• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

HDMI 1.4 Upgrade Kit

Pricing:

For North American (Canada/US) customers who purchased an SSP shipped from Classé prior to September 15, 2010, the upgrade kit is being offered for a $1500 upgrade price.

For North American (Canada/US) customers who purchase/purchased an SSP shipped from Classé on or after September 15, 2010, the upgrade kit is being offered for the $500 difference in retail price.

Availability:

The kit will not be available until December (earliest), but since the price is known dealers could be taking orders. There is no reason for anyone to wait to purchase an SSP. Anyone who doesn’t need the 5th HDMI input or 3D can save themselves $500. Foregoing the upgrade shouldn't entail any unusual obsolescence risk.

Export Markets:

Export pricing will vary by market so consumers should check with their local distributor. Availability is usually 4-8 weeks after North America as units and kits make their way through the supply chain.

Intended Audience:

Are there any technical data/specification sheets available at this time or sometime soon?
    • No. However, in addition to the public announcement, the technical points are that it supports all the mandatory 3D formats up to resolutions of 1080p/24, includes ARC (Audio Return Channel) and HEC (HDMI Ethernet Channel).

Any performance enhancements, like switching speeds, to speak of?
    • Switching speed is faster but Classé doesn't have a way to quantify it. It will depend on what’s connected, but for the players and displays in their lab, it looks to average at least twice as fast.

Will the new board support "stand-by pass-through"?
    • This feature was not in the specification for the board (meaning their requirements for engineering) because it is not often called for. It is technically possible to offer, but since it was not in the original specification for either the HDMI 1.3 board or the HDMI 1.4 board, Classé is not sure whether it’s worth prioritizing. TBD...

Will FULL support (fixes, improvements and added enhancements) for the SSP-800 and CT-SSP continue for legacy HDMI 1.3 board owners once the new HDMI 1.4 board is released?
    • Yes, as long as it is possible/makes sense. In other words, if Classé came up with something like a new feature that could only be done with the new video board, then that would obviously limit the feature to those with the new video board. At the moment, Classé doesn't have any idea what that might be so as far as they can tell now, the answer is a qualified yes to full support.

Will the new board be field installable by the end-user?
    • Classé's official position is that the new board is field installable by the dealer. This is so that if the person doing the install messes up the dealer will be made responsible and not the consumer. If the consumer elects to perform the install themselves then they assume all of the responsibility and consequences that goes along with it. If the consumer is not 100% sure they have the skills necessary to do the upgrade then they need to defer the job to the dealer.

Will the new board require a firmware update?
    • Yes, several things change in the way the video board communicates with the audio board, so the update includes both hardware and software.

What is the size of the new board?
    • It is the same width (across the back panel) but it’s a little more than an inch less deep (front to back inside the chassis).

Will a new faceplate accompany the board?
    • Faceplate and model number remain the same. A new back plate accompanies the upgrade kit. One will notice that the video I/O has its own back panel section, so one needn't replace the entire back panel.

How was pricing determined?
    • It’s a pretty simple retail calculation for the price. The old board represented about $3,000 of the unit’s price and the new board is about $3,500, which explains the $500 price increase. Classé is simply selling the board along at their cost, which is how they arrived at $1,500. Keep in mind that it is no simple pass-through switch. It’s an extremely sophisticated multi-layer PCB with a new FPGA that can overlay OSD on 3D video and render preview screens. It also has to convert analog video to digital, repackage HDMI signals for transmission (dual outputs add to the cost) and deal with HDMI audio which ultimately gets routed down to the audio DSP board.

Will the old board need to be returned?
    • Yes, the old board will need to be returned for credit.

Is there an expiration or limited time offer to upgrade to the new board?
    • There will be some practical time limit, but Classé hasn't set it yet. They will probably offer the upgrade as long as this model is current in the lineup.

When can we expect some photos of the new board (installed and uninstalled)?
    • Photos of the board both in and out of the chassis will be forth coming next week.

EDIT: Photos now available. See top of the thread.
    Last edited by RebelMan; 30 October 2010, 14:46 Saturday.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Added note on field installation.

Comment

• MikeyH
      • Aug 2008

Thanks for the info Rebelman. Also could you do the upgrade board yourself or the dealer has to do it?

Mike

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
        Will FULL support (fixes, improvements and added enhancements) for the SSP-800 and CT-SSP continue for legacy HDMI 1.3 board owners once the new HDMI 1.4 board is released?

