Opinions on RB-1090 for my Polk RTI 2000's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TonyStarks
    • Aug 2003

Opinions on RB-1090 for my Polk RTI 2000's?

Hey Guys!

Have'nt posted in a long time, usually just reading the posts, but would like to hear you're thoughts on the RB1090. I have the 1098, 1095 & 1075, but would like a really strong 2 channel. I have a pair of Polk RTI 2000's for front and rear. The reason for 2 5 channel amps are for future proofing myself for home theatre, and the fact my wife let me. Also do you guys think I should just leave it the way it is? Also another reason is because i am very close to my Rotel dealer and have been qouted $2000AU. This is also another reason why I am thinking of purchasing this amp. I'm thinking that the 1090 might blow my speakers to kingdom come as well but hey can always buy another pair of speakers!

Also would like to thank all the guys on this forum for there time & effort in posting really good info. This the greatest forum of all time. I wish all of you a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Tony,

I would not hesitate in purchasing the RB-1090, for 2 channel. It is important to dedicate an amp for front channel duties, if you are truly a 2 channel buff. I was running my fronts with the RMB-1095, and then went to the RB-1080, and haven't looked back. One thought the RB-1090 is approximately the same size as the RMB-1095, ensure you have sufficient space to house this beast.

Will your dealer allow you to test drive the RB-1090 with your equipment?

You shouldn't have to worry about clipping your speakers, unless you want ear bleeding volumes.

Good luck and Merry Christmas,

Azeke

Comment

• TonyStarks
      • Aug 2003

Azeke,

Thanks for you're reply, I will ask my dealer if I can have a demo. Space is'nt an issue which is good.

Comment

• DanR
        • Dec 2004

I have the RB-1090 with a pair of B&W Nautilus 802's and it sings so beautifully I really can't put it into words. I tested a lot of amp prior to purchasing the 1090 and actually had almost twice as much to spend but thought the Rotel was just as good as amps for twice the money! No joke. This is a serious amp for the money!!!
        :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Do you have the 2000p's or i's? (p's have the built in power amp for the subs).. If you have the built in amp, I would look into getting an external crossover, ditching the built in amp, and the running the 1090..

Kevin D.

Comment

• TonyStarks
            • Aug 2003

Hey kevin,

I do have the 2000's with the built in amp for the subs. How do I go about doing all that?

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

A couple of different ways.. Non user friendly.

You have too choices. Passive or active. Passive you would install a passive low-pass crossover inside the sub unit. You could then either run a 1090 to both the upper speaker unit AND the wires going to the sub unit's new crossover. Or you could run your 1095 to the sub crossover and the 1075 to the upper-unit.

Second way is to get and active crossover like the Bryston 10B. It has selectable frequencies for the upper and lower crossover points. You would then have to use two amps, the 1095 to the subs and the 1075 for the highs..

If any of that all ready sounds like more you want to handle, then I would stick with what you have. You have big speakers, but in reality whatever amp you get will only be powering the 6.5" mid and the tweeter, the 1095 you have now will be plenty of power for them.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin97225
                • Oct 2004

I'm very pleased with the RB-1090

I have two RB-1090 amps and I'm very pleased with mine. I can't say enough good about them. I run mine with the Klipsch RF-7 and the sound is absolutely STUNNING! This is no joke either. I listened to so many amps, even 5x the cost and the RB-1090 is a bargin that some doen't even come close to the RB-1090. The RB-1090 has gotten some excellent reviews and it's been said it comes scaringly close to amps 5x to 6x it's cost. I found this to be very true. It's a most excellent product and you will be very impressed with the build quality as well. It has two 1.25VA transformers and 8 campbell's soup can size capacitors. I'm very happy with mine. Kevin.

Comment

• TonyStarks
                  • Aug 2003

Much appreciated on you're thoughts guys, i like the idea of doing some mods.

Kevin D: Whats the possabilities on you giving some diagrams for doing these mods to my speakers? Would really like to get my hands dirty on this one!

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Easiest way would be to pick up this:

4ohm crossover

I choose 4ohm because I believe that's what the sub section of your speakers are. It appears that the crossover is stereo. You should be able to cut the crossover in two and use each side in one speaker. If not, you will have to by two.

Take the amplifier out of the back of the speaker. You should see two sets of wires. One will go directly to the speaker inputs (on the top I believe) The other will come out of the amplifier section. Remove both wires.

The crossover will have three connections (negatives may be shared, I'm not sure). From amplifier, high-frequency out, low-frequency out. I'll continue as if you will only have one amplifier running the speaker.

Run a new wire from the speaker input to the from amplifier contacts on the crossover. Run the wire that used to come form the speaker input to the high-frequency out. Run the wire that came from the amplifier section to the low-frequency out.

You now have the speaker level input running all the speakers, with a crossover splitting low-frequencies and high-frequencies to the appropriate speakers.

If you wanted to use your 1095 on the low section and the 1075 on the high section, go ahead and get two of the crossovers and don't split them apart. Run the 1095 output to the right side and only hook up the sub wire to the right low-out. Run the 1075 output to the left side and only hook up the mid/tweet wire to the left high-out.

I'll try to attach a very crude MSpaint diagram. Upper left is stock. Upper right is single amp, lower left is two amps.

Depending upon how the wires are connected to the 5-way binding posts, you might be able utilize both the speaker and subwoofer binding posts to have a stock appearance from the outside.

Kevin D.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"