Poll - features on the next 1068 replacement model

1) True balanced outputs

2) Adjustable brightness for the display from the remote

3) Dolby Headphone Jack

4) Network Radio In

5) More than one 1394

6) THREE x HDMI In and TWO x HDMI Out

7) Upgradeable for SACD 2.0,

8) Upgradeable to Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD - at least updateable by firmware download to support full bandwidth/bit-rate ("lossless").

9) Audyssey room calibration - with manual override

10) Firmware upgrade to be accessible from a USB (2.0) port on the front - that would be much more handy than an RS232 on the back - automatic with a usb flash memory/pen would be better than having to use a PC/Laptop-Mits TVs have this feature using flash cards.
    True balanced outputs
    9.04%
    Adjustable brightness for the display from the remote
    7.63%
    Dolby Headphone Jack
    6.02%
    Firmware upgrade to be accessible from a USB (2.0) port on the front - that would be much more handy than an RS232 on the back - automatic with a memory stick would be better than having to use a PC/Laptop-Mits TVs have this feature using flash cards.
    14.46%
    More than one 1394
    4.02%
    THREE x HDMI In and TWO x HDMI Out
    17.47%
    Upgradeable for SACD 2.0
    7.63%
    Upgradeable to Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD - at least updateable by firmware download to support full bandwidth/bit-rate.
    19.28%
    Audyssey room calibration - with manual override
    10.84%
    Network Radio In
    3.61%
    Last edited by boe; 14 April 2006, 11:29 Friday.
  • boe
    • Jul 2004

Request to the editors

If they wouldn't mind, I'd like to edit the firmware - I'd like it to say flash usb. Some people might think I'm referring to Sony's memory stick format which requires a memory stick slot on their pc or laptop. Could you please change it so it says USB 2.0 flash memory instead of memory stick? Thanks!

(USB 2.0 flash pens can be read on 1.x usb ports so they are backwards compatable with older PCs but much faster for anyone with a newer PC)

Comment

• raider
      • Dec 2004

I think Having HDMI connections is #1 as it elliminates all the cables for each channel of information and signal transfer is in the digital domain with a single cable.
      Also it should be software upgradable for the next gen of hi def multi channel audio associated with hi def video!
      It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• boe
        • Jul 2004

Anyone know if there is a way to add a few more options to this poll?

Comment

• ht_obsessive
          • Jan 2005

I am convinced that advanced video switching will not appear on the next gen pre/pro's. Rotel and others are going towards separate video handling devices - hence the forthcoming RVE-970!

Comment

• Radec
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ht_obsessive
            I am convinced that advanced video switching will not appear on the next gen pre/pro's. Rotel and others are going towards separate video handling devices - hence the forthcoming RVE-970!
            What if anything do we know about this? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything, so if there is something, sorry.

I like the concept, it seems that the video capabilities on every reciever/preamp I've owned has always been "lagging" behind their audio capabilities.

radec

Comment

• gd
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Radec
              seems that the video capabilities on every reciever/preamp I've owned has always been "lagging" behind their audio capabilities.
              Yet another good reason -- the first being sound quality -- to have a separate video switcher / processor / upconverter / whatever when you're considering an upscale pre-pro... then Rotel can load the upcoming unit with nothing but audio upgrades without having to consider video interference... like Bryston.

Me, I'm happy to to hookup all video sources directly to the TV... I know, not an option for everyone.
              greg (gd to you)
              Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
              production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wanderso
                • Sep 2002

It would be even better IF Rotel did a realistic TRADE UP program for older Rotel units such as Lexicon does!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

From what I've seen, applying the typical trade up prices that Lexicon gets, it would be cheaper to sell the old Rotel product and buy the new one.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wanderso
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Kevin D
                    From what I've seen, applying the typical trade up prices that Lexicon gets, it would be cheaper to sell the old Rotel product and buy the new one.

Kevin D.
                    I have taken part in the Lex trade ups and believe me, you are mistaken! They give a very good price on the trades. The price is set by Lex and the dealers have no say in the price. They can drop the line, but...most want the brand connection.

As well there is no hassle. Bring in your unit and walk out with the new one. No dealer BS, no haggling, nada, save the taxes as well (on the trade value)...

It is true that you can sell your old unit, but unless you get some noob you won't get as much as you think and you run the possibility of said noob coming back to haunt you when Rotel does not give them any warranty.

Wilson

Comment

• csuzor
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ht_obsessive
                      Here it is, RVE-1070

Comment

• santiago
                        • Apr 2005

that he is rve 1070 is used single for signals as video.es that today I buy the 1068+1075. I am expected the purchase?

Comment

• boe
                          • Jul 2004

I'm glad this poll is getting some responses. I'm in one of my fits where I want the equipment now even though the next generation of HD/Blue Laser DVD isn't available yet.

