X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billz260
    • Dec 2004

Optical Issues between TU-DSB20 and 1014-TX Reciever

I bought a TU-DST50 on ebay cheap for the superbowl and everything worked perfectly for the OTA broadcast. Everything except the digital audio. I figured it was the used and abused unit I bought on ebay but now I am borrowing a newer Panasonic TU-DSB20 from a friend and it is having the same problems. Analog stereo works fine. But when I plug in and assign the optical audio the receiver acts funny. The Dobly Digital LED on the screen flashes on and off quite rapidly, kind of like the 'stereo' light on a radio when it is getting a bad reception. It has happend with both of the panasonic OTA tuners and my NEW Pioneer 1014-TX Receiver. I have tried multple input assignments as well as two different types of optical cables, some cheap non insulated (but covered) ones that work fine with my dvd player, a GE cable that is a bit more robust looking but basically the same as any other optical cable.

I am perplexed, confused and just plain frustraited. Can anyone please shed some light on my problem?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bill, could it be your reception? If you are in a bad or null zone it could just be the signal is dropping out enough to disrupt the 5.1, but not enough to drop the other.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• billz260
      • Dec 2004

It definatly could be that, but I figured that since the picture and analog were there full tilt, that the digi sound should follow. Of course, I am very new to this and don't really know how every works so it is dificult for me to trouble shoot. This weekend I'll play with antenna direction and see if we can pick up some digi sound. I wish I had a signal guage on this unit, maybe that would shed some light. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Good luck up on the roof. I hope you aren't in a "snow zone". :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• billz260
          • Dec 2004

Nope, Tulsa, OK. pretty cold but not bad today. Antenna is in the attic, we're on a hill and well withing range of the ant towers, but I will see what we can do...

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

If you are using a set-top box digi out and is having the same probs. with two receivers, could it be that it is the set-top box that is not sending a clean signal, or, is not assigned "optical out" in the audio menu? Have you tried a DVD player in that receivers' opti. input just to be sure? Jut another thought. :T
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• billz260
              • Dec 2004

DVD works fine w/ optical. I wish the OTA box had a coax as well.

I messed with antenna alignment this weekend but no luck, now it's dropping the picture every once in a while. I couldn't get the DD light to go faster or slower, I guess it is just an un-usable signal.

I still think it could be reception but I don't think I can convince my wife to let me stick the ANT on the back chimney.....

Comment

• billz260
                • Dec 2004

Well, I just got an email from another HT guy that saw this post. I hope he posts.

He is having the same issue, I don't know what SAT/ANT set up he's using but he has the 1014 too. Does anyone have the 1014 and digital service where the 5.1 is working fine? Curently just using DPLII and stereo input .

I guess I need to get another 5.1 receiver in to test. I am currently finishing up my rack inserts for the cabinets, So when I pull it all out, maybe I can do the testing then. We watched 24 last night and I was YEARNING for real 5.1....

Comment

• billz260
                  • Dec 2004

Anyone hear anything new on this?

This is what I have gathered from another site someone sent me, maybe one of you HT guru's could shed some light on what might be happening.

Apparently some of the newer receivers 'upconvert' audio signals from 48 something to 96 something or other? That is when the DIGITAL signal gets unusable, it's getting sent and something about the upconversion process mixes it up. I heard that maybe a source sending the 96 whatevers to the Receiver so that it wouldn't have to upconver may solv the issure.

Thoughts? Stereo is good but Surround is better for shows like LOST and 24.

Thanks!!

Comment

• billz260
                    • Dec 2004

BUMP

NO IDEA'S? I am really a beginner as to how this stuff works. Getting it set up correctly means understanding what everything is doing, and right now I just don't get it.

Comment

• billz260
                      • Dec 2004

Still nothing?

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"