X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Hayes
    • Mar 2003

Question For Danbry

Danbry,

Saw your review of the Denon 1600 dvd player. Are you still using this unit with the 10666/parasound amp combo? It appeared you were extremely impressed. Sorry, know this is the Rotel forum but was not sure where else to contact Danbry on this....
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Mike I've got the same DVD player in my theater and I love it. Audio wise its a big step up from my old player and I actually slightly prefer its DAC's to those in my Rotel 1098. Video wise the review at secrets says it all...its just about perfect for a stand alone player.

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Good morning Mike. Yes, I still really enjoy my Denon. All I've had in house before are Toshibas. It seems to me that most progressive scan players today offer a nice picture. The Denon doesn't have the chroma bug though and to some, that matters. Where the Denon really separates itself is in sound quality. I really enjoy it both with film and DVD-A's. I also find it reads discs better than the Toshibas, which sometimes locked up on certain discs. I do prefer the Denon's picture more than the Toshiba's, but it's just not as much a difference as the sonics part of the equation.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Mike Hayes
        • Mar 2003

Andrew, thanks for the feedback. I ordered a 1600 via Crutchfield and it should be here on Friday. My old Toshiba SD5700 is headed for the bedroom. I did not realize that the DACs would be that good, very encouraging news.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
          • Mar 2003

Danbry, thanks! Sounds like you and I have common ground in terms of the Toshiba. Mine has trouble with some discs and has started locking up completely during some movies. It is also very noisy, I can hear the disc revolving from my listening position across the room during quieter sceens.

Comment

• greggz
            • Jun 2002

If you've got the money, the new Denon 5900 DVD player looks like it will be the Holy Grail of DVD players.

On the plus side its based on a Panasonic engine so its got a great MPEG decoder and the lastest Faroujda DCDi deinterlacer. Dual 12-bit 216 MHz video converters. Independent power supplies for video vs audio. Its got DVI and firewire. Its a DVD-A player and SACD player. Full bass management. Supports Windows Media 9. Its got picture controls to die for (you can actually create your own gamma curve for the player).

The down side... $2,000. Ouch.

Here is a link to a pdf spec sheet on it.

I want one bad, but I just spent all my money on my new amp.

Gregg
            Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Mike Hayes
              • Mar 2003

That is one heckuva player but too much for me at this point. My 1600 should be here Friday

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"