X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

601s vs the 705s?

Hi, all I currently have the 601s right now for my fronts with the LCR600 and am planning for a eventual upgrade to the 700 series within next 6 months and wanted some ideas. I know it's all going to come down to me listening to them and pick the one I like better. What's the different in sound between the 601s and the 705s/805s? The 705s and 805s obviously has wider, taller and deeper cabinets, but how does the sound differ from one another? If I upgrade from 601s to 705s, I'd get the HTM7 to go along with them. My dilema is that, the upgrade program that my dealer offers is that, I have to upgrade within a year and the upgrade has to be twice the MSRP of what I'm upgrading from. 601s w/LCR600 to 705s w/HTM7 is fine. But what do I upgrade to from 705s w/HTM7? The 805s aren't twice the price of 705s. I guess I'm just scared of getting stuck with the 705s if I'm not satisfied with them. Do they make a Signature HTM2?
    My main usage will be for movies, when I listen to music, it'll be mostly rock, pop, hiphop and dance music. With those kind of listening habits, the 800s will be too much of a overkill right?
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I can't comment on the 705's because I have never heard them, but I can on the 805's. The 805's are very precise. No matter what you listen to, you can not go wrong. They are great bookshelf speakers.

One thing that is nice about the 805's is that they dont need a lot of power to sound good. They definately benefit from adding more power, so if you went this route, you would probably still want to look into getting an amp down the road, something like the 1075 from rotel would work.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

What amplifier do you have?

The reason I ask is that the 805's are "quite challenging" to drive well and really love a good high current 200W+ a channel amp... The 705's are much more amplifier friendly and can even be driven by some higher quality recievers as well as amps in the 80W+ a channel range...

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
        Blazemaster,

What amplifier do you have?

The reason I ask is that the 805's are "quite challenging" to drive well and really love a good high current 200W+ a channel amp... The 705's are much more amplifier friendly and can even be driven by some higher quality recievers as well as amps in the 80W+ a channel range...

Geoff
        I disagree. When I had my 805's, I used just my rotel 1055 and it still sounded good. Obviously it would sound better w/ more power, but I don't think these are as power hungry as the 804's are.

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

Heh, back when I still had my Yamaha RX-V430 (the cheapest one in the line) I borrowed some 805's from work.
          Boy did that sound weak
          I was possible to play it loud enough and all, but it sounded pretty horrible.
          CDM1-NT's and 705's (which I also borrowed) are much easier to drive though, even by a simple receiver.
          The 805's are manageable if you have a decent sized receiver but not with the real low end stuff, the Rotel may just manage.
          But power isn't the only issue, these are very revealing speakers and I've never really heard them perform as they should on a receiver.
          In fact, my 804's driven by a Rotel RSP1098 and Parasound HCA2205ATdon't sound nearly as good as I know they can on high-end stereo amps.
          In the future I'm planning to fix that by adding a stereo pre-amp with some sort of pass-through function for HT.
          This way the stereo preamp can handle CD's, and just pass along the signal from the 1098's pre-out when watching movies.
          That and a separate stereo poweramp for the fronts, and I'll have 2 completely separated yet integrated systems in 1 :B
          Now to find that pre-amp with pass-through...

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

well....i only have a Denon2805 right now...but i'm sure I'll have a Rotel amp by then, if not with preamp also. I think once I'll get to the 800s range, I'll stop there and start improving the amp and the process. Alot of people tell me the electronics of the system can make or break the system.
            So 805s will sound good of almost everything you throw at it huh? When it's time for me 2 upgrade...i'll be sure to listen to them some more. Thanks

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

I've seen from the forum in the past posts that somebody said " don't get the 800s and use them for dance or hiphop music where there's alot of bass at higher volumes, it's not made for that." So what happens if I do like those kinda music and love the looks of the 805s even more? Will it do damage to the 805s if I listen to dance/rock/hiphop on them over a long period of time? I'll mainly use the 805s for HT with a dedicated sub, but when I do listen to music it'll probably be music of one of those genre listed above. Please enlighten me. And I still didn't get a direct answer, given the electronics are equal, what's the sonic difference between the 601s and 705s?

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

[QUOTE=BlazeMaster]I've seen from the forum in the past posts that somebody said " don't get the 800s and use them for dance or hiphop music where there's alot of bass at higher volumes, it's not made for that." QUOTE]

I think that comment is silly. Now if you are listening to dance/house with the thump, thump thump, thump, you will obviously need a good sub but it is still going to sound better than it would w/ 705's.

If you can, take your CD's down to the store and listen. If you dont think there is as much of a difference, dont do it. It is all subjective to each individual. Just because you dont listen to jazz, or classical doesn't mean you don't deaserve 800 series speakers.

