X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boe
    • Jul 2004

Preamp advice - Rotel, Integra, B&K?

I have a lot of feaure requirements that to me don't seem unreasonable but might seem demanding to others. I'm having a very difficult time narrowing down a reaonably priced $1000-$2000 preamp. I would really prefer a black front to match all my other components (plus I prefer my HT as black as possible - less distracting in the dark).

I would like it to have at least 3 optical inputs, DPL IIx, THX Ultra2 and DTS Neo. I definitely want a preamp with a knob for the volume. I like the volume max on the DTC-9.4 although I like the fact that mine is black to match the rest of the unit and has a small led indicator for the position of the volume on the knob. I like the ability to rename the components on the display as one of my units is an HTPC.

I want it be rs232 or RJ45 firmware upgradeable (this helped extend the life and remove issues with my old preamp - this had 5 updates over 5 years with no hardware upgrades required and the downloads were free - it makes no sense that some charge for these). Hopefully there are manufacturers that post them on a regular basis for feature set improvements and additional functions.

My current Preamp doesn't support multichannel SACDs. This would be a plus.

I currently have a Sony 9000es preamp which is still very good for the $1000 I paid 5 years ago but it is time to move that to the bedroom to replace my much older 1000es preamp (12 years old) and get a new one for the living room. I'd be perfectly happy getting another Sony preamp if they had one with some newer technology but they don't have any news on their 10es preamp so I'm looking for a good alternative.

The Integra 9.4 doesn't have DPL IIx, The Rotel 1068 is a strong possibility but I'd read enough posts about hiss, problems with two speaker performance tht I'm a little concerned. I'm also looking at the B&K ref 50 although rumor has it they have one to replace it coming out relatively soon. I checked out the Outlaw but something doesn't jive with me. Denon has one in the works but it is probably a year away. The Sherwood doesn't have THX ultra2 so it is definitely out. I like the solid feal of my 9000es which compared to the B&K seems a little hollow. Not as important as sound quality though.

I have a lot of different components - Sony (I was getting a big discount) Parasound, Rotel, Tandberg, VonSchweikert, Audioquest, Monster, Mitsubishi and I'm very happy with the bang for the buck I got on everything. My only regret was my Sunfire sub -POS for the money.

I'm not sure about the DAC requirements for the preamp - any thoughts?
    Last edited by boe; 30 July 2004, 23:57 Friday.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Boe the hiss problems with the Rotel are WAY over blown and its really not a factor any longer. There was a problem with some of the first run models but that's since been corrected. Go to a dealer and take a serious listen to one and judge it for yourself...I think you'll like it

Comment

• boe
      • Jul 2004

Wow

Thanks for the amazingly fast response. Have you seen a side by side comparison chart for the 1068 vs the 1098? I don't need the video switching but I'm curious about other features. They really need to update their web site with more pictures and facts.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"