X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Dude, I'm getting a Dell!

Welp, I just got a delivery of a new Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. I've been debating over computers for a while. My family home desktop is still working great, only about 2.5 years old, a P4 2.2GHz. I've been wanting something for the theater, as a HTPC of sorts. But since I travel a lot, I also could use a laptop for portability.

So, I got a combination of the two. The 9100 I got is a desktop replacement, with a full-bore 128MB video card with DVI, P4 3.2Ghz processor, 512MB RAM, etc. The only thing it's not all-out with is a sound card. But as I posted in the other thread, it comes with a "dongle" (great word) that plugs into the S-video port and passes a coaxial S/PDIF signal. So I should be able to pass digital audio to my theater processor. I just don't know yet if it also passes DTS or not, or whether I'll have to stick with Dolby Digital.

I also bought a USB-to-Serial port adapter, so that I can hook up the laptop to my Parasound processor for control and programming, as well as do on-the-fly programming with my MX-700 Theater Master remote control.

I'm excited, as with this system I should easily be able to watch hi-definition Windows Media 9 stuff. I'll be trying out Terminator 2: Extreme Edition on my trip starting this week. Now I just have to figure out other ways to integrate this baby into my theater so when I'm at home I can use it as a HTPC! I'll definitely be playing games and stuff on the big screen. I've already picked up a couple USB game consoles to use in the theater like Belkin's game pads.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Nice, post more thoughts on it as you get to know it. :T

I know the T2 extreme looks very detailed on my 8500, it makes the rgular re-mastered DVD look like VHS :E
    Bing

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Congratulations on the Dell, dude! :T

My Inspiron 4100, almost 3 years old, has been a great machine. Maybe a tad outdated now, but I still use it more than my desktop! Probably because it has such a nice screen, and with wireless I can surf from anywhere in the house or in the back yard.

KJP

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Congrats Chris!!
        That is going to be one sweet DeLL!!:T
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Oh, I almost forgot this for myself: :banana:

So far, it's working great. It has a built-in subwoofer in the battery pack underneath the unit, which seems to work okay. It has a lot better heat ventilation out the bottom and sides than other laptops I've worked with. The underside vents stick down and to the sides instead of just pushing air into your legs/pelvis/other parts.

The video is suprisingly a little jerky on Deus Ex 2 at maximum resolutions, but I haven't had a chance to tweak it. It's FANTASTIC on Unreal Tournament 2004 at max resolutions. Matter of fact, I'm enjoying that game very much on the laptop with some USB gaming devices plugged in.

I won't be able to check out the theater audio connections for MANY weeks until I get home. I'm deployed with the military for quite some time.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"