Amp. To leave the power turned on? Or shut off after use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marion
    • May 2006

Amp. To leave the power turned on? Or shut off after use?

I have a mid-80's Harman Kardon HK870 power amplifier, and was wonder if it's best to leave the power to the component on all of the time, or should I shut it down when not in use?

Someone told me it was best to leave the power on, but I'm not so sure.

Thanks!
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Hello,
    it depends on how long you leave it on inbetween uses. If you play it everyday then leaving it on would be ok. I would shut it off if you leave it on longer inbetween uses.I assume this amp doesn't go into stand by after a certain length of time. If you have the ability to trigger it on VIA 12v or a power center,I'd suggest doing that instead of leaving it on all the time.

Dan

Comment

• The13thGryphon
      • May 2006

I have two Harman-Kardon amps that I leave on 24/7... unless I'm going out of town for a few days. I've got a Citation 22 (200 watt x 2) amp that is nearly fifteen years old, and has been left on all but a couple of weeks each year for that entire time. I also have a Signature 2.1 (100 watt x 5) that has been left on nearly continuously for the past five or six years.

Doesn't seem to have done either any harm, and they're always warmed up and ready to rock (or jazz, or blues, or take a cruise on the Titanic, or a lift-off in the Apollo 13, etc.). Of course, I do have both of them surge protected.

The only downside I can see is the higher cost on my utility bill.

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Guys, this thread is a double post that was already discussed in the Audio Hideout forum:

:huh:

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"