Yes, as long as it is possible/makes sense. In other words, if Classé came up with something like a new feature that could only be done with the new video board, then that would obviously limit the feature to those with the new video board. At the moment, Classé doesn't have any idea what that might be so as far as they can tell now, the answer is a qualified yes to full support.
        When can we get Dolby Volume and Dolby IIx Tom says you spoke with Dave and you have the answer?
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
          When can we get Dolby Volume and Dolby IIx Tom says you spoke with Dave and you have the answer?
          I am formatting the content for the remaining posts regarding the CP-800 and SSPs. The information you seek will be included in there.

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Must admit that I am surprised about the statement that stand by pass through is not often required. To me, it is absolutly a must have and for those companies offering it now, it is one of the things that alwayes gets a lot Of praise.
            So lets put pressure on Classe to provide us with that feature.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aarsoe
              So lets put pressure on Classe to provide us with that feature.
              I don't think that will be necessary.

Comment

• Gump
                • Sep 2005

[QUOTE=RebelMan]

Pricing:

For North American customers who purchased an SSP shipped from Classé prior to September 15, 2010, the upgrade kit is being offered for a $1500 upgrade price.

For North American customers who purchase/purchased an SSP shipped from Classé on or after September 15, 2010, the upgrade kit is being offered for the $500 difference in retail price.

I think it's very cool that Classe' is even offering this upgrade to the current SSP-800 owners. Anyone that has dabbled in this "hobby" for any length of time has probably been the victim of modern technology's warp speed evolution. There are few things as frustrating as investing a substantial amount of hard earned money in a "state of the art" piece of electronics only to find out several months later that it is outdated. Most other Home Theater manufacturers would tell you "Too bad, so sad..." and recommend their latest and greatest product.

Major kudos to Classe' for taking care of their loyal customers in this way.

The 3D gimmick doesn't really make my teapot whistle, but it seems like the powers that be are going to force it down our throats one way or another. I'll probably upgrade just to keep my 800 on the "cutting edge" reference 1.4 HDMI.

I did the Dual DSP upgrade myself and it wasn't extremely challenging. The instructions that Classe' provided were very detailed. If this upgrade is on a similar level then I'll probably take a crack at it myself. The $500 tag sounds a lot better than the $1,500 one though... :E

Nice work as always James. 8)

Has Classe' mentioned if this upgrade offer is open ended or is there an expiration time on it?

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

[QUOTE=Gump]

Pricing: For North American customers who purchased an SSP shipped from Classé prior to September 15, 2010, the upgrade kit is being offered for a $1500 upgrade price.

For North American customers who purchase/purchased an SSP shipped from Classé on or after September 15, 2010, the upgrade kit is being offered for the $500 difference in retail price.

Has Classe' mentioned if this upgrade offer is open ended or is there an expiration time on it?
                  $1500 for an upgrade to HDMi 1.4 that is extremely excessive especially when they offer the one at $500.

One could buy the Marantz SR 7005 for $1599 or AV7005 pre-pro for $1500. I'm looking forward to the release of this unit, which is currently scheduled for October 2010. This one is on my shortlist and will likely be a purchase for me when it releases.

I like the minimalist styling!

Shop the Marantz™ official site. Founded by legendary acoustic expert Saul Marantz. Discover exceptional AV with our receivers, amplifiers, & more.

