X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anovak
    • Dec 2008

Rsp1570 Having Issues!

Received my new RSP1570 on Monday this past week and on Wednesday noticed something very strange happening.

When I played a CD in my CD player through an optical connection to the 1570, the first half-measure or so of the first song was cut off.....just sounded like it skipped the first few beats. Thought it was my cd, so played another and after about 10 of them doing the same thing, thought it might be my player. Took the cd's out of the cd player (400 disc changer) and played them in my dvd player......using the optical connection (different cable to test to make sure the cable is not the culprit) I had the same results!

Went back into the menus to make sure I had the CD input configured correctly, assigning the optical input connection that I had it plugged into....sure enough, right as it should be. Checked all possible menu setup settings but nothing changed the scenario. Did a hard reboot, that is turned the unit off and unplugged it from the outlet, waited about 5 minutes and plugged it back in again.....no change. Went into the menus as a last resort, thinking going back to factory default settings might help.....no change after restoring factory defaults. I, of course, went back into the CD input menu and assigned the optical input to the CD input after restoring the defaults.

Contacted Rotel and they said this is "normal, they all do this" so I put my old processor back in the system, actually a Denon 3803 using the pre-outs to my RMB1095 and everything played as it should. Tried to get back to Rotel but could not get through......sent them an email.

Waiting to hear back from Rotel. Rotel also said that the cd's have this issue using the digital connection because they do not have flags, as dvd's do, to "tell" the processor the signal is coming.

Well, I tried playing dvd concerts using the same digital, optical connection and they ALSO HAD THE ISSUE!!! Eagles FT One, opening song "The Long Run" does not start on the first beat, but on the 3rd or 4th!!! So, I'm beginning to think there's an issue here with either my particular unit's hardware or the software, or of the 1570 series in general.

In any case, I'm not a very happy camper being told this is "normal," and that I should just use my analog connections, which do work fine (i.e. no hesitation on start of signal)......lots of other problems going that route (e.g. D/A conversion in the player, A/D conversion in the processor to get 5 CH Stereo, D/A conversion again to produce the signal for amplification rather than just one D/A conversion after processing into 5 CH Stereo), and besides I didn't pay this kind of money expecting some stuff would work, some stuff won't.....kind of like buying a fancy car with auto windows that don't work and being told, "oh, just use the handles, you'll be fine."

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant but I am just highly disappointed with the outcome so far. I expected a "so sorry you're having problems, we'll diagnose it with you over the phone and if we can't resolve the problem, send you a new one in the morning" kind of response.....

Anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Unfortunately that is normal for the Rotel. The inputs (even when set to a digital connection) default to analog when no signal is present.

When a digital signal is detected, it takes a second or two for it to lock on and start playing. Once playing it should be fine. You should be able to start the CD and hit track back to play it with no loss of sound.

Some players don't exhibit this because they are always sending something out the digital connection, keeping the Rotel locked to digital.

A good percentage have had sucess moving over to a coaxial digital cable instead of optical if you have that available on your source.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Anovak
      • Dec 2008

Kevin,

Thank you for your observations. Tell me, how did you discover this bit of knowledge about the Rotel design concept? Hitting track back button does NOT fix the issue. I did the coxial alternative that you suggest and, as you can tell from my post, that was with the dvd player when I played the discs separately. There was no difference.

I have now contacted at least a dozen other audio-enthusiasts who report no such anomalies with their equipment. If you are right, that Rotel just does that based on design, I will be returning this piece forthwith. I have done a search and have not located a discussion of this subject, hence would surmise it has not been an issue of previous consideration....

In any case, would really appreciate hearing from the rest of you out there who own Rotel. Tell me if, when connected as I have the player and 1570, you also experience this lag in signal recognition. Don't know what it's formally called, but seems an adequate description.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

I'm so let down by this. Rotel now the last 2 processors are faulty. The rsp1066 was faulty but not out of control. My Rsp1068 had to be repaired after 1 year of use. Digital circuit board went bad. I don't get it. They are awesome sounding gear and beautiful to look at. But if they can't work correctly then whats the point?

I hope this is just your unit and maybe you find something you over looked. I really want a new processor and I have a few now in my sights. Rotel I want to be the front runner.

Good luck with your problem. I really hope it's something stupid.

Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Here's some threads from the past.

Club Rotel! Continuing to be the number 1 place on the internet to talk Rotel! If you've got Rotel gear, you need to be here. If you want Rotel gear, you need to be here. If your not in either group, then you need to read what you've missed out on, HERE! Get the inside track on manufacturer info, product updates, features, and more!

Club Rotel! Continuing to be the number 1 place on the internet to talk Rotel! If you've got Rotel gear, you need to be here. If you want Rotel gear, you need to be here. If your not in either group, then you need to read what you've missed out on, HERE! Get the inside track on manufacturer info, product updates, features, and more!