If you like Incubus, be sure and take a cd or 2 of theirs. It sounds simply amazing on 800 series speakers. Stuff like the Let it be Naked from the beatles, and RHCP will come alive as well. To me the 800 series speakers are 3 dimensional when broken in. They really do image as if there is no speaker present.

Comment

• DrBoom
                  • Dec 2003

The only reason I can think of why a Nautilus won't sound good with RnB and stuff like that, is that it doesn't have the boomy bass typically associated with these types of music
                  I don't play this type of music very loud either on my 804's, I'm afraid to damage the woofers but I know it's silly because I've heard them play full blast in a room much larger than mine at really loud levels with some Insane Clown Posse music. ("Ain't yo bidness" was the song if I remember correctly, just try it )
                  So they can handle it alright, they just don't look like they can.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

so, if I add a SVS 25-32pc+ or something of that caliber, then it'll take care of all the bottom end authority I'd ever need, right? Given the same sub, same electronics, the 805s will still sound better with everything you throw at it?

Comment

• DrBoom
                      • Dec 2003

It is not a given fact that the 800 series sound better all the time with all kinds of music.
                      It depends heavily on your personal taste.
                      The 700 series have a lot more upper treble, which can be a benefit for rock music, but that all depends on what you like.
                      A 705 and 805 are just very different sounding speakers, the 705 goes a little lower because it has a slightly larger cabinet, it has more highs as well and the midrange is a bit more forward sounding.
                      The 805 sounds smoother, with more midbass and has a wider soundstage.
                      So just grab a bunch of CD's, with all the types of music you play, and go listen to both.

Comment

• weijst
                        • Jun 2004

I auditioned the 705s vs the 805s just two week ago. I brought U2, Joe Cocker and Toto. Allthough I agree with DrBoom that the 705s give more hights and their midbass is more forward sounding and that the 805s sound smoother and have a wider soundstage, I do believe the difference between the 705 and 805 is more obvious with jazz and classic (the salesrep had some cds) in favour of the 805s. With my music preference, I actually prefered the 705s.

Before the session, my mind was set on a couple of 805s and I expected that the session would justify the extra eur 600. I am now however the proud owner of the 705s...

My point; do not blindly choose the 805s before you have listened to the 705s. Yes, the 805 look absolutely gorgeous (especially in black )and anyone who ownes a couple is still enthousiastic about them. I however think you o it to yourself to give the 705s a serious consideration (the price difference can be spent on other components). Do not buy to own, buy to enjoy...
                        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2003

Weigst,

My point; do not blindly choose the 805s before you have listened to the 705s. ... I however think you owe it to yourself to give the 705s a serious consideration (the price difference can be spent on other components). Do not buy to own, buy to enjoy...
                          I couldn't agree more - especially as in Australia - the 705s are Aussie $2,500 wheras the 805s are $4,500 - a much bigger % difference than the USA.

I also found that the 805s could sound worse than the 705s on "lesser" amplifiers such as the Yamaha Recievers etc the store was using. The 805s only really started to "strut their stuff" and show their superiority over the 705 on amplification that was very serious indeed... For example on Massive McIntosh Separates the midbass issues refered to largely went away and the 805s just sang - but these cost twice the price of the 805s!. This made the buying proposition even more expensive...

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
                            • Aug 2004

I couldn't agree more - especially as in Australia - the 705s are Aussie $2,500 wheras the 805s are $4,500 - a much bigger % difference than the USA.
                            In fact, it is much cheaper to import the 805 from the US -- works out to around AUD$3500 (no such gain from importing the 705, however). There's some substantial mark-up on the 805s happening somewhere along the chain...

Originally posted by weijst
                            Before the session, my mind was set on a couple of 805s and I expected that the session would justify the extra eur 600. I am now however the proud owner of the 705s...
                            Maybe this should be in a new thread, but has anyone reading regretted buying an 805 and wondered if they should have opted for a 705 (or 704) instead? Or vice versa?

I'm currently torn between these two options...