Comment

• boe
                            • Jul 2004

Bluetooth 2.0 headphones

I'm not sure if I'm pushing the envelope but as BT 2.0 headphones become more popular, I'd like to make sure my preamp can take advantage of that technology. The transmitter might connect into my preamp, but I want to make sure my preamp can handle the connection however that may be. I'm guessing it would be a mini jack.

Comment

• aarsoe
                              • May 2004

Guys

If you post a question regarding true balanced outputs, shouldnt there also be true balanced inputs - at least for 2 channel stereo!

Comment

• boe
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by aarsoe
                                Guys

If you post a question regarding true balanced outputs, shouldnt there also be true balanced inputs - at least for 2 channel stereo!
                                I was referring to the XLR outputs, can you clarify what you mean by blanced inputs?

Comment

• boe
                                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by boe
                                  I was referring to the XLR outputs, can you clarify what you mean by blanced inputs?
                                  Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

Comment

• mikeyc
                                    • Sep 2004

Is there a rough date for the 1068 replacement? I'm about to buy the 1068 and wouldn't want to be behind the curve after waiting so long.

Comment

• gregoree
                                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mikeyc
                                      Is there a rough date for the 1068 replacement? I'm about to buy the 1068 and wouldn't want to be behind the curve after waiting so long.
                                      Ditto

Comment

• csuzor
                                        • Nov 2004

Is there any serious reason to believe there is a replacement planned for the 1068 anytime soon?

Is there anyone prepared to pay serious money to upgrade for the mentioned features? I suspect very few people.

Sure for a new purchase, more features are always better, but is anyone buying another brand because these particular features are missing? HDMI? 1394? Headphone jack? balanced connections? Really?

I believe Rotel could wait a long time before releasing their replacement, until there is a real market requirement. There are other priorities, imho.

Comment

• boe
                                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by csuzor
                                          Is there any serious reason to believe there is a replacement planned for the 1068 anytime soon?

Is there anyone prepared to pay serious money to upgrade for the mentioned features? I suspect very few people.

Sure for a new purchase, more features are always better, but is anyone buying another brand because these particular features are missing? HDMI? 1394? Headphone jack? balanced connections? Really?

I believe Rotel could wait a long time before releasing their replacement, until there is a real market requirement. There are other priorities, imho.
                                          While some of these features are available on other units, some features such as the DTS-HD/Dolby Digital Plus listed above aren't. But I sure hope that Rotel makes this a priority as soon as the rough requirements are avialable to them (maybe the specs are available to them now - I really don't know). DTS ES and some other formats weren't available when my preamp came out but I was able to upgrade it through firmware downloads to handle these newer formats. I'd love to buy a new preamp today if I could get most of these features but I will definitely not replace my preamp until I know it can handle the new DTS/HD format without buying an upgrade hardware module. If some brand were to promise it for free, I might be inclined to buy today. While I like Rotel's bang for the buck approach, this is one bang I would not do without and would buy another brand if necessary to get this feature.

As for HDMI and 1394, I'm sure as hell not going to risk that I need that for my next optical reader(wether it is Blu Ray or HD DVD or some combo depending on what happens) and my preamp doesn't have it.

While I can live without balanced connections as only one of my current amps has balanced ins on it, I sure would prefer the flexibility as the next amp I purchase will probably have that.

I can live without a headphone jack but it would be nice. The same goes for the other items I would like in my next preamp. They wouldn't necessarily make or break the deal for me but it would be great IMO if Rotel considered them on their next preamp.
                                          Last edited by boe; 22 May 2005, 21:54 Sunday.

Comment

• csuzor
                                            • Nov 2004

OK boe, we are in agreement: none of these features are worth an upgrade from 1068, but all are nice in a new preamp purchase. The exceptions are the HD audio format for movies, whose specs are still not frozen (afaik), and which are still not sure to capture market acceptance (DD/DTS are already quite good for movies, how many consumers expect more than that?), and which still don't exist on competitive preamps.

hmmm... I'm happy I bought my 1068 rather than waiting a long time for this future version.

Comment

• boe
                                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by csuzor
                                              OK boe, we are in agreement: none of these features are worth an upgrade from 1068, but all are nice in a new preamp purchase. The exceptions are the HD audio format for movies, whose specs are still not frozen (afaik), and which are still not sure to capture market acceptance (DD/DTS are already quite good for movies, how many consumers expect more than that?), and which still don't exist on competitive preamps.

hmmm... I'm happy I bought my 1068 rather than waiting a long time for this future version.
                                              Right, I'm not saying I expect them to come out with a replacement for the 1068 today, I'm just listing things I would like on the next model hopefully within about 9 months (I don't know if I can wait a whole year again :E ).. I'm not saying anyone would be right or wrong to get the 1068 now. I'm saying for my needs since I already have a preamp that is relatively acceptable I would want these features before it would be worth it at my income to make the jump. The title of the poll says it all - this is for the next rotel 1068 replacement model - I don't know what that number will be 1069, 1078, 2068 or whatever.