If it's missing the first few seconds of each track, then that's a little different then before. That would mean it's loosing sync anytime there's a break in the signal. Then 1068/1056 had a similar issue that was corrected with a firmware update (increasing the the time it took to revert back to analog)

Kevin D.
          Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 21:44 Thursday. Reason: Update URL for htguide

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Jeez.

This issue has persisted for years – and not just with Rotel.

It's unconscionable that this simplest of tasks – play-the-music – can't get done.

A cable workaround (if it actually works) is nice to hear about, but this shouldn't be happening in the first place – ever... there should be no input default to analog, there should be no input default to anything but that which the input has been set up to do by the user.

Start the CD and hit track back to play it?... very unacceptable.

Maybe it just hasn't been addressed because there haven't been enough complaints about it... maybe few people pay much attention to music in their HT systems... or maybe music enthusiasts go to great lengths to put a superior music source in their HT via analog.

But a normal user should be able to exploit Rotel's good(-sounding) DACs without having to purchase an entire new source component.

Glad this came into view... with deep reluctance, I'm gonna havta boot Rotel from my short list... too bad, the 1560/1570 were mighty attractive.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by gd
              Jeez.

It's unconscionable that this simplest of tasks – play-the-music – can't get done.

A cable workaround (if it actually works) is nice to hear about, but this shouldn't be happening in the first place – ever... there should be no input default to analog, there should be no input default to anything but that which the input has been set up to do by the user.

Maybe it just hasn't been addressed because there haven't been enough complaints about it... maybe few people pay much attention to music in their HT systems... or maybe music enthusiasts go to great lengths to put a superior music source in their HT via analog.

But a normal user should be able to exploit Rotel's good(-sounding) DACs without having to purchase an entire new source component.

Glad this came into view... with deep reluctance, I'm gonna havta boot Rotel from my short list... too bad, the 1560/1570 were mighty attractive.
              I do agee with everything you say but I don't know if it's time to jump ship just yet. I'm waiting around for more comments as people start buying them. I almost got a rsp1069 but after reading all about the video problems and no 1.3 or processing, then I was out.

Lets see what else comes down the road.

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gd
                Jeez.

Correct, its NOT just a Rotel issue.

If the player output nulls when it was stopped this wouldn't be an issue (lock would be retained). I had hoped that Rotel would add a "lost lock delay" setting before it switches over to the analog inputs (or an option to disable the switch-over function), but obviously they haven't. Pity. But whether this "feature" is worth boycotting an entire product series is doubt full. Its probably better to send Rotel some feedback than to vent about it here. Hopefully they can then do something about it in a software update.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• callmebob
                  • Dec 2008

What model 400 Disc CD player and what model DVD player are you using with the RSP-1570?
                  Last edited by callmebob; 23 December 2008, 09:53 Tuesday.

Comment

• Anovak
                    • Dec 2008

Sony CDP-CX455 and Denon DVD2200.

Comment

• Minus4
                      • Jan 2008

Anovak, I also noticed this on the RSP-1570 not only does this happen on optical but it also happens on hdmi audio and coaxial as well when skipping tracks. Some players are worse than others, if you can update the firmware on a player do it. It might not take it completly away but it helps. for those ready to jump ship because of a quirk although its an old quirk you'll be the ones missing out on nice sounding piece of gear good luck to all.

Comment

• Anovak
                        • Dec 2008

Minus4,

Thanks for your observations and suggestions. I will check into firmware updates, but I really think it is either the software or the hardware itself in the RSP-1570 .

I had not tried the HDMI connection yet but had concerns about this as well. Someday soon I am planning to introduce a Bluray player into this system and now it sounds as though I may not be able to use it to play any cd's, unless of course I use the analog connections from it but then that would seem to defeat one of the purposes for getting a Bluray player, one-cable connectivity. I have a Bluray player in another system and I think I will move it to this one to see how it performs.

This all just seems too bizarre and I am baffled. I would suspect Rotel's DAC's are of much higher quality than those in the players and that they would want us to use them instead? Who would have thought that such a piece of equipment would not properly do something that seems so very simple as playing a cd over the digital connection without this annoying problem? There must be a fix and I really hope so because I agree with you that the sound is very nice. I am still waiting on a response from Rotel and will be sure to let everyone know what they say.

Comment

• Minus4
                          • Jan 2008

Anovak,

I just updated my Blueray player and it helped before the update my player was slow loading and very slow switching between tracks. If your watching movies the only time you'll notice this problem is when it switches between formats say from dolby digital to DTS when the movie starts. Good luck and be prepared for a good sounding movie once you hookup your blueray player.

