This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Mr_eh, I think you bought the wrong set of speakers. THe 803/2/1/0 would've fit the bill much better. You can't expect a whole lot of a single bass driver, when you really need two or three to get the bass you are wanting. Adding a subwoofer might help, maybe something like a Rel would help out a lot and bring back what you are missing?!!?

I know my DM604 S3s have the perfect amount of bass to me and are to be considered bass heavy by a lot of the B&W people. I think the 803s would've matched up better for you!

On a side not, been listening to Octavarium from Dream Theater for about 4 days now. It's great!!! If you like DT, you'll like the album I think! It definitely sounds good on B&W speakers!!!! :T
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• johan
      • Dec 2004

At least now you know B&W's aren't your cup of tea, there is no such thing as the ultimate speaker for everyone. Personal preferences differ a lot. Anyway it would be interesting to hear what you choose instead and why. Good luck!

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
        • Jan 2005

I am still wondering what most of the surfaces are like in your room. I am in the process of installing over 60 accoustic panels from RPG, and am very excited about what it will sound like. I am changing speaker/amp/pre-pro at the same time, so I won't be able to know exactly what made to most difference. I am going from Rotel Pre/Pro/Amp and B&W 704's to Classe' Pre/Pro/Amp and B&W 803s... I too found my old setup to be a bit harsh and shrill, but I think the panels and equipment upgrade will make a big diffrence (at least I hope for considering the $27,000 USD price tag...

Comment

• akhter
          • Jun 2005

I think I know exactly what mr_m687 is going through. I listen to a lot of rock/metal and the power of the kick drum just isn't there with my N804. My problem is my old setup had a 300w 12" subwoofer and i got used to the punch. With my N804 I have 100w going into it. No matter how good/efficient the speakers are, you won't get the punchy kick-drum sound without either a much more powerful amp or a sub. The mid and the upper-lows sound incredibly tight and detailed. My solution is to look into a subwoofer that can complement these speakers (no easy task)--For that the sub has to be very accurate and fast (i.e. more wattage). I have narrowed it down to a velodyne dd-12. Now I must wait 6months before I can actually make the prices--hopefully prices will go down a bit by then.

Comment

• akhter
            • Jun 2005

mr_m687 the music I used for references:

Eric Claption Live CD
            Metallica - Enter Sandman (openning double bass)
            Aerosmith Hits SACD

The upper-low to top just sound incredible, and I can never go back. An I won't use my old cheap sub, to muddy sound.

Comment

• js24
              • Feb 2005

did you guys see his another thread about the award-winning trouble shooting of the month?

Comment

• Claude D D
                • Jan 2003

mr_m687,I see you use Kimber speaker cable.I used to have 8tc in my system for years and found it to be light on bass once I tried different brands.If you can try to play with some different cable.The demo material you are using is also fairly bass shy.Just for the heck of it try Madonnas Greatest Hits or some Missy Elliot(I know,I know).If the mix contains bass the 804S's can do ok.Placement in the room can have a great effect on the sound.Good luck. :T

Comment

• martino
                  • Aug 2004

How can lack of bass be a problem?...That is what subs do!
                  Anyway Its a little late in this thread but I have approx 25-30 hrs on my 803S's..everything is just smoothing out nicely.

Love em

Martin

Comment

• Claude D D
                    • Jan 2003

Hey Martin,glad to hear you're enjoying your 803S's. I hope to get a pair soon.I actually preffer the sound of the 803S over the 803D + the 803S sound very nice with the gear I have(and plan to get). One of the benefits of working at a A/V store is getting to play with lots of combos and finding your flavor . :T

Comment

• mr_m687
                      • May 2005

Claude,
                      You mentioned you've found great gear to go with the 803S so what do you use? Don't leave us hangin. I'm using Pass Labs Aleph 2's for an amp and am currently looking for a good preamp that is smooth with great bass.

p.s. I use a combination of cables nordost(blue heaven) and audioquest(viper), audioquest (granite speaker biwire)

Comment

• Claude D D
                        • Jan 2003

We don't have any 803S's in the store right now.But we do have the 803D's.Currently they are running off Krell Showcase components(we sold our Krell HTS/TAS/DVD Standard)and soon we will be running a Classe or Halcro rig(it's up to the boss).
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Stockinv
                          • Jan 2005

Volume During Break-in

Can breaking in a speaker be compared to breaking in a car? That is, you shouldn't crank up the music too loud until you get some hours on them, or is this not a problem?

Comment

• Andorian
                            • Jun 2005

didnt read it

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"