-- Geoff

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                              • May 2004

thanks alot guys for all the inputs, as I know that the bottom line is always my choice, but I really do appreciate all the answers. Most of this dilema has alot to do with my dealers's upgrade policy is only limited to within one year, I wouldn't be so concerned if it was longer. Here's another option: after getting 705s, I can upgrade the mains to say either 804 or 703 and upgrade the HTM7 to a HTM1. What's the deal with the FST drivers? In a room size of about 11x30x9, can floorstanders cause the overall sound to sound boomy? Does anyone has the HTM1 with 703? Does that combo blend well together?
                              For those that upgraded to 7.1 from 5.1, do you guys like the extra 2 surround better than without? I'll be using Denon2805 til I can upgrade to a Rotel 1068 or 1098 and not sure if the 2805 has PLIIx, is it worth it to go into a 7.1?
                              I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but that dealer also carry Dynaudio and Krell. Is there any models that I should check out in the $700-$1500 for a pair range? I know that's probably non-existent for Krell, but hey, doesn't hurt to try, right?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2003

BlazeMaster,

Here's another option: after getting 705s, I can upgrade the mains to say either 804 or 703 and upgrade the HTM7 to a HTM1.
                                Good thinking for the future – but IMO you will need to upgrade your Denon Receiver to separate amplifiers before even thinking of this upgrade.

What's the deal with the FST drivers?
                                The FST is a very well respected low distortion midrange unit that really transforms the sound of vocals etc…

In a room size of about 11x30x9, can floorstanders cause the overall sound to sound boomy?
                                Yes they can if the positioning is poor (e.g. in corners against a wall) but with a little experimenting (flexibility) if you can get the 703s away from the corner and wall a little (e.g. 60 cm from the corner) you will be fine)

Does anyone has the HTM1 with 703? Does that combo blend well together?
                                I am 99% likely to buy this and am just in the final stages of saving etc.

For those that upgraded to 7.1 from 5.1, do you guys like the extra 2 surround better than without?
                                Absolutely love it – the extra 2 centre rear channels fill in the sound in the same way as the front centre does – I wouldn’t be without it.

I'll be using Denon2805 til I can upgrade to a Rotel 1068 or 1098 and not sure if the 2805 has PLIIx, is it worth it to go into a 7.1?
                                Upgrade to the Rotels ASAP e.g. RSP-1068, with RMB-1075 and RB-1080 for 7.1 – I had the Denon 3802 and the upgrade to the Rotels was amazing – so much clearer and more musical. You can do it in stages if you like – amps first and then the processor…

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but that dealer also carry Dynaudio and Krell. Is there any models that I should check out in the $700-$1500 for a pair range? I know that's probably non-existent for Krell, but hey, doesn't hurt to try, right?
                                Really see your dealer – Krell’s speakers are way expensive (Aussie $10,000+) and Dynaudio are very nice but the cheapest I have heard is the Dynaudio Contour S1.4 at Aussie $4,800 which is more comparable to the B&W 805s than the 705s you are looking at…

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
                                  • Aug 2004

G'day,

I am 99% likely to buy [703 + HTM1] and am just in the final stages of saving etc.
                                  Why are you choosing the 703 over the less-expensive 805, for example? I asked my local B&W dealer about the 700s vs the 800s, and he reckons the 805s beat all of the 700s.

I'll be dragging my amps down to the B&W dealer soon to test the 700s and 800s myself, but I'd like to hear why you choose the more expensive 703s with the HTM1.

-- Geoff

Comment

• weijst
                                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by hired goon
                                    Maybe this should be in a new thread, but has anyone reading regretted buying an 805 and wondered if they should have opted for a 705 (or 704) instead? Or vice versa?

I'm currently torn between these two options...
                                    There is a lot of information in this forum on the subject 705 / 805. Just use the site's search engine... I too was torn between the two options (705 / 805 that is). After listening to them the only way I'd get a couple of 805s is if I would find a pair on the second-hand market, bringing down the difference in price. (I did not find a pair for a reasonable price and the 705s were nowherer to be found, I guess that's because they're relatively new...)

Just make sure sure you bring your prefered music when auditioning.

Why are you choosing the 703 over the less-expensive 805, for example? I asked my local B&W dealer about the 700s vs the 800s, and he reckons the 805s beat all of the 700s.
                                    Your local B&W dealer is, well, "not intirely accurate" (quote from ID4 )
                                    I'll be dragging my amps down to the B&W dealer soon to test the 700s and 800s myself, but I'd like to hear why you choose the more expensive 703s with the HTM1.
                                    First of all the 703s are floorstanders. Further more, they are the only models in the 700 range that feature an FST mid-unit, which will be a better match with the HTM1 (which too has an FST unit).
                                    What, to me, would be a more interesting question is why someone would prefer the 703 over the 804 since they are both in the same price range...
                                    Last edited by weijst; 08 October 2004, 03:54 Friday.
                                    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2003

Hired Goon,

Good questions....