Marantz AV7005 Product Page

Preorders are starting to appear (Added 10/09/10)
                  Features (Source: Marantz.com Updated 09/16/10):
                  • Newly designed clean front panel with a porthole 2nd display
                  • Balanced(XLR) and Unbalanced(RCA) both 7.2 channel Pre Outputs
                  • Current Feedback topology featuring marantz HDAM circuits for Pre-amplifier
                  • Support HDMI ver.1.4a 3D, ARC and Content type, 6 Inputs(Front 1), 2 Outputs
                  • Support HDMI CEC, Deep Color, x.v.Color, Auto Lip Sync and Standby Pass Through (Last or selected one in menu)
                  • Front USB input for iPod/iPhone Digital connection (Audio) or USB Memory (Audio/Photo)
                  • Ethernet port for Audio/Photo streaming (Support DLNA1.5, Windows 7)
                  • Internet Radio through vTuner UI
                  • Streaming service capability: Rhapsody/Napster/Pandora/flickr
                  • Dolby TrueHD, Digital Plus, Prologic IIz, IIx, II, Virtual Speaker, Headphone
                  • dts-HD Master Audio, High Resolution Audio, ES Discete6.1, Matrix6.1, Neo:6, 96/24, Express, Neural Surround
                  • Audyssey DSX, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ
                  • Audyssey MultEQ XT Auto Calibration
                  • Audyssey MultEQ Pro for Custom Installation
                  • Bluetooth Wireless Audio Transmission Capability with option RX101
                  • Composite/Component to HDMI scaling up to 1080p
                  • HDMI to HDMI scaling
                  • Composite to Component Analog up conversion
                  • New color GUI On Screen Display
                  • OSD overlay on HDMI output
                  • Assignable HDMI, Component inputs
                  • Anchor Bay 10-bit Video Processing/Scaling
                  • M-DAX 2 (Improved Algorithm, Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander ver.2)
                  • Dot Matrix x2 lines rich info. display in the front door
                  • Input Rename, Skip, Level control
                  • Selectable various volume setup: Power on, Limit and Mute level
                  • 8 x7 groups, total 56 Tuner Preset
                  • HD Radio
                  • Sirius ready
                  • Phono (MM) input
                  • Shileded Large EI Transfomer
                  • Zone2 Audio Pre outputs, Component/Composite Video output
                  • Zone3 Audio Pre outputs
                  • I/P Control
                  • RS-232C for Custom Installation
                  • Flasher In
                  • DC Trigger Out x2
                  • marantz D-Bus(RC-5) In/Out
                  • External IR Receiver Capability with option RX101
                  • Detachable Power Code (IEC320 2pin type)
                  • Backlight, LCD, Learning and Precode System Remote Controller
                  • Available Option Rack Mount Kit RMK8003AV
                  First Look at the AV7005 (Source: Audioholics.com):

Or you could buy the Pre/pro for $1500

First front and rear-panel and remote pics from the Marantz AV7005 Product Page, and also the manual has been posted.

Marantz AV7005 Manual

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

[QUOTE=Gump]
                    Nice work as always James. 8)

Thanks Gump, nice to see you chime in. Classe' has not indicated one way or the other, then again I didn't ask point blank. I will though. But I suspect it will be available for as long as the board is being manufactured for the current SSPs. What won't remain static, I am afraid, will be the cost. I have no need for 3D at this time either but I do have other very important requests. If it turns out those requests can only be fulfilled with the new board installed then I am going to make the jump. Either way you look at it, it's a win-win for all. :T

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Wettou, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but couldnt you just have provided a couple of links?
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

[QUOTE=RebelMan]
                        Originally posted by Gump
                        Either way you look at it, it's a win-win for all. :T
                        A win for Classé and the dealer at $1500 that is way too much money. Why not offer it to all for $500 :T

Comment

• Srrndhound
                          • Sep 2008

[QUOTE=wettou]
                          A win for Classé and the dealer at $1500 that is way too much money. Why not offer it to all for $500 :T
                          They would lose $1000 per unit. Classe is not a charity, it's a business. I'd rather they did not go the way of Tag.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

[QUOTE=Srrndhound]
                            They would lose $1000 per unit. Classe is not a charity, it's a business. I'd rather they did not go the way of Tag.
                            Come on, please

if you look at Marantz and their new pre/pro it cost the same as a board!!! Give me a break!!!

I am all for businesses to make money but this is a bit obnoxious. Plus they are offering it as a $500 upgrade to some customers why not all :E

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

[QUOTE=wettou]
                              Originally posted by Srrndhound
                              I am all for businesses to make money but this is a bit obnoxious. Plus they are offering it as a $500 upgrade to some customers why not all :E
                              If the alternative were true, no upgradable option, then I think you would have more credible reason to complain. I don't think Classe' is going to try and force our hand one way or the other. The majority of current owners don't really need the new board and they know that. They are not expecting many to upgrade anyway especially if they don't have too. They are just keeping the product relevant with the times and giving you the option to do the same.

