X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevek
    • Oct 2011

804d2 "horror story"

well I finally went and picked up my 804's unboxed them and set them in their spot's, went to turn on my gear and what do I see, one of my diamond tweeters is smashed." WTF" but it gets better the dealer is no longer selling b&w and the ass clown that boxed them up claims he knows he didn't do it."WTF" all I know is somebody better produce the new 1300.00 tweeter and I know I ain't paying for it.
    I will say they still sound good even with the open hole but obviously I am missing a lot

wish me luck on this one, I swear i'm cursed
    Attached Files
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

Very bad one, good luck............

I feel for you.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

That sucks... what a terrible place that they won't stand by what they sell and replace it, or at least.... offer a new one at a discounted price (ie, even though they don't sell it, they'd help pay part of getting a new one)...

I'm surprised you didn't watch them box them or anything just to make sure that there was no issues. That was one of the reasons I didn't go used, not necessarily that I didn't trust the place...but more that one never knows what can happen if you're not there to watch the whole process...

Hopefully you get it all worked out and get back to business (aka listening to tunes)!
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• leo2498
        • Feb 2012

Ohh man that sucks! I recently lost an aluminum tweeter but if this would be a diamond tweeter I don't know what I could do, I saw a pair in 1800 usd in audiogon few week ago if I see again this, I will let you know.
        Leo,
        Saludos
        My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• stevek
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by PewterTA
          That sucks... what a terrible place that they won't stand by what they sell and replace it, or at least.... offer a new one at a discounted price (ie, even though they don't sell it, they'd help pay part of getting a new one)...

I'm surprised you didn't watch them box them or anything just to make sure that there was no issues. That was one of the reasons I didn't go used, not necessarily that I didn't trust the place...but more that one never knows what can happen if you're not there to watch the whole process...

Hopefully you get it all worked out and get back to business (aka listening to tunes)!
          As far as I know they are going replace it but it will cost him 1300.00 and I know that's got to hurt financially but it is what is. His last email to me was that he was reaching out to b&w to see if they would help."lol"In hind sight I should have been there and even thought of coming home and finding damage.I have been dealing with this guy for over 10 years and he has always been good to me lets just hope it works out.

Comment

• stevek
            • Oct 2011

Boy I cant wait to hear these babies with 2 diamond domes.they still sound pretty amazing with 1.

Comment

• stevek
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by stevek
              As far as I know they are going replace it but it will cost him 1300.00 and I know that's got to hurt financially but it is what is. His last email to me was that he was reaching out to b&w to see if they would help."lol"In hind sight I should have been there and even thought of coming home and finding damage.I have been dealing with this guy for over 10 years and he has always been good to me lets just hope it works out.
              Well the new tweeter has arrived courtesy of b&w. does anyone know how to replace the tweeter on this bad boy. I cant find any info on replacing it. I'm not sure if they sent the entire assembly or just the tweeter but either way cant see how it comes off.

Comment

• windshear
                • Dec 2004

Its a fairly simple yet delicate process.I would imagine its the same as for a 800/801/802. On the tweeter tube at the back is an aluminium tube. This is the fastening screw that tightens the tweeter assembly to the case. Loosen it, as it unscrews apply a bit of forward pressure on the tube to allow the tweeter to protrude from the front of the cavity. This allows you to then grip the tweeter. Gently pull the tweeter forward once it is unscrewed. It might feel quite tight depending on how much slack there is on the two attached cables. They might have a cable tie over the assembly which you can slide back. The two connectors will be quite tight on the terminals, so you may need a pair of needle nose pliers to gently pry the connectors off. I cant remember if they have a locking tab on the connectors, have a close look if they don't release. Work slowly and patiently so you don't slip and create any secondary damage. The wires are colour coded and I think the one terminal on the tweeter has a red colour mark to associate the relevant connector. Additionally the connectors are size specific to their own terminals so you wont make a mistake and incorrectly connect the positive or negative terminals. Reverse the process when re-assemblying. The only thing im not sure on is how tight to make the screw. All I can say is don't over tighten it.

Comment

• stevek
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by windshear
                  Its a fairly simple yet delicate process.I would imagine its the same as for a 800/801/802. On the tweeter tube at the back is an aluminium tube. This is the fastening screw that tightens the tweeter assembly to the case. Loosen it, as it unscrews apply a bit of forward pressure on the tube to allow the tweeter to protrude from the front of the cavity. This allows you to then grip the tweeter. Gently pull the tweeter forward once it is unscrewed. It might feel quite tight depending on how much slack there is on the two attached cables. They might have a cable tie over the assembly which you can slide back. The two connectors will be quite tight on the terminals, so you may need a pair of needle nose pliers to gently pry the connectors off. I cant remember if they have a locking tab on the connectors, have a close look if they don't release. Work slowly and patiently so you don't slip and create any secondary damage. The wires are colour coded and I think the one terminal on the tweeter has a red colour mark to associate the relevant connector. Additionally the connectors are size specific to their own terminals so you wont make a mistake and incorrectly connect the positive or negative terminals. Reverse the process when re-assemblying. The only thing im not sure on is how tight to make the screw. All I can say is don't over tighten it.
                  YOU ARE THE MAN. The new tweeter is in and you are correct with every step.The only hassle was getting the wires back on the terminals what a bitch.I managed to get it in without scratching or chipping the finish. Now I can sit back and enjoy.

Comment

• windshear
                    • Dec 2004

Good to hear that it all worked out. Enjoy the sound!

Comment

• Kobus
                      • Aug 2005

Hijack

windshear, where in SA are you?

Comment

• windshear
                        • Dec 2004

Up North where all the pollution is. Jhb.

Comment

• Jerry King
                          • Sep 2013

I know this is an older post but this is a case where using your Credit card would have saved you any grief. As long as you have not paid the speaker off before finding the shipping damage from the dealer or who ever the CC company would stand up for you. Been there a few times over the years.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"