I have considered the 805 and good sub option (I have the good subs already!). I guess what put me off was a combination of things:
                                      • The price of the 805s which are more that the 704's
                                      • The kind of amplification that the 805s needed to "sing"
                                      • Difficulties in pure analog stereo listenning - IE the 805s are bass limited without a sub and I like the deeper sub 80 Hz bass notes from a full range speaker.
                                      • The HTM2 centre which is a match for the 805s just didn't grab me as much as the HTM1 with its FST midrange. I really like the extra control and clarity from the FST midrange - hence the HTM1 and the 803 / 804 or 703 combinaiton all "do it for me". With Aussie pricing the 703 is nearly half the cost of the 803 so....
                                      • My logic is "for a little more than the 805s I can get the 703s and have the great FST midrange and decent bass in pure stereo...

I hope this helps... Really I would highly recommend you take some qulaity Cds and DVDs and go listen. Sound is very personal and you need to hear for yourself the differences and think "yes" = You will know for sure then....

Geoff

Comment

• jlee
                                        • Aug 2004

To Aussie Geoff:
                                        1. Just so you know, N805 in the USA is $2000 US for the pair. 704's are $2200 US.
                                        2. Nautilus Series with the FST midrange need really good high current amplifiers to sing, but N805 does not have the FST and does not dip as low and as frequently into the low impedance range that the other Nautili do. I don't think the amplification requirement will be any different between 704 and 805 as they have similar drivers. The 7NT had an identical bass driver to the N805. I do know that the 704 went with an attached center cone for a bit higher mass and a bit of bass extension (I guess they made the magnet bigger to improve control to compensate for the added mass).
                                        3. This is personal preference.
                                        4. Agreed. I would go with the 804 than the 703... if you're going HTM1... the 804 is not much more than the 703... might as well make everything match. 803 has slightly better midrange and bass, but 804 gives you the "essense" of the Nautilus line and is a great value... and probably the best overall speaker in the world at it's price point.
                                        5. I would go 703 over 805, but not the 704's... the 700 series that stands out IMO is the 703 due to the FST midrange... I like the 705 for budget office setups (I own the 705's). The 704 I'm personally not crazy about.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2003

Jlee,

The joys of international pricing:
                                          Agreed. I would go with the 804 than the 703... if you're going HTM1... the 804 is not much more than the 703... might as well make everything match. 803 has slightly better midrange and bass, but 804 gives you the "essence" of the Nautilus line and is a great value... and probably the best overall speaker in the world at it's price point.
                                          I would agree except in Aussie the 803 is rec retail of $10,000 and the 804 is rec retail of $8,500 while the 703 is $5,700... I really like the 803 and see it as being a worthwhile step-up from the 703 but at nearly twice the price.... Its just not value... The 804 just wasn't enough of a step up from the 703 to justify the nearly 50% higher price...

I would go 703 over 805, but not the 704's... the 700 series that stands out IMO is the 703 due to the FST midrange... I like the 705 for budget office setups (I own the 705's). The 704 I'm personally not crazy about.
                                          Absolutely I like the 703's sound way more than the 704 which I find a significantly less clear in the midrange and with a different tonal balance.... Hence the seemingly bizarre 703 and HTM1 combination... Which my dealer says he sells a few of ...

Geoff

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                            • May 2004

thanks guys for all the replies. Just one more question left before I go to the stores and listen for myself. Setting up a pair of 805s w/ HTM2 w/ 1075 with a SVS PC+20-39 for HT vs. 804s w/HTM1 w/1075 and without a sub for HT. Which will be better, or should I say, which would you take?
                                            What should I take with me when I go and audition the difference between 705s and 805s? When I bought the 600s, I demoed w/ the music that they had in the stores and movies that I brought that I enjoyed watching.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

Setting up a pair of 805s w/ HTM2 w/ 1075 with a SVS PC+20-39 for HT vs. 804s w/HTM1 w/1075 and without a sub for HT. Which will be better, or should I say, which would you take?
                                              This is a tough one. Some comments:
                                              • If I could get a sub within 6 months my saving – I’d take the 804 / HTM1 hands down as a better long term investment. (Knowing in my heart I’d weaken and get one sooner!)
                                              • However if the sub was “out of the question” for some time then I’d take the 805/HTM2/Sub combination now… I would just get very good digital connections etc as even pure stereo would go though my processors bass processing.
                                              • Given the RMB-1075 as a limiting factor in amp quality I would also consider the 705 HTM7 combination with a even better sub such as the SVS-PB2+ with the savings!

What should I take with me when I go and audition the difference between 705s and 805s? When I bought the 600s, I demoed w/ the music that they had in the stores and movies that I brought that I enjoyed watching.
                                              It should be both well recorded and things that you know. For example I’ve found Nora Jones “Come Away with Me” CD to be very revealing of a system’s stereo capabilities. Equally the Eagles “Hell Freezes Over” DVD is excellent for the surround sound musicality and resolution. For pure HT you need something definitive like Blade II in DTS, or Daredevil in DTS….