Comment

• Anovak
                            • Dec 2008

Good news from Rotel. Through numerous communications with their US service supervisor, who was able to re-create the scenario with equipment at his disposal, the issue has now been formally established and forwarded to their engineers who are working to see if it can be resolved. Further, I was extremely heartened that Rotel authorized a full refund should it not be resolved to my satisfaction. This is quite encouraging and should receive compliments.....mine, certainly. I will hope for a fix so I can keep the unit. Will keep you all posted.

Comment

• TommyV
                              • Feb 2007

Using my RSX-1057 I play my CDs on a HTPC and the SPDIF is always locked and never drops out. I even tested a CD using my Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player and SPDIF audio stayed locked the whole time. The signal syncs up very quickly on all my equipment using SPDIF (toslink or coax) and always well before my media starts to play so I have never experienced the issue you are having with your new pre/pro on my 10 series gear.

I do notice a small pause when the audio switches formats for DVDs like from DD to DTS which seems normal to me as with all gear.

Comment

• Anovak
                                • Dec 2008

My two players, the Denon DVD2200 and the Sony CDP-CX455 both have SPDIF outputs. The Denon has coax and toslink, while the Sony has only toslink. Neither of these, and I've tried each type of connection, will work without the delay. I have also tried other dvd players, the Denon DVD1000 and Toshiba SD4800 and they present the same issue with the RSP1570, while each has no issues with the Denon 3803 receiver. So, I'm still waiting to hear from the Rotel engineers as to what they can do to keep that signal locked. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                                  • May 2009

Any news on the "first seconds drop out" issue?

I tried cd-playback over my pc via HDMI to the RSX 1550 and there's no such issue!

But with every standalone player I had access to, the problem occured, despite the type of digital connection I used!
                                  Greetz from Monnem (Mannheim)

Frank

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

It was fixed for the digital inputs on one of the updates. They've tried to improve it when using HDMI, but it's not fully fixed.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                                      • May 2009

thanks Kevin for the quick reply!

So I should be able to use an optical connection to my satisfaction? I will try tomorrow and report...

Since I have had my RSX1550 got repaired by ROTEL-Germany (new HDMI-Board been installed) they installed the december 2009 firmware, which should be new enough... .

BTW: Service of Rotel is excellent over here in Germany

Frank

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

I haven't tried, but as long as you have at least version 1.19, I would suspect it will work.

V1.18 to V1.19
                                        October 12, 2009
                                        Recommended Minimum Audio Software: V1.13 Bug Fix (Minor): Fixed a bug that would cause the unit to miss the first split second of digital audio when using coaxial or optical digital inputs.

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                                          • May 2009

Just checked my firmware version:

V 1.1.8 - 090818

Video V1.12

so, I have to update my firmware version first!

thanks Kevin!

Frank

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                                            • May 2009

Made the update (Main 1.2.1) and this fixed the problem via optical for me!
                                            HDMI is still the problem but don't bother me anymore, since this issue was only distorting during cd sessions...!

Thanks Kevin, you're my hero :T

Frank

Comment

• Dovetails
                                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                              I haven't tried, but as long as you have at least version 1.19, I would suspect it will work.

Kevin, I have been seriously contemplating upgrading my old, but 'trusty' RTC-965 with the 1570 but have been a little skeptical with the lock issues on CD playback. However, if the latest firmware upgrade addresses that via dig opt. or coaxial ok. My question is, how stable is the multi ch. movie track playback via HDMI? I'm using a Pioneer Elite BDP-05 for my source and have the option of either sending the Hi Def codecs bitstream or pcm via HDMI to the 1570. Have there been any delays or handshake issues with the Rotel in playing back 5.1 soundtracks over HDMI? My Pio will also alow me to send Hi Def analog via the 7.1 analog outs, but I would assume that would bypass all the setup/processing features in the 1570, correct? It would basically be doing exactly what i'm doing now with my 965 ... using it in a pass thru mode, right?

So I guess what i'm getting at is, if I have this straight .... with the 1570 I could get issue free CD playback via dig. coaxial input and use HDMI for bitstreaming multi ch. soundtracks,correct? I know the Rotel will sound great for 2 ch. CD playback but how about movie soundtracks, what can I expect. The Onkyo's / Integra's get rave reviews in this area, and wondered if the Rotel is going to be equally impressive for Blu-ray playback.

thanks for any input!

Comment

• chanlon
                                                • Sep 2003

I don't experience the HDMI handshaking errors I was encountering with the 1069 MOST OF THE TIME. Periodically I may put a show on pause on my PVR and then lose the audio when I resume playback. I am then forced to restart or toggle inputs to re-establish the handshake. But this does not happen very often. Perhaps 20-25% of the time. I just need to make sure I have my nachos filled or bladder emptied! He He He.

Audio over toslink and coaxial work fine with the latest firmware.
                                                There is still a small delay in audio when using HDMI. This is annoying for me.

If I was watching more movies than listening to music....I would look seriously at the Integra's or Japanese higher end receivers. However I value the 2 Channel audio performance more.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"