X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crytklmass
    • Dec 2008

Power Issues? reading diff. volts

I receive 100amp service to my home. My power conditioner NEVER stays at a constant voltage. It varies between 122.1 - 124.4 The home was built in the 1950 with original service to home. (3 individual power cables coming from the pole to the home). It should read 120 correct?
    Before using a power conditioner I received a ground feedback hum (coming from the cable t.v.) still happened even after installing a cable tv ground from local electronic store. $5.00. The power conditioner filtered out the noise. I don't understand why the voltage changes constantly. throughout the day it reads a different voltage.
    Power Conditioner is Monster 2550.

f.y.i. The house is mixed with both grounded and ungrounded outlets. Only the kitchen and bathroom were grounded. There are grounded outlets in the home, but they are not really grounded (reading a hot/neutral reverse via outlet tester). Not sure if this is causing problems. Electrician will be arriving in 2 weeks to hookup hot tub. Anything I should have him check while he's here?
    BOB
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

YOU HAVE NO PROBLEM. The voltage range you're seeing is perfectly normal and within the utility company's tolerance. Voltage does not remain at a rock solid 120V but fluctuates constantly throughout the day as your neighbors and other users of electric power in your area turn their devices on and off. Wait until summer comes around and all the air conditioners go into use. Voltage is likely to drop a good bit below the 122V lower limit you're now seeing.

The electrician needs to correct the reversed hot/neutral wiring. The neutral is normally grounded at the electrical panel. Some equipment, like lamps for example, with a polarized plug (one blade wider than the other) often have the neutral side connected to its metal housing. If you plug such a device into an outlet where the wiring is reversed, and the neutral side will be connected to the hot side of the electrical supply, energizing the metal housing and posing an electrocution hazard.

See wall voltage thread here:
    This one's for the technically-savvy AK members. In collaboration with my thread in the TOL forum, I thought it would be kind of useful and interesting if AK members posted their nominal AC line voltage at the outlet where they listen. My area has pretty frequent dips and sags in voltage this...

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"