• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew-

Which PVR are you using?
    Bell Expressvu 5900 which is the same unit as the Dish 510 that you guys get in the USA

Comment

• pciav
      • Jun 2004

If it helps any, to reiterate, SA-8300HD DVR Cable Box via Digital Coax to RSP-1068 Coax 3. The problem happens when going from a DD 5.1 broadcast to a DD 2.0 broadcast.

Since reverting to 1.1.7, there are no apparent issues. It appears Rom Update #4 is not to blame as there are no issues with 1.1.7. Since KirkJ reported he has the problem with a 1056 running 1.1.9 hopefully Rotel can narrow it down to the changes made in 1.1.9 and 1.2.1 to see what is causing the problem.

Phil C.

Comment

• skipm
        • Jun 2003

Andrew-

The Dish 510 can record/playback a Dolby Digital signal so you are able to switch from a channel broadcasting in Dolby Digital to a channel broadcasting a Dolby ProLogic signal and your 1098 makes the transition correctly?

Also, if memory serves me correct, your 1098 is running v3.x firmware?

-Skip

Comment

• ajpoe
          • Jul 2004

I noticed that the upgrade from 1.1.7 to 1.2.1 fixed the DTS issue in my 1068. I used to lose sound when I would pause a DTS track and try to resume, others had posted the same issue. I tested it out and no longer have this problem. I know it said some detection issues were fixed in the upgrade notes but I thought I would still point it out. Hope I didn't miss where someone already stated this. I have not tested any of the issues being pointed out above but I do have DirecTV with the HD Tivo and I have not noticed anything.
          AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The Dish 510 can record/playback a Dolby Digital signal so you are able to switch from a channel broadcasting in Dolby Digital to a channel broadcasting a Dolby ProLogic signal and your 1098 makes the transition correctly?

Also, if memory serves me correct, your 1098 is running v3.x firmware?
            I don't think I've had any shows in DD yet to test that out and no my 1098 is a V2 model.

Comment

• pciav
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
              ...I don't think I've had any shows in DD yet to test that out and no my 1098 is a V2 model.
              The problem is switching between DD 5.1 and DD 2.0. Both worked fine on their own, the problem occurs specifically when switching between a DD 5.1 source and DD 2.0, like the example given from watching a show in DD 5.1 to a commercial or another show on another channel in DD 2.0.

Comment

• skipm
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by pciav
                ...like the example given from watching a show in DD 5.1 to a commercial....
                Drove me nuts Monday nite watching the Oscar telecast on ABC. It seemed like half the commercials were Dolby ProLogic. I had to watch with remote in hand so I could change the audio mode to 2-Channel stereo and then back to Dolby PLII Cinema. It did it on my cable box and over-the-air HD tuner so it's not the source, but definitely the signal.

-Skip

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                  • May 2004

Andrew, have you gotten any word from Rotel yet? any word on the update for the update :B

Comment

• whmacs
                    • Oct 2003

Guys,
                    I just updated the firmware from v2.1.2 to v2.1.7 but didn't do the the fourth EPROM upgrade (did the previous 3 EPROMs as part of the v2.1.1 upgrade) as the stereo mode from the back two channels in 7 channel stereo didn't interest me. So far I've had zero problems with the upgrade. Is there any reason other than that stated above why I should do the 4th EPROM upgrade or is this purely optional?

thanks,
                    Stephen
                    My Home Theatre

Comment

• hazard
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ajpoe
                      I noticed that the upgrade from 1.1.7 to 1.2.1 fixed the DTS issue in my 1068. I used to lose sound when I would pause a DTS track and try to resume, others had posted the same issue. I tested it out and no longer have this problem.
                      Very same story here. Haven't tested enough yet to find any other issues but I'm extremely well pleased the DTS bug is squashed.

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by whmacs
                        Guys,
                        I just updated the firmware from v2.1.2 to v2.1.7 but didn't do the the fourth EPROM upgrade (did the previous 3 EPROMs as part of the v2.1.1 upgrade) as the stereo mode from the back two channels in 7 channel stereo didn't interest me. So far I've had zero problems with the upgrade. Is there any reason other than that stated above why I should do the 4th EPROM upgrade or is this purely optional?

thanks,
                        Stephen

Stephen,

As far as I know, the 4th EPRom update is strictly for the 7 channel stereo component for the back two channels. Since I have completed the update, I have not tested that aspect of the upgrade. Will check later this evening.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Ok a little update from Rotel. Apparently they're busy working on trying to replicate the issues at the factory and will make the necessary adjustments as soon as possible. I'm not sure when that will be but rest assured they're working on it right now so it shouldn't be too long providing they can replicate the issues we're seeing.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Update #2 heard late last night that they've managed to duplicate the problem at the factory so we're one big step closer to a solution :T

Comment

• pciav
                              • Jun 2004

Excellent news. Thanks for the updates Andrew.

