X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AMPER
    • Nov 2005

One Week Reveiw Of Rb-1080

OK...It's been a week now with my new kids (rc-1070 and rb-1080) and I have some mix reviews. This will be geared for mostly the newer guys (like me) that are just out their looking for info on these two units. This will most likely be old hat for most of you. Also one must take into consideration the speakers which are Polk rti-12s. I will start with the positives first. When I first pulled my amp out of the box and eagerly hooked it up. I was shocked how "thin" and "shinny" the music was. But after letting it run for a while it has taken on a new personality. The music is much smoother, deeper and richer (even at high volumes). When I first came to this site I read post about this phonon, but deep down inside really didn't believe it. It is true though. As far as the negatives go it seems to run a little hotter than I thought that it would. Even at lower volumes (lets say 9 o'clock on volume dial). I know that these things do give of a little heat but not sure if this is normal. Also I will go ahead and pre answer the next question, yes I do have the 4" of clearance around the amp of air. As far as the RC-1070 another great unit. Only wish it had fiber optics for CD player. Over all these are great units that have plenty of power. Those speakers that I mentioned earlier are rated for 500w. They tend to lose it at about the 3 o'clock position on volume knob. Need I say more. :T
    Last edited by AMPER; 14 December 2005, 14:01 Wednesday.
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Glad yer enjoying your setup. Could you tell us what you were running on previously? As for the break-in... I'm with you. Sounded like BS when I first heard about it, but I've experienced it too. Not really BS. I once read it was because the capacitors inside the electronics need to "form". I have NO idea if that's correct, or if it correctly explains WHY equipment needs to break in, just food for thought.

Comment

• AMPER
      • Nov 2005

I still have a sony integrated amp(100x5) that I have had four about seven years now with four bose 301s that I use for the tv. And for this application works great. I'm about 80% audio and about 20% video.

Comment

• abqnmusa
        • Jan 2006

I think the RB-1080 is a class A/B design. So it is normal for the unit to run a bit hot. My 1080 runs a bit warm but it is normal. Has been reliable for years now.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"