X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george king
    • Dec 2000

Danbry - did the ACIs come?

Danbry,

Well, did they come? are they pretty (and yes that is important)? and how do they sound (in spite of the lack of breakin)?

I am so jealous
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Thanks for asking George. No. Today should be the day though as they left with the local delivery truck shortly before 8:00 this morning. I keep listening and listening for the truck.

I did remove the old speakers and am ready to start setting up, positioning, and breaking in the new ones as soon as they arrive. I'm most anxious to find out about whether there's going to be a problem because of the magnetic shielding issue, but the GR's are always there if I encounter anything I can't work around.

By the way, did you see my post to you at the "New Club" section of HTGuide? It's about the owner of GR Research and his recent encounter with the White Van speakers. No need to go over and look if you've already read it on another board, but I thought it was absolutely hilarious. My wife just cracked up when I had her read what happened. Of course, I was thinking of you the whole time, knowing you'd get a kick out of it too.

I'll keep you posted on the Sapphires. I'll probably run them for at least 2-3 days though before I do any critical listening. I have picked out some CD's to do the before/after breakin evaluation though.

See you later George.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• george king
      • Dec 2000

I just read the your post, and then went to HTF. That is pretty funny. I bet Danny got a big kick out of it.

It is a pain to wait for something. I hope they come and come in one piece.

Have fun

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Got the speakers! :hb

Did a quicky initial callibration and very clumsy initial placement to get the break in period started.

The center channel, at 53 pounds is huge, as advertised. Built a kind of glass shelf above my Mitsubishi to hold it. It is a monster!!!

Turned my surrounds and sub off and set the front three speakers to large during the break in period.

I'll do a fuller review once I get the things broken in.

A couple of things right off the bat:
        1. There is no problem with their not being magnetically shielded.
        2. They are constructed very solidly.
        3. They are beautiful to look at. I was surprised that my wife actually sounded very happy at their appearance.
        4. For bookshelf speakers, they have very nicely defined bass.
        5. They're a lot more power thirsty than my Klipsch Reference were, but that's as expected.
        6. Piano already sounds wonderful.
        7. I doubt highly that I'll be returning them, especially as I've never read anything other than how much smoother and sweeter they sound after break in.

I don't know how to describe it, but some of the instruments, such as the horns on Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man has a smidgeon of glare to the sound, but I feel that is consistent with what I've read about them right out of the box, although my terminology is probably wrong.

I'll post my full review in a few days at the New Clubs/Online Dealers section in a few days, but, George, these are beginning to sound so sweet. Their sound opens up more by the hour.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• george king
          • Dec 2000

Danbry,

Congrats, I am glad they came. I am also glad you like them. If they are anything like my GRs the sound will improve greatly over the break in period.

Pianos sound so real it is spooky, and the mdrange (female vocals) sound natural - Norah Jones SACD has that lush sound that really is her voice live.

Enjoy, and I will be looking forward to your thoughts in the next few days.

You lucky dog.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"