X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

**Official Dell Inspiron 8500 NoteBook Discussion Thread

I have just spend a better part of the evening with my new Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook. It is from the new model line that moves away from traditional black theme for a silver metalic look. I was a big fan of the older Inspirons and was a bit leary with the new look. It has grown on me, and I must admit that it does look very handsome to me now. I'ts still questionable on the blue bezel around the keyboard, and although it is a very nice metallic blue, I think I could have just done with out the accent color just as well.

The thing that separates this note book apart from most others is it has a WIDE SCREEN display. The aspect ratio of it is 1:6. The display is in fact quite pleasing to look at in the wide aspect display. Another thing I have read is that the Graphics chip on the 8500 is on a separate daughter card, allowing future upgrades. I did not see an access port, so you must have to virtually take the NB apart to get at it.

The main reason I purchased this machine was for a terciary machine for the family, that would do duties as a kitchen/other room PC, portable gaming rig, mobile DVD player, control system for various pieces of equipment. So while I did not need something as highend as this Dell, I did need a NB with a Serial port, DVD-ROM, something that was capable of at least 1400x1050 resolution and had enough processing power to run some of the applications I was going to throw at it.

The resolution thing was what really pushed me over the edge to go all out for this top line Dell. It seems higher resolutions, SXGA and UXGA are mutually exclusive from a lower priced NB. A person really has to open the wallet wide for the higher resolution displays. It's as if they know the users of this requirement will pay for it, so charge for it they do. I run my desk top 21" CRT at 1600x1200 so I really wanted something similar. I was a bit tentitive about the UXGA resolution of the Dell i8500 for I thought it may be too small on a 15.4" diagonal screen. I concluded the finer pixel pitch of the UXGA screen would be bearable and actually make up for the smaller size of the text and icons. I was not wrong, the display is perfect at UXGA resolutions for my eyes and I must say it is razor sharp, albeit blocky on other things. This is the typical down fault of a LCD monitor and I certainly expected this, so I'm not disapointed in the least. I am stunned with how nice text and some things can look on this fine pitched screen. DVD playback is simply incredible and the black level thing didn't even dawn in my mind as a problem.

I Loaded the game Splinter Cell and set the game at the maximum resolution of the game, 1280x1024. The LCD monitor interpolated it very nicely and I don't have any issues with softeness or the like. There was a slight aliasing present, but this could more due to the game as I have read Splinter cell does not support Anti Aliasing. The game was slightly stretched to fit in to the 1:6 screen, and I actually didn't mind this. There is a setting in the Nvidia drivers to run the game in it actual 1:33 size, however I just ran it in the widescreen size for now. That's the only game I have tried thus far.

Screen resolution of 1280x1024

The first thing I did when I turned on the Dell was attempt to get the internal wireless card setup... This took longer than I anticipated and I don't know why. Even though it showed it was talking to my router, and had great signal strength, it would not connect or find my Network. It wasn't until I ran Windows XP update that it was able to connect and find the network (It had about 25 updates and one was a wifi compatibility one). I then set up the internal 10/100 network (wired) and then the 56K modem, systems were all GO!

Configuered Specs:

Dell Inspiron 8500
    2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 Mobile CPU
    512 MB DDR RAM
    64Mb DDR Nvidia Geforce 4 4200 GO
    15.4" 1920x1200 WUXGA Wide aspect Ultra sharp LCD screen (0.17 pixel pitch)
    40 GB, 5400 RPM hard drive
    24x CD-RW/DVD Combo drive
    72Whr 9 cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Integrated 10/100 Network card with 56K Modem
    Internal Dell True Mobile Wireless WAN 802.11b/g
    Internal Dell 300 Bluetooth card
    64Mb USB Memory Key
    Windows XP Home
    Corel Productivity Suite
    Dell nylon carry case
    3 Year Total Care Mail in Warranty (I drop it, it's covered )

