X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rich0372
    • Jul 2004

Rotel $2000 amp ????

Hey all,

Which would you prefer for 2 channel listening one 1090 or 2 1080's bi-amped. The 1080's are $1000 each and the 1090 is $2000 so for the same money which on is better Rich
  • rich0372
    • Jul 2004

63 views and nobody has an opinion? :E Rich

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'd take the 1090.

Comment

• ALS
        • Aug 2004

Better to go with 1090, better design than 1080,

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

Just curious

Originally posted by ALS
          Better to go with 1090, better design than 1080,
          Please explain why the 1090 is designed better than the 1080?

Comment

• JDH
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward

I assume because it can deliver more current to dynamic base heavy parts of music. I also own a RB-1080, if I had my choice I would take the single RB-1090 over 2 x RB-1080's bi-amped, I guess your not using an active cross over either?
            Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• ALS
              • Aug 2004

Why it's better -> you 've check with mnfr-Rotel,
              How it's better -> I was told by one authorised service engineer. I'm presently using 1080 & could comapre it with 1090. No doubt 1090 sound was far better. I too had a plan of going for one more 1080 & bi-amping, but now decided to swap for 1090.

Comment

• ProStereo
                • Nov 2004

Andrew M Ward, I can't even believe you would have to ask why the RB-1090 is a better design than a RB-1080, of all people here, I would think you would know the difference right off the back of your hand. The RB-1080 is of single design, and the RB-1090 is of dual mono design. I own both the RB-1080 and RB-1090 and I would pick the RB-1090, overall better sound quality.

================================================== =====================

ROTEL RB-1090 POWER AMPLIFIER

Can you handle the power, depth, subtlety and control of the biggest and best Rotel power amplifier? Read on...

When we first saw this beast we though Rotel had gone too far this time! It took two of us to lift in onto the hifi rack in the demo room. Everything about this power amplifier is authoratitive. It looks awesome, it feels awesome and boy does it sound awesome.

No matter how inefficient your speakers, no matter how loud you like to play them, this beast will deliver - and more. The sound is effortless, airy, spacious and delivers massive depth of scale and impact. This box isn't simply about power - it sings.

Rotel have combined a twin-mono design (effectively two single channel power amplifiers in one box) to give the best stereo separation, the employment of two massive custom-manufactured toroidal transformers to take care of the power supply while high-grade, British Slit Foil capacitors ensure there is a massive power reserve and a further peppering of smaller high-grade toroidal transformers ensure that each section of this beast does not suffer any compromise that might effect performance

RB-1090 can drive any speaker made! With ferocious power and low impedance stability, RB-1090 is a good choice for demanding speakers. Stereophile: "The level of listening fatigue engendered by the RB-1090 is one of the lowest I've encountered in a solid state amplifer! I could listen to music for long periods and feel little inclination to change amplifiers. The RB-1090's other major strength was its harmonic accuracy: the ability of an amplifier to preserve the distinctive timbres of voices and musical instruments. Voices had much of the rounded quality they have in real life. The Rotel's tonal balance was sweeter and, to my ears, more natural than that of the Parasound. Both amplifiers represent outstanding value, and both are capable of excellent performance in the right system, but my preference is for the Rotel."

Rotel's description:
                ==========================

The RB-1090 stands as the premiere example of Rotel's award- winning prowess in amplifier design. At 9.5" tall and close to 100 lbs. in weight, it is a truly formidable power source for the most demanding systems. Essentially two separate amplifiers sharing only a chassis and power cord, the RB-1090 is capable of putting out 380 watts per channel RMS (both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.03% THD).

Each of the RB-1090's two totally Independent power supplies is based on two large 1.25 kVA custom made, multiple-secondary toroidal ransformers and four 22,000 µf Slit Foil storage capacitors. This enormous potential feeds an output stage with four pair of power transistors, each rated at over 200 watts with more than 17 amps current capability. (Remember, these are figures for only one of the RB-1090's two channels!) The result is truly prodigious output, making the RB-1090 more than able to meet the worst speaker-induced torture tests. The RB-1090 is stable down to 2 ohms and delivers peak power in excess of 1000 watts under these demanding conditions.

But the RB-1090's real worth lies in its flexibility and sound quality. With both balanced (XLR) and single-ended (RCA) inputs and dual sets of heavy duty, "biwire-ready" 5 way binding posts, the RB-1090 easily interfaces with an encompassing range of system components. The RB-1090 also features a detachable power cord.