Comment

• skipm
                                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                Update #2 heard late last night that they've managed to duplicate the problem at the factory so we're one big step closer to a solution :T
                                They must have been watching the final NYPD Blue like me.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Nope remember the factory is in china so they is a big time zone difference

Comment

• Kirby
                                    • Oct 2004

I just got my new 1056 with 1.1.9 software. I have the same issue with the centre channel dropping out when going drom 5.1 to prologic and last night with in bypass mode I was getting a click from my speakers everytime I changed the volume. Also when using any Dolby program I get a clicking sound through the speakers when switching the EQ on of off. Has anybody else experienced the clicking sounds when changing volume or switching EQ on or off? I emailed Rotel yeaterday and got a reply late today that there was no issue with 1.1.9 software. I also called tech support and spoke with Shane. He suggested I go back to 1.1.7 software. I hate to got backwards if there are no issues with 1.1.9.

Comment

• Jason R
                                      • Jul 2004

V 2.1.7 RSP 1098:

No real problems listed above but a few things i don't like, but will propably get used to:

1. Volume speed accelarates to quickly, i use a marantz rc5400 remote and don't enjoy the new speed, perhaps i will go back to mid speed but i am worried my 3 yr old does his famous push button trick and the volume goes to high, again solveable by setting max vol but i preffered the old volume control speed.

2. Input knob is painfully slow to respond, i had gotten used to twisting it quick to get to delay or or test tone. now it responds one turn at a time. Defiinitley would prefer it to be quick again, for this alone i would go back to 2.1.3

Other than that , touch wood, no real sodtware problems but could not do flash as the usb to rs232 was troublesome.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

Just to show what Rotel is up against, the two fixes below are for actual things a lot of people complain about!

It's hard to please everybody..

Kevin D.

Originally posted by Jason R
                                        V 2.1.7 RSP 1098:

No real problems listed above but a few things i don't like, but will propably get used to:

1. Volume speed accelarates to quickly, i use a marantz rc5400 remote and don't enjoy the new speed, perhaps i will go back to mid speed but i am worried my 3 yr old does his famous push button trick and the volume goes to high, again solveable by setting max vol but i preffered the old volume control speed.

2. Input knob is painfully slow to respond, i had gotten used to twisting it quick to get to delay or or test tone. now it responds one turn at a time. Defiinitley would prefer it to be quick again, for this alone i would go back to 2.1.3

Other than that , touch wood, no real sodtware problems but could not do flash as the usb to rs232 was troublesome.

Comment

• Jason R
                                          • Jul 2004

Agreed, they obviously made the speed faster due to customer demands, i just preferred it the old way. Can't please everyone all the time. And had i not had the older software version on the unit i would have thought that's the way it was and been very happy.

Comment

• ajpoe
                                            • Jul 2004

I agree the new volume speed is a bit too fast. I would like to see them slow it down a bit... may be we can meet somewhere in the middle.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                              • Oct 2003

Well slow setting sacles very quickly if u keep button pushed in ... scales much too fast - hate to know whta fast does...

Scaling the vol is not important to me the increment jump version 1db, 2db 3db was more than adequate I would have thought?

Rgds Steve.

BTW any news on the firmware issue? My 1068 is fine except Zone 2 but not sure if its the RSP at fault yet.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Kyle
                                                • Jan 2005

Is anyone else having this problem with their 1068s? (Wrong thread I know).

If i'm on say, video4 watching tivo via svideo/rca, and I turn on my dvd player to put in a dvd (but I'm not ready to switch to video1 toslink/component), the sound turns off on video4.

Weird?
                                                My gear

Comment

• ajpoe
                                                  • Jul 2004

check and make sure you don't have the same audio input set for both video 4 and video 1...

Comment

• Kyle
                                                    • Jan 2005

I'm sure I don't have the same audio input for video1 or video4 or else I couldn't watch tivo or dvds
                                                    My gear

Comment

• ajpoe
                                                      • Jul 2004

yeah, i guess i had a brain fart. i was just thinking that i have the same video input set for a couple different audio options... so i can watch tv while listening to music, etc. and that something must be causing a conflict when you power on your dvd player.

i assume in your example of video 4 with RCAs, you're using the analog input setting for video 4 and for video 1, you are using optical 1 for your audio input? i don't see why the 1068 sensing a digital input on optical 1 would cut out your analog for video 4. is it a new unit? may be you should take it to your dealer.

Comment

• Kyle
                                                        • Jan 2005

Well, this behaviour only showed up after the firmware upgrade.

Its weird, like I'll be watching tv, and hit eject on my dvd player. I'll put a dvd in, and the second the dvd starts playing (which used to happen all in the background), my tv sound goes away. At that point I usually go, "ok, movietime" and switch over to video1 and watch my movie, afterwhich TV works again as expected.
                                                        My gear

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2002

Did you default the system settings after the firmware upgrade? Could be getting confused on some options..

Kevin D.

Originally posted by Kyle
                                                          Well, this behaviour only showed up after the firmware upgrade.