I sincerely do believe the DTS-HD will gain at least as much market acceptance as the current DTS has although I would expect it to be significantly more. I realize not every movie has been released with DTS but I don't know a single serious DVD collector that hasn't upgraded to the DTS version when it became availalble. And most of those are only half bit DTS recordings. LOTREEs were full DTS but because of single disc limitations most movies are only half bit DTS- switching out DVDs is a PITA. When BR/HD DVDs come out they will have the space for full DTS-HD on a single disc so that will be a significant improvement - kind of like a full multichannel SACD for the movie! Of course I'm not psychic so I can't say this as if it is fact but I can't believe that it won't catch on any more than I can imagine high definition movies not catching on.

Likewise I wouldn't upgrade my preamp just to get the HDMI or 1394 - because they go hand in hand with BR/HD DVDs and DTS-HD/Dolby Digital. I'm not sure that the new HDMI standard (1.2?) has been fully defined for DTS-HD and DD Plus transport.

It is just my hope that my next preamp will have all of these features and I'd prefer it come from Rotel - frankly an Anthem is a tad out of my price range
                                              Last edited by boe; 24 May 2005, 12:09 Tuesday.

Comment

• quadhammer
                                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by boe
                                                And most of those are only half bit DTS recordings. LOTREEs were full DTS but because of single disc limitations most movies are only half bit DTS- switching out DVDs is a PITA. )
                                                I think you'll find the LOTR : EEs were still only half bitrate DTS, even though the movie was spread over two discs.

Comment

• boe
                                                  • Jul 2004

You are correct, I heard a rumor they were making them more than one disc so they could do full bit rate, I was quite mistaken!

Comment

• boe
                                                    • Jul 2004

If digital amps do ever sound as good or better than current amps, will special connectors be required?

Comment

• Mark1Ace1
                                                      • Jun 2005

Wow, I am certainly interested in the RVE 1070. I would not however want Rotel to make the 1068 or 1098 obsolete, just because of a headphone socket or DD Plus etc etc!!! Although, I would not mind seeing THX, I know this is only a license, but those Rotel owners that want it, could pay a small premium for the software download, particulary on the 1098 where they use the Cirrus Logic chip - I think that is the right name for it! Anyways, apart from that, I think both the 1098 and 1068 have got a few years left in them yet.

Mark
                                                      Last edited by Mark1Ace1; 21 June 2005, 00:18 Tuesday.

Comment

• boe
                                                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Mark1Ace1
                                                        Wow, I am certainly interested in the RVE 1070. I would not however want Rotel to make the 1068 or 1098 obsolete, just because of a headphone socket or DD Plus etc etc!!!
                                                        Mark
                                                        There are quite a few items that in my opinion would be really nice on the successor to the 1068. What would it take for you to want them to upgrade the 1068?

Comment

• riwi
                                                          • Jan 2004

I voted for true balanced outputs.

Higher on my list would be 'better bass management'
                                                          I would like more frequencies too choose from (ie. 5 Hz intervals between 40Hz - 120Hz), selectable per speaker.
                                                          I would also like to have the upper part of the LFE channel to be redirectable to the main speakers. My Sub does a fine job for 20Hz-60Hz, but anything over 80Hz sounds boomy. I would like this range to be output via the main speakers.

Comment

• boe
                                                            • Jul 2004

Ces

If anyone gets any info on their next model at CES please let us know.

Comment

• boe
                                                              • Jul 2004

Time for some news leaks!

OK - now that HD DVD and BR DVD are getting released, I really really really want to buy a new preamp(OK processor!) I'd love to get something I can keep a good 10 years or so.

THe preamp in my bedroom is 15 years old and it is time to give it to my brother. I'd love to get a nice one for the living room(9000es) to replace my existing one to move to the bedroom.

Any new leaks about the successor to the 1068? I heard rumors that Denon is working on their first preamp/processor in ages. If they did, that would be something I would certainly want to look at as well.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Mark1Ace1
                                                                Wow, I am certainly interested in the RVE 1070.

I would say anyone interested in the video processor from Rotel should do research on other exernal video processors which are in the market. The 1070 looks to be miles behind whats in the market...the only good thing thats its going to have is a rotel face plate..unless it has a very low pricepoint.

even Lumagen, DVDO, Cystallio etc Have address issues like customizable output to achieve 1:1 pixal mapping...will the rotel output 1024x 768p @ 60Hz? or 59.94 Hz? How about 1366 x 768p? Doubt it...will it be HDCP compliant? Doubt it. Is it going to have test paterns? Very unlikely. These are all feature available from current video processors in the market, and some of those features have been avaible for a couple of years...the down side of them? No rotel face plate.

