X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

804D Audition/Comparison

I visited two high end AV dealers today to make my final decision as to which pair of speakers I would buy for the stereo system that I'm putting together. This sytem will be used primarily for playing LPs and will initially consist of the following: Aragon 24K II preamp with phono stage, or a Classe CP-500 with a phono preamp; Aragon 8008 stereo amp with 200 watts per channel @ 8 ohms and 400 watts per channel @ 4 ohms; a Rega Planar 3-24 turntable with the optional TT PSU power supply and an Elys 2 phono catridge; a Sony DVP-S9000ES CD/DVD player; a Luxman Tuner; and the new B&W 804D speakers! :T

The four pairs of speakers I listened to included the Totem Acoustic Mani-2 Signatures ($5,295 pair); Focal Chorus 826 V (I believe? The speakers listed for around $8,700); B&W 805D; B&W 804D.

Through my ears at least, I rate them starting at the top/best as:
    1.) B&W 804D
    2.) Totem Acoustic Mani-2 Signature (and, it was driven by an under $1,500 NAD system to boot!)
    3.) Focal 1028 Be
    4.) 805D
    * The B&W and Focal speakers were driven by some preamp that looked so expensive I didn't even want to ask what it was; a pair of MacIntosh 501s; a Teac Esoteric CD player; and very expensive looking interconnects, etc.

4.) 805D: for $5,700 list price including the stands = no thanks. The mids were OK and the tweeter was very good, but there is very limited depth in the lower registers. Frequency response of 49Hz-28kHz with a sensitivity of 88dB tells the story here. The speaker also needed the gain raised in order to get a decent full body sound. IMO, definitely not a standalone speaker to use as the mains, and certainly not without a sub woofer. I think they are great for surrounds, but they are also very expensive for this type of limited duty.

3.) Focal 1028 Be: list price of around $8,700. Manufacturer's link: http://www.focal-fr.com/ The quality build and the finish looked very good. Really a pleasant speaker all around, but nothing that raises my neck hairs or sends a shiver down my spine. I had the sense that the mids and highs did not have as much clarity as do my 803Ds, and do not create as much air or excitement in the upper registers.

I listened to my War CD, and the World is a Ghetto cut where there is a spectacular sax playing throughout most of the song. On my 803Ds in my other setup, the sound of the sax is so intoxicating it feels like it's playing right through your soul. On my system, you can also hear the delightful raspy sound of the saxaphones' reed with utmost clarity. The other thing that was missing, was the extended depth of the lower registers. This CD has some sections that have some real kick, and particularly from the bass drum. Not so much with the Focals. The Focals' woofers were kind of polite and controlled, and also lacked any real excitement for me.

We also listened to a CD by Christina Aguilera whose voice is really exceptional with great range and character. The 800 Diamond Series B&Ws always shine when playing a female voice. I personally think it is one of their best attibutes. With the Focals, her voice came through very good, but again, not spectacular. I also did not like hearing some sections that were straining my ears, and I was having a hard time putting my finger on the culprit. The salesman pointed out that, in his opinion, the Focals seem to place the singer in front of the stage, whereas the B&W 800 Series speakers places the singer on stage, and less in your face sort of speak. I thought this was an interesting observation, which I would agree with 100% when I later listened to the 804Ds.

But, the other thing about the Focal's Beryllium tweeter, is that it just does not have the clarity, and it is not as silky smooth as are B&Ws diamond tweeters.

2.) Totem Acoustic Mani-2 Signature: List price of $5,295 plus the price of stands (?): A great speaker if you play on the louder side much of the time. It has a sensitivity of only 85dB and I would think prefers an amp that can carry it's own weight. What's interesting though, is that the Frequency Response is 29 Hz - 20 kHz ± 3 dB (B&W 805D = 49Hz-28kHz for similar money) from a speaker that is only 8.5 x 16.4 x 12". These speakers have two 6.5" woofers in them (one built inside the speakers). Manufacturer's link: http://totemacoustic.com/english/hi-...pecifications/
    The construction and finish on these speakers is truly exceptional. The wood finish is better than most high end furniture I've seen. It looks like how goods were made back in the day, and by real craftsmen who actually cared about what they make. These speakers make any B&W speakers look like they were made in Detroit, for lack of any other better comparison.

The sound is exceptional even from their modified aluminum tweeter. I did sense some areas where there was a bit of harshness on some of the highs, but, I may have to blame the NAD system in this case. These speakers just did too many things exceptionally well to find any real fault with them. BUT, you have to play them at decent volume levels to let them be all that they can be, AND, I like to listen at lower levels more times than not.

The bass is truly exceptional from speakers this size, and in fact, they had a better presentation in the lower registers than I found with the much larger Focals, believe it or not. The bass is strong and has guts. I know I was surprised.

The mid ranges are very, very good... and female voices sound NEARLY as good as do the B&Ws', but just not quite as good the more you listen.

These speakers would look and do great in an apartment with a minimalist decor. Because of their size, I think their sound may get swallowed up a bit in a room that is dead sounding from too much furniture, etc. For this reason, I decided to buy the next speaker on my list.

1.) B&W 804D: List price of $7,500. Sorry, and I don't want to offend anyone, but the piano black looks cheap, particularly since I saw just about every speaker in Best Buy in pianio black, regardless of manufacturer. IMO, their previous black ash has the look of much higher quality and craftsmanship as compared to the piano black. The PB looks OK from a distance, but up close no thanks. I ordered my pair in cherry.

