This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpauline
    • Dec 2003

Speakers will be delivered to me tomorrow morning. Oh if I could only skip work for the rest of the day :-)

Comment

• mpauline
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Rod#S
      You should love the HTM2Di, mine is crystal clear without being sharp and has excellent bass extention for a dedicated center. I have mine currently crossed over at 70Hz. Initially I had it set to 60Hz but I got some clipping when watching Tron Legacy on Blu-ray so I raised it up to 70Hz. That was the only title clipping occurred on and I haven't had a problem since going to 70Hz. I would prefer to be able to set the crossover to match my 802Di's but that can't really be done with the HTM2Di, I would need a HTM1D to handle the 50Hz crossover used on my 802Di's.
      What surprised me the most about the HTM2Di is it's ability to blend so well and keep pace with the 802Di's on multichannel music, it does a wonderful job so mated with a pair of 803Di's I suspect you'll be grinning from ear to ear
      When you say you have the cross over set at 70Hz does that mean that you set your mains and center as large?

Going to stop tomorrow and by some new CD's as it seems crazy to have such good speakers and not listen to two channel. Plus I am going to definitely play my U2 concert Bluray to test them out.

Comment

• Rod#S
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by mpauline
        Speakers will be delivered to me tomorrow morning. Oh if I could only skip work for the rest of the day :-)
        I "worked from home" the day my dealer brought over my 802 Diamonds :W
        B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Rod#S
          • Oct 2010

When you say you have the cross over set at 70Hz does that mean that you set your mains and center as large?

Going to stop tomorrow and by some new CD's as it seems crazy to have such good speakers and not listen to two channel. Plus I am going to definitely play my U2 concert Bluray to test them out.
          No, all speakers are set to small so that the crossovers can be set thus allowing all frequencies below the crossover to go elsewhere. I say elsewhere because I have a Lexicon MC-12BV5EQ which handles bass management in a unique way. The way my system works is I have 2 subs set as stereo (they can also be configured as dual mono) and a dedicated LFE sub along with the mains, center and surrounds. I have the mains and surrounds crossed over at 50Hz and the center crossed over at 70Hz. Here is where the Lexicon is unique. Frenquencies in the center that are below 70Hz but greater than or equal to 50Hz get sent to mains and surrounds. The frenquences below 50Hz from the center go to the 2 stereo subs. For the mains and surrounds, frequencies below 50Hz go to the stereo subs. All information in hte .1 channel, regardfless of frequency go to hte LFE sub.

Let us know how things go and more importantly sound and post some pics
          B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• mpauline
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Rod#S
            I "worked from home" the day my dealer brought over my 802 Diamonds :W
            Yes I am thinking of the same plan.

Comment

• Skyblue
              • Jun 2009

Yes I am thinking of the same plan.
              I often work from home often. It so happens my laptop fits perfectly on the small table in front of my speakers

In case of emergency I have an excellent headfi setup at my "big" computer.
              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• mpauline
                • Dec 2003

Yeah baby they are here. Now to listen to them non stop for the entire long weekend. Will be tough to get them half a metre from the side and front wall though. Also I presume that I need to bring out the HTM2Di the same distance as the mains from the front wall. Now I have it a little closer to the screen.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Rod#S
                  • Oct 2010

Very nce. I really like the room and the screen. So do they sound every bit as good as they did at the dealers if not better? You have your speakers spaced very similar to mine by the looks of things.

They will continue to get better as they break in. I found mine started settleing in around the 300 hour mark.

Comment

• mpauline
                    • Dec 2003

Well I cannot say they sound better than at the dealers given the high end equipment he was using. I am very happy with them thus far. They need to break in and my room really needs some acoustical treatment. So far though...AWESOME.

Comment

• Skyblue
                      • Jun 2009

Well I cannot say they sound better than at the dealers given the high end equipment he was using. I am very happy with them thus far. They need to break in and my room really needs some acoustical treatment. So far though...AWESOME.
                      In my experience they will improve little by little for a couple of months at least! So enjoy.

As for distance to the wall, I had mine both out an close to the wall. They are actually not too bad close to the wall either (a feet or so)... Experiment a little..
                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• mpauline
                        • Dec 2003

They seem very easy to drive.

Just listened to U2 360 bluray. All I can say is thank goodness I upgraded as I heard so many sounds that I have not heard and I have watched this thing many times. The sound of the drum cymbal....like I was right there. Can you tell yet that I am excited. Okay back to listening.

Comment

• Skyblue
                          • Jun 2009

They seem very easy to drive.

Just listened to U2 360 bluray. All I can say is thank goodness I upgraded as I heard so many sounds that I have not heard and I have watched this thing many times. The sound of the drum cymbal....like I was right there. Can you tell yet that I am excited. Okay back to listening.
                          B&W 802's. Because you're worth it!

Comment

• htsteve
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Yeah baby they are here.

Also I presume that I need to bring out the HTM2Di the same distance as the mains from the front wall. Now I have it a little closer to the screen.

Excellent! I'm glad you are enjoying them. And it's a nice HT room as well.

I also agree with the center channel idea. That is the best solution if it can be done. Which certainly appears possible in your room.

And room treatments are a great way to improve the system performance without breaking the bank.

