X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marginwalker
    • Feb 2004

Misc. RSP-1098 Questions/Issues

Hello all, I have had my RSP-1098 now for 4 months, I have been extremely happy with it so far. I have upgraded my software to V2.1.2. Some things I noticed:

1. When calibrating your speakers using the test generator from the 1098's menu, *do not* exit the entire menu system quickly by pressing "Menu" on the remote while the noise is still playing. The resulting "pop" from the switching is brutal and could easily damage speakers. Has anyone else noticed this, or is my system acting up?

2. My front speakers are close to full range the -3db point is 36 Hz or something like that, and my sub is kind of a wimp. It doesn't really add all that much LF extension in terms of bandwidth, I think it bottoms at 30Hz, although the amp has more power. So I am thinking I should set front speakers to "Large" , and subwoofer to "Max", so I get full range to (5) bass drivers instead of one? Also, for "Multi" input, I would want re-direct to "Off", as it is not doing as much good sending all LF to the subwoofer? But - does decoding of DD/DTS take into account that mains and fronts are producing full range and attenuate the LF as a result? Does it only attenuate on the sub or on the mains as well?

3. Cinema EQ: I am confused on this. I know the idea, +3db on the highs to punch through a screen. But do the soundtracks come with +3db and I turn CEQ on to remove the boost? Or do the soundtracks come flat and I turn CEQ on to add the boost. The manual is not clear. IIRC, from laserdisc days, THX discs had the boost built in, and any CEQ would remove it when active.

4. In the last week, the unit has twice failed to turn on the audio when powered up with the remote. OSD/Video/menus etc work, but no sound until powered down & up again. This only happened after V2.1.2 upgrade. Possible software glitch or developing hardware problem (stuck relay)?

5. Since I got digital cable, the unit is constantly clicking when it has to resync due to changing channels. I know the clicking is normal, my question is, what are the long term prospects for the relays considering how much an occasionally frantic channel surfer like myself changes channels? Is it worth going analog to get longer life on the relays?

6. I noticed in the specifications, the RSP-1098 has a voltage output of 1.2V on the preamp outs. I am used to solid state preamps doing 10V or more. Is this a problem with amp matching? I noticed that the RMB-1095 has an input sensitivity of 1.5V for full power, so in theory, the two together could not hit peak power, not even for an instant because the RSP-1098 would clip. Or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks for your input.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1. When calibrating your speakers using the test generator from the 1098's menu, *do not* exit the entire menu system quickly by pressing "Menu" on the remote while the noise is still playing. The resulting "pop" from the switching is brutal and could easily damage speakers. Has anyone else noticed this, or is my system acting up?
    Good tip. I tend to use Avia to calibrate where possible though as I find it more accurate.

2. My front speakers are close to full range the -3db point is 36 Hz or something like that, and my sub is kind of a wimp. It doesn't really add all that much LF extension in terms of bandwidth, I think it bottoms at 30Hz, although the amp has more power. So I am thinking I should set front speakers to "Large" , and subwoofer to "Max", so I get full range to (5) bass drivers instead of one? Also, for "Multi" input, I would want re-direct to "Off", as it is not doing as much good sending all LF to the subwoofer? But - does decoding of DD/DTS take into account that mains and fronts are producing full range and attenuate the LF as a result? Does it only attenuate on the sub or on the mains as well?
    It won't compensate if you set it to large as both the mains and the sub would get all the bass present. That may or may not sound bloated to you in your room but in general its not really advised. Also realise that the more you ask of your mains the more work your amp will have to do which could effect the sound quality...hard to say though as there's a lot of variables.

3. Cinema EQ: I am confused on this. I know the idea, +3db on the highs to punch through a screen. But do the soundtracks come with +3db and I turn CEQ on to remove the boost? Or do the soundtracks come flat and I turn CEQ on to add the boost. The manual is not clear. IIRC, from laserdisc days, THX discs had the boost built in, and any CEQ would remove it when active.
    Cinema EQ is there to remove the built in 3dB boost on some movies. I'm not sure how many movies need it but I've never found it necessary.

4. In the last week, the unit has twice failed to turn on the audio when powered up with the remote. OSD/Video/menus etc work, but no sound until powered down & up again. This only happened after V2.1.2 upgrade. Possible software glitch or developing hardware problem (stuck relay)?
    Hmm that's interesting...perhaps the new firmware will fix that.

5. Since I got digital cable, the unit is constantly clicking when it has to resync due to changing channels. I know the clicking is normal, my question is, what are the long term prospects for the relays considering how much an occasionally frantic channel surfer like myself changes channels? Is it worth going analog to get longer life on the relays?
    I wouldn't worry about them lasting....a quality relay will very likely outlast your need of the product its in.

6. I noticed in the specifications, the RSP-1098 has a voltage output of 1.2V on the preamp outs. I am used to solid state preamps doing 10V or more. Is this a problem with amp matching? I noticed that the RMB-1095 has an input sensitivity of 1.5V for full power, so in theory, the two together could not hit peak power, not even for an instant because the RSP-1098 would clip. Or am I reading this wrong?
    I'm sure Rotels looked at how their pre amps mate to their amps and if I remember right my previous Denon receivers etc were in that ball park as well for output.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"