X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejfiii
    • May 2003

Play CD and watch TV at same time?

Hi, I may be missing something, but on the 1065, I have the cd connected to the analog "CD" (not zone 2) inputs. I also run all my video through the 1065. So when I select CD to listen to a cd, the TV loses its signal since the cd input has no video connected to it.

Is there a work around available where I am able to listen to a CD and watch the TV at the same time. Obviously I know I would not hear the TV sound as it is being used on the CD, but it seems silly not to be able to select a video source when the cd is playing.

As I said, maybe I am missing something, but I think I have the manual memorized by now.

Thanks in advance.

E. J.

My HT
    My HT
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

Ejfiii, I watch TV while listening to CD everyday. I don't have my finger on your problem right now; my mind's really slow today. But I hope this can be helpful: my old TV's audio out (L&R) is connected to the Video 1 input on my 1066, so that I can use DPL II on the stereo signal. I do not have any video connection on that input. My CD player is hooked up to the CD input. My ancient TV has only 3 inputs and only one of them has S-video capability, so I do my 1066 video switching on that input. That is, I route my Monitor Out from the 1066 to that input while routing the video of my DVD player and laserdisc player to the 1066's Video 2 and Video 3, respectively. So when I'm watching Seinfeld on TBS, I hit Video 1 and audio is DPL II. But when I click on FOX and the washed-up 80s TV stars edition of Temptation Island is on, I quickly hit CD on my 1066 and listen to a tune. But unexplicably, I'm drawn to viewing the taboo images of that dreaded program, so I watch the TV but don't have to deal with listening to Gary Coleman talk about his spontaneous encounter with Mindy Cohn.

That said, if you're not talking about watching regular TV programming but a DVD on your video player and want to listen to a CD at the same time, you would have to let your TV do the video switching (routing your video connections directly from sources to your TV).

Comment

• ejfiii
      • May 2003

Originally posted by will1066
      But when I click on FOX and the washed-up 80s TV stars edition of Temptation Island is on, I quickly hit CD on my 1066 and listen to a tune.
      Thank you Will 1066. This is what I am trying to do. But by your own explanation, you are using two inputs at once. Oh, no, as I type, I see what you did. Since the tv receives a video signal directly from the cable, sat, whatever, and then the audio goes out from there, you are not using two inputs on the 1066 at once. You are in fact just using the CD input to listen to a cd.

Unfortunately, that type of setup is not an option for since I have all my video sources being switched through the receiver since the TV is lacking enough inputs. Specifically, here is what I have setup:

Video 1: DVD audio and video
      Video 2: Cable audio and Video
      Video 3: ReplayTV audio and Video
      Video 4: VCR audio and video
      CD: CD input

So what I want to be able to do is listen to CD input and watch the video signal from Video 2 or 3. Sounds complicated and like I may be out of luck.

Thanks though.

E. J.

My HT
      My HT

Comment

• ChrisBr
        • Aug 2003

Have you tried using the multi-channel inputs? I hooked up a Pio 563 yesterday and noticed I could engage 5.1 and still watch tv. Appearently the 5.1 overrides the selected audio input, but since there is no video input with it, it stayed with what was current (cable). I didn't try changing video sources, but they should all work the same I would think.

I also run all of my video through the Rotel (1055 so it could be different).

Comment

• will1066
          • Aug 2003

ChrisBr has a good idea. E.J., try moving your CD player to the multi input. Say you are using Video 1 watching a DVD with audio. Selecting the multi input would then override the audio of Video 1 but won't disable the video. Heck of a good first post, ChrisBr.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

The only work around I've found for it is to run another cable to the tv from the REC outputs. When listening to CD, but you want to watch TV, change inputs on the TV. Chances are you will always be using the cable or the replay outputs, so you wouldn't have to change the REC out that often.

Kevin D.

Comment

• RogueAngel
              • Jun 2002

One more simple option. If you use a composite signal you can use an RCA type 1 into 2 splitter and connect the TV video feed to both the TV and CD video inputs. I've had mine set up that way almost as long as I've had my 1055.

Bobbi

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"