Comment

• ninja12
                              • Mar 2007

Yeah baby they are here. Now to listen to them non stop for the entire long weekend. Will be tough to get them half a metre from the side and front wall though. Also I presume that I need to bring out the HTM2Di the same distance as the mains from the front wall. Now I have it a little closer to the screen.
                              Very nice, and yes, room treatments will make your setup sound even better. You can start with Bass Traps for the corners and about 3" to 4" panels to cover the first reflection points. Looks like your back row of seats are close to the rear wall. You will need some thicker absorption, maybe 6" to 8" to put on the rear wall to have tame the bass that will be reflecting from the rear wall. Anyway, take your time and enjoy your system. Congrats!!!!!! :T :T

Comment

• mpauline
                                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ninja12
                                Very nice, and yes, room treatments will make your setup sound even better. You can start with Bass Traps for the corners and about 3" to 4" panels to cover the first reflection points. Looks like your back row of seats are close to the rear wall. You will need some thicker absorption, maybe 6" to 8" to put on the rear wall to have tame the bass that will be reflecting from the rear wall. Anyway, take your time and enjoy your system. Congrats!!!!!! :T :T
                                Thanks for the suggestions. Actually the back row of seats are about 7 feet from the back wall.

How do I figure out the first reflection points? Is there any good websites to review?

Comment

• htsteve
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Actually, you can check your reflections yourself, although I'm sure there are websites that help.

It's a two person job, plus a mirror. One person sits in the listening position. The other person holds a mirror where they think the reflections are. When the person sittting in the listening position can see the midrange driver in the mirror, that's the reflection point. Same process everywhere else.

Reflections are on the side walls, floors and ceilings (in order of importance). Since you have carpeting, the floor reflections are handled. Start at about three feet in front the speakers on the side wall.

After first point reflections are dealt with, the next area are the bass traps (one in each corner behind the 803's will be quite good). Then the back wall, upper corners and side walls.

I use mainly Real Traps. There are other good products as well. I recall someone on the forum found a good set of products in Canada. Do a search to find that thread.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• mpauline
                                    • Dec 2003

Did a search and saw that Stuart did a fantastic job of building his own. I am not that handy. Will try and find some bass traps and some for the side walls.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2009

Mark,

Those were really easy to build.. They cost about $25 each to build with OC 703. I have four more sheets of OC 703 and enough wood to finish up 4 more 2' x 4' panels which would do first reflection points on the side walls. If you want 'em I'd let them go at cost. You would still need to wrap them in a fabric of your choice...

Cheers,

Stuart
                                      Main System:
                                      B&W 801D
                                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                      Oppo BDP-105
                                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                      B&W CM7
                                      Emotiva UMC-1
                                      Emotiva UPA-2
                                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                                        You would still need to wrap them in a fabric of your choice...

An excellent WAF opportunity........

Comment

• ninja12
                                          • Mar 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually the back row of seats are about 7 feet from the back wall.

How do I figure out the first reflection points? Is there any good websites to review?
                                          You can figure out the first reflection points by doing the following:
                                          1. Get a mirror preferrably one that's about 4'.
                                          2. Place the mirror up against the wall located by your main speaker
                                          3. Sit in your listening position
                                          4. Slide the mirror to the point that you can see the front of your speaker. For example, slide the mirror until you can see the front of your LF.
                                          5. Take a piece of painter's tape and put it on the wall in the location of the mirror
                                          6. Repeat this for the Center Channel and the RF Main.
                                          7. Now move the mirror to the other side wall and repeat steps 2 thru 6
                                          8. You want to repeat the above steps for every listening position
                                          9. When you are done, you want to place panels on the side walls that covers the tape. Remove the tape before you put up the panels.

You can look at GIK to get some ideas of acoustic treatments. http://www.gikacoustics.com/index.html

Normally, GIK recommends 242s or 244s for the first reflection points. I believe you can get by withe 242s.

As for the corners, you can get some tri-traps to cover the corners from ceiling to floor. If your ceiling is 8', you will need 2 Tri-Traps per corner because each one is 4'. You can also try 244s or Monster Traps straddled in the corners. My preference is the Tri-Traps. They look better to me.

GIK is one of many places that you can look for acoustic treatments. Real Traps is another.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck to you. :T :T

Comment

• mpauline
                                            • Dec 2003

Just had to add another comment. The diamond tweeters on the 800 series are absolutely fantastic. Just listened to Hilary Hahn's recording of Vaughan Williams "The Lark Ascending". Never heard the triangle with such authentic detail. Spectacular. Thank goodness I did not get the 802's in my house for an audition because these 803's sound great. If I had brought home the 802's and listened to them like this I am sure that I would have wanted to buy them. As it stands with the amount I spent that would have been over my budget.

I think my two channel days are just beginning!
                                            Last edited by mpauline; 02 January 2012, 11:29 Monday.

Comment

• Gremal
                                              • Apr 2007

Just had to add another comment. The diamond tweeters on the 800 series are absolutely fantastic. Just listened to Hilary Hahn's recording of Vaughan Williams "The Lark Ascending". Never heard the triangle with such authentic detail. Spectacular. Thank goodness I did not get the 802's in my house for an audition because these 803's sound great. I think my two channel days are just beginning!
                                              Yes, there is something magical about that diamond tweeter, especially with treble/percussive sounds. The 802 of course brings it to another level with that marlin head assebly. Does just as well in multichannel setups.
                                              Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                              Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                              B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                              VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                              Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• mpauline
                                                • Dec 2003

Mark,

Those were really easy to build.. They cost about $25 each to build with OC 703. I have four more sheets of OC 703 and enough wood to finish up 4 more 2' x 4' panels which would do first reflection points on the side walls. If you want 'em I'd let them go at cost. You would still need to wrap them in a fabric of your choice...

Cheers,

Stuart
                                                Hi Stuart,

That sounds excellent. Will set it up with you via PM.

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

• mpauline
                                                  • Dec 2003

Mark,

Cheers,

Stuart
                                                  PM sent. I will take you up on your offer.

Thanks,
                                                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"