The NB came very well packed and took about 2 weeks from order date to arrive. My first impression was that it was a thing of beauty to behold. Upon closer inspection, I have to say it does have this plastic-key feel to it and the springy keyboard does not lend itself to the solid feel, unlike the vault like security of a Mercedes Benz like IBM or Toshiba. The key board it's self has a nice feel (as nice as a notbook can feel I guess), except for the right side with the CD-RW/DVD cavity under it is like a trampoline, I kid you not, it must deflect almost 1/8". One feature I most liked is that Dell provided both a glide pad and a pointing stick for mousing duties. I'm a fan of the pointing stick as I have become accustomed to it on my corporate IBM laptop, and I actually prefer it to the glide pad, however I'm now getting to like the glide pad as well. The nice thing is you can assign the pointing stick to do duty as a scroll device and it works very well as that for those that are use to a scroll wheel mouse. The springy KB and the plastic feel aside, it is a very nice valued NB/PC, and I think it will make a nice addition to the family. In actual fact, my wife Christine will be using this more than I will, but I just wanted to be sure it would cover the range of my needs as well.

Note the Rare RS232 Serial port that is almost extinct on NB these days.

If I was to nail one thing that I'm happiest the most about this Dell it would be the beautifull WUXGA wide screen display. The resolution of this thing is incredible! It actually takes my eyes a bit to adjust back to my 21" Sony CRT monitor after viewing the ultra fine pitched LCD of the Dell for a while. That said it does show typical LCD problems as well. Color rendition of it is good to poor depending on wheither it running on battery or AC power. It is relatively bright over all and has a crispness to it that has to be seen to be believed. Some web based images can have a really blocky look as well depending on it size.

That's about all I have to say about it now as I have only really worked with it for 2 evenings, I'll post more as I become more accustomed to it and discover more of it's idiosyncrosies or strong points.

I'll leave you with more pictures and notes....

DVD playback is phenominal on the ultra fine pitch screen.

Here I tried to capture how sharp and crisp the text is.

You can see while the text is sharp, the typical LCD blockiness shows up in images like the HTG banner and smiley icons.

Here is why I needed a serial connector and a fast Processor. I'm using an Astromony program called Starry Night Pro that can really require a lot of computational math to calculate places in our universe. As well it does a 3D fly to/by of any cataloged item in our universe. Connected to Katherine's computerized Goto telescope, I just click on any item in the Starry night program and the telescope will slew to the item. ie, if I wanted to look the Orion nebula, I just cursor onto it in the Notebook and click on it. The telescope will then slew to put the nebula in the viewfinder automatically. The added bonus is I have a wealth of technical information at my fingertips about any item in the sky with the SN program... My daughter Katherine is really the Astronomony nut of the family, I just find ways to enhance our experiance and understanding. She is totally thrilled with this set-up.

Bing
    Bing
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Bing, very nice write-up!

Sounds like you got a winner :T

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Nice write up bing...a lot of your thoughts mirror those I have as well.

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
        • Sep 2000

Great review Bing! 8) I can rest assured that this unit is good for me - if its good for Bing! My only concern is the keyboard, but there are fixes for that. I just really like the keyboard on our 5100. No spring at all - the Sony I tested was springy and I definitely didn't like that.

Have you tried Morrowind on it?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Jeff how's morrowind on the 5100?

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
            • Sep 2000

LOL Andrew...don't think the 5100 will cut it for Morrowind..at least not at the detail levels I would like. Not that I am picky or anything...

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Thanks Guys :sn

Jeff, I have not yet ran Morrowind on it. I have to get my disks back from a friend.

Your going to absolutely hate the i8500's keyboard. the whole right half is a freeking trampoline and I don't think stuffing thin art foam in there will help. Add to that the CD drive specificically tells you not to press on top of the drive and I think I can see the problem. If you stuff foam in there to stiffen up the keyboard, it could applied pressure to the top of the CD drive, causing it to burn out. Probably the only way to do it correctly is to take the NB apart and see if it the kb carrier could be stiffened up with a thin peice of aluminum. I guess I'll have to live with it until I get brave enough to take it apart. I just don't want to muck with it too much right now or Christine will give me that look as if I was disecting the golden goose.. :smackbutt:

I just ran 3DMarks on the i8500

The 1024x768 interpolation is a tad soft looking, but it's nothing that is unbearable. It still looks good enough, though not a crisp as the 1600x1200 (1920x1200 actually)

