X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jnwarner
    • Feb 2005

HELP ! My laptop crashed

and it can't come back up. Hard disk failed.
    Now, I have a bright shiny new Dell with a REAL comm port, but I don't have my software anymore for the MX-700 remote that came with my C2.
    I MAY be able to retrieve some data from the hard disk, but I'm not counting on it.
    Will I be OK just downloading the MX Editor from the Parasound website ?
    I thought that somewhere along the line there was a firmware update into the remote itself.
    Just being extra cautious here. I don't want to screw something up and have to go out and buy a newer URC remote.

Thanks !

Jim
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Absolutely, you can download the MXEditor program from the site. Works great. (just doesn't do updates anymore, since URC locked updates for non-dealer people)

Just curious, what Dell model did you get that has a serial port? I haven't had 100% luck using my laptop with a USB to Serial adapter.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• jnwarner
      • Feb 2005

Chris,

I got the Dell Latitude D830 with Windows XP Pro. Sweet machine.
      And just for the reference, when I had MX Editor on my old laptop, I used the Belkin USB to Serial adaptor. It worked MOST of the time, but I remember that I had to connect everything up before launching MX-Editor or it wouldn't always communicate with the remote.
      I'll download it and give it a try.
      Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yeah, there's a thread somewhere here in the Club that I made a long time back about USB/serial adapters. One didn't work for me at all, but a different model from Radio Shack works pretty good for me for MX Editor. Now, when I do firmware updates, the cable gave me fits, though, so often I had to drag my desktop down into my theater to do the last of the update.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"