X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

B&K Ref 50

I see that there isn't much activity here so I thought I'd throw this out there and see if may be some different readers have some opinions to offer. I posted a similar thread on the general HT forum prior to doing as much research. I've read in previous posts about the issues with the popping and clicking. My dealer explained it to me and showed me exactly what happens via one of B&Ks better receivers. They don't have a Ref 50 set up in their showroom so it had to do. It can be annoying, but I think I could live with it. I am new to separates as I am currently running an Onkyo TX-SR800. I just purchased a Rotel 1075 yesterday to power my Paradigm Studio 60s, CC-470 and ADP-470s which is a huge improvement. My Onkyo is now functioning as the processor, which I hope to replace soon. I am looking at the Rotel 1068 and the B&K Ref 50. The Rotel only has 2 optical inputs which I'd prefer to have more since I could potentially use 4, otherwise I'd have to switch some optical cables to digital coaxil... it is also lacking hardware upgradability and the Ref 50 has a very very nice remote. Now that the Ref 50 is at $1999 msrp, I'm leaning that direction. BUT, does anyone know how well the pops and clicks issues have been addressed since the posts back in December? Also, are you still having issues with satellite and DD and the optical input issues? I have Directv and use optical from my HD receiver so I'd want to make sure before purchasing such expensive equipment. I have also found a Rotel 1098 that I could get gently used for around $2200 (and no tax). I have negociated the Ref 50 down to around $1700 b4 taxes from my dealer... I'm basically trying to decide which processor will provide me the most bang for my buck and have the least amount of issues. What are your opinions?
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • boe
    • Jul 2004

When I want popping and clicking, I'll go back to phonograph records. While they potentially have very good sound, the snap crackle pop destroys my enjoyment. I heard the ref 50 was at the end of its lifespan and they had a new model coming but no word on when.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Have you considered the Integra DTC-9.4 from the Integra Home Theater division of Onkyo? It is a THX Ultra 2 certified pre/pro which performs quite well with both music and movies. It has FIVE optical inputs (including one on the front panel) plus 3 coax inputs and a lot of other nice features such as S-Video to component conversion and a price tag under $2,000 (MSRP $2,000 USD -- dealer price usually lower).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

I got my 9.4 for $1650 from the dealer. The B & K has the advantages of things such as auto callibration and upgradability. The Integra comes with a CHAD remote, which, if I recall, costs several hundred dollars alone.

I auditioned the B & K quite a bit before making my final decision.
        Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test out both units side by side, but, again imprecise due to audio memory, I liked the 9.4 better sonically, especially in two channel, which is my main concern as I spend a lot more time listening to two channel than I do watching DVD's. It also does a wonderful job with multi-channel applications, just that two channel performance makes or breaks the unit for me personally.

If I were you, I'd try to audition both.

As far as the popping/clicking noises from the B & K, I was under the impression that this occured with a minority of units and that recent firmware upgrades have eliminated this problem...but can't be sure of this. Perhaps if someone more familiar with the B & K's could shed some light on this.

You might also want to check out the new Rotel.
        Keith

Comment

• Blazar
          • Feb 2004

DO NOT but a reference 50....

I have a demo model in my house at the thing occasionaly sets of the protection faults on my rotel 1095 amp...

I have all the snaps and clicks...

I also have all sorts of wierd electronic high frequency noises when I play movies or music.

They might have fixed this with firmware but it's pretty horrendous compared to my rotel 1098 thusfar.
          Blazar!
          (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

• Cowanrg
            • Feb 2004

you are an exception. most ref 50's work fine. they do need firmware updates though. its a great processor (i think i like the 1098 better though), so dont let that bother you. just get it updated and it should be a great piece.

Comment

• Jerry Pease
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Blazar
              DO NOT but a reference 50....
              very interesting...... :rofl:
              JP

Comment

• rpotter13
                • Oct 2004

Ref 50 Pop and click problems

The REF 50 poping problem has not been fixed. I purchased a new Ref 50 in August/2004 that I took directly to B&K's factory in Buffalo for the latest hardware and firmware updates. After applying the lastest fixes when I got home to my dissapointment everytime the unit changes sound modes POP in all speakers. This is beyond annoying. It even pops during the split second it takes to drop to the second dvd layer around the 120 minute mark. It also pops when pausing a movie due to the automatic changing between sound modes. I had a REF 20 before this that was attached to the same source equipment without issue so I know it's not my source machines. Finally, I am very upset due to the fact I believe one time when a pop happened during a loud sound passage it damaged the speaker in my $1700 velodyn subwoofer. Run from B&K. The build quality in the Ref 50 should be in a discount store when compared to the quality they use to build in the REF 20.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"