X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TTA89
    • Oct 2004

RSX-1056 annoying issues

Hey guys,

Been awhile since I posted but hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

I have a couple things that are getting really annoying. When watching a DTS movie if I pause the DVD player and then un-pause I don't get any sound back. I have to power off the Rotel and power it back on before it will start working correctly again.

I also every once in awhile will switch from say my HDTV feed to my Tivo feed and even through I can see that the Rotel changed inputs I'm still getting Audio from the previous input. If I switch back to "input 1" then go back to "input 2" it usually then corrects itself.

Annoying stuff from a 1200+ dollar piece of equipment. The place I bought the reciever from is over an hour away and its been like 18 months since I bought the reciever, I don't know what I did with the reciept.

Is there a firmware upgrade or something? Are any of these issues a known bug or something?

Thanks!
    -Mike

My Home Theater Gear
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by TTA89
    Hey guys,

#1 I have a couple things that are getting really annoying. When watching a DTS movie if I pause the DVD player and then un-pause I don't get any sound back. I have to power off the Rotel and power it back on before it will start working correctly again.

#2 I also every once in awhile will switch from say my HDTV feed to my Tivo feed and even through I can see that the Rotel changed inputs I'm still getting Audio from the previous input. If I switch back to "input 1" then go back to "input 2" it usually then corrects itself.

Is there a firmware upgrade or something? Are any of these issues a known bug or something?

Thanks!
    #1 I've seen before. Hold down mute and let me know what firmware you are at. There are some fixes in 1.2.1/1.2.2 that could help in your situation. If not, it usually winds up being a DVD player that has a poorly designed digital out. If available you can try swapping from optical to coaxial (or vice versa).

If neither work, you should be able to hit 'menu' on the DVD and then 'return' or 'menu' to go back. I've never seen a menu have DTS so this forces the DVD player to output PCM/DD, then returning resends the DTS flag.

#2 I've not seen. How are all the connections between the two inputs? The 1.2.1/1.2.2 updates tweaked a lot of the digital input issues and may fix your problems.

1.2.1 actually had the fixes, 1.2.2 fixed a small bug with 1.2.1.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stev
      • Sep 2005

My new 1056 has 1.2.3-050512 Is this the most recent software ?

Steve

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

That's more recent than what's available at Rotel's site. Let me see if I can get some info..

Thanks for the heads-up.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stev
          • Sep 2005

Thats what i thought too ! Maybe we get different firmware here in Australia ? As you would know from the thread i started mine is only a few days old.

Steve

Comment

• TTA89
            • Oct 2004

Thanks for the help guys!

Holding down the mute button I get 1.1.7-040413. It sounds like I'm a few revisions back.

I'll have to check the menu and see what inputs I have things plugged into but usually I am listening to a Coax input and I switch to a composite L/R from Tivo. I have had it go the other way as well.

If you think I need to upgrade the firmware are there instructions somewhere? I think I still have that cable that came with it.
            -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Yup firmware and DVD output are the biggest culprits. I had a similar problem with my 1066 and upgrading to a higher quality optical cable completely fixed the problem as well
              Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

If you think I need to upgrade the firmware are there instructions somewhere? I think I still have that cable that came with it.
                Yup, go to Rotel's site, then support, then software downloads. Everything you need is there along with instructions.

Kevin D.

Comment

• VGuarino
                  • Oct 2004

Hey guys,

Annoying stuff from a 1200+ dollar piece of equipment. The place I bought the reciever from is over an hour away and its been like 18 months since I bought the reciever, I don't know what I did with the reciept.

Thanks!

hey Mike, LTNS....we both bought our 1056's at the same shop. According to their web site, you don't need a receipt. I believe him too. It's a small shop and he will most likely remember you.

If you need a hand upgrading, let me know, I'm not too far from Andover. (Hudson, NH).

Comment

• TTA89
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by VGuarino
                    hey Mike, LTNS....we both bought our 1056's at the same shop. According to their web site, you don't need a receipt. I believe him too. It's a small shop and he will most likely remember you.

If you need a hand upgrading, let me know, I'm not too far from Andover. (Hudson, NH).
                    Hey!! Yeah I have been laying low, during the summer time I'm out racing cars every weekend and don't have much time for HT stuff. Now that the season is coming to a close I'll be a HT geek again until the weather warms back up.

I haven't done the upgrade yet, its going to take me more time to unwire and rewire than it will to do the upgrade. I'm an IT guy by trade so I'm sure I can figure it out. I even found the Serial/RJ45 connector! :T :T

If it rains this weekend I'll probably tear it all apart, I'll let you know how it goes. 8)
                    -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• VGuarino
                      • Oct 2004

Mike,

Where are you racing? Geez, I'm also an IT geek...

I've left my cable connected to the 1056 and stashed behind everything. I hate messy cables........but you know, if you organize them and tidy them up, you'll need to remove something sooner or later which messes it up again!

Vin

Comment

• TTA89
                        • Oct 2004

Wherever I can! I was supposed to race at New England Dragway today but it was rained out. I was rained out at Lebanon Valley Dragway near Albany last Friday. :M Getting old! I also Auto X and Open Track racing 7-8 times a year.

Thats a good idea to leave it connected, I think I'll do that too. Of course after I rip the 2000000 wires out so I can upgrade the firmware. :roll:
                        -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• TTA89
                          • Oct 2004

Bump!

Ok I finally had enough of these issues. It took me 15 min to disconnect everything and upgrade the firmware.... Now as I look back over the living room I'm having second thoughts about this.

What have I done!!! Well everything needed a good dusting anyways. I'll report back in a few hours once its up and running.

-Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Hmm.. If you calculate how much your time is worth, it might have been cheaper to buy a laptop..

On a similar thought, how many would be interested in a long programming cable? What length? 50' is spec maximum, but 75' or 100' might work. I might get with Lex and see what we can come up with.

Kevin D.

Comment

• TTA89
                              • Oct 2004

LOL I have many laptops. Following the instructions it says to remove all connections from the Reciever. So thats what I did, I figured I haven't done a good cleaning any there were a bunch of non-used wires hanging around.

Its mostly back together now, I haven't hooked up Xbox or Playstation but the firmware update didn't fix the input issue I was having. :M :M

Switching from HDTV Video 2 that uses Coax1 to Tivo Video 5 that uses Analog it doesn't always switch the audio input correctly. So I'm watching Video 2 and I switch to Video 5 and I see the display on the Rotel switch and display what I switched too but its still producing audio from Video 2. Grrr.....

I also noticed latley that lip sync hasn't been very good on any inputs. :x
                              -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

Do you have any unused digital inputs?? Just a thought, but try changing video 5 from analog to an unused digital input. This should force switch the digital input over, but then it will default to analog when it doesn't detect any signal.

You did default the receiver after the upgrade right? This seems to be needed after certain updates.

Kevin D.

Comment

• TTA89
                                  • Oct 2004

Yes I defaulted it. I would love to run a digital input but Tivo only has Analog outputs. :roll:
                                  -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

I actually meant assign it to a digital input that doesn't have anything connected. There might be a bug when going from one digital input straight to analog. Perhaps assigning a unused digital input will help force the switch. When it doesn't detect a signal on that digital input, it should then default to the analog connections.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"