Sound quality, the raison d'etre for this amplifier's existence, is stunning. Authoritative bass response extends to below the limits of hearing while mid and high frequencies emerge with a supple liquidity. The result is absolutely involving. You'll literally feel the spirit of whatever source you choose.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I'd always take one, more powerful amp over two, less powerful ones. Having said that the two 1080's could be more "versatile", you could later split them up in to seperate systems or vove them around as needed etc but if that's not a priority for you, I'd get the 1090

As already mentioned as well, to even properly take advantage of the two 1080's you'd have to disable your speakers internal crossovers and implement an active crossover between the pre/pro and amps anyways. All that trouble and extra wiring/equipment will up your costs and likely still not sound better than the one 1090.
                  Jason

Comment

• spkerguy
                    • Jun 2005

1090 vs. 1080 more fatigue?

Hello everyone,
                    There was a thread on here awhile back with someone comparing a 1090 and a 1095 in terms on fatigue and came to the conclusion that the 1090 had more fatigue at low playing levels than the 1095. I wish I could find the thread. Can anyone substantiate this? I'd love to pick up a 1090 and use it to drive my mains with the 1095 driving the other surround speakers.

Thanks,

ken

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

I was seriously considering moving up to the RB1090 from my RB1070, but even at the low cost the guy offered me (used), I had to pass due to financial reasons.

I could've swung it, but too much strain on my account.

Very sad... I know. But, I had to draw the line somewhere. :cry:

If you can afford the RB1090, go for it.
                      Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                      Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• rich0372
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                        I'd always take one, more powerful amp over two, less powerful ones. Having said that the two 1080's could be more "versatile", you could later split them up in to seperate systems or vove them around as needed etc but if that's not a priority for you, I'd get the 1090

As already mentioned as well, to even properly take advantage of the two 1080's you'd have to disable your speakers internal crossovers and implement an active crossover between the pre/pro and amps anyways. All that trouble and extra wiring/equipment will up your costs and likely still not sound better than the one 1090.
                        aud19 why can't you just use the crossover that's in the speaker and what's the difference between an active crossover and passive one Rich

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

In an active crossover, you send only the highs or lows to the repective amplifier channel before the amp allowing all the amp resources to amplify just that specific spectrum of the sound. In a passive crossover, there's nothing between amp and pre/pro, as such the amp powers the entire frequency range before sending it to the speaker's crossover. Much less efficient way of doing things
                          Jason

Comment

• rich0372
                            • Jul 2004

Thanks aud19 I got it now Rich

Comment

• ProStereo
                              • Nov 2004

spkerguy, how someone could come up with that conclusion is something not founded. The problem must have been something else in the chain link. I can say the Rotel RB-1090 does not cause any fatigue at all. Some very good reviews have flat out stated there is no fatigue with this amp. Read Stereophile's review on the RB-1090, it should answer your question, no fatigue. From my own personal experience with this amp, it has to be one of the most fatigue free amp I ever heard, other than a couple of $10,000+ amps. For the money, the RB-1090 is a real steal for the superb sound quality you get with it, as pointed out by many users of the RB-1090, myself included! A real hidden jewel for those who find it.

Comment

• VikingP
                                • Feb 2005

IMO, two RB-1080s with a nice active crossover would be better then one RB-1090. Sometimes, more power isn't really needed, for example if one wants to drive efficient speakers, or if the amp is used for the high frequencies only. But if one needs more power, using two RB-1080s with an active crossover will effectively emulate close to 800W, which is much more then what the RB-1090 can give.
                                Also, an active crossover greatly reduces intermodulation distortion, which is much worse then harmonic distortion.
                                An other advantage of using two RB-1080s with an active crossover is that with this setting, the amp amplifying the highs will have much less strain on it due to the absence of the low frequencies, and so the highs will sound more open.
                                But as it has already been mentioned, all this requires more money to be spent on a good active crossover, and also requires the removal, or the bypassing, of the passive crossovers.
                                Furthermore, the benefits of actively bi-amping the main speakers depend greatly on what the main speakers can do; in other words, if your main speakers cannot go into low frequencies, and stay mainly in the highs and mids, bi-amping would not be justified, and so in this case, the RB-1090 would be the best choice.
                                To me, it isn't really a matter of "which one of the two is a better design", both of them are, but more of a matter of how you will use them and what will be it's, or their, purpose in your system.

Paul

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Good points Viking :T
                                  Jason

Comment

• KathyMason
                                    • Nov 2004

The RB-1090 isn't just about power, it's about high-end sound quality

.....VikingP, The Rotel RB-1090 isn't just about power! It's about sound quality and just happened to be high powered as a plus. If you want the better sound quality, the RB-1090 is it. I compared it between the RB-1080 and RB-1090 before I bought my RB-1090 and my ears heard the difference. Others here have posted their sound quality difference going from the RB-1080 to the RB-1090. As some of the reviews point out that many will mistake this amp as a high power amp only, saying it's a real shame because this amp (RB-1090) is more than just power, this amp wears velvet gloves.

