playing music or not, is irrelevant : it will take from 2 to 3 minutes to "calm down" the center channel protection led.

With some experimentation ( and a termometer,duh ! ) I've been able to make somewhat of a relation, between temp/humidity and the time needed by the 1095 to "stabilise". The colder the ambience is, more time will be needed by the 1095 in order to shut down completly the led. With 10ºC, the unit need a "warming time" of about 4 mins. 15ºC will need only a round 2.
    I use the term "warming", because I've come to the conclusion, that this is somehow a warm-up problem. How could you explain, that 2-3 mins. after being turned on, the protection led starts to fall off and finally turns itself off.
    Of course, many things escape to my knowledge here. Why is only the center channel affected by this issue, for one. Why my local retailer hasn't been able to provide me with an acceptable explanation of this, for other. And, in the name of the Stygian Abyss, what the HELL is exactly going on inside my 1095 ???
    I searched for rotel customer support, but I wasn't able to find any kind of email address for such a purpouse. If someone here could provide me with a clue about what's going on, it would be really the first help I'd had received with this issue.

many thanks in advance,

Jose
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Jose,

This is the first time that I have seen this issue with RMB-1095.

Have you tried another set of cables, (ensure the new set of cables are shielded)?

Do you have any equipment which gives a large magnetic current near the center channel (including the wiring)?

I'm sure other forum members will offer further suggestions.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

Please note that all channel lights should turn red at turn on, since the protection kicks in at that time. Then after a few seconds they go off and you will hear whatever is playing.

I suggest returning it to the dealer and to rotel to let them check it. If its a new unit you got guarantee on it and this way its not safe to use.

btw... a curious combination of 800 series front speakers (and center) and a 700 series back speaker. My experience is that the overal synergy isn't that great, since both series have a different sound. I would have choses 805's as rears. Anyway... this is besides the point

Comment

• ht_addict
        • Dec 2002

Jose, this doesn't sound normal to me. My setup is in the basement and then the amp is turned on the lights come on then go off after a few seconds. Take it back and have it checked out.

Tech support at Rotel is: techsupport@rotel.com

ht_addict

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by conchuco
          With some experimentation ( and a termometer,duh ! ) I've been able to make somewhat of a relation, between temp/humidity and the time needed by the 1095 to "stabilise". The colder the ambience is, more time will be needed by the 1095 in order to shut down completly the led. With 10ºC, the unit need a "warming time" of about 4 mins. 15ºC will need only a round 2.
          First off, where do you store you're equipment that it's in a room with a 10C temperature!? In a fridge? Seems a little chilly for a theatre room

But seriously... I'd take it back to your dealer and exchange it for a new one. Then bring the new one home and plug it in (not in the fridge :LOL: ) and enjoy

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• conchuco
            • Dec 2003

about the 10-15ºC ... well, this one is a new house ( new ones are known to be "colder" that used houses, don't ask me why ! ) . Also, I've got no heating system yet for this house.... even here at Seville ( south of spain, andalucia ) the winter will welcome you with such temps .... be prepared for 10ºC at your living room !

and for the magnetic fields... let me think : when I first tried the 1095, it was in pure stereo mode ( only the 804's were binded ) and this rare effect didn't happen.
            Later, I connected the rest of speakers, and put on the top of the 1095 an - horror - plasma TV set ( aka "King of the EM interference" ). Then, this led-party started.
            Also, the center channel cable ( supra sword ) leans on the 1095 itself, since the htm1 sits just in front of the 1095 with its floor stand, so the cable starts at the 1095, goes up, passes over the 1095 ( it leans on her ) and finally binds to the htm1.
            Perhaps the 1095 itself is doing some kind of EM interference to the center channel cable? the plasma ? I should make some experiments ( completly disconnect the plasma, removing the center cable and leaving the system in pure stereo, etc. ) in order to see this.

I was afraid of hearing something like that... " take your unit and bring it to your dealer". Alas. AFAIK, he has no other 1095 in stock, so this one means "no music/HT at all" until... until how much ? Argh.... life sucks.

Jose,

Comment

• conchuco
              • Dec 2003

hum.. btw.. when I say that I put a plasma TV " on top of the 1095" .. I meant, not *directly* leant on the 1095... the 1095 is on a wood rack, and the plasma leans on the upper wood of the rack.
              Hold your arms, gentlemen, please don't hit me too hard, I'd never punish so hard our little cute 1095 ;-)

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Well I would definately start with either moving the plasma away from it or it away from the plasma as well as isolating the speaker cable away from "leaning" on the 1095 just to be safe.

On a good note you could always turn on the 1095, run it hard and huddle around it for heat

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

also.... the 1095 is neither "cute" or "little".... LOL :LOL:

Jason

Comment

• sramsay
                    • Dec 2003

Jose,

Have you tried unplugging your centre speaker from the amp and turning it on? I'm just thinking that maybe it's some sort of inductance/capacitance problem with the centre speaker or its cabling.

Don't know whether or not it'll work but it could be worth a try.

Scott.

Comment

• conchuco
                      • Dec 2003

Some days ago, I tried unplugging the supra sword from the center bind post at the 1095 ( i.e., unplugging the HTM1 ). The led issue still happened.

*but*, now that you say it, I've not tried to unplug the center channel *from* the amp. That could be a good try.

One thing is for sure : when the system passed its very first days in pure stereo, 1095 leds worked flawlessly, this is, they didn't light at all but the very first 2 seconds during the normal 1095's channel auto-check. Led-party started when the full range of speakers was added.

At the same time, the plasma tv set was addep on top of the 1095. So may we be tempted to point the plasma as the culprit, or the center channel ...

Until Jan 2nd I'll be not back to my house. Pity I'll have to wait until then in order to do these additional tests you've reccomended me.

One thing really scares me : if none of this works, and I am to carry the 1095 to my dealer, that means I'll remain with absolutely no sound for... how many weeks ? 2 ? damn it, that makes me think twice about carrying away the 1095...

jose,

Comment

• Scarp
                        • Mar 2003

Try going back to the situation you started at, i.e., back to stereo with the same setup you had at that beginning. If that solves the problem, then there is definitly something wrong with your setup.

If it doesn't solve the problem, I would say bring to unit back to the dealer and let them hook it up there and see if they can reproduce the problem. This they could do while u are there. If the problem does not occur there, then the 1095 is fine and it is something else in your setup. Try to remove as much as possible from your setup.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"