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

You know, as nice as this LCD screen is on the Dell.... it is exceptional for text, but I think it blows chunks for picture editing. I was just comparing the pictures in this post from the Dell to my Sony 21" CRT, and there is no comparision. The Sony kicks it's ass Bigtime!!!! The images are all jaggie edged and the color is far from accurate. Looking at the pictures of the Dell on the Dell, it doesn't even look close to how it should. Even with this LCD monitor which is reputed to be the best available I would have a hard time doing photo editing with it due to the inaccurate color, brightness and contrast. With the Sony, the pictures are just as they should look in color, contrast and shadow detail. The images don't have thes same backlit look as the LCD. I think it's the same reason why I'm not a fan of RPTV's, they also have that back lit look to the image that isn't natural.

I also played the same DVD in both machines, and while the Dell is phenominal, the Sony flat out leaves it in the dust for all the reasons above and also becuase it looks mor film like than the LCD on the Dell.

I guess if all a person had was the Dell LCD, then maybe a person wouldn't know any better and would be happy at that (you only know what you only know), however having the 2 side by side it only reafirms for me that LCD has a long way to go before it can replace a good CRT.

Still, text on the Dell is absolutely with out peer...

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                  • Sep 2000

Bing:

The 'blocky' image issue surprises me...I've never had that problem on my LCD, yet I can clearly see it in your shot of the HTGuide graphic. Does it only occur in IE? Because apparently that is a known issue - graphics look like shite in IE if you set the DPI above the standard 96. Or does this happen in all photo editors? I've never had that problem, and I would notice it as I do graphics for the webpage and work with images a lot.

Of course, you're absolutely right about colour accuracy, contrast, brightness etc. LCDs are no good if you need such accuracy, though I don't think many people do. I imagine most would be doing 'casual' editing which doesn't require pinpoint accuracy. Of course we know that Bing never does ANYTHING casual with his computer!!

One thing I meant to ask...have you noticed the infamous audio 'tic' problem with the I8500? It is causing quite a stir in the Dell forums. Just wondering if you've noticed it and, if so, is it really that bad? The descriptions vary from not noticeable to so bad it makes you want to hang yourself.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

9000+ 3D Mark scores! Cripes since we have the same CPU that must mean that its my video card thats really holding back my dell since my scores were VERY low :evil:

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Jeff, I'll have to load Netscape and see about the blockyness, however it's just images in general don't appear as they should. Now the qualifier is if so long as you have something to reference that to. As I said if the Dell was all a person had, it wouldn't be that bad, but having the Sony for comparison really shows the pitfalls of LCD monitors.

Yes there is the tick, how every I think that is just the sound of the speakers emulating the "Click" of IE when ever a action is pressed. I just asume it was that. I'll see about turning it off.

Andrew, it is the video card as 3D marks is dependant on the graphics card and overall system integration. Besides that your P4 is a desktop P4 and as such, has a higher front side bus (533mhz) so would be faster in a foot race over the Mobile P4 (400Mhz).

Bing
                      Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

hmm time to see if I can swap out the video card for the geforce

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Nice reveiw Bing!! ;x( ;x(

Glad the text looks great in the fine resolution.
                          That 3d score is very impressive. The upgradable card makes it real sweet!.

Mine has shipped now, So I should see it next week.

Trevor
                          My HomeTheater S.E.
                          Sonically Enhanced
                          C5
                          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2000

Well Jeff, it turns out you were right on that. Dell sets up the font size to be "large" 120% from the factory. This makes IE6 interpolate every image in the browser, which is why images are blocky (like the HTG banner). Regular Photo editing programs like Paintshop Pro and Windows XP look fine, and actually very crisp with the fine pitched screen. However the color and contrast still is lacking although, it's certainly better than it is in Internet Explorer and not nearly as bad as I made it out to be.

So I set the fonts to the regular 96 DPI and I have to admit, it's a tad on the small size for even me, it's still razor sharp and ledgible though so I will use it there for a while and see how I like it. All the images and banners in IE6 look good with out the blockyness. I loaded up Netscape 7.02 and it does not have the image interpolation problems, however the text is smaller and looks to be the standard 96DPI even though the Dell is set to 120%.