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

I say for movies, take gladiator dtses version. in the openning scene, the htm2 will really bring out a fullness that I never heard with my old matrix htm. for music, if you have it, take the star wars a new hope soundtrack. the music to the cantina sounds amazing and is very dynamic. another suggestion would be incubus (one w/ nice to know you), or rhcp (newest one). the recordings are very good. sorry, dont really pay attention to album titles.

Comment

• hired goon
                                                  • Aug 2004

The joys of international pricing:

I would agree except in Aussie the 803 is rec retail of $10,000 and the 804 is rec retail of $8,500 while the 703 is $5,700... I really like the 803 and see it as being a worthwhile step-up from the 703 but at nearly twice the price.... Its just not value...
                                                  I did a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation on how much it would cost to import the 803 to Australia:

List price in the US is US$5000/pr. Assume a dealer discount of 10%, and that's US$4500/pr. The B&W web site mentions that the 803 weighs 66lbs each, so make that 80lbs each with packaging. Fedex rate calculator (San Francisco to Brisbane) for 2 items @ 80lbs each is US$700 for 4-5 delivery (I think this includes insurance). So that's US$5200/pr landed to Australia.

At the current exchange rate of US$0.70, that's AUD$7430. Add 5% for import duty, and get AUD$7800. Add 10% GST and get AUD$8580.

Assuming you can get 10% discount on the Australian list price of AUD$10000/pr, then the net saving is only AUD$400, which is not worth the effort.

But if the exchange rate creeps back up to US$0.80 (like it was a few months ago), then the landed cost is AUD$6500. Add duty and GST, and the cost drops to AUD$7500, which is a significant saving (and also the list price of the 804).

I guess the moral is: keep an eye on those exchange rates. Once the Australian dollar starts creeping up, and you're brave enough to import from the US, then your options for getting a Nautilus increase.

-- Geoff

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                                    • May 2004

I'd be really cautious about sending high end speakers like that oversea. I work in a retail store and I've seen how most of the couriers handle most of their deliveries, regardless of whether the box has a "fragile" sticker or not. Especially if it's at 80lbs each, I'm pretty sure most of them would just lift them up with hands and drop them on the ground hard since it's that heavy. I'd much rather pay a little more and go to the stores and pick them up and take them home myself, instead.
                                                    Does anyone has 805s w/ HTM1? Does the HTM1 blend well, or it overpowers the L&R, like how my LCR600s overpowers the 601s.
                                                    Another question that should belong somewhere else, I've seen the cover on HomeTheaterMagazine, but I've had no luck finding it in stores. Anyone seen the SuperBit version of Gladiator? That's one of those movies that I look for every time I go to a store that sells DVDs.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

I have heard the 805s with the HTM1 and (exactly as you feared) the HTM1 just overpowers the 805s, different stronger midrange and better bass. - but the soundstage is unbalanced - too center focused. The HTM2 is the right match for the 805s tonally OR (if like me you love the HTM1) you need to go down the slope of 804 or 803 or (controversally) the 703 to get the right tonal match for the HTM1...

Geoff

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                                        • May 2004

yea...that's what I thought also, even though I haven't listened to them yet. Thanks alot Aussie for your participation in my and others thread, BIG thanks. The reason I'm askin you guys so many questions, is that I much rather trust you guys than the salesperson at the dealers, even though they were suggesting me to save some money to go with quality bookshelves than decent floorstanders. But the bottom line is that, they make a living out of me buying something that they carry, which still makes their opinion kinda biased.
                                                        The price difference between the 703s and 804s are so much smaller here in US than in Aus. I might as well splurge and get the best fronts that I can ever afford at my age (24 yrs. old) and just improving the components or surrounds when the budget allows later. Thanks B&W owners. BTW....I'll pick up the 705s and HTM7 combo first and then pick up the 804s w/ HTM1 setup a year later and I'd at least have a 1095 to drive a 5.1 setup by then.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

Your plan sound like a good one - staged upgrades and enjoyment, within the dealers upgrade period. Plus it gives you something to look forward to to tame that "upgraditis"

I know your 705/HTM7 will get even better when you trade that Denon Receiver in and get the RMB-1095, and then a few month later, the 804/HTM1 combination! Right on!

Enjoy your new system...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                                          😀
                                                          😂
                                                          🥰
                                                          😘
                                                          🤢
                                                          😎
                                                          😞
                                                          😡
                                                          👍
                                                          👎
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"