What features would you like on the next Rotel Preamp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boe
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
    The 1068 has a detachable power cord. TMHobbies may have meant balanced outs as Fishy listed just b-4 him.
    Thanks for clarifying that for me. I try not to add requests on my original post for things the 1068 already has since it has MANY things I do like already. I do however try to add things that I forgot or didn't know about that people here have been willing to share.

I guess if I were smart, I would change this now to a poll and ask how many people would want any of the dozen or so things I have listed. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. If someone wouldn't mind helping, I would appreciate the info.

Comment

• boe
      • Jul 2004

I figured out how I could have put the poll in the original thread - I'd like to delete it and put it in the original thread. I don't want a duplicate thread - is there a way for me to delete the poll thread?

Comment

• jdreier
        • Aug 2005

if your still listening to this post

I like many of the other’s recommendations, I do not have a Rotel yet but I will be getting a pre amp next year when HDMI is really available and working, and Rotel has always s been at the top of my list. Her are the things that I require.

1) 1080p up converting for all video inputs. That is, no matter what video cable I run to my Rotel pre: S-video, composite, component, DVI it is all up converted to 1080p so I only have one HDMI cable running to my projector mounted in the back of the room on the ceiling.

2) At least 4 HDMI inputs
        DVD
        CABLE
        PC
        VIDEO GAME
        OTHER

3) Audio Up converting to HDMI for all audio sources. That way no matter what source the audio come in on, RCA, Optical, coax, or HDMI, I have only one HDMI cable running to my audio Digital Signal Processor (DSP)

4) At least 2 HDMI outputs, even if they are the same source. One will run to my video projector and the other will run to my audio DSP.

5) Digital volume control i.e. even though I am using the HDMI out for my audio to my DSP I want the volume knob on the Rotel to still control the master volume on all channels.

6) The TFT screen on the front must not require that composite video be connected from all sources like it is now. It must accept all types of video input.

Boe, I don't know if you work for Rotel or are just a guy asking the question, but If Rotel puts this in a pre amp I'll buy the first.

Fell free to e-mail me if you want clarification on any of this

Best regards and thanks for asking

James

Comment

• boe
          • Jul 2004

I'm looking forward to CES this year. The HD-DVD and BR should be in their release format by now. Hopefully Rotel will have some info on upcoming preamps (I'm also hoping Denon finally is getting to release the pre-amp their own sales rep said he wanted at CES last year).

Comment

• boe
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jdreier

Boe, I don't know if you work for Rotel or are just a guy asking the question, but If Rotel puts this in a pre amp I'll buy the first.

Best regards and thanks for asking

James
            Sorry I don't work for Rotel but am available for testing

I think your requests are probably aimed at the successor for their other model - the 1098 - meant more for people looking for video processing/switching (1098) as well as the audio(1068). The 1098 is slick but I don't want to pay more for something that doesn't do much for me. Typically video processors actually degrade the signal to some degree and on large screens even the slightest degradation would be too much for me.

Comment

• boe
              • Jul 2004

Simple design - not attempting to be a piece of modern art.

Simple knobs/buttons - not trying to hide them or make them futuristic.

Clean display - not too stingy in the information displayed but not BLING BLING with stupid equalizers that don't really display information.

Price/performance - not trying to go after just the .005% of the market that lives in million dollar homes.

Comment

• lvhung
                • Jun 2005

- I'd like the 1068 having the volume knob great feelling of RA-1062
                - The Volume knob is laid out in the right not center
                - It would have golden-plated in pre-out outputs

Comment

• grit
                  • Jan 2005

I want analog crossover for 2-ch bypass. I'd love to be able to run my sub with 2 channel stereo without having to convert a perfectly good analog bypassed signal BACK to digital to cross it over and BACK to analog to play it.

Comment

• VikingP
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by grit
                    I want analog crossover for 2-ch bypass. I'd love to be able to run my sub with 2 channel stereo without having to convert a perfectly good analog bypassed signal BACK to digital to cross it over and BACK to analog to play it.
                    That would trully be awesome!
                    Does anyone know something of the sort would be possible as a software upgrade; one that would send the analog signal straight out bypassing the ADC/DAC stage to the mains, but would also send a copy of the same signal to the digital crossover stage, apply the low-pass filter and then send it to the sub out? The sub crossover frequency would then be set according to the mains' low end rolloff, thus permitting bypass for the fronts, and a crossed sub?

Paul

Comment

• boe
                      • Jul 2004

I'm just hoping they have something to show at CES. The 1068 has had a good run - I'm hoping they have something to show that might be released within the next 6 months.

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

How about multiple video outputs? Many people are now running both a Television and some sort of projection system on the same system.
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Nolan B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2005

I would love to see the DVDO iscan VP30 built into the next pre amp to do all of the video scaling and switching.

Comment

• eelco74
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                            How about multiple video outputs? Many people are now running both a Television and some sort of projection system on the same system.
                            I have the same problem. I have a plasma and a beamer connected to my rsp-1068 via component. I have made a DIY solotion with an alu box, some RCA connectors and switches. It works, but I would have liked to have 2 component outs.

But you are right, someone who buys a 1600 Euro processor is bound to have more both projection and a lcd/plasma.
                            Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• RobP
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

I ended up using a calrad distribution amplifer for my component outputs, it works really well, but it is another piece that I had to buy.
                              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2003

It took me a while to dig this up

Hi,

The best info I can get is that Rotel have several experimental design "mules" for the sucessor of the RSP-1098. They are still finalising the feature set (or claim to be anyway!)...