I would not recommend the WUXGA screen for yourself Jeff (Trev, I think your not going to like the WUXGA screen), and would say go with the 1680x1024 WSXGA instead. The WUXGA screen is an incredible piece of work, and Graphics on it do look extremely fine indeed, however you have to put up with blocky images in IE6 for a normal sized text, or use the normal 96 DPI setting and deal with a smaller text.

Knowing what I do now, I would say it would be a tougher decision for me as to get the WSXGA or WUXGA screen.... I like how fine the image is with the WUXGA, however I think the WSXGA would be a better overall screen.

Yes my 8500 did have the "tick" in the audio.. :rofl: I actually though it was those tiny speakers trying to recreate the "CLICK" wav of IE6 when ever an "open" was executed. I just installed the Intel AC97 Audio driver and it has fixed the problem. However it disables the Sigmatel power saving management of the Sigmatel Audio chip so battery power will be reduced, howmuch, I'm not sure, but I just got about2.5 almost 3 hours out of it. It's a stop gap solution until Dell can provide a permanent solution. They release a set of drivers that was suppose to fix it, however from what I read, all it does is delay the "tick" for about 12-15 seconds. So I didn't bother with them. The "Tick" is allegedly caused by the powering on on off of the audio chip's amplifier during the execution of a sound.

After sorting though that, I have to admit, the small little stereo speakers on this Dell, actually sound decent giving their size. I mean it's not a booming sound, but they do in a pinch.

You know, I think I'm getting use to this small text at the 96 DPI resolution as i type this message

The Keyboard still sucks :roll:

Bing
                            Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

OK, so the speakers actually are just a shade better than my alarm clock radio.... My alarm clock radio is mono... :P

Bing
                              Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Nice looking system in many regards, Bing. I'm looking for a new "high res" notebook, and have been viewing systems and collecting inputs from friends- I need something at least 120X1024, and was pretty surprised at how good a Sony GRV670 with a 16" SXGA screen was.

There's HUGE variability with LCD screens- I'm not very fond of my current Sony (XGA, 14"), but it's worlds better than the IBM StinkPad system I have at work, both on absolute color fidelity (which can be tweaked a bit if you go into the driver setup on some machines) and off axis variation. Also, my experience is that the standalone monitors are built for quality, but the laptop monitors are built primarily for price and specs- (resolution rating), and suffer for that. My desktop LCD panels are much better on off axis and color than any laptop I've seen.

The new 16" SXGA are better than most laptop displays, as regards off axis; some of the UXGA displays are pretty good- IBM's, for example, but others aren't always in the same class. You really have to see and feel the machine to know. Mechanical construction quality is a big variable- IBM's have been very cosistent, many other's not nearly so well executed. Some of the new keyboards, as noted, are rather poor- a consequence of the continual quest for cost cutting.

Enjoy your Dell, Bing!

~Jon

Earth First!
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                Obi-Wan
                                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

would not recommend the WUXGA screen for yourself Jeff (Trev, I think your not going to like the WUXGA screen), and would say go with the 1680x1024 WSXGA instead. The WUXGA screen is an incredible piece of work, and Graphics on it do look extremely fine indeed, however you have to put up with blocky images in IE6 for a normal sized text, or use the normal 96 DPI setting and deal with a smaller text.
                                  Time will only tell..
                                  I have no choice now as the 8500 is on Route to ToonTown..
                                  I think I will like it..
                                  I am running my PC at 1280x960 @100HZ and love it..
                                  Just don't like the blurry text..
                                  Can't go back to the lower res, It actually does blow chunks..
                                  You where right..
                                  Small type on a bright LCD will be very likeable for me ..Me thinks anyways..

.17 dot pitch has me going .. :drool:

Trevor
                                  My HomeTheater S.E.
                                  Sonically Enhanced
                                  C5
                                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                    • Sep 2000

Bing:

I think you can fix the blockiness without going to 96 DPI. Apparently it is a registry hack. You need to get rid of the 'UseHR' key.