I listened to the 804Ds last, and up until I did, I was really not totally excited about any of the speakers. Each had their good points, and I'm not saying that I would have kicked any of them out of bed, but none of them completely stood out and screamed that they could do it all...that is until I listened to the 804Ds. I fell in love with them almost immediately too!

I was very pleased that they had a lot of personality overall, and particularly in the lower registers. But, I was awestruck when I heard the mids and highs. It was just truly great. We listened to all of the same music selections as I had heard through the other speakers, and every issue that I had with the others just disappeared with the 804Ds. Except for their smaller size as compared to my 803Ds, I have to say that I prefer these new speakers overall. These really have a beautiful sounding open spirit.

For the room and system that I am currently putting together, I am excited that these babies will be exceptional. They have more clarity and are also smoother in the upper registers than my current 803Ds. I didn't think it was possible, but B&W did raise their sound to a higher level. The salesman I was working with feels that B&W spent more time on refining the drivers and the crossovers on these speakers, and the difference definitely lies within.

They also made their floor standing diamond series speakers more efficient, with a sensitivity of 90db, and with a frequency range of 38Hz to 28kHz for the 804D.

PS: The grills on the 800 Series are held on with magnets. They work great on these speakers and are on the difficult side of pulling them off. On the CM8 and CM9 speakers that I saw in Best Buy, their grills are also held on by magnets, but they make it too easy to remove the grill, and in fact, the grill just falls off if you brush against it.
    Last edited by beden1; 12 October 2010, 11:22 Tuesday.
  • dukester
    • Sep 2010

Congrats on the new speakers! Interesting to me that you feel they are better than your 803Ds (non-diamond i presume). Also interesting that the Totem's paired with the NAD (model?) rated higher than the 805's paired with a Mac. Curious that you did not audition the new 803D's? I agree with your PB comments...high maintenance in the long run as well. The cherry's will blend well with pretty much everything, and i like the contrast with the woofers. My dealer had a pair of CM 7 or 8's in PB and made the same comment when i bought my set; the magnets on the Diamonds are very strong, unlike the CM's..."they'll come off if you brush up against them". Maybe the standards aren't as strict in China as they are in England? 8O In any case, congrats again :T
    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hallo Brooks,
      Great choice. I have in a old post write that the 804D was to be listen.
      And like mewith the 803DI (in place at the 803D as front end) have a big surprise! the B&W work is very good. the 803D/804D are 2 speakers very fine, with a mid/tweeter soo fine, amazing...never before!
      I have the "boomy phanton" forgot with this new DI or?!?

from the speaker that you have test the Toten was a alternative to the 805D...but the can't nothing with a 804d....other level...I have listen Vienna speakers to a extra setup for turntable and I thnk is a good choice vs. a B&W CM9 serie (in switzerland are ca. at the same price... - vienna beethoven concert vs. cm9..) but is another point...

You made the best choice for me. wehn I had receive the new 803DI i don't believe was possible so a big different: the new DI is very open sound, pult-clean, many surgeons. and I like it.

enjoy with your new system!!!

You can only immagine to have a 803DI in place of the 803D... Brooks, you will have a great surprise.
      with the new 803DI my SSP800 "as tilt" all the was no more a the right choice: the sound is sooo open that with the new 803DI they made tilt to my SSP800. All adjustments were not good. for this new sound so open with 10db. difference of the new series need less watts? or equal power output in the result is very different. if you had first 65db. as standart for a hearing "quiet" hours 55db. give you the same result!

Over the color I have the rosenut in place of the oiano black that from B&W is not at the level from the other "brand". I'm a B&W fan but is true. the Focal in PB is better.

But you have listen the 803DI too or? this for your 1° system fir the Classe 350 amplifier....? Never think that whit a 803DI you go have a impotartant upgrade? I have choice the 803DI vs. a 802D old serie and with a satisfaction!

the 805DI are expensive, add the stand and the difference in price with the 804d is not justified .... (In Swiss 805DI = Chf. 6800 + Chf. 600 for the stand vs. Chf. 10500 to get the 804D) some not so small a difference to performance but very impotant! certainly not just small but very differnt: with this money you go have a right speaker!!!
      A real speaker.of course for a Main speaker for the front end not for a surround speaker! as ourround the "old" but very goo 805S is enought.
      if ,like my with a 805S at home and used as rear sell the 805S for around $. 1800 and go pay so much $$ only to have a 805D as rear i?!?!no thanks.
      is a choice that only you can do if the $$$ are really an option!

I prefer to spend this money for other things: a reader Marantz, Esoteric, ..with a turntable ... Or go towards the direction of a stereo system only with the 804D did Beden1!

Brooks thx for your impression an give a feed back.

You have the cherry correct? = the Rosenut was not the best and more

you chose the cherry clear... the Rosenut was not a better choice? not find that integrates easily with existing furniture & Co. as well as being less sensitive to sunlight that brings change in color of cabinet enough important/notable?

ps. the cover with the magnet is not bad...personly I dont go use my speaker without this "protection", the only one agreanle option can be have a cover only for the midrange and have the woofer at full open view : for the look is a "plus"... but is a very personal taste..

greeting Omar

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beden1
        805D: for $5,700 list price including the stands = no thanks.
        Totally agree! What have B&W done with their prices?
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Industrial
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by mjb
          Yea, when I saw the 805Di I asked my dealer if the price included the stands. When he said no, the 804Di looked much nicer.

