X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedarklobster
    • Jul 2003

DIY or send it in

I want to have my firmware upgraded on my Rotel 1066. The dealer I bought it from said they would cover any shipping and handling costs. I've read the intructions on how to download the file and the install process and it seems to be rather simple as long as you follow the directions. However, by doing it myself, do I void any warranty? Also, is there any other upgrades available that Rotel would do at the same time? Has any one shipped their units out? Cost of the upgrade? Thank you!
    Shane
  • thedarklobster
    • Jul 2003

Also, is this "popping noise" I've read about associated with the firmware upgrade? I'm currently not experiencing it and would hate for it to happen after the upgrade.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

TDL,

I've actually performed the upgrade on my Rotel RSP-1066 from v2.22 to the current version 2.25, I purchased the cable from Rotel ($30.00), it requires some computer knowledge to perform the upgrade. With Windows 2K it takes approximately 45 min., however with Windows 98 it takes approximately 5 minutes.

If you have computer prowess, you can perform the upgrade yourself, or perhaps take it to your dealer and let them perform the upgrade for you. You can also exercise the 3rd option and let Rotel perform the upgrade and the BM fix as well, but it leaves you without your 1066.

In reference to the popping with the v 2.25 upgrade, I've had some minor issues, but not as prevelant as some others. Perhaps another forum member can provide further information relative to the upgrade and popping.

Good Luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If all you need is the firmware its very easy to do. The instructions are very clear and you simply need to follow them step by step and it won't be a problem.

That said how old is your 1066? Do you have one that's HD compatible? Is that important to you? Do you plan on using SACD or DVD-A? If you do you might consider sending it in to be upgraded to the HD model and have the BM fix done at the same time.

Comment

• Bill Blank
          • Sep 2002

DAMN!! I forgot about the HD upgrade! I'm not using the 1066 for video-swicthing though so I guess it's not that big a deal.

I sent my 1066 in last week, they got it on Thursday. They'll be updating the firmware and performing the bass-management modification. I was told turnaround time was 1 week or less. Hopefully that's correct as life without the system has seemed like forever.

All I had to pay for was shipping to Rotel ($12 via UPS Ground insured)

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
          Rotel RMB-1075
          Rega Planet 2000
          Denon DVD-2900
          Mitsubishi WS-55411
          Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
          Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
          Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
          Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• thedarklobster
            • Jul 2003

How would I find out if it is an HD model and what are the benefits? I'm not sure if I have read anything about this, but what would they do to it if it wasn't? I believe that I will just send it out to Rotel. I will be moving in the very near future and I will have it disconnected for about 2 weeks anyway. My computer is a little cranky at the moment and I would hate to have an issue with a download or upgrade. I will ask to have the firmware updated, the BM modification, and the HD modification if I currently do not have it. Anything else?
            Thanks everyone!
            Shane

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Shane Rotel upgraded the video bandwidth on the 1055 and 1066 models half way though the model year to allow them to truely pass a full high definition signal. This involved a number of changes which resulted in a new firmware code set...which means that in order to check to see if you have a HD capable unit all you need to do is press and hold the mute button until the firmware shows up on the display on the rotel..if it starts with a "2" you have the HD model if its a "1" you would need to have the upgrade done providing you wanted to pass HD material though the unit. Really for most people the HD fix isn't that important since in most cases you'll want to run the HD signals directly to the display and not though a receiver/pre amp anyway but if you do decide you want that upgraded it will cost $100 plus the shipping.

Comment

• thedarklobster
                • Jul 2003

Thank you! I do have the HD model, however you are correct because i run directly to the display. If I didn't have it, it would not be that big of a deal.
                Thanks, Shane

Comment

• Bill Blank
                  • Sep 2002

Andrew,

Is it only the HD upgrade that costs $100?? If so it's REALLY not worth it.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
                  Rotel RMB-1075
                  Rega Planet 2000
                  Denon DVD-2900
                  Mitsubishi WS-55411
                  Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
                  Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
                  Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
                  Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Yes the HD upgrade's about $100 I think the firmware and BM are free if you pay shipping.

Comment

• thedarklobster
                      • Jul 2003

Andrew,
                      Are you aware of any of the "popping sounds" that have been associated with the firmware upgrade? Or is this a problem that only certain owners are experiencing?
                      Thanks,
                      Shane 8O

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

No the firmware's haven't fixed or caused pops that I know of.

Comment

• Tha Freak
                          • Jul 2003

I just bought 3 weeks ago a RSX-1055 (and I love it…and the new remote model too) and I was wondering if it has been updated, or I will have to get it updated?

And Bass Management (BM) applies only for multi channel audio (SACD and DVD-A) ? or is it also useful for the DD and DTS applications??

I'm new to this!!

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
                          -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                          - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

The way to check which version of software you have is to press mute on your remote and hold it down until the version comes up on the display. You can then go to the Frequantly Asked Questions at the top of the Club Rotel board and check out whether your firmware is the latest or not.

As for the resistor fix, if I recall correctly, Rotel doesn't ship them out this way. If that's the case, you have to either ship it back to Rotel for the fix (which they perform for free) or carefully do it yourself.

You don't need to worry about DD or DTS. If you have the latest firmware installed, the only concern is multi channel.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to HTGuide. ;b>'>

Feel free to drop by any time to share, ask, or just browse. Check out the other boards too. The more the merrier.

Keith
                            Keith

Comment

• Tha Freak
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Danbry39
                              As for the resistor fix, if I recall correctly, Rotel doesn't ship them out this way. If that's the case, you have to either ship it back to Rotel for the fix (which they perform for free) or carefully do it yourself.
                              What is the resistor fix? is it for HD capability? (I'm not into HD yet)

and thanks for the welcome...

- - - - - - - - - -

-Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                              - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Danbry39
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2002

I haven't yet done it myself, but, due to complaints about double-bass with the 1055 receiver and 1066 pre-pro, Rotel suggested a fix which entails cutting the lines to two resistors in the unit. I'll find Andrew's link and post it here for you shortly.

Keith

Keith
                                Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

Click here to link you to Andrew's thread on how to do it. Be advised though that there's no real point in doing it unless you do DVD-A or SACD.

Keith
                                  Keith

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"