Still, I never like adjusting fonts with that DPI setting. The problem is that the effect is not uniform across all programs, as you noticed with Netscape.

I am going to go to Futile Shop today and check out a Toshiba 1600x1200. I think this should give me a fair idea of what the Dell will look like and if I could live with it.

Would the SXGA+ still not be quite a fine screen? Looking at the specs, it still has a very fine pitch (.19 as opposed to .17 for the UXGA). I would think it would still be nice. Though I must admit, lately you've been selling me on this UXGA thing.

I'm going to post a review of the 5100 later today, but one thing I definitely don't like about it is the screen. The problem is it is next to impossible to find the right viewing angle. The backlight is clearly at the bottom of the screen, and it totally washes out that area. The only way to make the screen look good to me is to have it tilted so the top part is quite dark. Also contrast is very poor as well. This is the one big failing - I'm used to much better with my Samsung 151S.

Someone posted pics of the 8500 on the Dell site, and from what I can see the screen looks superb! There appears to be next to no 'washout' on the bottom edge of the screen. Can you verify this?

Cheers Bing!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2000

Thanks Jon

OK, guys, I'm a bit scared that I will get rotten liverworst in the mail from both of you for recommending the UXGA screen. :wedgie: It is nice and as I said I can live with it as it is such a fine resolution. The jury is not out yet as Christine has not yet seen it with the DPI setting at 96 DPI. She has only seen it at 120%.

The SXGA screen would still be a nice screen and it is still finer than most desktop LCDs at .19 so as I said, I think the SXGA would be more suitable for most people in general. If I was given the chioce of changing my Dell to the SXGA or keeping the UXGA, I would keep the UXGA :crazy:

Jeff the screen of the i8500 really is a nice screen and not as bad as I made it out to be. The contrast and color is lacking, however the fine detail resolved in the LCD is also superb! I was looking at a picture I took of the back side of my iPod. The chrome on the back is reflecting the black speaker cloth of my Klipsch promedia speakers. In comparisons between the Sony and the Dell, the Dell LCD certainloy resolves more thread count of the cloth, or it seems as if I can see more detail in the cloth. This may also be a function that the LCD brightens most images so they are lighter. The SOny is calibrated so i did not want to muck with it.

The screen does look uniform overall and about the only time I notice the backlight wash out is during DVD playback. You can see the the edges of the screen are slightly whiter than the black areas due to the backlights. Viewing angle of it seem good, in all directions I suppose. It's on par with my NEC LCD monitor.

Jeff, can you elaborate some mor on the 'Use HR' key in case Christine does ot like the text size?

OK, something really has to be done about this keyboard :M :M I can't beleive Dell would have thought this was OK to ship like this.....

Trev. if you don't like the 8500 WUXGA/Trampoline keyboard, you can always buy another laptop right away :rofl: :wedgie:

Bing
                                      Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Trev. if you don't like the 8500 WUXGA/Trampoline keyboard, you can always buy another laptop right away

I don't understand the trampoline keyboard thing,,
                                        How would it comapre to the Sony I just bought.?

Buy another laptop..
                                        That would be 4 computers in the last month..
                                        I would get caught.. :naughty: :nutkick:

Trevor
                                        My HomeTheater S.E.
                                        Sonically Enhanced
                                        C5
                                        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                          • Sep 2000

Bing:

I think all you need to do is search the registry for UseHR and delete that key. Apparently it is working for people.

Here is a link to Microsoft that explains it more:

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2000

Thanks Jeff. have fun looking!

Trev, the Dell 8500 has a very springy keyboard. In fact it actually makes a lot of noise while typing. I think it's the Achilles heel of the 8500 and will be remembered at the Dell notebook with the crappiest keyboard ever. I may have to stuff it with some foam or something to solidify it... In comparisons to your Sony (from in store hands on), I think the little Sony is built like a tank compared to this Dell. However you'll have to tell me what your thoughts are. I just don't get the feeling that this Dell is a soild built as the notebooks I have used (most of them IBM's).

Bing
                                            Bing

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                              • Sep 2000

Bing;

Sounds like you're not as happy with the Dell as you were when you first received it? Or is the keyboard the primary reservation?