Comment

• Industrial
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by dukester
            t; the magnets on the Diamonds are very strong, unlike the CM's..."they'll come off if you brush up against them". Maybe the standards aren't as strict in China as they are in England? 8O In any case, congrats again :T
            I have what I believe one of the last sets of the CM series that was still made in England. The grills still come off if someone brushes against them. It does give me an excuse to say "woa your way too close back away"

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Congrats on the new speakers! Interesting to me that you feel they are better than your 803Ds (non-diamond i presume). Also interesting that the Totem's paired with the NAD (model?) rated higher than the 805's paired with a Mac. Curious that you did not audition the new 803D's? I agree with your PB comments...high maintenance in the long run as well. The cherry's will blend well with pretty much everything, and i like the contrast with the woofers. My dealer had a pair of CM 7 or 8's in PB and made the same comment when i bought my set; the magnets on the Diamonds are very strong, unlike the CM's..."they'll come off if you brush up against them". Maybe the standards aren't as strict in China as they are in England? 8O In any case, congrats again :T
              I have the 803Ds in another system. I won't be able to audition them side-by-side as they are in FL, but, there is something about the new 804Ds that was much more satisfying.

The dealer had sold their floor demo 803Dis the day before and were waiting for a replacement set, so I was not able to listen to them. I did not want to pay that much money for this setup though. I actually wanted to pay much less than I did for the 804Ds, but they just sounded so great and I wouldn't have been satisfied with anything less once I heard them.

I would hope my 803Ds would produce more bass than the new 804Ds, but I didn't feel there was anything lacking while listening to the 804Ds.

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
                Hallo Brooks,
                Great choice. I have in a old post write that the 804D was to be listen.
                And like mewith the 803DI (in place at the 803D as front end) have a big surprise! the B&W work is very good. the 803D/804D are 2 speakers very fine, with a mid/tweeter soo fine, amazing...never before!
                I have the "boomy phanton" forgot with this new DI or?!?

You made the best choice for me. wehn I had receive the new 803DI i don't believe was possible so a big different: the new DI is very open sound, pult-clean, many surgeons. and I like it.

enjoy with your new system!!!

Over the color I have the rosenut in place of the oiano black that from B&W is not at the level from the other "brand". I'm a B&W fan but is true. the Focal in PB is better.

Brooks thx for your impression an give a feed back.

You have the cherry correct? = the Rosenut was not the best and more
                you chose the cherry clear... the Rosenut was not a better choice? not find that integrates easily with existing furniture & Co. as well as being less sensitive to sunlight that brings change in color of cabinet enough important/notable?

ps. the cover with the magnet is not bad...personly I dont go use my speaker without this "protection", the only one agreanle option can be have a cover only for the midrange and have the woofer at full open view : for the look is a "plus"... but is a very personal taste..

greeting Omar
                Hi Omar,

Thanks and you were right. These new series speakers sound wonderful! :T

I decided on the Cherry after seeing the piano black, and they will match well with the teak furniture we have in the basement where I'm setting up this system. My 703s in FL are also cherry and their color has mellowed nicely since I bought them about 4-5 years ago. I also like the Rosenut but they were not in stock to be delivered by next week from B&W.

I fixed the boomy sounds I was getting out of the speakers I'm currently using, by repositioning them away from the walls and moving some furniture. I think the 804Ds will be just fine now and shouldn't have any issues, hopefully.

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Industrial
                  I have what I believe one of the last sets of the CM series that was still made in England. The grills still come off if someone brushes against them. It does give me an excuse to say "woa your way too close back away"
                  Hold onto your CM Series built in England, as IMO, they are much better quality than the ones from China!

B&W needs to start using the same magnets in the CM Series as they do in the 800 Series, as they actually work well.

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                    I was happy to get a nice break on the price for the 804Ds which really helped me make my final decision to buy them. The dealer just launched a special promotion where you can trade in any speaker (no matter what it is), and get a 20% discount off of any speaker from any of the manufacturers' lines that they carry. :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Congrats on your new 804Di's, Beden1! :T

Fantastic Audition/Comparison too. Enjoyed reading it. Most informative. I sense that you are going to really enjoy your new speakers. If I don't see you around here too much, I'll know why.

Comment

• dukester
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Industrial
                        Just as well since the CM's are too much of a work of art to cover up...beautiful speaker.
                        McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• Tony1
                          • Sep 2007

Beden1,

Thanks for your review. I was thinking about getting the 804Di but the problem I face is that dealers in my area do not break them in properly. I went to a local dealer to audition the 804di's and to me the high end was louder then mids and low end which may be due to them not being broken in. The salesman did say there weren't a lot of hours on them. I asked if he would break them in and I'll come back to listen to them and he didn't seem to want to do that. Did the dealer break in the 804di's you heard?

I currently have (4)805s's, HTM2d and ASW825. I was considering getting (4)804Di's. I still want to audition some other speakers like Paradigm S6, Focal etc before making this big purchase. But the problem that I face is that dealer's do not properly break them in so you can't do a proper audition.

