X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin97225
    • Oct 2004

RC-1070 or RC-1090 PreAmp

Hi, I am buying the Rotel RB-1090 amp and trying to decide which Pre-Amp to get for it, the Rotel RC-1070 or RC-1090. I'm not going to use the phono section or the balanced imputs, or computer port on the RC-1090 so I hate to pay extra for features I won't use.

I've asked the dealer if there is a sonic difference between the RC-1070 or RC-1090 and he said that some people think they can hear a difference and some people say they can't. He said he thinks that he hears very little difference between the two but what he thinks he hears is that the RC-1090 might be a tad bit rich and warmer sounding than the RC-1070.

I also called Rotel Tech support and the guy I talked to really wasn't sure what sonic difference there was between the two.

Some guys on the internet say, the sonic sound isn't much difference between the two.....(specially for the price difference) to just go with the RC-1070 if you don't need the extra features of the RC-1090 but I don't want to compromise on the sound quality if there is a difference so I thought I would ask here if anyone has discovered if there is a difference in sound quality or not between the two, and which would go better witht he RB-1090 Amp.

Thanks for any help..... Kevin.
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

G'day,

Seems like the general consensus is that, sonically, there's not much difference between the RC-1070 and RC-1090 (I haven't listened to the RC-1090 myself, just the RC-1070).

Although the Rotel specifications for each favour the RC-1090: THD of 0.004% vs 0.006%, etc. I'm not sure if you would hear this difference, however. And the RC-1090 has a few more bells-n-whistles: more line-level inputs, balanced outputs, an LED, no tone control, etc.

But perhaps the safest option is to listen to each pre-amp (connected to the same amp, speakers, etc), and note if you can hear any differences. If not, stay with the RC-1070, and use the money saved to get a bigger amp, or better speakers, etc.

--Geoff

Comment

• Kevin97225
      • Oct 2004

Stumped on the RC-1070 vs RC-1090 !!

Thanks for the reply!!

I was hoping to listen to both of them to decide which to go with but the dealer only had the RC-1090 setup in the demo room and no RC-1070. I asked him if he had the RC-1070 that I could A/B them on the Rotel RB-1090 Amp but he said he didn't. The RC-1090 sounded really good with the Rotel RB-1090 Amp.... really not much to not like with the two, I was very impressed with the sound. It had a huge soundstage, very smooth and detailed, and warm tube like. I'm hoping that if I went with the RC-1070 to save some money, and I like the RC-1070 knobs better vs. the RC-1090's buttons. I'm just wondering if the huge soundstage, smoothness, detail, and warmness will still be the same if using the RC-1070?

Thanks, Kevin.

Comment

• KEF
        • Aug 2004

Kevin -

This past weekend I did some critical listening to pre-amps at my dealer (look below at the RC-1070 thread) and was shocked at the difference that these pre-amps made.

I too was trying to decide between the 1070 and the 1090, and while I was not able to rule out the 1090, I was not impressed with the 1070. Granted, this was a comparison to two units costing around $1,800 - but the impact on the music was profound.

Not a small or subtle change at all.

Do yourself a favor and listen to a few pre amps in your price range -

FWIW I am running a RCD-1072 and a RB-1080 into N804s. Before the New Year I am moving to 803s and adding a pre to my system

Regards,
        Keith

Comment

• Kevin97225
          • Oct 2004

Thanks KEF for all the info, really appreciate that!!!

I bought the Rotel RB-1090 and RC-1090, as well as the RT-1080 and RCD-1072.
          I'm very happy with this system. It sounds really great and lacks nothing. I listened to many Amps 2 to 4x the cost of the RB-1090 and still kept coming back to the RB-1090. It sounds great! Very smooth, detailed, amazing bass... very tight, controlled, and very nice punch and slam. It really gives the Wow-factor, and warm tube-like.
          Rotel really did a great job. Now I don't want any other amp but this one. I think it's one of the best out there!!! Thanks all for the help! Kevin.

Comment

• KEF
            • Aug 2004

Nice -

Hey glad to be of some help - I'll have to get my dealer to get me a RC-1090 to listen to and compare it to the Bryston.

Did you side-by-side the RC-1070 vs the RC-1090?

Cheers,
            Keith

Comment

• Kevin97225
              • Oct 2004

No, I didn't get to compare the RC-1070 to the RC-1090. I would really have
              liked to, but after talking to Rotel some more and the dealer and a couple of
              guys that said they started out with the RC-1070 and moved up to the RC-1090
              said that it is more richer and fuller sounding with a bigger soundstage.
              Rotel told me that there is a difference, that the RC-1090 has better circuitry,
              beefier componets, and capacitors with larger output stage than the RC-1070.
              Rotel said that the RC-1090 is built more like an Amp inside. I opened my
              RC-1090 and it's true, it does look like an amp inside.... nice size Rotel transformer with 4 large capacitors and more. Looks very nice inside...... I'm impressed!

I went ahead and opt for the RC-1090 based on what the guys told me that
              had the RC-1070 and moved to the RC-1090 and said it's really worth the extra
              $$ to get the RC-1090 for the added sound difference. From what they told me
              is that the RC-1070 is a little brighter sounding compared to the RC-1090 and
              when comparing..... sounded more open, wide, and a little more detailed with
              the RC-1090.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"