X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I use a Keyspan USB to serial adapter on my notebook. Its one of the best there is as its software is very flexible at setting the buad rates and com ports that are often critical for applications like this. Most stores that sell mac's will have one I would think

Comment

• pciav
      • Jun 2004

I second the Keyspan. I use one also for all my serial updating needs, not just for the Rotel, and I have never run into a problem or anything the Keyspan wouldn't work with.

Comment

• TimGRA
        • Feb 2004

My Dell is not 2.0 hi-speed. Will it still work with this adapter?

Comment

• skipm
          • Jun 2003

Like the others said, the one from Keyspan has the rep of being the best. I've also heard good things about the one that you can purchase from Radio Shack. I use one made by IOGear and while I've never had a problem with it upgrading my 1098, I have had some issues when using it to program my HTM MX-700 remote. I'll be purchasing the Keyspan or the one from Radio Shack in the very near future.

-Skip

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yes it should be fine...in fact you typically get better results lowering the baud rate down low anyway.

Comment

• fromans4
              • Mar 2005

I domnloaded the new firmware (v1.22) for my RSP-1068 yesterday. I just got arround to installing it today. I use an IOGEAR USB to Serial adapter and had no problems! So far the update seems to be working fine. I will continue testing through the day. :W

Happy listening and viewing,

Brent

Comment

• TimGRA
                • Feb 2004

OK! I need to vent. I went and got a USB to Serial Port and it when I try the EPROM it says it can not detect the device. What do I do? I have worked on this all day.

The 1068 needs to be turned "ON" on the backside only? Or do I turn the unit on.

I know that this cannot be this difficult! :M

Comment

• skipm
                  • Jun 2003

Tim-

After connecting the adapter to your computer, you need to take a look in Device Manager to see whch COM: port is assigned to it. If you don't know how to check it, tell me what version of Windows you are running and I'll walk you through it.

-Skip

Comment

• TimGRA
                    • Feb 2004

Windows XP and I cannot find Device Manager. :M :M

Comment

• TimGRA
                      • Feb 2004

Skip-
                      Found the Manager! Yahoo. The device is under COM5. That is the problem, Rotel only has an option up to COM4. How do I change that? How do I know how many COM'S I have? Can a COM port be assigned to more than 1 device? Hope to finish this tonight.

If I do not grt a response I will assume that ALL of you are enjoying your new UPGRADE. :lol:

Comment

• TimGRA
                        • Feb 2004

Skip-
                        I think I got it!

Comment

• TimGRA
                          • Feb 2004

Nope-

I thought wrong. I changed it to COM2 and it still does not read my device. That is the message I get. This whole adapter thing scared me from the start. I am using the recommended Rack Shak adapter. I honestly do not know what else to do. I think I am done for the night. :cry:

Comment

• TimGRA
                            • Feb 2004

I am sure my posts are getting old but here is one more update and then I think Im done.

I unhooked the 1068 and took it to my nighbors house to try the update. Sure enough the EPROM would not take using a cable WITHOUT the USB to Serial port adapter. So frustrated that I thought I would just start the update and see if i would work. THAT WORKED GREAT! I sure do not understand. (We did not have o use the adapter)

Is anyone having a problem with the EPROM?

Has anyone had a slight hum after update? (I think I just need to clean up the cables to get rid of that.

MY EQUIPMENT
                            Rotel 1068
                            Parasound 2205 (220 x 5)
                            Pioneer Elite transport
                            PS2
                            Monster HTS 3600
                            Paradigm Studio 60
                            Paradigm Studio CC 470
                            Paradigm Studio ADP 470
                            IXOS Cables
                            KNU Cables
                            Hitachi 57S500

tim

Comment

• Blindamood
                              • Sep 2003

I just completed the v1.2.2 update (including Eprom) to my RSP-1068 with no hassles whatsoever! So far, everything seems to be working as usual. Will test more thoroughly this afternoon.

Took the time to write down all of my settings, and label each of the in/outputs to the processor before starting...this saved a lot of time afterward.
                              Brad

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                • May 2004

After the "NEW" firmware update?

Do we need to update the EPROM again?

Comment

• ajpoe
                                  • Jul 2004

Tim, nice setup, I have almost the exact same stuff! :T I have not noticed any hum after doing the update.
                                  Last edited by ajpoe; 20 March 2005, 23:51 Sunday. Reason: I'm stupid!
                                  AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• TimGRA
                                    • Feb 2004

I just did the speakers at Christmas time and man was that a great upgrade from the monitors.

I could not get the EPROM to take. I did do the upgrade and it seemed to work.