Thanks,

Tony

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Tony1
                            Beden1,

Thanks for your review. I was thinking about getting the 804Di but the problem I face is that dealers in my area do not break them in properly. I went to a local dealer to audition the 804di's and to me the high end was louder then mids and low end which may be due to them not being broken in. The salesman did say there weren't a lot of hours on them. I asked if he would break them in and I'll come back to listen to them and he didn't seem to want to do that. Did the dealer break in the 804di's you heard?

I currently have (4)805s's, HTM2d and ASW825. I was considering getting (4)804Di's. I still want to audition some other speakers like Paradigm S6, Focal etc before making this big purchase. But the problem that I face is that dealer's do not properly break them in so you can't do a proper audition.

Thanks,

Tony
                            The dealer said the speakers had about 500 hours on them. I was initially thinking about buying and taking that pair home because I was excited and I'm an impulse buyer. The salesman talked me out of doing so, and said he would prefer that I get a brand new pair as these had been moved constantly from room to room.

The pair that I heard were balanced top to bottom, but your ears may hear them differently than mine. I have to say though, that the 804Di was the first pair of B&W speakers that I heard where I could find no fault. I was very, very pleasantly surprised.

If possible, I think you should do the same thing I did and try to listen to a number of speakers the same day, and leave the 804Ds to the end. It really helped me appreciate them in the end result.

I listened to the Paradigm S8s before and I did want to hear the S6s. That dealer was going to be my next stop, but I was getting worn out after listening to different speakers for about 6 hours. I did not spend as much time with the S8s as I would have liked to about 2-3 weeks ago. I remember the bass was excellent, and possibly too strong for the room where I'm setting up my system. The S6s possibly would have been a better match. I loved their center channel C5, and felt it was one of the best center channel speakers I've heard. I really think that the Paradigm S6 or S8s along with their C5 would make a kick ass HT speaker system.

The other reason I decided to pass on the Paradigms, was that their resale values are not very good, particularly as compared to the B&W 800 Series speakers of every generation. But, and particularly if you are considering the Focals, I would definitely spend equal time with the Paradigms, as they now share the same tweeter composition and the Paradigms are much more affordable. I think they may be a better bang for the buck over the Focals.

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                              Congrats on your new 804Di's, Beden1! :T

Fantastic Audition/Comparison too. Enjoyed reading it. Most informative. I sense that you are going to really enjoy your new speakers. If I don't see you around here too much, I'll know why.
                              Thanks for the good wishes, and I'm glad you liked my write up. I am definitely going to enjoy my listening sessions, but right now I'm having a lot of fun organizing and putting together this system. :T

Comment

• Tony1
                                • Sep 2007

What is your opinion on the mids and highs of the Paradigm S8 vs the 804di?

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

Did you like the Paradigm C5 center better than HTM2d?
                                  Yes I do, as I feel it is better balanced and produces a larger sound stage. I'd hate to say this, but I think the HTM2D (I have not heard the new series HTM2D) has too much clarity for a center channel speaker (particularly when driven through the Classe SSP-800) and it sounds unnatural to me sometimes. Particularly with voices, as I don't think we are used to such clarity in a real world environment.

The Beryllium tweeter, IMO, is a bit softer and does not have as much clarity as does the diamond tweeter, so I really think it works better for center channel duty.

I strongly believe that the B&W 800 Diamond Series speakers are better for music, however. People say that a speaker that's great for music is also great for HT. I really don't agree, although I wish this was the case as it would be easier and cheaper to put a system together that can do both great.

Try listening to the Paradigm S8 with the C5 and let me know if you agree. If I were setting up another dedicated HT system, I think I would probably go with the Paradigms.
                                  Last edited by beden1; 09 October 2010, 23:22 Saturday.

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

What is your opinion on the mids and highs of the Paradigm S8 vs the 804di?
                                    804D = clarity and beauty
                                    S8 = smoothness and body
                                    I would definitely want to listen to that little girl Jackie Evancho that was the opera singer on America has talent through the 804D than I would the Paradigms. I would imagine that I died and went to heaven.

I would rather listen to the judges voices through the S8s.

The S8s also seems to have more power at the lower registers than do the 804Ds, which again, is perfectly suited for HT.

* I just checked the Paradigm brochure for the specs on the S8: Sensitivity is 92 dB which is very good, and the low frequency extension response is 26Hz. I really don't know what Low fequency extension means, because the listed frequency for the speakers is 42Hz-45 kHz which is not as good as the 804Ds. I find this puzzling as the S8 has four 7" woofers?
                                    Last edited by beden1; 10 October 2010, 12:16 Sunday.

Comment

• emig5m
                                      • Aug 2008

I'd like to get the 804Di and 804S in the same room, same system. If anyone in the New Jersey area has the 804Di that would want to directly compare to the previous 804S for shits and giggles, I'd be willing to box my speakers up and bring them over to compare under the same environment.

They also made their floor standing diamond series speakers more efficient, with a sensitivity of 90db, and with a frequency range of 38Hz to 28kHz for the 804D.
                                      Um no... the 804S is 38Hz-20kHz +-2dB and a sensitivity of 90dB - Same efficiency.

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by emig5m
                                        I'd like to get the 804Di and 804S in the same room, same system. If anyone in the New Jersey area has the 804Di that would want to directly compare to the previous 804S for shits and giggles, I'd be willing to box my speakers up and bring them over to compare under the same environment.

