X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

800 Diamond Series Naming Convention

Reading some posts involving the old and new 800 Series where the diamond tweeter is concerned can be a bit confusing at times. For instance the new 805 Diamond has been labeled everything from 805D, 805Di to 805D2. According to B&W they are referencing the new series as the D2 series for short. So what we have between the old and new series is the following...

OLD SERIES -> NEW SERIES

800D -> 800D2
    801D -> Discontinued
    802D -> 802D2
    803D -> 803D2
    803S -> Discontinued
    804S -> 804D2
    805S -> 805D2

HTM1D -> Discontinued
    HTM2D -> HTM2D2
    HTM3S -> Discontinued
    HTM4S -> HTM4D2

Does anyone object to setting some standards to our posts involving the Diamond Series?
    Last edited by RebelMan; 22 October 2010, 00:28 Friday.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

I believe the agreement was already made and the new ones were to be designated AS "Di" instead of "D".

Comment

• mrciave
      • Apr 2010

I also understood we were going to call the old series 8xxD/S and the new series 8xxDi, but whatever, for me Di or D2 are both fine.

Sadly also the 801D (the fattest and sexiest of the series) is also discontinued :cry: .
      2ch Setup: Esoteric SA-50, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Lingo and Ittok, Benz Ace SL, Gryphon Diablo, B&W 802D, Kubala-Sosna Emotion XLR and Speaker, Purist Audio Dominus power cords with Oyaide C/P-004/046, Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference, Cerapuc, Cerabase, Bybees

Home Theater Setup: Panasonic P50VT50T Plasma, Oppo BDP-95 BD Player with digital optical to Esoteric

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Di just like Lady Di :B
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• garrison
          • Oct 2010

They actually still make the HTM1DI or HTM1D2. It has been installed in a few very serious systems... It's a special order item that only a few places can order for you from my understanding. It was offered to me this week

It is supposed to be huge and very difficult to place in most system rooms... I was told they had installed 3 of them so far out here in cali

Comment

• Pedro
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mrciave
            Sadly also the 801D (the fattest and sexiest of the series) is also discontinued :cry: .
            Yes, probably because didnt sell well, and that´s true, as you wont find so much infos about them in the internet, i mean less than N801 for example. At same time to me the 801D was the best thing B&W did, til the old D series.

Comment

• garrison
              • Oct 2010

well when I upgrade my 803D's to the 802D2's I'm going to do my best to order the HTM1D2. If your going to have the 802's you should have the matching mid range the HTM1 offers.. Just my thoughts

Comment

• JesperA
                • Jul 2009

Come on, Di sounds way better then D2, the rest of the world also uses Di so why change it when everyone already use Di?

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mrciave
                  I over looked that one. It's not mentioned much. OP amended.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by garrison
                    They actually still make the HTM1DI or HTM1D2. It has been installed in a few very serious systems... It's a special order item that only a few places can order for you from my understanding. It was offered to me this week

It is supposed to be huge and very difficult to place in most system rooms... I was told they had installed 3 of them so far out here in cali
                    Did they offer you a second generation or a first generation HTM1 diamond? If it was a first generation then that would have been from old stock.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JesperA
                      Come on, Di sounds way better then D2, the rest of the world also uses Di so why change it when everyone already use Di?
                      Well, not the whole rest of the world. As I mentioned it's been all over the board and very inconsistent. Lady Di probably would have taken offense to being compared to a speaker. OTOH compared to R2D2 and I think you got something. :B So what do you think? Can we make it D2 in honor of the beloved little guy? :P

Comment

• garrison
                        • Oct 2010

I asked my store to sell me 2nd generation. I've asked them about that in the past. You can get a little better deal at some places that have been manufactured but had a small issue that B&W fixed. They come with the same warranty and are considered brand new. Some people call it 2nd generation.. The place I deal with won't place an order on second generation from what I was told. Maybe they just want to sell me the more expensive pieces..HA!

If you place an order B&W, they will specially make a HTM1DI.. Most recent technology.. This is what I've been told.. I actually haven't tried to place the order though. Maybe get a different story when the time comes for me to order one....

Comment

• aarsoe
                          • May 2004

B&W have always done special orders. Only a question of money.
                          As I recall there is even a photo somewhere on this board of a 800D in a non-existing color.
                          I can add that I have personally seen white painted models from the factory..

Comment

• mrciave
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by RebelMan
                            I over looked that one. It's not mentioned much. OP amended.
                            Well, I've always asked myself why in the US forums the 801D was almost never mentioned. From my understanding, at least living here in Italy, the choice between 800D and 801D was a matter of personal taste and choice between one huge woofer or two big ones.

I would have expected that in a country where a 5.7 liter engine is considered a "small block", the 801D could have encountered more fans than the 800D...
                            2ch Setup: Esoteric SA-50, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Lingo and Ittok, Benz Ace SL, Gryphon Diablo, B&W 802D, Kubala-Sosna Emotion XLR and Speaker, Purist Audio Dominus power cords with Oyaide C/P-004/046, Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference, Cerapuc, Cerabase, Bybees

Home Theater Setup: Panasonic P50VT50T Plasma, Oppo BDP-95 BD Player with digital optical to Esoteric

Comment

• Rod#S
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by garrison

Whoa! Thanks for sharing that, I'm in the process of getting a 802Di system priced and it killed me when I heard of the HTM1D not being carried over into the new lineup. I'll ask my dealer what he knows about speical ordering a HTM1Di. If it's not outrageously priced above the HTM1D and it can be ordered I might go that route. It would be easier for me to place than a 3rd 802Di in my system even though a 3rd 802Di is the more ideal approach.
                              B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"