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2000

Jeff, I'm fairly happy with it but it's just when you pay this type of price for a notebook it should be damn near perfect out of the box. If not it should not have faulty tactile interfaces that are as important as a keyboard. So yes the the keyboard ripps me off more than I thought it would.

Over all it still is a nice computer, but I question if it was worth what I payed for it considering what Toshiba or Compaq is offering at the same price. Sure the Dell has a few more features, but for the tactile feed back on it I would have to grade it as a 3 out of 5.

If it's no tthe keyboard, it's the DVD-ROM eject button. This thing can barely be preesed with out having to actually look for it. WTF with a flush mount button? I know they want to prevent inadvertent ejecting of a disk, but it could have been designed a bit better so a person wouldn't have to grope around for it.

Another annyance is the DVD playback is studdery on battery power. this really concerens me as this is one of the main reasons i wanted a notebook. I don't understand why this maybe for my old corporate IBM @733mhz did not have a problem on battery DVD playback. I updated to the new Nvidia drivers from Dell, they didn't help at all.

The screen is amazing, the keyboard amazingly sucks!

Bing
                                                Bing

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                                  • Sep 2000

Bing - I don't know if we could ever be happy with anything!!

I have to say, having played with a Toshiba at Futile Shop, I'm still not that impressed. I just can't get into the look of them. Also, the unit I was playing on had a crappy touchpad - though that could have just been poor settings.

As for the DVD problems...someone else has identified the problem with power management as well. No fixes yet though. Apparently the DVD combo and the HDD are on the same IDE channel, perhaps that is causing the problem? Is there a reason power management would be seeking to the HDD more, thus causing problems?

How has the combo drive been otherwise? I've heard rumblings of problems with burning etc. I'm still trying to decide if I should get that or just the CDRW.

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                                    • Sep 2000

Bing:

Try disabling the Indexing on all your drives and then disabling the service. Does that help the DVD in battery mode problem?

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2000

Thanks Jeff, I'll have a look into it...

I did have some issues that the CDR-DVD drive would not recognize a some disks that I had burnt with Nero 5.15. They are packed full of Video files and when ever I load the CD, the drive auto launches, however once the window is up, it shows nothing on the CD. Not sure what the problem is, but I installed Nero to see if that would fix it... Not yet.... :roll:

I understand what your saying about the Toshiba's Jeff, LOL maybe your right, You and I will always nitpick something to death. I mean the Venus demilo doen't have arms.. Whats with that??? :LOL:

Jeff, these images mayhelp you decide if the WUXGA sreen is for you or not. They are actual captures that I took and posted on the Dell forum.

Click on the images for the full sized resolution image. Also be sure to resize to actual if your IE auto resizes.

Nah, that didn't work.... I just checked it on my 21" monitor and it just looks normal on the Sony. I'll see about taking a picture for you

Bing
                                                      Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Bing want to trade me for my 5100 :?: ...no keyboard problems here

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2000

Andrew, I shouldn't be having any keyboard problems either for a top line Dell NB :smackbutt:

Ok, Jeff, have a look at this...

It's funny as you siad in the TTP, after looking at the Dell for a bit and coming back to the 21" Sony, even the fonts are hillariously big, and they are the same resolution.... :rofl: I find it actually quite comfortable, but I'm sure others that are use to larger text would find it microscopic.

Bing
                                                          Bing

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                                            • Sep 2000

Bing;

Thanks for the photos. I'm almost there and ready to pull the trigger on the UXGA. I was just so impressed with the UXGAs I saw today. Text small, yes, but wow was it detailed and sharp. The screens were beautiful. I realize that I've just never seen higher resolutions on a good quality screen before.

The keyboard is disappointing. I really like the solidity of the 5100 keyboard. Might have to pull it out and see what makes it special. I think a BingTech mod is in order. It was an interesting thought you had earlier about placing some sort of metal underneath...perhaps we can explore that further.

Did you manage to sort out the DVD issue? I think I'm just gonna go with a CDRW drive.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2000

Jeff, surprizingly I didn't do anything, I started the PC and was going to disable Indexing in services. Before I tried it I played a DVD again and it din't studder on battery so "A don know"...... :huh: Maybe it just needed a reboot for the batteries were fullly charged before as well.