Um no... the 804S is 38Hz-20kHz +-2dB and a sensitivity of 90dB - Same efficiency.
                                        You're right...sorry about that. I thought my 803Ds had a sensitivity of 87dB, but in fact they also had the same frequency response of 35Hz – 28kHz ±3dB and a sensitivity of 90dB spl (2.83V, 1m) as do the new series.

Comment

• ullodea
                                          • Oct 2010

Thanks for the detailed write-up Beden1, I've been craving some real world comparison of these. Please do let us know how they sound once set up at home...

Comment

• style
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Feb 2006

@emig5m,

the frequency from the 804S et 804Di over the papier can be the tha same but the sound is very, very different!!
                                            this 2 speakers are not simlar: only the name can think that that they are fast tge same but is very another planet (the DI).

the 804S is a good speaker but dont can nothing vs. the 804Dand not only the tweeter: the new DI have really another sond fron HFt he the LF.
                                            the number over the paper have really nothing to do...are simlar like wrote but the papieris 1 thing the reak aounds another...
                                            style

Comment

• specialized
                                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by style
                                              @emig5m,

the frequency from the 804S et 804Di over the papier can be the tha same but the sound is very, very different!!
                                              this 2 speakers are not simlar: only the name can think that that they are fast tge same but is very another planet (the DI).

the 804S is a good speaker but dont can nothing vs. the 804Dand not only the tweeter: the new DI have really another sond fron HFt he the LF.
                                              the number over the paper have really nothing to do...are simlar like wrote but the papieris 1 thing the reak aounds another...
                                              style

When i was buying my 803s i had a chance to compared 805s, 804s and 803s in same time.. I picked 803s, and later i wanted 804s as rears but not on stock any more so i got 805s (I wanted to 804s becouse of blue rays and to better match with fst of htm3s and 803s).

As front speakers i found 804s to lack bass and to sound thin ( i even prefered 805s becouse had better imaging). I have not chance to listen new 804Di, but except maybe better highs, just based on paper specification becouse volume is same as 804s, fst driver and bass are the same i cant believe that new crossover components and diamond tweater sound that much better then 804s. Im almost sure that except better highs there is not that much difference to be justify that much price change between 804s and 804di. Also im sure that for same amount of money u can get better results with 804s and better amplification then with 804di and less amplification. Maybe im wrong becouse i didnt have chance to listen, but for now i think B&W just have good marketing and they want to make more money on new models (Cheaper wood word production compared to old one). Also the same story with new Classe Monoblocks. But that different topic in different room on forum

greetings

Darko

p.s. About the highs also it's possible to settle things in proper way with picking right cables.. I would respect forum rule not to mention brands, but i had a great results with one pair made from carbon.. The highs in my S tweeters became much more airy and not harsh.. Also different tubes in my preamp do different sound as well. My friend have 803D and Classe SSP800. I have McIntosh C2300 and 803s, and he say that he prefer sound in my room compared to his setup.. Also my room is hyper bright (no carpers, plain windows, and glass tables)

Comment

• beden1
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by specialized
                                                When i was buying my 803s i had a chance to compared 805s, 804s and 803s in same time.. I picked 803s, and later i wanted 804s as rears but not on stock any more so i got 805s (I wanted to 804s becouse of blue rays and to better match with fst of htm3s and 803s).

As front speakers i found 804s to lack bass and to sound thin ( i even prefered 805s becouse had better imaging). I have not chance to listen new 804Di, but except maybe better highs, just based on paper specification becouse volume is same as 804s, fst driver and bass are the same i cant believe that new crossover components and diamond tweater sound that much better then 804s. Im almost sure that except better highs there is not that much difference to be justify that much price change between 804s and 804di. Also im sure that for same amount of money u can get better results with 804s and better amplification then with 804di and less amplification. Maybe im wrong becouse i didnt have chance to listen, but for now i think B&W just have good marketing and they want to make more money on new models (Cheaper wood word production compared to old one). Also the same story with new Classe Monoblocks. But that different topic in different room on forum

greetings

Darko

p.s. About the highs also it's possible to settle things in proper way with picking right cables.. I would respect forum rule not to mention brands, but i had a great results with one pair made from carbon.. The highs in my S tweeters became much more airy and not harsh.. Also different tubes in my preamp do different sound as well. My friend have 803D and Classe SSP800. I have McIntosh C2300 and 803s, and he say that he prefer sound in my room compared to his setup.. Also my room is hyper bright (no carpers, plain windows, and glass tables)
                                                Darko,

I think you need to listen to the new 800 diamond series speakers before you make any comments doubting their validity. I really liked the 803S, but it was not in the same ballpark as the 803D which I ended up buying, IMO. The 804S was on a lesser plane altogether, but a decent speaker just the same.

The new 804Di may be better overall than my 803Ds, but I wll withold judgement until I have some time with them in mhy home. I don't know what they did, but B&W worked some magic with this speaker.

Go listen with your ears and go in with an open mind. I think you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was after hearing a few tunes.
                                                Last edited by beden1; 10 October 2010, 19:47 Sunday.

Comment

• specialized
                                                  • Apr 2008

Darko,

I
                                                  Go listen with your ears and go in with an open mind. I think you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was after hearing a few tunes.