Comment

• Clepto
                                                                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                                  I would say anyone interested in the video processor from Rotel should do research on other exernal video processors which are in the market. The 1070 looks to be miles behind whats in the market...the only good thing thats its going to have is a rotel face plate..unless it has a very low pricepoint
                                                                  Keep in minmd that the RVE-1070 has no HDMI Audio support at all. Most of the newest processors allow HDMI for Audio + Video, and will include lip sync delay, etc. I'm surprised they even bothered releasing it, but it's somewhat of a stop gap to allow existing equipment to have some video functionality. The lack of HDMI audio is a deal breaker imo though.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Clepto
                                                                    Keep in minmd that the RVE-1070 has no HDMI Audio support at all. Most of the newest processors allow HDMI for Audio + Video, and will include lip sync delay, etc. I'm surprised they even bothered releasing it, but it's somewhat of a stop gap to allow existing equipment to have some video functionality. The lack of HDMI audio is a deal breaker imo though.

another good point, and I agree...if its priced at anything over $300-$400 its a total waste.

Comment

• eelco74
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2002

I really would like to see:

full bass management (including Sub yes/no/max), per source selectable
                                                                      two selectable component outputs (beamers and plasma)
                                                                      and/or
                                                                      two selectable HDMI outputs (beamer and plasma)
                                                                      Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                                                                      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                                                                      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• boe
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2004

Do you think Rotel has ever seen this thread?

Comment

• boe
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2004

Dolby TrueHD

For some reason I thought DD Plus was full bit rate. I went to their web page and they say that TrueHD is the lossless encoding so I'd like to have the next preamp to support Dolby TrueHD as well as DD Plus.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2002
                                                                            • 4601

With all the costs associated with licensing the new Dolby, DTS, and HDMI formats, the only new bells & whistles we will see are whatever options come standard on the next DSP chip they choose to use.

It's an expensive year for Rotel.

Kevin D.

Comment

• boe
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2004
                                                                              • 197

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Kevin D
                                                                              With all the costs associated with licensing the new Dolby, DTS, and HDMI formats, the only new bells & whistles we will see are whatever options come standard on the next DSP chip they choose to use.

It's an expensive year for Rotel.

Kevin D.
                                                                              I sure hope they get a chip with all the gravy, I'd love to buy a new system and like rotel but I'll probably jump to Denon or someone else who offers those goodies. I've sent a copy of this link to Rotel - hoping they might see what features were more important.

I also decided if wishes were fishes, I sent an e-mail to contactus@denonnj.com asking them if they were going to start making preamp/processors since they tend to include all the bells and whistles while making good sounding units in the bang for the buck category.
                                                                              Last edited by boe; 05 June 2006, 09:32 Monday.

Comment

• boe
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2004
                                                                                • 197

#40
                                                                                Aughhhh! The waiting is starting to takes its toll

Loosing consciousness, must hang on...

I figure it should be out within 6 months - too bad I'm not patient!

Comment

• 2manyremotes
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2006
                                                                                  • 15

#41
                                                                                  Far as I know, true balanced outputs can only be achieved with a 220v service. hence balance. And from what I have been told HDMI has to small of contacts that can get dirty and affect performance. So I prefer componet on Video and coax on digital audio, as there is more errors on optical hence the converter used for signal

Comment

• nash
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2004
                                                                                    • 76

#42
                                                                                    HDMI is a digital transport. It either works or it doesn't - so whoever told you about the dirty contacts was probably trying to sell you a $200 Monster HDMI cable

All digital transmissions have error correction, so even if you miss a few bits here and there for some reason, you still get the full transmission. If your error correction is overwhelmed or there big dropouts, then you will notice either a blank picture or a loss of sound.

Comment

• boe
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2004
                                                                                      • 197

#43
                                                                                      Ces

This may have already been answered but will they have anything new for pre/pro units at CES?

Comment

• shadow 8
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2004
                                                                                        • 153

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by boe
                                                                                        This may have already been answered but will they have anything new for pre/pro units at CES?
                                                                                        Not to my knowledge. We will all be surprised or disappointed at the same time.

Comment

• boe
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2004
                                                                                          • 197

#45
                                                                                          DOOOH- I just checked. While a couple of top Rotel people are going to be there, I don't think they have a booth. That may not mean much but I would guess that means they aren't too close to releasing a new unit. Of course it is just a guess but I would think if my company was about to release something, there would be a booth. Actually, I'm surprised they don't have a booth/room so they could demo their new class d amps.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"