I pulled out the tray and played my hand in the bay supporting the kb from underneath, it certainly stopped the bouncing and I started thinking about making some sheet of plastic or aluminum to slip in there. Not quite sure how to get at it and Christine was already giving me heck to don't start mucking with it. :smackbutt:

Well maybe I'm just being a worry wart for you guys, but I do like the resolution of this screen. Christine stated the text was a wee bit small, but not a big deal. Katherine didn't have a problem with it at all and was playing with it the whole evening

So what the hell, go with the UXGA, I certainly would not switch..

I didn't know you could get just a CDR-W drive with out the DVD... I would say get the DVD drive for thats what really showcases this screen and notebook. If it's a matter of cost, I would rather have the DVD drive over the CDR-W. It easier to add a USB or 1394 external CDR-W than a External DVD drive me thinks.

Bing
                                                              Bing

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                                                • Sep 2000

Good idea Bing! I think I will get the DVD drive, and use the $$$ saved for the CompleteCare package. I don't burn CDs that often, so it won't be a big deal for awhile.

Here is an interesting dilemma though...when I ordered my parents 5100, I neglected to get either a CDRW or USB key. So we now have no official way of backing stuff up. This will be a bit of a problem - I am selling my comp. later this week and using the 5100 in the interim. The question is - how do I get my data from the 5100 to the 8500?

Am I completely naive in thinking it could be easy - simply connecting the two via the integrated network cards? Or is that a complicated procedure?

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Jeff, the simplist way would be trhough your router (LAN). You could also try the IR sensors on both Notebooks. To directly connect the LAN cards in the NP's you would need a Cross Over Cat 5 cable. Those are available anywhere (Futile Shop). Another method would be to connect them using the serial ports, however I don't think the 5100 has a serial port.

I would say use the router or the IR.

You will need some method of backing up when you sell your PC, so I would seriously consider ponying up for the CDR-W/DVD Combo drive. Those external CDR-W's are expensive and will cost you more in the long run than the $180 for the combo drive from the factory.

If it absolutely comes down to one or the other, I stand by the DVD drive, for you will always be able to get somebody (Andrew) to burn stuff for you. All you have to do is connect up to his LAN wirelessly and Viola! But the DVD drive will always show off that excellent high resolution monitor.

Bing
                                                                  Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Jeff if you must skimp somewhere skip the CDRW and just get the DVD since as bing mentions adding an external CDRW is easy and since you want one to back up the 5100 as well that makes the most sense. You can buy an external ASUS USB2 CDRW for $209 at Computer Avenue which isn't that much different then the cost of the DVD/CDRW combo drive at Dell...plus you'd be able to back both notebooks.

As for the backing up now that you have the LAN its very easy to set up filesharing so you'd simply transfer the files from your old PC to the 5100 for now..then when your new notebook arrives simply transfer them back again. Make sure that when you're transfering large files though that you connect them to the built in LAN card not the wireless link since its much faster If you need help just give me a call and I'll pop over.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Atta boy Andrew :T

That is a good price for an external burner and an Asus no less 8O I have always wanted an external burner... Don't know why, probably because having one would be a very versatile tool, and that certainly looks to be a good deal.

Bing
                                                                      Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

OOps..FLIP Heh! Heh!

Jeff!!
                                                                        If you don't have a Memory key fom Dell , you can always buy
                                                                        one locally.
                                                                        They come in 64 meg and 128 MB sizes. Even though it won't be a DELL brand key they work with all systems regardless..
                                                                        just an FYI..

Trevor
                                                                        My HomeTheater S.E.
                                                                        Sonically Enhanced
                                                                        C5
                                                                        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2000

Well Bing I ordered it. Also stocking up on rotten liverworst, just in case.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 6521

Ha, ha funneee Trev :alol:

What's cool about the 8500 is it can be booted from the USB memory Key :hump:

Good Deal Jeff, congrats, here's hoping that the UXGA screen meets with your approval, it will if you have seen others comparable and have resolved that you can live with small text. It amazing how small you can read text at. I looked for the finest print I could and yet event though it was as tiny as a spec of dust, it was still ledgible ( ;x( to the 0.17 ). I was just worried about you large text guys as it is a super nice screen for me. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

Reminder to self, phone the post office and tell them to hold all mail for a month.... heheh

I was a bit diappointed that it never came with a Nvidia graphics badge after seeing them on the Toshiba's at Futile Shop...