Yes That's why i say based just on paper specification and before i listen.. I'll definitly post my opinion when i listen them. Still i think the price is too step.. But maybe when i listen them i'll change mind and maybe i'll think the price is even low for that magic

And dont get me wrong.. I didnt say 803S is better then 803D. Just say that in my room my setup sound better then my friend 803D. That fact based on our listening (totaly open minded, and not based on reviews 803D is better then 803S) made me thinking that sometimes even with cheaper components but properly choosed (room , cables, electronics), can sound better then more expensive one..Of course there is doubt how 803D will sound in my room, but becouse im satisfied from the sound for now, i'll upgrade the electronics and not the speakers.. The same story about dac that im using.. I bought Musical Fidelity V-DAC without listening, and my plan was to use it on my laptop (optical out), and for main listening to get Benchmark DAC. But when i tried using it as main dac i found it's very good and that i dont have desire to try better ones and that i really enjoy the music.. (im sure there is better one, but im on level that i really enjoy the music) So now becouse satisfied level of hardware is reached im just listening more music instead of comparing hardware..(I found my self for two years every day i was trying more and more hardware and found out that actualy im listening hardware and not music). And another open minded notice.. V-DAC sound better with Pioneer DVD DV-610AV then with Rotel RCD-1072.. RCD-1072 is on on sale but nobody want to buy So maybe i'll use it in my bed room with CM1 speakers.

Greetings

Darko

p.s. What is u'r room size? If its smaller room im sure 804D would sound better then 803D. But if u have medium to big room im really interested in u'r opinion 804Di vs 803D

Comment

• beden1
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2006

Yes
                                                    p.s. What is u'r room size? If its smaller room im sure 804D would sound better then 803D. But if u have medium to big room im really interested in u'r opinion 804Di vs 803D
                                                    I won't be able to do a side-by-side comparison between the new 804Di and my 803Ds as they are in different locations (PA & FL).

My 803Ds are in a very large room (34'Lx16'Wx26'H) and perform extremely well. The 804Ds are going in a room in the basement with suspended ceilings (17'Lx15'Wx7.5'H). I will only be able to sit about 7' from the speakers here.

I'm thinking that the 804Ds will do better in a smaller room size.

PS: If you are happy with your 803S speakers, I would not even listen to the new 804Di. Why even chance that you would become unhappy with your current speakers if you felt the new ones were better after hearing them?

Comment

• specialized
                                                      • Apr 2008

I won't be able to do a side-by-side comparison between the new 804Di and my 803Ds as they are in different locations (PA & FL).

My 803Ds are in a very large room (34'Lx16'Wx26'H) and perform extremely well. The 804Ds are going in a room in the basement with suspended ceilings (17'Lx15'Wx7.5'H). I will only be able to sit about 7' from the speakers here.

I'm thinking that the 804Ds will do better in a smaller room size.

PS: If you are happy with your 803S speakers, I would not even listen to the new 804Di. Why even chance that you would become unhappy with your current speakers if you felt the new ones were better after hearing them?

Just to find out if i'm happy or not Still. even if i like them they are not on plan for upgrading.. My next thing would be the amps..

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• dukester
                                                        • Sep 2010

Just to find out if i'm happy or not Still. even if i like them they are not on plan for upgrading.. My next thing would be the amps..

Greetings

Darko
                                                        No doubt you are happy with your 803s'...but safe to say that you may feel you'd be HAPPIER with the Diamonds once you audition them. A challenge for you would be to bring your 803s' in for a side-by-side audition, to eliminate any doubt...that i'd love to hear.

Comment

• beden1
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2006

No doubt you are happy with your 803s'...but safe to say that you may feel you'd be HAPPIER with the Diamonds once you audition them. A challenge for you would be to bring your 803s' in for a side-by-side audition, to eliminate any doubt...that i'd love to hear.
                                                          That's why I stay away from auto dealers and A/V stores unless I am really ready to buy something. If not, I just get frustrated and unhappy with what I have.

When the salesman first turned on the 804Ds I thought to myself, Holy S_ it these suckers sound fantastic! :E

Comment

• specialized
                                                            • Apr 2008

Too complicated But i would like if someone give me 804D to compare side by side with my 803s in my room and with my electronics and cables Until that moment...

Darko

p.s. Still if i upgrade i'll definitly go with 803Di or 802Di

Comment

• emig5m
                                                              • Aug 2008

That fact based on our listening (totaly open minded, and not based on reviews 803D is better then 803S) made me thinking that sometimes even with cheaper components but properly choosed (room , cables, electronics), can sound better then more expensive one..
                                                              Yup, anyone remember my experience with the 803D I walked away from for a mere $4800 near brand new because my 683's where outperforming them? :E I also wound up with 804S because I wanted more of a match for room size...

Listen? Hell, this forum alone can be bad enough to make you want to upgrade let alone listening to them! :E

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by emig5m
                                                                Yup, anyone remember my experience with the 803D I walked away from for a mere $4800 near brand new because my 683's where outperforming them? :E
                                                                Under what possible circumstance could the 683's outperform the 803Ds?

$4,800 for a "near brand new" pair of 803Ds? Were they being sold from the backside of a white van in the parking lot? :jawdrop:

Comment

• emig5m
                                                                  • Aug 2008

$4,800 for a "near brand new" pair of 803Ds? Were they being sold from the backside of a white van in the parking lot?

Seller on Audiogon - drove two hours to his house on Long Island.