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

[QUOTE=RebelMan]
                                If the alternative were true, no upgradable option, then I think you would have more credible reason to complain. I don't think Classe' is going to try and force our hand one way or the other. The majority of current owners don't really need the new board and they know that. They are not expecting many to upgrade anyway especially if they don't have too. They are just keeping the product relevant with the times and giving you the option to do the same.
                                Yes that is nice and greatly appreciated, ;x( never the less all customers should be treated equal and have one price $500. Also, I hope that for those of us who are not planning to upgrade to HDMi 1.4 that Classé will continue supporting the software!!

Hopefully one day we will see Dolby Volume, but from what you said it might not be until 2011, hopefully 1Q and not Q4!!!!

Having been in retail business for many years, I always have problems paying full retail, especially knowing dealer margins (40 to 50 points) and cost of goods. I understand everyone needs to make money but the reason China and Asia have been so successful is that they have been a lot more competitive and understand what it means to offer good price/value.

Unfortunately, Europe and North America have lost that. I guess I am not big on Luxury Brands which charge over 200 to 300% for the same product Louis Vuitton any one :W

Comment

• RebelMan
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Yes that is nice and greatly appreciated, ;x( never the less all customers should be treated equal and have one price $500. Also, I hope that for those of us who are not planning to upgrade to HDMi 1.4 that Classé will continue supporting the software!!
                                  Classe' has to draw the line somewhere. Had they announced the upgrade and not give the potential new customer an option to upgrade for $500 what do you think they would do? They would wait and that hurts business. And for those that don't (think they) need the upgrade, then they can get the processor now before the price increases to $9500 and save $500. Either way it is fair to all. The only people that might have an argument are those that paid the $9000 sticker before September 15th. To them I would say, you should have been an early adopter! :B

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

I'm just glad Classe is not forgetting about us early adopters!

Speaking of which, I still have not done the dual board upgrade. Am I missing out on any sound improvements?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Because of the SSP's advanced jitter rejection capability there is virtually no loss of audio quality and what difference there is (on paper) is audibly indistinguishable in practice.

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

To them I would say, you should have been an early adopter! :B
                                        Some of us don't pay sticker price :rofl:

Comment

• aarsoe
                                          • May 2004

Guys - unless you're on the payrole Of Classe I have no clue why everything Classe does is perfectly understandable.
                                          I have an ever tougher time understanding why Classe seem's to have a spokesperson with no affiliation to them. That basicly means that they can say and do anything without ever having to live up to it.
                                          How can someone explain the reasoning behind any actions without working there?
                                          I own several Classe products and just added the ssp-800 to my collection and seriouslly I am getting the feeling that I got screwed..
                                          Two years after initial release the product is still riddled with flaws that would not have been accepted anywhere else - but since this is Classe then we wait and argue in their favor - again based on what others say and not an official comments from the company.
                                          Not pointing fingers - but quite a lot Of companies these days have people on their payrole writing on boards like this. Don't think that is what is happening here, but please apply the same expectations as you would do to any other electronic item costing 9-10.000 usd..

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Classe' has no spokesperson present on these boards and when direct representatives have been invited to speak on behalf of the company they declined. Classe' feels that their presence here would discourage or suppress people from discussing their likes and/or dislikes with the company's products and/or services in an open and unrestricted manner.

These boards are also a catalyst to inform and help enthusiasts, consumers and/or potential consumers understand the who, what, when, where and why going on in the world of Classe' and their products. To deliver this type of content sometimes requires individuals with the interest and tenacity to buildup relationships with key people of the organization. It takes diligence, time and most important trust to do that. If you have to put a label on it then I suppose you could say that there are some well informed enthusiasts here, but that's where it begins and that's where it ends.

No product is perfect and yes there have been lots of issues, lots of them, but things have gotten better. It's not uncommon for high-end companies to experience technical hardships. That doesn't mean Classe' is justified when it happens that things don't go well or as planned. Sometimes things go well and other times it doesn't. It's how Classe' handles the situation when things don't go well that puts them in the vaulted category of a world class company. From my experience they have set the gold standard in this regard. Classe's commitment to do the right thing and follow through with it separates them from the pack. So why do you feel like you have been screwed?

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                              • Sep 2008

Come on, please

if you look at Marantz and their new pre/pro it cost the same as a board!!! Give me a break!!!
                                              Alright, take 10 minutes. Use it to think of reasons why comparing a Classe to a Marantz is relevant.

Time's up. That was a trick question. It's not actually relevant after all. :B
                                              Because these are two distinctly different groups of customers: pre 1.4 announcement, and post 1.4 announcement.

