X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

HDMI Switcher with Optical/Coax audio extraction

I'm looking at getting a Roku 2 media streamer to play our mkv and flac files off our NAS (via Plex) but my older Rotel pre/pro does not support HDMI. So I'm looking at purchasing an HDMI switch that has optical/coax audio extraction to send audio to the Rotel and the video over HDMI to the TV. Gaining a few HDMI inputs is a side bonus.

However, I have no idea who makes a good HDMI switch. The only name I recognize is monoprice who have this unit that would appear to fit the bill:

Monoprice 105557 4x1 HDMI Switch with Toslink, Digital Coaxial and 3D Support

4x HDMI audio/video inputs with one front-panel input for convenient connection to portable devices
    1x HDMI audio/video output, plus 1x S/PDIF Optical (Toslink), 1x Digital Coax, 1x Analog 3.5mm audio outputs
    Supports 225 MHz/2.25 Gbps per channel (6.75 Gbps total) bandwidth
    Integrated audio converter for simultaneous digital and analog audio output on all audio output channels
    Support for 1080p and 3D video output
    Designed exclusively for low voltage class 2 installation
    Nail-On type single gang
    Built-In loop to tie off cable
    But there's about a million companies that make them. Anyone recommend something better? Is the Monoprice unit ok?
    Jason
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

IIRC, Kal has offered some suggestions in the past regarding good-quality HDMI switchers.....???
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Wouldn't doubt it. I did a general search with no luck earlier....
      Jason

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Jason, you've probably already had this thought process in your head. But to make things ideal, would it be possible to replace the Rotel? You can get some great receivers or pre/pros for not so bad a price. And some of the newest tech is VERY much worthwhile, such as Dolby Atmos, that you wouldn't get with a switcher. Matter of fact, would you be interested in my Marantz AV7702? I could replace it.

Or, as I'm guessing finances may be strapped, have you considered just getting a low-cost receiver as an HDMI decoder like I did, before getting the AV7702? If your Rotel has multi-channel analog inputs, you could go that route and at least get HDMI high-res audio decoding like DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD, that isn't possible over legacy coax/optical. I have an entire thread on that in the Parasound section.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Yeah I looked in to it but as you say with Atmos (and the DTS version), the latest HDMI 2.2, 4K video it's a crappy time to try to upgrade (all bleeding edge). I was looking at the Marantz SR6010 but it's ~$1800 CA.

So a ~$50 HDMI switch/audio extractor is looking pretty good :lol:

I doubt you could sell me your 7702 for what I'd be willing to pay :rofl: (Especially at the current Canadian exchange rate )

It has HDMI 2.0, correct? Upgrade-able? Same with DTS X?
          Jason

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

While I eventually got an HDMI equipped AVR, I made do with a similar switching device for several years and had no issues. I've also had good experiences with Monoprice gear, for what it's worth.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Well I ordered the above switch, a Roku 2 and a 0.5m HDMI cable. We'll see how it all works...

Unfortunately it all seems to be on a slow boat from China :lol:
              Jason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Switcher and cable surprisingly showed up earlier this week and Roku today...so hopefully I can get it all going this weekend!
                Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Good luck and enjoy. :T

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                    IIRC, Kal has offered some suggestions in the past regarding good-quality HDMI switchers.....???
                    The switchers I have used did not offer any audio processing or extraction. Sorry.
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Well it worked :T arty:

Now I have to figure out why Plex is transcoding some (but not all) DTS files to DD. It's really weird in that some pass through and play as DTS no problem while others get converted to DD...
                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"