Under what possible circumstance could the 683's outperform the 803Ds?
                                                                  803Ds where in a somewhat unfinished theater room in the basement. One speaker was directly in the corner and the other was on the front wall, but with no side wall (side of room was wide open to another area). No furniture except three theater chairs and bare walls everywhere with real thin carpet on top of concrete. My 683s where in a well dampened room full of furniture (where I actually put dual layers of the thickest under padding I could get under the carpet) with a precisely dialed in sweet spot to give you headphone level of fine minute details and proper stereo imaging.

I had cash in my hand but the seller wouldn't let me move the speakers to try to dial in a good sweet spot. Speakers where mint and no more than a year old (had receipts) and said I could inspect the speakers with a magnifying glass! However, even at the amazing deal of $4800 for the pair (I negotiated for two weeks to talk down from the original $6200 asking price and he wanted a local pickup and didn't want to ship) but I just wasn't hearing "$4800" worth of sound quality and it just put the doubt into my head that it just wasn't worth it and they where just a prestige ornament for rich or clueless wannabe people than anything better that I could accomplish with my low end range. They where even running on a Classe power amp!

A few weeks later I demoed the 804S at a B&W dealer in a treated room with a precise sweet spot dialed in and it was a night and day difference for the better. Even got to drag the 683s into the same room for back to back comparison. Even though the 803D would of been to big for my room, if I could go back in time, I would buy them just to play with for a bit and then resell them for a profit! They where a guaranteed profit maker! 8O

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

And dont get me wrong.. I didnt say 803S is better then 803D. Just say that in my room my setup sound better then my friend 803D. That fact based on our listening (totaly open minded, and not based on reviews 803D is better then 803S) made me thinking that sometimes even with cheaper components but properly choosed (room , cables, electronics), can sound better then more expensive one..Of course there is doubt how 803D will sound in my room, but becouse im satisfied from the sound for now, i'll upgrade the electronics and not the speakers..
                                                                    Wise man to stick with the 803S and upgrade the electronics, they need supreme gear to sound their best. There's plenty left to be had from them. If it makes you feel any better, it took the 800D to be the all round worthy successor to my 803S when I had them.

Sorry beden1 the 803S is superior to the 803D in time coherence and tonal balance. The 803D shows its prowess with most material at the highest and lowest registers but in so doing exacerbates a thickening and chesty presence region. I suspect the 804D2 will deliver the coup de grâce to the 803D especially when female vocals are concerned (and I do agree with you that female vocals are B&W's greatest forte). BTW, great review. I especially enjoyed your take on the Totems. I have always found their models to be of shockingly good performance, design and value. Thanks for sharing. :T
                                                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• dukester
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2010

That's why I stay away from auto dealers and A/V stores unless I am really ready to buy something. If not, I just get frustrated and unhappy with what I have.

When the salesman first turned on the 804Ds I thought to myself, Holy S_ it these suckers sound fantastic! :E
                                                                      Amen to that. I was happy (no perfectly) with my 683's when i heard the 803Di's...game over. Am I perfectly happy now? Pretty close, for a while at least...and as long as I stay away from B&W dealers Until then I'll follow Specialized's lead and focus on my next amp.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                        Wise man to stick with the 803S and upgrade the electronics, they need supreme gear to sound their best. There's plenty left to be had from them. If it makes you feel any better, it took the 800D to be the all round worthy successor to my 803S when I had them.

Sorry beden1 the 803S is superior to the 803D in time coherence and tonal balance. The 803D shows its prowess with most material at the highest and lowest registers but in so doing exacerbates a thickening and chesty presence region. I suspect the 804D2 will deliver the coup de grâce to the 803D especially when female vocals are concerned (and I do agree with you that female vocals are B&W's greatest forte). BTW, great review. I especially enjoyed your take on the Totems. I have always found their models to be of shockingly good performance, design and value. Thanks for sharing. :T
                                                                        Thanks for your feedback. :T

I actually find a "thickening and chesty" character more from the HTM2D than I do from the 803Ds. It may be because I am powering the 803Ds with the CAM-350s? The SSP-800 really helped to open these speakers as well.

I also feel that many speakers do some things very well and some things good but not excellent, and it's tough to find one that does everything well south of a very serious financial investment. The room's acoustics also plays a large role as you well know.

I would be very interested in your impressions on B&Ws new Diamond Series speakers. I will have to spend time listening to the 804Di speakers when I get them home in order to flush out my initial very positive reactions. But, the sound does seem to have opened with less constraint and is much more delightful overall.

Comment

• specialized
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2008

Amen to that. I was happy (no perfectly) with my 683's when i heard the 803Di's...game over. Am I perfectly happy now? Pretty close, for a while at least...and as long as I stay away from B&W dealers Until then I'll follow Specialized's lead and focus on my next amp.

