X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesa
    • Sep 2003

RMB-1095 power cycling

Hey everyone

I've got an RMB-1095 and absolutely adore it. Quick question about it though.

I'm not with it all the time (unfortunately )... when I'm leaving it for, say, 10 hours, would it be better over the long run to turn it off or leave it on? I'm only interested in what will be best for and prolong the life of the unit.

I might at some stage get a 12v trigger to hook up to it, but in the mean time... what do you recommend? How long is the longest you'd leave it before you'd consider turning it off?

Thanks!

-- james
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Why wouldn't you use an amp trigger now? All you need is a $5 mono 1/8" cable?

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I own the RMB-1095, and utilize the 12v trigger, which keeps the amp in standby (standby consumption=3 watts) mode until activated (power consumption=190 watts). In standby mode the capacitors remain charged yielding less warm up time (that's the basic theory). I can't see leaving my amp powered on and consuming electricity. There are others who chose to keep the amps powered, that's their personal choice.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• jamesa
        • Sep 2003

ok... I decided to try the trigger. plugged the cable into denon dvd-2900's remote out, and plugged the other end into the rotel amp's in. hit the switch. turned it on.

nada. the amp stays in standby. anyone have any hints for how to get it to work?

-- james

Comment

• Jason Brown
          • Jan 2004

James,
          You have to plug it into the trigger out on a preamp or receiver - something the 2900 doesn't have.

Comment

• jamesa
            • Sep 2003

thanks for the reply jason.

when it says "remote trigger", they're not talking about remote controls then? I thought that's what those 1/8" plugs were all for - just remote control repeaters.

it sucks, because my pre-amp doesn't have a remote trigger

-- james

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

James IR in/outs are exactly that they're meant to pass along a remote signal from one unit to the next or in from an external source like a hardwired wall receiver in another zone.

What you need is amp triggers. What Receiver/Pre amp do you have? If it doesn't have an amp trigger does it have a switched power outlet?

Comment

• jamesa
                • Sep 2003

It's a Tag McLaren AV32R... I have absolutely no idea whether it has a switched power outlet, though. How do you find out?

-- james

Comment

• Jason Brown
                  • Jan 2004

It would be an AC receptacle on the back which would power up whatever's plugged into it when the processor's turned on. I looked at a picture of the AV32R, and unfortunately you don't have one of those either. I'm not entirely sure plugging in something with the draw of the 1095 would be a good idea anyway.

Comment

• jamesa
                    • Sep 2003

so I'm S-O-L huh

-- james

Comment

• Jason Brown
                      • Jan 2004

I guess so, James. Up until last month I had an AV receiver with only one trigger out. I used it for my CDP, so I had to manually turn my amp on and off. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but I guess I wouldn't want to go back (I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear).

Comment

• PiDD
                        • Aug 2003

I also have the 1095 and feeding it with an Onkyo receiver (for now). There are no 12v triggers on the Onkyo but there are switched power outlets.

I know the 1095 is a thirsy fellow and wants all the juice it can get. Can the Onkyo switched power handle this?

Also the outlets are not grounded .. is this a problem?

The never ending project

Comment

• Jason Brown
                          • Jan 2004

Pidd,
                          I know in the case of the Denon receiver I had, the component's power that was connected to the switched outlet wasn't supposed to exceed 120 watts. The 1095's power consumption is 800 watts. 8O

I'd consult your user's manual unless you're not adverse to expediting a forced processor upgrade. 8)

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Pidd,

I'm truely surprised you haven't killed you're Onkyo yet and think you will see a big improvement if you were to plug the 1095 into a dedicated, grounded outlet.

I would never recommend doing what you're doing and I believe Andrew wasn't too specific on why he was asking if James' preamp had a switched outlet or not. I'm sure he was going to recomend getting a 12v power supply from Radio Shack (or the Canadian equivalent).

What you would do is cut the end off the power supply, attach a 1/8th" mono plug on the end of it (tip being positive), plug the power supply into your Onkyo, and plug the 1/8" plug into the 12v trigger on your 1095. Plug the 1095 into a wall outlet and turn the 12v trigger switch on. Your Onkyo now has a 12v trigger output controlling the 1095.

Good luck!

Kevin D.

Comment

• jamesa
                              • Sep 2003

ah well, never mind.

thanks for all your help though!

-- james

Comment

• PiDD
                                • Aug 2003

Ah sorry I wasnt clear, i wouldnt plug my 1095 to the Onkyo power .. its on a a dedicated 15a circuit.

I do like the 12v adapter idea!!

Hey Andrew if you poke your head in here .. where did you pick up your 1098? Advance?

The never ending project

Comment

• PiDD
                                  • Aug 2003

That 12v adapter trick worked great! thx for the tip.

The never ending project

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"