X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boe
    • Jul 2004

What preamp to look at at CES?

I'm heading to CES to check out Peamps - nothing to exceed $3500.

I'm hoping to get something that is supported for years to come. My old Sony had firmware updates for 3 years after I got it.

I want plenty of quality inputs - optical and RCA (I can't believe some expensive preamps put cheap steel rca connectors) -

I don't care about video switching (I prefer to avoid extra connections that can degrade the video signal) - although I won't rule out a unit because it does or does not have this feature. (I have 2 DVD's, a recorder, a tuner, a HTPC, and of course I want room for more just in case)

I would like something firmware upgradeable more than having to buy a hardware upgrade for new DTS and Dolby formats. So something with the processing power to support future formats.

I'm only interested in preamps that have been out for 1 year or less. Technology changes too quickly for me to look at something that is going to be replaced soon.

I want something with a volume knob - I don't want to search for a tiny button. I would prefer an all black unit so it doesn't stick out from the rest of my equipment.

I want something with bang for the buck. My old Sony was $1000 and had adequate sound and plenty of control (for the money). Granted it won't compare with a new $1000 preamp but for 5+ years old it is still a good unit. I'm looking for something I'll want to keep for 5+ years and still think it sounds good and has adequate control. Granted if it weren't for the firmware upgrades this unit wouldn't cut it.

Ideally I could select between balanced amp outs and regular.

I'd like to know more about the new dolby headphone jacks. That may be important to me in a year or so.

I'm definitely checking out the Anthem. The Halo didn't have enough of anything to keep my interest. I've heard completely mixed reviews on the Rotel but the 1098 is too old for me to consider as a new preamp. Hopefully they'll have something new.

I realize each persons needs and goals are different so not everyone will agree but I would imagine I'm not that unique in this list.

Thanks for your suggestions. It has been a while since I've seriously looked at preamps and I've never considered anything over $1,000 so your advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by boe; 07 December 2004, 00:49 Tuesday.
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Are you talking pre-amps or pre-amp processors?

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Hey, boe, you mentioned the Halo pre/pros. They're getting upgraded and overhauled over the holidays, likely out by CES, including software upgrades that come in less than 2 weeks.

Other than the Halo, Parasound is also introducing brand new Classic models, not under the Halo line, that are fully upgradable. You can check out our discussions in Club Parasound.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• boe
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jimmyp58
        Are you talking pre-amps or pre-amp processors?

Jim
        I guess I would like a pre-amp processor if I want DTS and DD etc. I could be wrong - I'm not sure what the difference is between a pre-amp and a pre-amp processor. I'm using it 90% for home theatre and 10% for music.

Chris - thanks for the info - I'm heading to the parasound forum now.

P.S. Any helpful info on dolby headphone jacks would be appreciated. I'm a newbie to this territory but it might be important to me - I have no way of knowing. I'm looking to get some new Sennheiser surround sound headphones scheduled to be released this coming year.
        Last edited by boe; 04 December 2004, 19:50 Saturday.

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Pre-amp processor is a computer and is affiliated with home theater. Typically, pre-amps are for 2-channel listening with no computerization of the sound.

Comment

• boe
            • Jul 2004

Jimmy - you chimed in to make sure I knew the difference between a preamp and a preamp processor. Did you have a suggestion on units to look at that meet my criteria?

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

How old is the rotel 1098?

I'm in the same ballpark as you for what's important...and have been struggling to find anything that stands out. But I was leaning towards the 1098, but I agree if it is 'old' then I'd wait for something 'newer' and possibly better.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Junior & boe:

If you really want something that is going to stick out, you are going to have to spend some dollars. You each, on various posts, have some factors that will limit what you can get for the $$$ you are willing to spend. Not that spending $2,500 - $3,500 MSRP is chicken-feed but if you want sonic brilliance or a ton of features or something that looks incredible, you'll need to grow the bank account a bit. There are some phenomenal options at or below your budget but as you have or may find out, there are limitations. I am not aware of anything major being released other than some newer Parasound equipment (which looks awesome and I am sure performs awesome but will cost some $$$$). Anthem released the AVM-30 & Statement D1 earlier this year, Bryston came out with the 1.7 last year and will do some upgrades to it in the coming few months but no new pre-pro model, Krell has had their processors out for a bit so maybe something new there but whatever it is, it'll cost far more than what you guys have budgeted. Rotel just came out with the RSP-1068 and I don't hear anything that they'll replace the 1098 this year. B&K should have some stuff on Ref-50 Version 2 and Arcam AV8 has been around for a couple of years and far exceeds your stated budgets (plus I don't know if they'll announce their new pre-pro [if they have one] at this CES). Maybe Lexicon but that ain't cheap either.

So, there is a wealth of great stuff at or below your budgets but there are limitations. Far more options to meet your needs but more costly.

Jim

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

That's what its turning out to be....

I might just have to stick it out with my Denon 3803 as my pre/processor untill someone comes out with my 'ideal' product in the price range i'm willing to spend.

so, just for my curiousity of the BIG HITTERS, which is the 'best buy' or would need a serious audition? I have yet to hear a bad thing about the anthem line. Not sure what the statement D1 is....i'm guessing a premier version.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

The Statement D1 is a Cadillac of sorts. Big price tag and Anthem's top-of-the-line. Lexicon MC-12 is a dynamite unit and it should be for the near $10,000 price tag. The Parasound Halo series is awesome too. Arcam AV8 is a fantastic unit as well as the Bryston SP 1.7 (but this one certainly isn't for you as it has zero video switching although you can purchase a Bryston designed separate video switcher to complement this pre-pro --- SPV1 which adds another $1,700 [MSRP] to the price tag). Krell's processors are very expensive and have received so-so reviews --- a member here had I believe three of them due to problems.

It is truly difficult to say what is "ideal" as all have features and sonic nuances that set them apart. It really comes down to the owner's personal needs/tastes. To me, the Bryston is a "best buy" but that is because I wanted a premier 2-channel performer that combined awesome HT capabilities; another guy may not want that as they may want a processor with a built-in tuner --- like the AV8, etc.

Jim

Comment

• boe
                      • Jul 2004

Thanks for everyone's help. I posted a question about technical specs based on your suggestions in the Home Theatre section - I'm not sure if I should post those questions here.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"