They announced the new board on Sept 15. They are making it possible for people who have heard of the 1.4 capability to buy the unit now rather than waiting for ones to ship with it installed in December (or whenever). They get to enjoy the unit now, to upgrade it for the same cost as if they had waited, and Classe gets to sell the unit now, rather than stalling sales for three months.

OTOH, no one prior to the announcement was ever promised HDMI 1.4 support, so they get an alternative upgrade option.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                • Sep 2008

Two years after initial release the product is still riddled with flaws that would not have been accepted anywhere else
                                                Just curious, are you having problems with your unit?

By no stretch would I describe 2.0.4 as being riddled with problems, but then again we may have different definitions of riddled. A year ago, now that was a different story.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                  • Jun 2009

Guys - unless you're on the payrole Of Classe I have no clue why everything Classe does is perfectly understandable.
                                                  I have an ever tougher time understanding why Classe seem's to have a spokesperson with no affiliation to them. That basicly means that they can say and do anything without ever having to live up to it.
                                                  I own several Classe products and just added the ssp-800 to my collection and seriouslly I am getting the feeling that I got screwed..
                                                  Two years after initial release the product is still riddled with flaws that would not have been accepted anywhere else - but since this is Classe then we wait and argue in their favor - again based on what others say and not an official comments from the company.
                                                  Not pointing fingers - but quite a lot Of companies these days have people on their payrole writing on boards like this. Don't think that is what is happening here, but please apply the same expectations as you would do to any other electronic item costing 9-10.000 usd..
                                                  Software mustbe tested and work. I'm a software engineer. Its not that hard. Of course there will always be some unforseen bugs, but several years of bugs points to a very sloppy development process. I once programmed a suite of phone company software, and we had 7 bugs in test and one in production. Combined bugfixing time, 3 days. The things described in there threads are amateurish.
                                                  B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• mjb
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

I really do agree with aarsoe and skyblue, and I don't understand why the same people perpetually and unreservedly try to justify Classe and their actions. The SSP-800 is not perfect software wise, and the HDMI board is a rip off for their loyal customers. The dual DSP board was FREE, why can’t the HDMI board be at least sold at cost?

Considering the ssp-800 is supposed to be their best selling processor ever, you'd think they'd be a bit more enthusiastic to quash the bugs, but they won't even fix the LED brightness issue - how hard can that be?

A firmware update every six months, which has always introduced new bugs, is not my idea of good support. A $1500 HDMI 1.4 upgrade, so that my 10k processor can just pass 3D, isn't either. I have a lot of money invested in classe, and they will lose me as a customer if this fun continues.
                                                    - Mike

Main System:
                                                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2003

While I am sympathetic to your issues, I have not had any issues in my system since I first got my unit, which ended up being a hardware issue and my ssp had to be replaced.
                                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

I could not agree more, REBELMAN the great spokesperson for Classé. Still has not published his review 8O

Classé even told me oh wait Dave N spoke with RebelMan and he will post it on the HTGuide site!!!!!

Sounds to me that there is serious BS going on. If you ever criticize Classé on this thread whether or not you are justified you are seen as a pariah

I agree paying that kind on $$$ software issues should be addressed in a timely fashion. I wished OppoDigital had a preamp I would ditch all these so called HiFi brands in a heart bit.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mjb
                                                          I really do agree with aarsoe and skyblue, and I don't understand why the same people perpetually and unreservedly try to justify Classe and their actions. The SSP-800 is not perfect software wise, and the HDMI board is a rip off for their loyal customers. The dual DSP board was FREE, why can’t the HDMI board be at least sold at cost?

Considering the ssp-800 is supposed to be their best selling processor ever, you'd think they'd be a bit more enthusiastic to quash the bugs, but they won't even fix the LED brightness issue - how hard can that be?
                                                          I have a software engineering degree as well and I can tell you first hand NO, NONE, NADA, ZERO, ZILCH complex software is 100% bug free. It takes time to work the kinks out. Many if not most companies spend years getting their code to work just right. The problems that remain are not product show stoppers so let's not make the situation sound worse than it really is. As long as Classe' continues to address the issues and doesn't leave customers hanging then that is all you can reasonably ask and expect of them.