.....As far as doing the active crossover thing, I’ve researched and talked with a few people that have done this and they have told me it isn’t worth all the trouble, you won’t gain much, if any. No, I have not tried it but only going off of the advice I got from very know-how guys. For myself, too much trouble but some of you guys just may like the tinkering that goes with it.

.....spkerguy , You might be mistaken that fatigue thread for something else, I did a search and nothing comes up here on it. Maybe another forum?? I can vouch that the RB-1090 is not plagued with listening fatigue, I can listen to mine for many hours on end and not feel I need to leave the room, very much not so with a Sony amp I have, 30 minutes into listening and my ears really start to ache with the Sony.

AIG review on the RB-1090:

Don't let its big size and big numbers give you the wrong idea. It will be easy for many to write off the 1090 as a simple brute, another megawatt amp with all the poise and finesse of a diesel locomotive, but anyone who spends some time with it will quickly realize that this beast wears velvet gloves and moves most gracefully indeed. In terms of watts the 1090 is certainly overkill for most systems, including mine, but I think it's important not to fixate on its power rating, just as single ended triode freaks don't kvetch about underpowering their speakers. 8 watts? So what? It's beside the point. Forget the numbers, how does it sound?
                                    It would be a shame to see an amp this good going only into the systems of people with "difficult" loudspeakers, because it sounds so damn good with easy loads like my Energy Veritas 1.8's (6 ohm nominal impedance and 87 dB sensitivity). I expected it to be effortless in the macrodynamic sense and to be possessed of powerful and well controlled bass, and it was. But I wasn't expecting the smoothness, the subtlety, the liquidity, the vast and enveloping soundstage or the sheer musicality that emerged from the 1090. ;x( The impressive level of transparency and resolution was also an unexpected bonus, the Rotel painting an extremely neutral and balanced sonic picture with what seemed like as much detail as the source could provide.

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Also good points Kathy :T

Basically, I think unless you already have two amps due to whatever circumstances, that you'll get as good or better sound out of the single 1090 with less cost and effort.
                                      Jason

Comment

• KathyMason
                                        • Nov 2004

I LOVE my Rotel RB-1090. It is a real keeper and I plan on keeping mine for LIFE. I LOVE it that much. I'm stunned by the sound quality and enjoyment it gives me every time I have tiime to sit down and enjoy some music. A real shame some of you guys here don't realize what a great amp this one really is. If you can handle the extra $$$ that is cost over the 1080, go for it, you won't be disappointed! This one is a real keeper!

Comment

• KathyMason
                                          • Nov 2004

Thanks!

Comment

• ALS
                                            • Aug 2004

Well explained ProStereo & Kathay :T

Comment

• VikingP
                                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by KathyMason
                                              I compared it between the RB-1080 and RB-1090 before I bought my RB-1090 and my ears heard the difference.
                                              I have no intention of saying that the RB-1090 is inferior to the RB-1080, it's quite the opposite, and I haven't said that the RB-1090 is only about power. What I was trying to say, is that given a certain setup, two RB-1080s with an active crossover, will, in some cases, give better results then one RB-1090, and in others, where really efficient speakers are to be driven, the RB-1090's finness can be equalled or surpassed by other amps with much less power output.

Originally posted by KathyMason
                                              As far as doing the active crossover thing, I’ve researched and talked with a few people that have done this and they have told me it isn’t worth all the trouble, you won’t gain much, if any.
                                              It is very true that in a lot of cases, active bi-amping isn't worth the money and trouble, but don't let that be a general rule. It greatly depends on the type of speakers used, as well as the active crossover's quality. The "electrical" (can't think of another word) advantages are certainly there, but whether they make a setup better sounding or not, that depends foremost on the listener and his audio gear.

The only real way of determining if an active crossover is really worth it, is to try it out in your own system, just like amps, preamps, CD players, etc, and I don't think it should be dismissed out of hand too quickly.

Paul

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                • Apr 2005

Yikes!

[QUOTE=ProStereo]Andrew M Ward, I can't even believe you would have to ask why the RB-1090 is a better design than a RB-1080, of all people here, I would think you would know the difference right off the back of your hand. The RB-1080 is of single design, and the RB-1090 is of dual mono design. I own both the RB-1080 and RB-1090 and I would pick the RB-1090, overall better sound quality.

================================================== =====================
                                                [QUOTE]

Yikes!
                                                I ask because:
                                                I like to understand peoples reasons for making decisions. I see a lot of "This is better than that" on forums and sometimes these statements are not properly backed up with any data or personal discovery...

SO, I asked why the 1090 is better than the 1080, in this one persons opinion, not because I need an electrical evaluation on design topology.

No worries..

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"