Expect some sneak previews early next year with a claimed release mid to late next year (though this could slip due to the complexity of the design etc and he number of projects Rotel is working on simultaneously... Rotel is very keen to include current spec HDMI sound and video processing and a processor capable of software upgrade to the new Hi-Res digital sound formats being argued over by the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD camps... Getting this right is on the critical path for the design...

One year later (2007) expect a flow down 1068 replacement...

Geoff

Comment

• mattburk
                                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                  Hi,

The best info I can get is that Rotel have several experimental design "mules" for the sucessor of the RSP-1098. They are still finalising the feature set (or claim to be anyway!)...

Expect some sneak previews early next year with a claimed release mid to late next year (though this could slip due to the complexity of the design etc and he number of projects Rotel is working on simultaneously... Rotel is very keen to include current spec HDMI sound and video processing and a processor capable of software upgrade to the new Hi-Res digital sound formats being argued over by the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD camps... Getting this right is on the critical path for the design...

One year later (2007) expect a flow down 1068 replacement...

Geoff
                                  Current spec hdmi meaning 1.1? I hope they plan on at least 1.2 as it is backwards compatible with 1.1. 1.3 I believe requires different hardware and is not finalized yet, but I think 1.2 is ready to go.
                                  I hope rotel gets it done soon, I plan on going back to rotel separates with the next generation.
                                  www.mycstone.com
                                  www.coverednow.com
                                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2003

Mattburk,

My understanding of current spec is the 1.2 format as this is what the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD proponents are focusing on and I know that is where Rotel want to be future proof... They need the hardware to last 2-3 years model life..

Geoff

Comment

• Fishy
                                      • Jul 2004

So they have no plans to release any module upgrades to the 1098? Am I reading this correctly.

If that is the case, when it comes around to upgrading I will be moving away from Rotel.

I bought the 1098 over the 1068 due to the sales person giving the indication that Rotel would be releasing upgrades.

Fish

Comment

• EAmin
                                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Fishy
                                        So they have no plans to release any module upgrades to the 1098? Am I reading this correctly.

If that is the case, when it comes around to upgrading I will be moving away from Rotel.

I bought the 1098 over the 1068 due to the sales person giving the indication that Rotel would be releasing upgrades.

Fish
                                        I got the 1098 for the same reason. Disappointing, but I'm not sure if the upgrades are worth it either. I read on another forum that the Bryston upgrade is going to cost $1400. I'm sure it is going to be a great pre/pro after the upgrade --- it is already. It seems like most of the upgrades are $1000+. And if we were to trade in our 1098's for a 1099 in a year or two --- wouldn't we be paying for a difference around the $1K - $1.5K mark?

I think the upgrades make sense at a certain price point if you have a MC12 or a Casablanca. But with a $3K processor, I'm not sure it does.

Just my .02.
                                        Last edited by EAmin; 08 November 2005, 18:17 Tuesday.

Comment

• mattburk
                                          • Feb 2003

those anthem upgrades look pretty spendy too.
                                          www.mycstone.com
                                          www.coverednow.com
                                          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• grit
                                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                            Mattburk,

My understanding of current spec is the 1.2 format as this is what the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD proponents are focusing on and I know that is where Rotel want to be future proof... They need the hardware to last 2-3 years model life..

Geoff
                                            is there any chance the reason for the high expected cost and the 1.2 HDMI spec on this DVD player is because Rotel is planning support for Blue-Ray or HD-DVD?

Comment

• boe
                                              • Jul 2004

Is the HDMI 1.2 Spec final?

Are there any units from any manufacturer shipping with it yet?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2003

Hoe,

Acording to their web site http://www.hdmi.com/press/pr/pr_20050823.asp the HDMI 1.2 spec seems to be out since about August this year...

Geoff

Comment

• bigburner
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

If we're talking 2-channel hi-fi then I want a full range of treble and bass controls. Why Rotel presumes that we all listen to perfect recordings is a mystery to me.

Comment

• yba_us
                                                    • May 2005

Hi,Guys!
                                                    Here is my idea.It would be nice to remove the company from China.It maybe could help on some reliability issues.As I remember,Rotel did not have this many problem in the past,10 years back.I had a lot's of rotel in my system's and I'm so sad because Rotel is no more than Harman in reliability wise.I have a friend who is got the second processor from the dealer and it was defected also.Why is that?Rotel is a well known brand all around the world.
                                                    I think,before they change anything in their product,they should make it reliable,like Parasound or Anthem,etc.I would rather pay more for their product,if the quality would be the same as some other companies.
                                                    I do not want to hurt anybodys feelings here.I still love Rotel,but we had too many problems with it.I know,there are some owners who are going to say"I never had any problem with it....",but is still true,Rotel is unreliable today.I hope they listen and willing to change that in the near future.
                                                    Because of this situation,it would be nice to have 5 years transferable waranty.I think right now it would be a suicide from Rotel!
                                                    Have a nice listening,Fellas.
                                                    I'm still working on my English....:-)!
                                                    Best regards,Tibor

Comment

• Ossi
                                                      • Jul 2003

It is a shame that Rotel does not deliver a hardware upgrade for the 1098. I have really been hoping to see a new DSP card for room correction.
                                                      This is even harder to understand has a look to Sherwood with the P965 have managed to perform this.
                                                      Saying this, I believe it is time to sell the 1098 as long as one still can get money for it.

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"