X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razvan
    • Jan 2002

mild pop when changing sources

My unit makes a very mild clicking sound/pop when changing sources. I wonder if you've experienced anything like this on your units.

Razvan
  • Razvan
    • Jan 2002

Apparently the Integra 9.1 also does this, here's what I read at www.audioreview.com in a review for the 9.1:

"Weakness: Quick pop noise sometimes when changing inputs."

I've read that the B&K Ref 30 and the latest Krell preamps also make a popping sound when changing inputs.

Razvan

Comment

• Razvan
      • Jan 2002

Guys, is there anyone else who's heard this popping noise on their RDC-7's or is it just my unit that does it?
      Razvan

Comment

• jakermc
        • Nov 2001

Mine doesn't make any noise when switching. My old Acurus Act-3 made a clicking sound, but the RDC-7 has been dead silent.

Comment

• Razvan
          • Jan 2002

My unit makes a popping sound when switching between inputs that have different bass and treble settings. For example if the DVD bass and treble settings are both set at +6 and the CD settings are at 0 then when I switch back and forth between CD and DVD the unit makes the popping sound even if the DVD and CD players are off. If the DVD and CD settings are the same, say both set at +6 for both treble and bass, then there's no popping sound.

The easiest way to check if your unit does it is the following: set your DVD bass and treble at +6 and then switch back and forth between the DVD direct and stereo modes using either the stereo and direct buttons on your remote or the DSP buttons on the front panel. Have your DVD player turned off, your amp(s) on and the RDC-7 volume at around 30db.

Please let me know if you hear anything.

Thanks,
          Razvan

Comment

• jakermc
            • Nov 2001

That would expplain why I never heard anything, I have bass & treble set to flat for each. If I make it into the theater one night this week, I will try and remember to experiment and report back.

Personally, I am completely against the use of tone controls. I strive for a flat frequency response and would only want to alter the sound to correct for room induced problems. I don't feel tone controls are precise enough to correct for this and would only consider using any sort of equalizer if it were in conjunction with some sort of measurement device. It seems to me that tone controls would do more harm than good, as far as achieving flat frequency response.

My old Act-3 didn't even have tone controls, I loved that fact about the unit - one less switch for the sound to travel through.

Comment

• Razvan
              • Jan 2002

"That would expplain why I never heard anything, I have bass & treble set to flat for each."

Yes, if the bass and treble are set to flat for all inputs then there's no popping sound at all, the unit is dead quiet. The popping sound happens when I switch inputs that have different settings for bass and treble.

Please don't forget to check your unit out, I'm very curious to see if this happens on my unit only or it's universal.

How about the other owners of the RDC-7? Any popping sound?

Razvan

Please let me know

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

The only time I've heard anything like the "popping" sound you describe from my speakers when switching sources via the RDC-7 is when music is playing on the source that I switch from -- and even then only occasionally, depending on the characteristics of the music (for example, it has to be fairly loud). If I pause the source before switching, I have not heard it at all.

I have tried setting my bass and treble as you indicated (but only for the test -- otherwise it is run "flat") and switched between digital sources with NO material playing -- and have only "heard" silence.

I don't know how to explain what is producing what you are hearing with you system when you switch sources under those rather special circumstances, but it doesn't sound like something that would damage the speakers or even register as a "bug" in your RDC-7. I'm just glad the RDC-7 doesn't do this all the time, since it is mildly annoying when it happens (although I never noticed it before I was consciously listening for it) -- a LOT of controller models have rather audible pops with every switch of source in every mode as their standard operating effect.

Even more annoying on some of them (including some very expensive ones) is the tendency to cut off the first few seconds of the first track of a CD or DVD while the unit "auto-senses" the encoded sound format and switches to the proper decoder. Fortunately I have NOT experienced this with the RDC-7.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Razvan
                  • Jan 2002

Burke,

I went to 2 Integra dealers yesterday and checked out their RDC-7's. They both made the popping sound that I described. I even called Integra and they duplicated the popping sound. According to their engineers that's the muting circuit in action and it's completely normal.

Razvan

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

Well, then they've explained it. I didn't think it was anything to worry about. I guess the muting circuit in my unit is "mute-er" than most. :>)

I'm glad you finally have the definitive answer from Integra Research, and can now stop wondering whether your unit was becoming "toast". :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"