X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

Upgrading my good old 602's...

I'm planning on upgrading the front channels in my HT system by means of a couple of 705's or 805's with matching center speakers. I currently own a pair of DM602's S3 and a LCR 60. I have alway been impressed with the 602's capability for producing bass and I'm affraid that both the 705's and the 805's will disappoint me on this matter in 'pure stereo'.

I know the price for a couple of 805's comes close to a pair of 704's, but I prefer bookshelves on stands (visual preference).

My questions are:
    1) Can anyone comment on the 705's / 805's capabilities when it comes to bass reproduction?
    2) Do I need to consider upgrading my sub when opting for the 705's / 805's? (currently own the Yamaha YST-SW320)
    3) Assuming I'm not the first who's about to replace the 602's with 705's / 805's , can anyone share his experiences?

Thank you.

ps: I'll be driving them with the Rotel combination 1068/1075...
    Last edited by weijst; 13 September 2004, 07:39 Monday.
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R
  • RacerChris
    • Oct 2004

Hello,

Look for my post regarding Distortion with my 805/Yamaha Receiver combo. Stuff in there is relavent here.

I upgraded from 602 series 1 and the first I must say is that the difference is BIG is dollars, but small in sound. Don't get me wrong, the difference is there and signficant enough for me to upgrade to 804s. :T But if I didn't own my house and a Vette, I'd save the money and spend it on something else... :W Ain't 40-something grand :B

Anyways, based on my side by side comparison, the 602s can deliver more bass than the 805s in FULL mode; more -definitely yes, better-now that's up for discussion!

Enjoy the music!

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

weijst...I'm sure you already seen my post here in the club. My speaker setup is similair to yours. I have the 601s as mains and LCR600 as center. I just started buying the setup not too long ago so I don't have the sub i wanted yet (SVS PC+20-39), and the DS6 soon.
      Te 705s with 805s and both pairs were driven by a Rotel stereo receiver and a Rotel CD player. The comparison wasn't exactly fair because of the placement and mounting method. The 805s were on the STURDY Nautilus stand about 2 feet away from the wall and the 705s were mounted on some kinda wall mounting kit, very close to the wall, not very sturdy at all. The 705s would literally almost swing around from that mount, by itself. I brought my U2 and Maroon 5 CD. Since I'm into speakers with a decent amount of bass, most of the tracks on Maroon 5 sounded better with the 705s. But tracks where there's alot of vocals, the 805s just took over. I didn't mix a sub into the demo, just the 705s vs 805s.
      When it's time for me to upgrade, I'll listen to them both again side by side and I'll make sure they were both properly mounted and driven with better equipments. Your 1068 and 1075 combo will show the difference between the 2 even more easily.
      After this unfair demo, I'd take the 805s. I'd wouldn't say the difference is BIG, but it's only driven by entry level Rotel equipments. Many of the 805s owners or people that had enough experiments with them will tell you that the when they both equally and properly driven the 805s will sound better. I'm not too concerned about the bass difference either, since the sub that I'll get will be more than enough for music listening, for my genre of music at least. BTW, I love the looks of the 805s.
      The topic of my previous thread....601s vs. 705s. Check it out. Alot of others chimed in on their opinion on the 705s vs 805s.

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

Blazemaster,

I eventually decided to go for a pair of 705s after demo-ing them against the 805s. My impression of the 805s is almost simular to yours:
        - wider soundstage
        - more relaxed

However I preferred the bass performance of the 705s and I believe they sounded better / more attacking for the kind of music I play (U2, Joe Cocker, Toto etc). And since the 1068 / 1075 wouldn't fully bring the 805 to live(assuming this wouldn't be (much of) a problem with the 705s)...

I'm now planning on getting the matching center HTM7... Will probably be picking it up today
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

did you ask the dealer to let you compare the 2 with the setup that you got? I heard them with a Rotel receiver and cd player. I'm sure the difference will be even more noticeble with your setup.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"