Its weird, like I'll be watching tv, and hit eject on my dvd player. I'll put a dvd in, and the second the dvd starts playing (which used to happen all in the background), my tv sound goes away. At that point I usually go, "ok, movietime" and switch over to video1 and watch my movie, afterwhich TV works again as expected.

Comment

• Kyle
                                                            • Jan 2005

Yup, I did firmware first, defaulted, re set things up, then did the other upgrade a few days later (the nvram or whatever).

TV works fine, DVD works fine, but sometimes it just gets confused. Which I don't get because i wasn't aware that the 1068 had any 'auto-sensing' capability.

It isn't really a big issue, I was just puzzled because it has happened a few times.
                                                            My gear

Comment

• sarsi
                                                              • Nov 2004

I noticed that the firmware referred to upgrade from v3.1.0 to v3.1.1 then v3.1.1 to v3.1.4. Do I need to first upgrade to v3.1.1 then to v3.1.4? if that the case where can I get the v3.1.1, I certainly hope I need not to do that.

Thanks in advance

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                • Nov 2004

Sarsi, no you don't need to upgrade to 3.1.1, 3.1.4 has all the updates in it from both the 3.1.0 and 3.1.1.

So you can go straight to 3.1.4. I did, and have little to NO problems with my 1098 with 3.1.4.

Though I do agree, I'm starting to dislike the speed of the slow on the volume control. I wish it wouldn't go quite as fast, but it's better than nothing. It would be nice if they re-release the firmware with the speed slowed down a little bit. It goes from say 50 - 30 in a heart beat once it gets going.
                                                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                                -Dan

Comment

• sarsi
                                                                  • Nov 2004

Thanks for the info Pewter TA. Is it worth the upgrade ? Any cool stuff other than ProLogic for game.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                    • Nov 2004

Pro Logic Game, Speed control with the Volume, Ability to turn off the display (sleep mode) are the main points to it. As well as (with the EPROM Update) a true stereo 7.1 surrounds for the 7 channel stereo. Enhanced the stream detection for the various DD/DTS audio streams. This fixed my problem with my DVD player and pausing a DTS stream, it would loose the stream and never play sound until the inputs or audio tracks were switch. So I really like that.

Over all, I like the update, I think it works very well. Plus it was fun to know I updated it myself! ha ha.
                                                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                                    -Dan

Comment

• kirkj
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2005

Anyone know if there's been any progress on the Dolby audio problem?

- Kirk.

Comment

• sarsi
                                                                        • Nov 2004

Thanks Pewter TA for the explanation, pretty technical.

Comment

• PiDD
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003

Hey it's been a while .. any news of a release date for the new firmware?

Comment

• mpauline
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2003
                                                                            • 178

Hello,

I see that all the firmware was removed from the Rotel site. Does anyone have the version 2.1.4 that they can send me?

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 16507

#83
                                                                              The new code should be up in a few days or so...at least that's what I'm hearing from Rotel

Comment

• kirkj
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2005
                                                                                • 25

#84
                                                                                Thanks, Andrew.

Do you know what's in this release (ie will it fix the Dolby audio problem)?

- Kirk.

Comment

• TimGRA
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2004
                                                                                  • 54

#85
                                                                                  Firmware is now at the Rotel site! Yahoo! :lol:

Comment

• pciav
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2004
                                                                                    • 49

#86
                                                                                    Downloaded and installed V1.2.2. No problems with the download or the upload. I am happy to report that all DD 2.0 issues seem to be resolved. I will test further this evening, but I believe all is good for now.

Thanks to Andrew for all the help. Good job to Rotel for listening, finding, and fixing the problem.

Phil C.

Comment

• skipm
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2003
                                                                                      • 198

#87
                                                                                      Just finished upgrading my 1098 to v2.18 (no issues), and I just fired it up and flipped over to CBS, which is broadcasting all the basketball games in DD (not to mention HD!) and while I was typing this message, a commerical came on and if I hadn't been looking at the TFT, I would have never known my Rotel switched to Dolby PLII Cinema. Sweet! It switched backed to DD when the game came back on just as smoothly (no clicking sound either).

Thanx Rotel for the swift fix and thank you Andrew for getting the word to Rotel so fast. To get this level of service without ever having to even make a phone call is just one of the many reasons why I am and always will be a Rotel customer.

-Skip

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2003
                                                                                        • 1204

#88
                                                                                        I just received a new 1098 from Rotel with 3.1.5 dated 3-8-05 on it. Seems to work extremely well in terms of digital sensing and switching.
                                                                                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 16507

#89
                                                                                          Great to hear the fix worked:T I can't take any credit for it though it was all you guys and Rotels tech's that did the work I just acted as the messenger. Still I bet the guys in tech support might like to get a positive email thanking them once in awhile if this fixed your problem

Comment

• TimGRA
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2004
                                                                                            • 54

#90
                                                                                            Has anyone used a USB to serial port adapter for this upgrade? If so what brand has been used? And does your USB port have to be hi-speed? I have not heard many good reports when an adapter is used. Thoughts?

tim

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"