Do you ever see "Pro Logic" or does it still always say Dolby PLII? Duh, of course it would and if you are running 7.1 then you get the x. I think that is right.

How do we scroll to Game mode? Or do we have to always go into setup and mode?

tim

Comment

• Scherr
                                      • Dec 2003

Tim:

Make sure you reboot the receiver. Before doing, this write down all of your settings because you will need to reenter them.

Scott

Comment

• TimGRA
                                        • Feb 2004

Thanks Scott.

I did reboot and also spoke with Mike @ Rotel. Everything is OK. I will agian try the EPROM at a later date. Other than that, all modes are their and everything is working great.

I cannot say enough about the great service from Rotel and the great help from this site.

tim

Comment

• sarsi
                                          • Nov 2004

Hi PewterTA, Thanks for your assistance. Finally got the firmware and software upgraded moment ago.

A very nerve breaking experience. Initiately got an fail error with the ROMUpdate1 when the flashup issue the erase command . I panic for a while with the 1098 hanged not responding to anything even soft off, but then finally to turn off the hard switch and restart again (which luckily this time everything went well ... pew ... cold sweat).

Did not feel much changes but I think the nice feature of putting to TFT to sleep was rather Kool.

Comment

• sarsi
                                            • Nov 2004

Anyone please HELP ...... after upgrading the firmware now my 1098 does not detect the DTS or Dolby Digital mode, it lock on to the ProLogic PL IIx mode. When using the mode to cycle through, it will only go to music 1, music 2, ..., PCM 2CH, ProLogic PL IIx. How can get it to detect and switch to Dolby Digital, through my DVD is playing DD via the coax digital into the Processor (I have selected the setting correctly in Video 1 to input via digital coax 1 input). Thanks very much in advance

Comment

• skipm
                                              • Jun 2003

Check your default (sound) mode settings on each input. Mine got really wacked out after the upgrade and I had to check and change every one of them. Did you do a factory reset after the upgrade? If not, write down all your current settings and then do the reset. I didn't do a reset (lazy) but checking the input's default mode settings fix my problem.

-Skip

Comment

• sarsi
                                                • Nov 2004

New 1098 Firmwares Issues

Hi Skipm, thanks i just did a factory reset and changed by DVD from PCM output to bitstream and now seem to be able to get DD. thanks again

Comment

• skipm
                                                  • Jun 2003

You're welcome, I'm glad to hear you are back in business.

-Skip

Comment

• sarsi
                                                    • Nov 2004

Help! After I upgraded the firmware to 3.1.5 it toasted my digital board like some of folks here have to send in for repair and waited for 4 weeks before it is finally fixed. I only realised last night when trying to play VCD that I cannot seem to be able to select NEO6: cinema, it only appear to have the selection for NEO6: music.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Have you done a factory reset? If you have and that doesn't fix it contact Rotel and or your dealer as it clearly needs to go in for repair.

Comment

• sarsi
                                                        • Nov 2004

Hi Andrew, thanks. i am real bone head, just realised i need to use +/- on the remote to switch from NEO6:music to NEO6:cinema.

Comment

• mickster1972
                                                          • Feb 2005

New MTTY software not working for me

I was upgrading my firmware (previously version 3, now version 4) and software (from 1.1.9 to 1.2.2) last night to get rid of the bug mentioned in this thread wrt the sound cutting out when switching from DD5.1 to DD2.0 materials (see my other thread on this topic from the day before yesterday), but I'm having a problem. The firmware upgrade went fine but the MTTY software isn't working correctly. I have configured it according to the instructions on the rotel site, but when I click on "connect" it doesn't give me the screen where I can choose to upload the new software file. I turned the Rotel into standby mode, but didn't unplug the connections in the back or turn the unit entirely off in the back. Is this my problem? Is there any other trick to getting the software to take. Thanks guys!
                                                          "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2002

You flipped the dip switches on the back under the little flap right?

Kevin D.

Comment

• mickster1972
                                                              • Feb 2005

yes, I flipped them on.

-Homer

Comment

• mickster1972
                                                                • Feb 2005

I just got a response to my question from Shane Kea at Rotel:

"While doing the software upgrade use the power switch on the back of the unit, not the standby switch on the front. Turn the unit completely off with the hard power switch on the back, flip the software upgrade switches, launch the MTTY software and then turn the unit on with the power switch on the back. This should correct the issue. When the upgrade is done you want to use the power switch on the back to turn the unit off and then return the upgrade switches to the correct operating position."

I will try this tonight and report back if I'm still having problems.

-Homer

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"