X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spaceteddy
    • Jan 2011

804D or 804D3

Anyone who has compared ? I'm in a doubt to buy the 804D3. Equipment is NAD M3/M51 and M50.2. Some say the D3 sound a little dry or steril compared to the old D.
    Cheers Bjorn
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by spaceteddy
    Anyone who has compared ? I'm in a doubt to buy the 804D3. Equipment is NAD M3/M51 and M50.2. Some say the D3 sound a little dry or steril compared to the old D.
    Cheers Bjorn
    You mean D2, or diamond? Because there was no 804D, the diamond tweeter got put on the 804 at the D2 generation.

Anyway, I think subjectively there are several ways to look at it. Do you own the 804D2 already or are you wondering which to buy? I know if I had budget for the 804D3 I'd also be considering second hand 803D2 and 802D2s (presuming you have the space). I personally like the sound of the D3s. I'd swap my 802D2 for 802D3s in an instant if I was given the chance.

The thing is, I think the sound is clearer, more accurate from a timing perspective which may sound dry to others I think they sound more realistic, this can also be said when going from aluminium to diamond tweeter, lots of people prefer the old generations. If you like a warm sound you probably are looking at the wrong manufacturer anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• spaceteddy
      • Jan 2011

Thanks for reply :-) The 804S was replaced by the 804D. Maybe you call it 804D2 in US? -which I own. Then the 804D was replaced by the current sold 804D3. That is what the model range is called in Norway. Isn´t that similar in US?
      Anyway, I am listening to the 804D3 at my friends house, but the acoustic there is quite different, so I have no idea how they sound compared directly side by side. I love the sound of the 804D(2) and they suite my room perfect ( 18 m2 ) and there is not room for 802´s here. Wonder if it´s worth upgrade to 804D3? Has anyone compared in same room with the same equipment? Any oplnions?

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

Thanks for reply :-) The 804S was replaced by the 804D. Maybe you call it 804D2 in US? -which I own. Then the 804D was replaced by the current sold 804D3. That is what the model range is called in Norway. Isn´t that similar in US?
        Anyway, I am listening to the 804D3 at my friends house, but the acoustic there is quite different, so I have no idea how they sound compared directly side by side. I love the sound of the 804D(2) and they suite my room perfect ( 18 m2 ) and there is not room for 802´s here. Wonder if it´s worth upgrade to 804D3? Has anyone compared in same room with the same equipment? Any oplnions?
        No, the 804S was replaced by the 804 Diamond, also known as D2, as the 804S was made alongside the larger first gen D models. That's why the D3 is D3 and not D2 Or looking at it from the perspective of a model that has been D longer, 800D was replaced by 800 Diamond (also known as D2, they didn't just change the name and add magnetic grills it was a new model), which was then replaced by the 800D3.

Not sure how the naming works in Norway but I have never heard of something being called 804D other than in assuming that D range=Diamond range which is not the case. I am in the UK by the way, not the US like most members on here

Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• spaceteddy
          • Jan 2011

It's all good. No doubt we are talking about 804 Diamond :-) They are usually called 804D here.

Thanks.

Image IMG 1182 in Bjst's images album

Image IMG 1182 in Bjst's images album

Comment

• TomScrut
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Nov 2013

It's all good. No doubt we are talking about 804 Diamond :-) They are usually called 804D here.

Thanks.

https://ibb.co/eTGRLS
            Yep that's them, D2 series.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"