A firmware update every six months, which has always introduced new bugs, is not my idea of good support. A $1500 HDMI 1.4 upgrade, so that my 10k processor can just pass 3D, isn't either. I have a lot of money invested in classe, and they will lose me as a customer if this fun continues.
                                                          I am curious to know, aside from the LED issue, which is minor, how have the bugs (of the latest code release) impaired your enjoyment of the product?

If you find value in 3D and need that capability Classe' affords you that option with an upgrade. The new board was never part of the original specification and you bought the processor under these conditions. You are not due any special entitlements just for becoming an SSP owner.

How would it be any different than someone that bought a standard television less than a year ago and now wants 3D? They wouldn't be any more entitled to special treatment for upgrades either. It doesn't work that way. You don't get something for nothing but that's what people unreasonable expect. I would rather the new board not be $1500 too but I would much rather have the option than to have none at all. People need to be a little more realistic with their expectations.

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

Classe' has no spokesperson present on these boards and when direct representatives have been invited to speak on behalf of the company they declined. ....... It's how Classe' handles the situation when things don't go well that puts them in the vaulted category of a world class company. From my experience they have set the gold standard in this regard. Classe's commitment to do the right thing and follow through with it separates them from the pack. So why do you feel like you have been screwed?
                                                            Sorry I don't think that they have been very responsive in solving software issues!!!!!!

I am starting to think Anthem!!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

I could not agree more, REBELMAN the great spokesperson for Classé.
                                                              I speak on my own behalf.

Classé even told me oh wait Dave N spoke with RebelMan and he will post it on the HTGuide site!!!!!
                                                              You got your answer and in a timely fashion no?

Sounds to me that there is serious BS going on. If you ever criticize Classé on this thread whether or not you are justified you are seen as a pariah
                                                              No BS, criticisms are welcome, emotional tirades are not.

I agree paying that kind on $$$ software issues should be addressed in a timely fashion. I wished OppoDigital had a preamp I would ditch all these so called HiFi brands in a heart bit.
                                                              Oppo has/had quality issues too. :roll:

Classe' want's their customer's to be happy and they will do what they can to the best of their ability to ensure that but as anyone in the business of having customers knows you can't please them all. Unfortunately, they will have to look elsewhere.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

Sorry I don't think that they have been very responsive in solving software issues!!!!!!

I am starting to think Anthem!!
                                                                That is your choice. Good luck!

("Out of the firing pan and into the fire." Things that make you go hmm...)

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                  • May 2004

In my mind, any company that states any fault as minor and therefore don't fix it, has it's priorities wrong.
                                                                  You could argue that the super bright LED is a minor thing - but to me what should seperate a company like Classe from anybody else is the attention to details. Not telling me that all the issues I have, nomatter how big or small, is Of no consequence and therefore I am just a hysterical customer I assume this should be fixed two years after the product was released.
                                                                  What happens if the errors are never fixed? I should then assume that it will be better next time?

Read a Post from Rebelman on another forum where another user was told that he should have expected this level of quality based on the previous history of issues with the Delta players..
                                                                  That really made me think about being screwed by people who don't seem to care about their customers...

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

Classe' is aware of the issues that I presented to them but no mention of expectations was ever issued in that post. What was stated was that Classe' should not abandon their responsibilities and ensure continued product support of the SSP for legacy owners as new hardware is introduced. My past experiences, which I discussed, gives me cautious optimism that they will in fact do that but I also understand that they are not infallible so my expectations that this will hold true are properly placed. There are trade-offs in everything we do and only you can put a measure to what those are for you and your needs. To me the pros (sound quality) outweigh the cons (issues/features). Perhaps you see it differently.

aarsoe, if I may, I believe your frustrations to setup and configure your SSP which lie outside the scope of the product itself and the technical support that Classe' offers are influencing your better judgment. I suspect if you had a better go at that we wouldn't be having these discussions. I can understand why those things might make you unhappy but those things have little to do with Classe' and more to do with your dealer I am afraid to say.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Oppo has/had quality issues too. :roll:
                                                                      Yes and they take care of it right away, my player was out of warranty and had loader problem, they paid for shipping and the repair and all that happen in three days!!! I paid $499 for an Oppo Player Classé charge twenty times that and yet doesn';t have that same sense of urgency unfortunately. Also I don't appreciate being told, oh "one of our customer will let you know"!!!!!!