Maybe Trev could russle up a few for us i8500 buddies....

Bing
                                                                            Bing

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2000
                                                                              • 343

#39
                                                                              Ditto on the nVidia emblem Bing! Why the heck don't we get that??? Dell are cheap BASTARDS!!!! I would love one of those on my 8500!! :hump:

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2000
                                                                                • 343

#40
                                                                                Bing:

Did you keep it at 96DPI, or bump it back to 120?

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 10935

#41
                                                                                  Bing,,
                                                                                  What is the CAS rating on the DELL memory?
                                                                                  Did you mix the Crucial with the Dell or just install Crucial only??

Trevor
                                                                                  My HomeTheater S.E.
                                                                                  Sonically Enhanced
                                                                                  C5
                                                                                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 10935

#42
                                                                                    Maybe Trev could russle up a few for us i8500 buddies....
                                                                                    I wonder where one would get such a Label.

Trevor
                                                                                    My HomeTheater S.E.
                                                                                    Sonically Enhanced
                                                                                    C5
                                                                                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 6521

#43
                                                                                      Jeff, I'm running it at 96 DPI now, and it's fine :P

Trev, It is Nanya CAS 2 RAM. The Cucial is CAS 2.5. It's probably not a big deal but I suppose that's why the Dell RAm is so much more.

I'm running the Nanya and the Crucial with out any problems so far... I don't think the difference between 2-2.5 is going to make a measurable difference in the performance. However if the i8500 is looking for specific timings, well then the 2.5 could trip it up if it can't handle 2.0 which usually isn't the case. My Samsung RAM in my desktop is CAS 2.5 RAM but I'm running it at CAS 2.

Trev, I figured you would know where to get some Nvidia stickers as you always seem to find those cool AMD ones..etc :amen: The ones on the Toshiba's and Compaq's at Futile shop are like a silver foil backed sticker rather than the typical bubble dome case type. They are like the one pictured above, however the Geforce 4 4200 Go has a different one that looks like this..
                                                                                      Not that I have seen one on a notebook, but I have seen the black generic on the Toshibas and Compaqs...

Dell are cheap bastards!

I just finished burning a CD with the CDR-W drive and it went off with out a hitch.. Now if only I can figure out why some of my previously burnt disk files can't be seen in the drive... Somebody on the the Dell forum mentioned that there is a Windows patch for this problem...

Bing
                                                                                      Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 15298

#44
                                                                                        Glad to see this is coming together for you, Bing.

This has been a modestly frustrating/productive weekend for myself, helping a friend shop for a new printer (she wound up with a Samsung 600 DPI laser for $210!) (problem is, I bought a 1200 DPI one for $350), and also just sorted out (I think) the Netgear wireless router- I'm posting from what used to be my desktop and is now my daughters, over the wireless connection- only a skosh more complicated to setup because we have a PPOE connection on DSL.

Keep those comments about your Dell coming; I'm still looking and shopping and scratching my head. Just set up the Sony GRV670 at my friend's for her son with wireless networking, it's pretty nice, but the 1st battery isn't anything to write home about, capacity wise- anyway, it's more of a desktop replacement system, uses a desktop 2.6 GHz CPU. But it's pretty peppy, I'll say...

Earth First!
                                                                                        _______________________________
                                                                                        We'll screw up the other planets later....
                                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                                        M8ta
                                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                                        Isiris
                                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                                        Calliope
                                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                                        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 16507

#45
                                                                                          and also just sorted out (I think) the Netgear wireless router- I'm posting from what used to be my desktop and is now my daughters, over the wireless connection- only a skosh more complicated to setup because we have a PPOE connection on DSL.
                                                                                          Whats the problem jon I'm on PPOE on DSL on my wireless Netgear router and its been rock solid for me:T

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"