X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve_the_Hokie
    • Aug 2005

1068 and Rotel problems

I bought a 1068 used that was only a month old. The original owner thought it was too difficult for some of the family members to operate, which I didn't really find to be true at all. Anyway, I had the unit sitting around the house for a month in the box while I was deciding what 5-channel amplifier I wanted to match it up with. I was itching to give it a try, and being a hi-fi nut from way back I had plenty of stereo amps around to hook it up with, but decided to just hook it up with an old Hafler DH-500 that I hadn't used for a while. The 1068 worked and sounded great for about a month until last Thursday. The digital sound processing in the unit totally died and the only way I could get a peep out of it was to select an analog input and use the bypass mode. The unit also had that typical burned electronics smell. I wrote Rotel and explained the situation, hoping that they would back a product only 3 months old. The response from Rotel was that the warranty "clearly states that it is not transferrable". In my opinion, this was clearly a defective unit, and if I was a business owner I'd be embarrassed to know I didn't take care of the problem, but as they said, they didn't have to fix it and weren't going to. I was planning on getting a 1095 amp to go with the 1068, but now I think I'll sell my 1068 and go with something else. One other manufacturer has a 20 year transferrable warranty, and I take that to mean that they have confidence in their design and assembly operations. I knew when I bought the 1068 used that this was a risk I was taking, but a product that fails after 2 months of actual use would never make me feel confident in its quality, even if I get it repaired. I've had tons of equipment over the last 35 years, and besides a set of relay contacts or a power switch here and there that simple wore out I've never experienced a major failure like this. I think the Rotel gear sounds great for the money, but as you look through these threads look at all the problems people are having. People are having problems with everything from ground plane design problems causing hum to blowing fuses. I'm an electronics engineer, and to me this indicates some real problems with their products. Go read the other manufacturers' forums and you won't see the problems you see here. I enjoyed my 1068 while it lasted, but for me, I'll be heading in another direction. Best wishes to all!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Best wishes to you too. Had your first post been about the problem and not bashing Rotel after you have made up your mind to go elsewhere, we probably could have helped you.

Rotel does a fairly good job about fixing used units. But quite honestly you said you knew the risks and now you're upset that Rotel stands by them... You will pay for the 20 year transferable warranty.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lvhung
      • Jun 2005

Very few choice in AV market
      If you abandon Rotel choice
      You go to Krell or bryston the price may be 8-9 K $

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

Nothing to see here....everybody on your way...just troll bait.

If I recall properly, at least one company with a 20-year transferable warranty is now changing its tune. This brand's items must now be purchased new from a dealer for such a warranty. The internet strikes again!

Comment

• JDH
          • Sep 2004

Luckerly in Australia the distributor of Rotel offer a 3 year transferable warranty.
          Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Steve_the_Hokie
            • Aug 2005

I didn't mean to make everyone so upset. Like I said, the 1068 sounded very good while it lasted, especially considering the reasonable price it sells for. I don't know the percentage of these units that develop problems, but in my particular case it did at the tender age of 3 months. I hope everyone else has better luck than I did. If I could pass on a lesson learned to anyone reading this, I'd say make sure you get the unit with a warranty, just in case. Long live hi-fi!

Comment

• wca156
              • Jun 2005

Steve_the_Hokie - I had the exact same thing happen to my 1068, but it was after only 3 days and it was new. I was watching a movie, the pre/pro fizzled and the smell of burning wires appeared. I ran it on bypass until it was replaced. I did like the unit and it sounded great with my 803S's.
              Bill

Comment

• Spearmint
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Steve_the_Hokie
                I didn't mean to make everyone so upset. Like I said, the 1068 sounded very good while it lasted, especially considering the reasonable price it sells for. I don't know the percentage of these units that develop problems, but in my particular case it did at the tender age of 3 months. I hope everyone else has better luck than I did. If I could pass on a lesson learned to anyone reading this, I'd say make sure you get the unit with a warranty, just in case. Long live hi-fi!
                Any chance you could get the original owner to send it in for repair?
                Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Steve_the_Hokie
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
                  Any chance you could get the original owner to send it in for repair?
                  I sent an e-mail to the original buyer yesterday, but no response as of yet. If I don't hear from him in a few days, I'll just send it in for repair myself. That's a good suggestion though, thanks.
                  Since it's no longer under warranty, I might take a peek inside and see what smoked if I can get to it easily.
                  WCA156, I see that you had the same exact problem in just 3 days. I'm glad you had warranty coverage and got a replacement. It sounds to me like there might be a bug there that they need to get worked out.

Comment

• tboooe
                    • Jun 2005

steve, before you open it up wait until you hear back from the originial owner. If he sends it in, then Rotel should repair it under warranty.

Comment

• Kyle
                      • Jan 2005

FYI I had a 1068 arrive DOA with the exact same symptoms. Rotel replaced it no questions asked.
                      My gear

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Steve, have you sought Aussie Geoff's advice on this problem?

Comment

• Steve_the_Hokie
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                          Steve, have you sought Aussie Geoff's advice on this problem?
                          I just sent Aussie Geoff an e-mail asking for any advice he may have. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"