Classe' want's their customer's to be happy and they will do what they can to the best of their ability to ensure that but as anyone in the business of having customers knows you can't please them all. Unfortunately, they will have to look elsewhere.
                                                                      Agreed and I am happy at 90% the last 10% is very irritating and should be fixed. When one buys a commodity product one cannot expect concierge service but one pays a premium for a luxury brand one expects to be treated as such.

Also what about that great review you had mentioned about, I guess it is not stellar so you don't want any bad press for Classé. Companies need to be kept honest, look waht happens when every one drinks the same coolaid, Financial Crisis any one?

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2009

The "attention to detail" statement rings very true to me. That is what separates the excellent from the merely good.

While its true that no piece of software is ever bugfree, not even mine, then you CAN measure the quality of the development team by how fast they fix bugs once they are identified.

I have worked in large software projects, where everything that didnt crash the system or made in unusable was ignored. Thats produces software on budget and on time, but everybody hates it.

The bright LED is such an issue. It matters not to the operation of the system, but its a test as to whether the developers care about their customers or whether they just sell their stuff an then ignore them.

Another example: My windows vista crashed hard a couple of years ago. I could not access my files on my win drive, which, while a pain, wasnt the end of the world and a reinstall would fix things. Nevertheless there was some recent work that I would like to recover, so I called Microsoft for help. After all, I had payed $200 for this software, and now it didn't work. Microsoft assigned a technician to help me, and he spend most of an entire week discussing and suggesting different solutions before we gave up and had to reinstall. Now that is dedication to customers.

What any company should do, and Classé in particular, is to monitor relevant forums and interact with satisfied and unsatisfied customers. Back in the day, an unsatisfied customer would tell his 10-50 best friends. Now, everybody reads about it on the internet.

Ideally, Classé should have contacted aarsoe, either privately or on the board, and inquired what the error is and why it bothers him so much. I bet fixing it would take 5 mins, and with unittest and specs and a possible menu, probably cost full day of work. Having customers who do not feel left in a ditch, is however priceless.

As for the 3D board, I also think it sounds really strange with $1500 for a passthrough board. As pointed out, other manufacturers can sell entire units with that function for less, and they also includes dacs, hd codecs, fully functional rooom correction. I bet they don't sound as sweet, but with a denon your update happens through the ethernet cable, and it works.
                                                                        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2009

Also I don't appreciate being told, oh "one of our customer will let you know"!!!!!!
                                                                          The truth. Nothing wrong with Rebelman comming with information, however, if customers report a bug or criticize units, really it should be classe answering back. Please tell them that. And tell them to get an "internet customer service strategy", as apparently a big number of bits have zoomed right by their heads without them noticing Join the 90's for petes sake.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

Yes and they take care of it right away, my player was out of warranty and had loader problem, they paid for shipping and the repair and all that happen in three days!!! I paid $499 for an Oppo Player Classé charge twenty times that and yet doesn';t have that same sense of urgency unfortunately. Also I don't appreciate being told, oh "one of our customer will let you know"!!!!!!
                                                                            Oh brother, I think you just like to be argumentative. :roll:

Agreed and I am happy at 90% the last 10% is very irritating and should be fixed. When one buys a commodity product one cannot expect concierge service but one pays a premium for a luxury brand one expects to be treated as such.
                                                                            Some people are never satisfied. :cry:

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Skyblue
                                                                              The truth. Nothing wrong with Rebelman comming with information, however, if customers report a bug or criticize units, really it should be classe answering back. Please tell them that. .
                                                                              I did but it seams to be falling on deaf ears

And tell them to get an "internet customer service strategy", as apparently a big number of bits have zoomed right by their heads without them noticing Join the 90's for petes sake.
                                                                              Well they need to charge more for that :B

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

#40
                                                                                Oh brother, I think you just like to be argumentative. :roll:
                                                                                Some people are never satisfied. :cry:
                                                                                I am satisfied when things work the way they are supposed to, I love my Oppo, my B&W they delivers day in day out. I have owned B&W for 20 years and never a single problem I am happy and keep buying their products:T

A dealer had warned me about quality issues with Classé I should have listened

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2004
                                                                                  • 795

#41
                                                                                  I would agree on my dealer could be better in their product knollegde when it comes to Classe, but as far as I am aware they are not responsible for poor hdmi implementation, led issues, lack noise generator for the sub, etc, etc..
                                                                                  I am not horrified about pruducts having some issues from the beginning, when they are announnced (as long as we are not talking about airplanes, cars and other things in that category) but announcing a half baked Product and not really do much about the issues is border lining a class Action suit when some Of them have been known for so long.
                                                                                  But I am sure my points will be dismissed.. Just wished someone officially from Classe would do it, instead Of hiding behind someone else..