U dont want to hear my opinion about 683 That's how my story started.. If u search my old posts u'l find out my comparation between 683, CM7, 804s, 803s, 805s (all these speakers i had at home). I decided to buy the pair that sound good at my place and that i had a chance to listen at my place.. Maybe if i had a chance to compare 803s and 803D maybe i'll prefer 803D i dont know (to compare at my place and with my electronics/cables).
                                                                          Anyway i find out that there is a big difference from B&W 703 speakers and up compared to CM and 600 series. (I somehow miss that 703 is not produced anymore, it was very good sounding speaker.. Speaker with character, I even prefered compared to 804s. Maybe based becouse i didnt have good enough good electronics to get more from 804s in that time)

Still many of us didnt reached the maximum of the things we have and we just want to upgrade. THere is a big upgrade in sound if we reach the proper level of aplification/cables/source... I found out that balance is the proper thing in good sounding setup. I had a chance to listen B&W 800 driven by McIntosh 1201 monoblocks and mcintosh preamp, Kimber cables.. But in 12 square meters room.. And guess what.. It sounded very bad.. So Balance and proper speakers for proper room.. And many of us also forget that the point of good sounding setup is to listen the music. When we reach satisfactory level of enjoyment instead of spending money for upgrade that maybe we dont need spend on more music that we need

Darko

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                            • 992

Just a correction to the original post, the focal quoted doesn't infact have a beryllium tweeter. If looking for a counterpart to the 805D or 804D you need to indpfact hear the. Focal BE models in The 1008BE and 1028BE. My experience recently suggests the focal infact have a warmer sound to them, and the top end is cleaner, smoother. Ofcourse these things really down to personal preference.

Some of these things system dependent as well, so really worth checking out at the very least in your own context to decide.
                                                                            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• beden1
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2006
                                                                              • 1676

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by alebonau
                                                                              Just a correction to the original post, the focal quoted doesn't infact have a beryllium tweeter. If looking for a counterpart to the 805D or 804D you need to indpfact hear the. Focal BE models in The 1008BE and 1028BE. My experience recently suggests the focal infact have a warmer sound to them, and the top end is cleaner, smoother. Ofcourse these things really down to personal preference.

Some of these things system dependent as well, so really worth checking out at the very least in your own context to decide.
                                                                              I will call the salesman to get the Focal model number, but the speaker we listened to had the Beryllium tweeter. We were talking about the differences between the Beryllium and the diamond tweeters while we were listening. It looked like the Electra 1038 Be: http://www.focal-fr.com/

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2006
                                                                                • 1676

#40

The impression that one's own ears creates is the only measure that matters. But, did you base your observations comparing the Focal Be speakers to the new B&W Diamond Series?

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2006
                                                                                  • 1676

#41
                                                                                  I just got confirmation from the salesman that the Focal speakers we listened to were the Focal 1028 Be.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3139

#42
                                                                                    I actually find a "thickening and chesty" character more from the HTM2D than I do from the 803Ds. It may be because I am powering the 803Ds with the CAM-350s? The SSP-800 really helped to open these speakers as well.

I also feel that many speakers do some things very well and some things good but not excellent, and it's tough to find one that does everything well south of a very serious financial investment. The room's acoustics also plays a large role as you well know.
                                                                                    Absolutely agree on every point. Amplification might help but it would require something on the order of an HTM1D to address the failings of the HTM2D.

I would be very interested in your impressions on B&Ws new Diamond Series speakers. I will have to spend time listening to the 804Di speakers when I get them home in order to flush out my initial very positive reactions. But, the sound does seem to have opened with less constraint and is much more delightful overall.
                                                                                    When the opportunity to spend some quality time critically listening to the entire series presents itself I would like to indulge that request. Most of my efforts to date have not been thorough enough to pick the pieces apart but I have been very pleased with what I have heard. My account of the new series so far parallels with yours.
                                                                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 1199

#43

In Australia the 804D compares directly with the BE model on price- they are both $12k and our dollar is almost at parity with the US dollar.
                                                                                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                                                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Jun 2004
                                                                                        • 1036

#44
                                                                                        Without having the B&W's in the same room , I can't comment of a Vs other then memory and emotional tie to both speakers.

I really enjoy Totem Rainmakers. I sat in listened to them at our shop a few times now and I am amazed each and every time. They are powered by a Cambridge Audio Integrated . For 2 channel I'm really considering taking them home. The price point they are at is such a steal.

B&W CM line all I can say is WOW! Such a crazy detailed line for a outstanding price point. I'm really liking the floor models in the cm7 and 9.

Congrads on your purchase , the D series is fantastic as I only heard the 803's. I want to get my ears on the 805 and 804.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 1676

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Dmantis
                                                                                          Without having the B&W's in the same room , I can't comment of a Vs other then memory and emotional tie to both speakers.

I really enjoy Totem Rainmakers. I sat in listened to them at our shop a few times now and I am amazed each and every time. They are powered by a Cambridge Audio Integrated . For 2 channel I'm really considering taking them home. The price point they are at is such a steal.

B&W CM line all I can say is WOW! Such a crazy detailed line for a outstanding price point. I'm really liking the floor models in the cm7 and 9.

Congrads on your purchase , the D series is fantastic as I only heard the 803's. I want to get my ears on the 805 and 804.
                                                                                          Thanks. The other speakers that I really wanted to hear as well were the Harbeth HL-Compact 7ES-3 and their Super HL5 Speaker. Unfortunately, they are only sold through resellers, and from what I could gather, most are operating out of their homes. I was not able to put a trip together of over an hour to get an audition, even though the seller was trying to be very accommodating. Our days just did not match up.
                                                                                          Link to Harbeth Speakers with pricing: http://store.acousticsounds.com//s/32/Harbeth_Speakers
                                                                                          The manufacturer maintains strict territory agreements with the resellers, so if anyone is interested, they will have to find out if there is one in your same state.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"