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3139

#42
                                                                                    While its true that no piece of software is ever bugfree, not even mine, then you CAN measure the quality of the development team by how fast they fix bugs once they are identified.

I have worked in large software projects, where everything that didnt crash the system or made in unusable was ignored. Thats produces software on budget and on time, but everybody hates it.

Another example: My windows vista crashed hard a couple of years ago. I could not access my files on my win drive, which, while a pain, wasnt the end of the world and a reinstall would fix things. Nevertheless there was some recent work that I would like to recover, so I called Microsoft for help. After all, I had payed $200 for this software, and now it didn't work. Microsoft assigned a technician to help me, and he spend most of an entire week discussing and suggesting different solutions before we gave up and had to reinstall. Now that is dedication to customers.
                                                                                    Did you recover the work? If not then I would say that was an ineffective use of resources and your problem still remains. Other than a little hand holding how was the service beneficial if you didn't recover your work? See the point?

What any company should do, and Classé in particular, is to monitor relevant forums and interact with satisfied and unsatisfied customers. Back in the day, an unsatisfied customer would tell his 10-50 best friends. Now, everybody reads about it on the internet.
                                                                                    Every company has their way of doing things. Again no one is perfect.

Ideally, Classé should have contacted aarsoe, either privately or on the board, and inquired what the error is and why it bothers him so much. I bet fixing it would take 5 mins, and with unittest and specs and a possible menu, probably cost full day of work. Having customers who do not feel left in a ditch, is however priceless.

The bright LED is such an issue. It matters not to the operation of the system, but its a test as to whether the developers care about their customers or whether they just sell their stuff an then ignore them.
                                                                                    When you buy a car is the manufacture expected to help you drive it? No. They are expected to ensure that it works. Not everything does though and when it doesn't then they should fix them. Each (car) manufacture has to prioritize their responsibilities. Those priorities may not align with yours. That's just how it is sometimes. A non-working LED may be a big deal to a few people but not to the majority. That's doesn't make it right or wrong. Resources are put where the greatest needs come first. You have a need but your need isn't as important as others. Doctor anyone?

As for the 3D board, I also think it sounds really strange with $1500 for a passthrough board. As pointed out, other manufacturers can sell entire units with that function for less, and they also includes dacs, hd codecs, fully functional rooom correction. I bet they don't sound as sweet, but with a denon your update happens through the ethernet cable, and it works.
                                                                                    True, and... what's your point?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

#43
                                                                                      I would agree on my dealer could be better in their product knollegde when it comes to Classe, but as far as I am aware they are not responsible for poor hdmi implementation, led issues, lack noise generator for the sub, etc, etc..
                                                                                      I am not horrified about pruducts having some issues from the beginning, when they are announnced (as long as we are not talking about airplanes, cars and other things in that category) but announcing a half baked Product and not really do much about the issues is border lining a class Action suit when some Of them have been known for so long.
                                                                                      But I am sure my points will be dismissed.. Just wished someone officially from Classe would do it, instead Of hiding behind someone else..
                                                                                      A case of sour grapes. Hopefully, you are still within your grace period to return the product. If not then sell it to someone else who will take pleasure in it more than you do/can.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 3139

#44
                                                                                        A dealer had warned me about quality issues with Classé I should have listened
                                                                                        Why not sell it then?

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 1676

#45
                                                                                          I don't blame customers for being frustrated over system glitches, as I know I'm tired of buying products that were rushed to market before being ready for retail sale. I think there are too many companies treating their customers like field testers, particularly for products that are as expensive as the SSP-800.

I also think Classe is short of qualified software engineers, and should start outsourcing their work to countries like India, or wherever they can get the support needed to correct the types of issues that have been discussed.

But, as one of their customers, I really appreciate the help they have provided me over the past several years for a number of needs that I have had. Plus, I am able to call or email the same customer service rep who has been helping me right along during that entire time. Try getting that type of personalized service with most of the other companies, whether producing consumer electronics or anything else for that matter.

I don't think anyone can say that Classe is perfect, but I do feel that they understand the importance of customer service, and they have always treated me like my business is important to them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"